Mobs in PoF beta undertuned for demo?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Yeah, fighting a bunch of shrooms with 2 or 3 smokescales in the mix is soooooooo much fun …

There is only one spot on one map where that is possible and after you get to and do the golem HP you never ever have to go anywhere near there again.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

What is easy for you, could be difficult for others. Depends on what class you play and how well you have trained yourself. Your “NPCs” will usually die very fast and no enemy remains engaged with them.

As for knowing how to play, what’s the point in playing the demo on a build you don’t know anything about?

And the npcs can actually survive for a long time so I don’t know what you are talking about here. Did you actually play the demo?

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

Jeez … if you want raid difficulty mobs, go play raids. This is open world. Open world mobs aren’t supposed to be hard.

There was a point in time where champion, veteran and elite meant something from mobs.

Now it just means more stats, more HP and potentially 3-6 more levels than a player can have.

I’d be nice of them to make challenging group fights in the open world that make use of these things. The bounties are a step in the right direction, but also have their own issues.

You’re SPOT ON!

For them everything is measured after 2013 as the content kept getting nerfed.
Folks complain how HOT is too difficult, yet many of them were never around prior to 2013.

Flame Legion Shaman use to be hard and fun!

It’s rather funny seeing some of these comments.

*If it’s hard, it’s boring and not fun.
*If it’s easy, it’s boring and not fun.

There obviously needs to be a balance, but it doesn’t end there.
Then you have the other features in game.

I swearing listen to some of these comments is like listening to some high maintenance girl/boy friend.

More power to ANET on their long term relationship that ends up in divorce after each content release.

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

There is only one spot on one map where that is possible and after you get to and do the golem HP you never ever have to go anywhere near there again.

Sorry, forgot to put up my sarcasm sign.

Well, that’s not a fair comparison.

• He’s not level 80.
  • He hasn’t unlocked all of his skills. Not to mention traits.
  • His equipment is probably a bunch of greens and blues.
  • The footage is most likely from a press demo pre-release. (Noticed the compass?)
Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Posted by: Sepheiron.4918

Sepheiron.4918

As someone who just recently returned to GW2 (after 3-4 years) I might be able to give you the view of a newbie:

Playing HoT for the 1st time felt extremely frustrating sometimes (Note: I played as a warrior). Unfair mob numbers and combinations often gave me a headache, especially in the Personal Story (e.g. last mission where you gotta fight vs Canach, Eir and that other Sylvari gal and the mission where you gotta save Logan and that Asura). Sometimes I had to revive multiple times in a row just to do a little bit damage each time. The AI of your companions is also pretty bad, sometimes they decide to revive you, other times they completely ignore you. Also the maps in HoT are very confusing (due to many different planes) but that’s another story.

I don’t want to run brain-afk through the personal story but I do want to run over the maps without having to worry to die every moment even though I’m using the streets (i.e. no more mushroom mobs, thank you!).

Rhanoa.3960

• He’s not level 80.
  • The footage is most likely from a press demo pre-release. (Noticed the compass?)

You didn’t have to be lvl 80 for champion, veteran and elite to be challenging.
The video is a perfect example of how EPIC the event was.
You obviously missed Beta and release in 2012.

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

That’s exactly my point. The event was challenging and “epic”, because the players didn’t have all their skills, any of the equipment we have today or any of the experience. All you have to do to recreate that experience is create a new character, get some crappy gear and enjoy the event.

Nope. Been playing Guild Wars since ’07. Sorry.

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Rhanoa.3960

As someone who just recently returned to GW2 (after 3-4 years) I might be able to give you the view of a newbie:

Playing HoT for the 1st time felt extremely frustrating sometimes (Note: I played as a warrior). Unfair mob numbers and combinations often gave me a headache, especially in the Personal Story (e.g. last mission where you gotta fight vs Canach, Eir and that other Sylvari gal and the mission where you gotta save Logan and that Asura). Sometimes I had to revive multiple times in a row just to do a little bit damage each time. The AI of your companions is also pretty bad, sometimes they decide to revive you, other times they completely ignore you. Also the maps in HoT are very confusing (due to many different planes) but that’s another story.

I don’t want to run brain-afk through the personal story but I do want to run over the maps without having to worry to die every moment even though I’m using the streets (i.e. no more mushroom mobs, thank you!).

It’s not the same game from 3-4yrs ago.
If you need help please don’t hesitate to hit me up. Especially with your personal story.

Rhanoa.3960

That’s exactly my point. The event was challenging and “epic”, because the players didn’t have all their skills, any of the equipment we have today or any of the experience. All you have to do to recreate that experience is create a new character, get some crappy gear and enjoy the event.

Nope. Been playing Guild Wars since ’07. Sorry.

Have you even gone back at level 5? It’s not the same, it total softcore, cuddlecore, lookatmeI’madorablecore.

UPDATE
Nerfed even worst than before.

*Killed at lvl 2 in just a few seconds.
*With 2 skills
*Undergeared.
This is far less than what we had.

Attachments:

(edited by Rhanoa.3960)

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

“hard and fun”

To often i get the impression that players who consider hard content to be fun, fail to understand that not everyone considers hard content fun.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Depends. I absolutely think anything tied to HPs needs to be soloable. That was a mistake that they made with HoT.

And there is nothing wrong with big boss world events and stuff like that. I love those things and yes, they need a group. I’m actually sad that they nerfed several of the world bosses so that they are too face roll now. There should be some difficulty to these massive events.

However, regular random mobs across the map? Yeah, those don’t need to be really hard. The last thing I want is to be trying to get from point A to point B and being dismounted every five seconds by trash mobs that take long to kill. That is NOT fun. That is boring as hell. IMHO the bounties are a great way to integrate group content. The random champ event here and there is fine too (not hero point or mastery related please). And then world boss level events should be challenging of course.

xarallei.4279

• He’s not level 80.

Oh I miss that event. It was loads of fun back then. It got the nerf bat hard.

“hard and fun”

To often i get the impression that players who consider hard content to be fun, fail to understand that not everyone considers hard content fun.

This is true. But there can be a compromise. Like I said before, you don’t need regular trash mobs to be hard. Those should be a normal difficulty. Also, things tied to HPs or mastery points should also be soloable. But that doesn’t mean there can’t be more difficult group content in the open world too. Which is where things like the bounties come into play. Maybe we will get interesting world bosses too. But hopefully, there will be content to satisfy BOTH groups of people

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Posted by: Mel.3064

Mel.3064

“hard and fun”

Noone asked open world content to be super hard. But if you use some of the worst builds possible it should at least be challenging.

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

Who understands this community?!

“Please nerf HoT, it’s too difficult compared to the rest of the game, we can’t play, we get lost”

“Please buff mods OMG everyone in this game is a pro and if you get killed you SUCK! Bring back OP mobs and train based hero points”

Gee no one can please you.

Posted by: otto.5684

otto.5684

I’d be nice of them to make challenging group fights in the open world that make use of these things.

Why in the open world?

I just read a comment from a guy in the official feedback thread, complaining about how easy the open world mobs were using his raid setup. Seriously? Are you friggin kidding me? OF COURSE they’re easy when you’re using your raid setup! The more challenging content one plays, the easier it gets. So at some point open world content is going to feel easy, but that’s the way it is supposed to be!
We have raids and fractals and dungeons for challenging group fights – we don’t need them at every corner in the open world.

I didn’t say in every corner of the open world. I said, they done a horrible job at maintaining appropriate mob archetypes and relative power scaling.

A Veteran mob should be able to be handled relatively easily by 1 person
A Elite Mob should likely require 1 good person or 2 Average players
A Champion should require 3-4 good players or 5-6 Average players

Events with all of these should scale appropriately, and Group Dynamic events need to have much better Scaling that isn’t just add more HP.

This is not correct. While dynamic events do scale up, you do not need 3-4 people to fight a champion. Most champions can be soloed. I do not expect this to change.

As for PoF difficulty, I think it was about right. It is not piece of cake easy, but also not a challenge, as open world events are not supposed to be so.

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

I would argue that, although some champions can be soloed, not all of them can be. I’ve certainly run into some that can’t be soloed by me.

maddoctor.2738

Who understands this community?!

“Please nerf HoT, it’s too difficult compared to the rest of the game, we can’t play, we get lost”

“Please buff mods OMG everyone in this game is a pro and if you get killed you SUCK! Bring back OP mobs and train based hero points”

Gee no one can please you.

Maybe, just maybe, because there are lots of different players in the community?

xarallei.4279

Exactly. That person is assuming that the same people who complained about the difficulty of HoT are the same people who complain about it not being hard enough. They aren’t.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I’d be nice of them to make challenging group fights in the open world that make use of these things.

Why in the open world?

I just read a comment from a guy in the official feedback thread, complaining about how easy the open world mobs were using his raid setup. Seriously? Are you friggin kidding me? OF COURSE they’re easy when you’re using your raid setup! The more challenging content one plays, the easier it gets. So at some point open world content is going to feel easy, but that’s the way it is supposed to be!
We have raids and fractals and dungeons for challenging group fights – we don’t need them at every corner in the open world.

I didn’t say in every corner of the open world. I said, they done a horrible job at maintaining appropriate mob archetypes and relative power scaling.

A Veteran mob should be able to be handled relatively easily by 1 person
A Elite Mob should likely require 1 good person or 2 Average players
A Champion should require 3-4 good players or 5-6 Average players

Events with all of these should scale appropriately, and Group Dynamic events need to have much better Scaling that isn’t just add more HP.

This is not correct. While dynamic events do scale up, you do not need 3-4 people to fight a champion. Most champions can be soloed. I do not expect this to change.

As for PoF difficulty, I think it was about right. It is not piece of cake easy, but also not a challenge, as open world events are not supposed to be so.

Dear lord… take notice of the word SHOULD. Not Mandates, Not is Required. Should, in an ideal perfectly tuned and balanced open world state.

We are so far from that it’s not even funny right now, and it should change because of one very simple reason. If everything in the game can be done solo, at what point in time would you ever look to join a guild & form friends ?

A vast majority of the people who say X Content is too hard right now are the “Pro as heck” solo guys/gals who get in over their britches. Instead of accepting help and working with a group to get through tougher stuff, be it events, fractals, hero points, dungeons or raids.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

“HoT is hard enough, no need to make the rest of the game like that”

I’m tired of this outlook, players who have a hard time with content expect it to be made easy for them just so they can continue playing the game and accomplish everything you can do in it, maps, events, masteries, full rewards etc.

By that notion, you have 25 maps from Central Tyria to go auto-hit mobs in. Having 2/3rds of the game tailored to you isn’t good enough?

First of all, HoT is not hard, HoT has ~mechanics~. All of those things you have having trouble with like, avoiding AoE circles, needing to defend against and CC enemies, do jumping puzzles and overall use strategy and tactics?

That’s called ~gameplay~, and its what separates a high-budget MMO from from one of those games you pick off Steam for $1-10 or even F2P.

This game has always been very casual, let the players who want something else out of it have something else out of it for a change without having to have everything nerfed, dumbed down, simplified, face-rolling easy.

Sorry, but this is one of, if not the easiest MMOs in existence. I know its not fair to compare but its like a bunch of kids who are having huge bowls of ice cream in front of them getting upset that someone else wants some cake too.

And its not about raid builds, I play mostly non-meta characters, lots of support builds, even a few tank builds, and PvE is just “kitten , kitten , kitten ”. Slowly over the years I’ve lost the ability to find myself immersed in any combat in the game even on badly played characters because its just “hit one until the bar reaches zero”. The only content left that requires more is fractals and raids.

I find it ironic that I am one of the most casual players in GW2—lots of alts, not a single meta build, all characters in mostly exotics, heavy support focus, yet people still somehow find the time to argue with me that the game is difficult because the don’t want to crawl out of bed and drink some coffee to play it.

I could understand if you’re disabled (as I am), but otherwise.. meh.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If everything in the game can be done solo, at what point in time would you ever look to join a guild & form friends ?

At the point you will think it’s nice to have friends.
Guilds are, and should, be more of a social construct, not exist just for the sake of doing content.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Rhanoa.3960

I’m tired of this outlook, players who have a hard time with content expect it to be made easy for them jsut so they can continue playing the game and accomplish everything you can do in it, maps, events, masteries, full rewards etc.

By that notion, you have 25 maps from Central Tyria to go auto-hit mobs in. Having 2/3rds of the game tailored to you isn’t good enough ?

First of all, HoT is not hard, HoT has ~mechanics~. All of those things you have having trouble with like, avoiding AoE circles, needing to defend against and CC enemies, do jumping puzzles and overall luse strategy and tactics ?

That’s called ~gameplay~, and its what separates a high-budget MMO from from one of those games you pick off Steam for $1-10 or even F2P.

This game has always been very casual, let the players who want something else out of it have something else out of it for a change without having to have everything nerfed, dumbed down, simplified, face-rolling easy.

Sorry, but this is one of, if not the easiest MMOs in existence. I know its not fair to compare but its like a bunch of kids who are having huge bowls of ice cream in front of them getting upset that someone else wants some cake too.

And its not about raid builds, I play mostly non-meta characters, lots of support builds, even a few tank builds, and PvE is just "kitten , kitten , kitten ". Slowly over the years I’ve lost the ability to find myself immersed in any combat in the game even on badly played characters because its just “hit one until the bar reaches zero”. The only content left that requires more is fractals and raids.

I find it ironic that I am one of the most casual players in GW2—lots of alts, not a single meta build, all characters in mostly exotics, heavy support focus, yet people still somehow find the time to argue with me that the game is difficult because the don’t want to crawl out of bed and drink some coffee to play it.

Tom Cruise moment..
You can be my wingman anytime

Posted by: ZhouX.8742

ZhouX.8742

You should know by now after like literally since the release of this game that open world content isn’t meant to be difficult. It’s meant to be farmed, every day for shiny skins and gold.

I don’t agree with that, but it obviously is what is and has been that way for a very long time.

Tanbin

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

I was extremely disappointed as well. Maybe it’s not as braindead boring as Core Tyria where I fall asleep with mobs standing still struggling to even just auto attack and the rare telegraphed skill… but still too easy in comparison to HoT. Major turn off.

Stella Truth Seeker

Posted by: Snowywonders.1378

Snowywonders.1378

I’m tired of this outlook, players who have a hard time with content expect it to be made easy for them just so they can continue playing the game and accomplish everything you can do in it, maps, events, masteries, full rewards etc.

By that notion, you have 25 maps from Central Tyria to go auto-hit mobs in. Having 2/3rds of the game tailored to you isn’t good enough?

First of all, HoT is not hard, HoT has ~mechanics~. All of those things you have having trouble with like, avoiding AoE circles, needing to defend against and CC enemies, do jumping puzzles and overall use strategy and tactics?

And its not about raid builds, I play mostly non-meta characters, lots of support builds, even a few tank builds, and PvE is just "kitten , kitten , kitten ". Slowly over the years I’ve lost the ability to find myself immersed in any combat in the game even on badly played characters because its just “hit one until the bar reaches zero”. The only content left that requires more is fractals and raids.

Preach

Truly sad how people complain about HoT mob difficulty and want it toned down. The difficulty is just now, like you said, having to use blocks , dodges, and some cc, ie PLAYING the kittening game. Then you have clowns coming in here saying that raid difficulty should stay away from open world, like lol what, no one is asking that.

The PoF demo Hydra was a joke. It’s fireball hit me for like 2k on a zerker armor warrior and its charge attack even less. Instead of “gotta dodge that charge attack because it’s dangerous”, it’s “gotta dodge that charge attack cus otherwise ill fall asleep faster”

Astralporing.1957

No, core alone is not good enough when you bought an expansion expecting that it would have something for you, and then found out that it didn’t.

The problem with HoT was that Anet wanted the whole game community to fund the expac meant for only a small minority. I really hope they won’t make that mistake ever again.

And back to new expac, personally, i haven’t seen any problem with PoF mobs and definitely wouldn’t want them to be made any harder than they already are.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I’m actually sad that they nerfed several of the world bosses so that they are too face roll now. There should be some difficulty to these massive events.

Honestly, all the world bosses are probably the most balanced they’ve ever been. If they seem weak, it’s because players are stronger relatively than they were when the game launched.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I’m actually sad that they nerfed several of the world bosses so that they are too face roll now. There should be some difficulty to these massive events.

Honestly, all the world bosses are probably the most balanced they’ve ever been. If they seem weak, it’s because players are stronger relatively than they were when the game launched.

The problem with World Bosses is that they lack meaningful mechanics. Heart of Thorn’s bosses feel a lot better.

Also – That Flame Legion Shaman and his Effigy should have been upgraded to Plains of Ashford’s World Boss.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I didn’t play the demo,but I sure hope they won’t make random mobs nowhere near as obnoxious to fight as the ones in HoT.
At least in the first 3 zones.
The mobs(the new ones not the recycled from HoT) in the latest season 3 maps seem to be a lot better tuned for open world content.It’s a good sign.
Remember that the open world non DE/World Boss content is meant for casuals too.
If you throw in mobs of Dungeon difficulty in there,you are basically telling the casuals to kitten off.
And they usually do just that,they leave the game.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

If everything in the game can be done solo, at what point in time would you ever look to join a guild & form friends ?

At the point you will think it’s nice to have friends.
Guilds are, and should, be more of a social construct, not exist just for the sake of doing content.

Really then ?

Explain why so many guilds exist solely to do content ?

Why do we have guilds like TTS/TML/SAND/DT etc….Guilds put together to do content….TOGETHER.

Like heck, just because you want a social guild doesn’t mean the guilds that do content aren’t social.

It’s also extremely baffling to think that you clamor for solo content but then whine and complain when you cannot do group stuff. So much for the social part i suppose ?

Posted by: Smiggles.6823

Smiggles.6823

Preach

Truly sad how people complain about HoT mob difficulty and want it toned down. The difficulty is just now, like you said, having to use blocks , dodges, and some cc, ie PLAYING the kittening game. Then you have clowns coming in here saying that raid difficulty should stay away from open world, like lol what, no one is asking that.

The PoF demo Hydra was a joke. It’s fireball hit me for like 2k on a zerker armor warrior and its charge attack even less. Instead of “gotta dodge that charge attack because it’s dangerous”, it’s “gotta dodge that charge attack cus otherwise ill fall asleep faster”

Warrior has the highest base health in the game and is a heavy armor class. Wear your same full zerker armor on an ele and suddenly you find going full dps in melee range is much more risky and difficult. Content needs to be accessible to multiple playstyles. Part of the way they’re dealing with this on ele is giving them barrier because having full glass builds with the 11k health leaves you hugging the ground once your dodges are gone.

Posted by: Snowywonders.1378

Snowywonders.1378

Preach

Warrior has the highest base health in the game and is a heavy armor class. Wear your same full zerker armor on an ele and suddenly you find going full dps in melee range is much more risky and difficult. Content needs to be accessible to multiple playstyles. Part of the way they’re dealing with this on ele is giving them barrier because having full glass builds with the 11k health leaves you hugging the ground once your dodges are gone.

Ele is my main class. And I do it play it full zerker. Is it really more risky than warrior though? Trait waterline and just switching to water provides an instant heal. Wh5 earth can blind entire mobs, Wh earth 4 has a nice reflect with prot. Use dagger 3 inside water Wh5. Easier to do damage up close than a warrior too. You can stand outside melee range with overload air and dagger 1 has range 300. The wide variety of tools ele has makes it less riskier than war imo. Personally, I solo easiest with ele.

And how does current HoT mob difficulty not allow you to play any play style? It’s all possible to do using anything, just as long as you know the new mechanics of the enemies. No one is asking for dungeon/fractal/raid difficulty with 1 shot death mechanics. Just enemies that at least make you feel something.

Astralporing.1957

Like heck, just because you want a social guild doesn’t mean the guilds that do content aren’t social.

Agreed, however, just because there are guilds aimed at specific content doesn’t mean that hard content requiring a lot of people is the only reason for guilds’ existence, like you claimed.

It’s also extremely baffling to think that you clamor for solo content but then whine and complain when you cannot do group stuff. So much for the social part i suppose ?

Oh, i clamour for guild content as well. Why do you think i ask for easy mode raids, for example? And why i’m so set against turning fractals into 5-man raid instances?
Hint: it’s not so i can solo them.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Sikil.9817

Sikil.9817

I think ANet have moved away from pitching a whole map at a single difficulty level and towards deliberately making easy areas and harder areas. Many of the LS3 maps have zones that are more difficult to fight through than the rest of the map: the jade area in Ember Bay; Rata Arcanum; the shrine of Balthazar. Compare the difficulty contrast of those — especially the Balthazar shrine compared to the other shrines, which are positively relaxing — to, for example, the differences in mob difficulty across Tangled Depths (mordrem? Chak? You need to be paying attention against both.)

I’m expecting something similar in the new maps. The toughest areas probably weren’t in the demo. Given that some players think the HoT over world was too hard, and others think it was too easy, this seems a reasonable way to give everyone content they enjoy.

I’m a bit disappointed that my glass cannon daredevil survived being jumped by three Hydras, though. I mean, it was an exciting battle, but I would expect one Hydra to be “exciting” and three to be “I’m eating sand now”, they could do with a tune-up

Posted by: psychosiz.7109

psychosiz.7109

My cousin is a very casual player. They make up a very large core of the games population. They are pretty much a non vocal group who aren’t hardcore gamers who rarely post in forums, if at all. When they speak, they speak by not playing or paying so its felt. His response to me was simple when I asked him to play, “why would I play HOT, its to hard to solo, its boring, and hard to get around. I get some people will like the challenge but I am not one of them. I don’t have the time to craft the gear I need for raids or make the money needed to buy it.” I asked him what he wanted. He responded, “I like the core game, people asked for harder content and they got HOT, I want something like the core games difficulty. Something I don’t need to be a hardcore gamer to play. This weekend when I played the POF demo, its the first time I enjoyed this game in a long while.”

Keep in mind I am not trying to support his choice, but rather give an example of what he is thinking. Believe it or not, according to marketing reports on this game specifically, his type of player makes up as much as 70% of the people who play this game. I do believe however, its the other 30% who sustain the game over the long haul. My point is marketing reports show if you don’t cater something to your largest crowd, you will be losing valuable funds.

maddoctor.2738

Believe it or not, according to marketing reports on this game specifically, his type of player makes up as much as 70% of the people who play this game.

Got a link for those marketing reports because I’d like to read them

Posted by: Irreverent.3594

Irreverent.3594

boring to fight even if you used those terrible builds with no elite spec and non optimal gear you gained from character creation

Woah. Stopped reading right there.

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

Another Ex-WoW elitist player complaining why the mobs don’t one shot him…

That statement doesn’t even make sense since WoW’s open world content has been face-roll since Wrath of the Lich King. (unless the last expansions suddenly took a 180 degrees turn and made stuff hard again, which I rather doubt)

That said, personally I wouldn’t mind if the new expansion started a bit “easier” introducing new mechanics (like the barrier). HoT really threw you in at the deep end and people coming from PS were in for a very rude awakening. Though, honestly, I’m not sure if PoF is the right place to “ease” people into the more challenging content since the majority will (try to) play through HoT first anyway. I know my sister will likely go PS -> LS2 -> HoT -> LS3 -> PoF, but then again we’re both cRPG players, so we do care about the story…

Personally I wish they’d add something between PS and LS2 to gradually ramp up the difficulty to avoid “HoT-shock” and, y’know, maybe bridge the story-gap between those two bits as well since the summary of LS1 is woefully insufficient. I really think this would be healthy for player retention, and as such, the longevity of the game as well, but I digress…

maddoctor.2738

Personally I wish they’d add something between PS and LS2 to gradually ramp up the difficulty to avoid “HoT-shock” and, y’know, maybe bridge the story-gap between those two bits as well since the summary of LS1 is woefully insufficient. I really think this would be healthy for player retention, and as such, the longevity of the game as well, but I digress…

That “one time event” strategy for LS1 really hurt the game in terms of difficulty because LS1 was considerably harder than the core game and it was a good way to prepare players for LS2. And LS2 was an excellent way to prepare players for HoT. Unfortunately, now players can jump to HoT without playing either LS1 nor LS2, or not even finishing the personal story thanks to the instant-level 80 boosts.