Mobs in Starter Zones Lie

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

I’ve been wandering around in starter zones, only finding that the mobs don’t do what the game says they do. A drake in Ashford Plains don’t do knockback, Forest Spiders in Queensdale don’t poison, and Sons of Svanir in Wayfarer Foothills don’t freeze and bleed, but they do knockback and cripple. I’ve come across a Son of Svanir, the abilities it said was knockback and bleed, but he only did knockback.

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

Didn’t they change/nerf the mobs’s skill in low lvl zone so that it would be easier for newbies?

edit: from patchnote
Reduce Low-Level Complexity:
In an effort to reduce early game complexity, enemies that cause conditions, enemies with attacks that require players to dodge, and bundle items were removed from low-level areas.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

Removed because too confusing for new players.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I don’t mind terribly some of these complexity reductions in the early game, but stuff like this (not updating mob info) just makes the changes seem incomplete and unpolished.

A person can argue that these things need to be more or less complex, but no one can argue that an inaccurate mob description is helping new players.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

It was a messy implementation. I’m just surprised the company didn’t realize how many detailed updates would be needed to make this giant of an overhaul actually not have major issues. It’s like building the game from scratch. It can’t be done just a little bit. Imagine trying to change the foundation of a house this way. It would topple.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

It’s because having monsters poison you when the monster info says that they poison is too confusing for new players.

Sokia.3710

It was a messy implementation. I’m just surprised the company didn’t realize how many detailed updates would be needed to make this giant of an overhaul actually not have major issues. It’s like building the game from scratch. It can’t be done just a little bit. Imagine trying to change the foundation of a house this way. It would topple.

They did rebuild most of the game from scratch by completely changing the difficulty curve as well as stat gains on level up. The massive number of bugs shows that they did not think this through very well or test the changes properly before the patch went live.

Sokia.3710

I suggest they Just change all of the enemies in the start zones into ambient creatures.

That’s actually a really good idea.

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Well, it’s consistent with removing all bundles and more complex mechanics from hearts and events, replacing them with repeatedly pressing F. And with removing any and all will to fight from the Wayfarer bunnies.

Apparently boring is the new interesting.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Is the mob you fighting level 10? I don’t think all mob attack is unlock till level 10…

Sokia.3710

Well, it’s consistent with removing all bundles and more complex mechanics from hearts and events, replacing them with repeatedly pressing F. And with removing any and all will to fight from the Wayfarer bunnies

That’s why I said it’s a good idea. Having hostile monsters in the starter areas could be confusing. I mean, those red names might attack you before you attack them. If you are just starting out with the game, you might not be ready to die yet.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

just give us pre searing EXACTLY as it was, don’t care that it doesn’t make sense just make that the starting area

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Sokia.3710

just give us pre searing EXACTLY as it was, don’t care that it doesn’t make sense just make that the starting area

OMG, a complete reproduction of pre-searing in Guild Wars 2.

I would TOTALLY make a perma-Pre character.

It would probably confuse newbies, though, what with the whole jumping 250 years into the future and finding themselves in Shaemoor, and not a day older no less….

Posted by: Detritus.5863

Detritus.5863

I’ve been wandering around in starter zones, only finding that the mobs don’t do what the game says they do. A drake in Ashford Plains don’t do knockback, Forest Spiders in Queensdale don’t poison, and Sons of Svanir in Wayfarer Foothills don’t freeze and bleed, but they do knockback and cripple. I’ve come across a Son of Svanir, the abilities it said was knockback and bleed, but he only did knockback.

It’s been like this for ages, possibly even from day one. Mobs in low level areas might have the same affixes as those in higher level areas, but without the associated skills to use them.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

The irony is now because they have the old abilities listed but don’t use them the enemies are even more confusing.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Low level enemies have never used those listed skills. Nothing changed.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Fish in Metricas first lake (barracudas iirc) said they"bleed/ sumoned allies"

they never did

before the update

think they are gone now

probably due to misbehavior ;P

It was like that before the update.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

MikaHR.1978

It’s because having monsters poison you when the monster info says that they poison is too confusing for new players.

The irony is now because they have the old abilities listed but don’t use them the enemies are even more confusing.

Baseless rants are baseless

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And this is it, I don’t like the update, so everything I don’t like about the game is because of the update, like that guy who made that video that said that now you can’t die in the tutorial anymore…which has been true forever. But you know, let’s blame this update.

MikaHR.1978

And this is it, I don’t like the update, so everything I don’t like about the game is because of the update, like that guy who made that video that said that now you can’t die in the tutorial anymore…which has been true forever. But you know, let’s blame this update.

This update killed my cat!

And kicked the Puppy!

But at least now some people pay attention to some stuff. Its at least partial success ;D

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

To be fair,
Most players. New and veterans, don’t look up monster info. ……………

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Fish in Metricas first lake (barracudas iirc) said they"bleed/ sumoned allies"

they never did

before the update

think they are gone now

probably due to misbehavior ;P

It was like that before the update.

Actually, the majority of barracudas stopped spawning more barracudas because it became an endless loot farm (since the spawned barracudas also had the spawn barracuda skill and also dropped loot).

:/

Still happens with some wolves.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’m going assume you don’t know what rant means considering the context you used it within. Because this isn’t a rant. Not even remotely rant-like.

I ? Karkas.

MikaHR.1978

I’m going assume you don’t know what rant means considering the context you used it within. Because this isn’t a rant. Not even remotely rant-like.

Everyone can judge for themselves.

Or you now presume its all too confusing?

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

I find this mob ‘rebalancing’ ridiculous. I am getting owned repeatedly by level 9ish golem in metrica who launches his sequence of barrage at me – if he executes the entire thing I go down. And I don’t have weapon swapping yet, or skills, to counter that (only dodging – so I have to not dodge on other enemies that are with him to survive). So unless I’m fighting with a weapon that has an interrupt, I’m doomed.

Also I’ve been repeatedly stunned by lower level mobs, having 0 skills that break stunner (because I have 0 skills). Too funny.

With taking away so many things at lower levels they actually made things harder lol. Which I kind of like. They just need to stop touching the game, I swear.

PS: Just want to add what I said before: Instead of taking away things, Anet should focus on teaching new players things like interrupts and combo fields.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The more I analyze and think about it; the more absurd the leveling changes of the past 2 feature patches have been. They should never have changed it. It was fine to begin with, and now they’ve created more problems in trying to fix what wasn’t broken. How many resources went to waste on this unpolished crap?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Jesus guys… come on.

Is it that hard to accept that you are above the bell curve of the average MMO player, and that maybe it WAS too kittening confusing or “too hard” for those on the average or below?

Or is always all about you, and anything that doesn’t cater to you and your needs is worthless and terrible and ruins the game?

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

Jesus guys… come on.

Is it that hard to accept that you are above the bell curve of the average MMO player, and that maybe it WAS too kittening confusing or “too hard” for those on the average or below?

Or is always all about you, and anything that doesn’t cater to you and your needs is worthless and terrible and ruins the game?

That’s not the point. Arenanet should stop catering to brainless cretins. Because that’s exactly the type of player these changes are aimed at. And it’s not just Arenanet and GW2. Since gaming stopped being a niche hobby for some computer nerds and became widely acceptable, the gaming industry wants to appeal to as many people as possible. Hence the systematic dumbing down to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

It’s really sad to watch Arenanet (NCsoft cough) taking this path as well instead of swimming against the current. Because that was my first impression from arenanet from all those years ago: a company that wants to be different by creating an MMO-experience unlike anything else. I guess they grew lonely being different.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Jesus guys… come on.

I wouldn’t actually care that much if they would pay more attention to details, like the mobs giving inaccurate information or the extreme wonkiness with downscaling that exists now.

But, to address your point directly – people are not that stupid, and most gamers like to be given room for discovery and experimentation at their own pace. Anybody that doesn’t “get it” isn’t going to be interested in playing GW2 to begin with. It was hardly overwhelmingly complex before; these changes were simply unnecessary and a waste of resources that could have been used on something much more productive.

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

The Centaurs are also liars when they say
“Weakness makes me sick!”

I’ve applied weakness on countless centaurs and I’ve yet to see any physiological changes going on.

Is this intended behaviour?

Would love a dev to confirm if possible

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

In an effort to reduce early game complexity, enemies that cause conditions, enemies with attacks that require players to dodge, and bundle items were removed from low-level areas.

Despite their stating that enemies that apply conditions were removed in low level (starter) zones (or at least removed their ability to apply conditions), I still encountered enemies in Metrica Province that applied conditions on a new character.

I also encountered at least one condition-applying enemy in Queensdale and Caledon Forest. However, I did not encounter any condition-applying enemies in Wayfarer Foothills. I found at least one in Wayfarer Foothills as well.

I have not entered Plains of Ashford yet to see if I encounter any condition-applying foes in that zone yet.

So far:

• Metrica Province – Still has condition-applying foes
  • Caledon Forest – Still has condition-applying foes
  • Queensdale – Still has condition-applying foes
  • Wayfarer Foothills – Still has condition-applying foes
  • Plains of Ashford – Unknown (have not visited there on my new character yet)

Seems they either intentionally left some condition-applying foes in the starter zones and that statement of their being removed is false, or they unintentionally left some foes remain due to not being thorough enough and it is an oversight that they would likely remedy in the future.

edit – updated
Also – bundles:
I just remembered that I’ve also encountered some bundle items in the starter zones.
I’m not so sure that patch note statement is actually accurate at all.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

And kicked the Puppy!

But at least now some people pay attention to some stuff. Its at least partial success ;D

The update is pretty bad and if you play you should know that people aren’t complaining just on the forum. The only people that are not complaining are the ones that never knew how it was before the patch, but if you explain how it was they say they would have preferred levelling with the old system.
On a positive note, at least for the veterans, with the excuse that is all a giant bug, they will revert the changes.

P.s. You’re coming back posting on forum after a long hiatus and you agree with basically every post Vayne is creating. Are you a stolen account or what?
I’m the only one that remember the MikaHR battling against Ascended and Vayne’s opinion with 89 posts in the same thread? °____°

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

They did rebuild most of the game from scratch by completely changing the difficulty curve as well as stat gains on level up. The massive number of bugs shows that they did not think this through very well or test the changes properly before the patch went live.

and that’s why a PTS is needed, they think they have everything under control while in fact they are messing with things they can barely keep up with.

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

I started noticing this too. Since almost all conditions have been removed from starting zones the descriptions will have to be changed. If getting some poison icon showing up was confusing people I can’t imagine how baffled they will be reading “Poisons” under the name and seeing no difference to other mobs.

Eliminating conditions from these zones is a mistake in my opinion. Once again having come from other MMOs this was one of those interesting mechanics that excited me from the start of GW2. Since the players are started at level one being able to apply conditions (and thus needing to learn about how they work) I see no logical reason to have them eliminated from mobs.

But whatever, the leveling goes so fast now that by the time you read those erroneous descriptions you’ve already moved on to the next area.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

MikaHR.1978

And kicked the Puppy!

The update is pretty bad and if you play you should know that people aren’t complaining just on the forum. The only people that are not complaining are the ones that never knew how it was before the patch, but if you explain how it was they say they would have preferred levelling with the old system.
On a positive note, at least for the veterans, with the excuse that is all a giant bug, they will revert the changes.

P.s. You’re coming back posting on forum after a long hiatus and you agree with basically every post Vayne is creating. Are you a stolen account or what?
I’m the only one that remember the MikaHR battling against Ascended and Vayne’s opinion with 89 posts in the same thread? °____°

Dude i have 11 80ies and 5 more lowbies of various levels.

Me not posting on forums is really not your concern.

Do you think i consider GW2 100% perfect game?

Do you think im so petty that i cant see that people have different opinins on different stuff or hold somekind of a grudge rofl

NPE is peanuts for true vets, its insignificant.

And “vets” have spilled so much missinformation about this that they needed a dev to hold their hand through it. Its kinda hard to argue “its not needed” when “vets” themselves prooved its very much needed.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

MikaHR.1978

Despite their stating that enemies that apply conditions were removed in low level (starter) zones (or at least removed their ability to apply conditions), I still encountered enemies in Metrica Province that applied conditions on a new character.

I also encountered at least one condition-applying enemy in Queensdale and Caledon Forest. However, I did not encounter any condition-applying enemies in Wayfarer Foothills. I found at least one in Wayfarer Foothills as well.

I have not entered Plains of Ashford yet to see if I encounter any condition-applying foes in that zone yet.

So far:

• Metrica Province – Still has condition-applying foes
  • Caledon Forest – Still has condition-applying foes
  • Queensdale – Still has condition-applying foes
  • Wayfarer Foothills – Still has condition-applying foes
  • Plains of Ashford – Unknown (have not visited there on my new character yet)

Seems they either intentionally left some condition-applying foes in the starter zones and that statement of their being removed is false, or they unintentionally left some foes remain due to not being thorough enough and it is an oversight that they would likely remedy in the future.

edit – updated
Also – bundles:
I just remembered that I’ve also encountered some bundle items in the starter zones.
I’m not so sure that patch note statement is actually accurate at all.

They didnt say low level zones, just low level areas. 1-10 is low level area.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

They didnt say low level zones, just low level areas. 1-10 is low level area.

Ah, I see.

To me, “low-level areas” implies actual zones (areas) that are low-level (denoted 1-15 on the map). Instead, as you have kindly pointed out, their statement of “low-level areas” is regarding “low-level sections of starting zones”.

Thank you for assisting with that clarification. I see now what they were attempting to convey had been changed.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

And kicked the Puppy!

Do you think im so petty that i cant see that people have different opinins on different stuff or hold somekind of a grudge rofl

And “vets” have spilled so much missinformation about this that they needed a dev to hold their hand through it. Its kinda hard to argue “its not needed” when “vets” themselves prooved its very much needed.

Just stating what I noticed, nothing else, you can post or not post as much as you want xD
Also the problem it’s not huge for vets, and as long as we will be able to “reroll”, they can destroy the whole levelling experience, making it became more and more tedious, year after year, vets will never care, you create a new chara, use a scroll 20, use some tomes, choo choo eotm or reroll reroll rerooooll all the way to 80. Who gives a kitten, right?

Remember this:
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

The wrong about these changes is not the fact that is damaging vets now, but that is another step away from the direction this game was headed, just like ascended.
This is a little step, but the road is made by walking.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Erick Alastor.3917)

MikaHR.1978

And kicked the Puppy!

Just stating what I noticed, nothing else, you can post or not post as much as you want xD
Also the problem it’s not huge for vets, and as long as we will be able to “reroll”, they can destroy the whole levelling experience, making it became more and more tedious, year after year, vets will never care, you create a new chara, use a scroll 20, use some tomes, choo choo eotm or reroll reroll rerooooll all the way to 80. Who gives a kitten, right?

Remember this:
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

The wrong about these changes is not the fact that is damaging vets now, but that is another step away from the direction this game was headed, just like ascended.
This is a little step, but the road is made by walking.

Ascended was a mistake that effected whole game.

This (even if you think its bad) effects first hour-ish of playing. Theres very little locking and in some stuff they even gave more freedom (weapon abilites, thank you)

As much as people harp about it level gaing was in since LAUNCH.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And kicked the Puppy!

Mika and I agreed on most things before the ascended debacle and even back then, I said I understood why Anet did it, that’s all. I was never a fan of ascended stuff. That’s not the same as believing there’s a reason to do it. I never needed it personally.

There are more than a few people who think like I do. Many of them don’t post, because they don’t like the conflict. I draw the fire from most of them.

I’m happy Mika is back.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Mobs in low-levelled maps were always a nerfed version of their true power. (Enemies don’t poison, knockback, etc.) The update just kind of made it “official”.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

Look. These mobs were NOT too confusing for newbs. They were properly balanced to slowly introduce new players to the concepts that provide more challenge as the level of content increases.

The only reason they had to be nerfed was to bring them in line with the character nerfs resulting from the delayed introduction of skills and traits under the NPE. Changes which were also utterly unnecessary and greatly degrade the early level play experience.

The game could have provided a much better introduction for new players through a thorough, optional tutorial system. Not only to introduce the mechanics, but to provide hand holding guidance for those who felt overwhelmed by the non-linear, non-quest hub driven content.

Instead, we have changes to early game that are fun killing, frustrating and still don’t address most of the issues that even intelligent players new to the game were having adjusting to the game’s design.

In one way, it’s not as bad as the SWG NGE, because the impact on existing post level 40 characters is negligible. However, for the level ranges most impacted by NPE and the effects it has on the first impression experiences of new players, or alt play for veterans, it’s actually much worse than the much maligned SWG NGE that sunk that title.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Everyone can judge for themselves.

Or you now presume its all too confusing?

You my friend deserve a PhD in Snarky sarcasm. Good work on trying to insult me over making a clear and obvious joke. \o/

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: XunlaiSpy.9384

XunlaiSpy.9384

I suggest they Just change all of the enemies in the start zones into ambient creatures.

I got an infraction for that post. Hurrah

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

I got an infraction for that post. Hurrah

they infracted you for giving a suggestion?

they should infract themselves for pushing out a patch like this then

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Low level enemies have never used those listed skills. Nothing changed.

Exactly. IF anything, it made fighting those mobs in later levels not so surprising when they did use those skills listed