Moderately annoyed asking advice from players

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: literalirony.7591

literalirony.7591

I asked: as a warrior what runes or orbs would you run in knight’s armor? And no one could say anything except DITCH KNIGHT’S DITCH KNIGHT’S FULL ZERK FULL ZERK FULL ZERK

I asked them what their reasons were for never running anything but zerk, and it EVENTUALLY came out that you didn’t need any mitigation because a guardian or d/d elementalist can keep you alive

I asked, what if you don’t have these in your party? What if you’re in a PUG and you want some mitigation with knight’s armor?

The general consensus was “join a better guild.” C’mon. I didn’t want to be told to “just use zerk,” I wanted some advice on what to slot into my knight’s armor!

(edited by literalirony.7591)

Posted by: chaosgrimm.5837

chaosgrimm.5837

Yeah… lot of “what isnt optimal is bad” round these parts.

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Since all builds and playstyles can work, people will answer with what they think is best and what best helps them. A zerker warrior is very powerful and a great asset to a party. Play how you like, but don’t expect people to answer your questions with a build that is unique to you.

Posted by: Sick and Dying.8612

Sick and Dying.8612

Honestly it doesn’t really matter what you run. I run full knight’s (weapons, armor, and jewelry), with dolyak runes. Is it optimal? Hell no. Does it work? yes. I do dungeons, open world and WvW with the same gear. I guess what I’m trying to say is, it’s hard to go wrong.

Now if you’re looking for suggestions here are a few. Building tanky is meh, other classes can do it better. If you want some tank i think Knight armor with zerker jewels is a good medium between tank and damage. For runes, Soldiers is a good choice if you use shouts. You could also slot zerker jewels in your armor if you want more damage. For the love of god though, don’t use dolyaks they suck, about 30 hp for the #6….

Anyway don’t take some players too seriously, especially some warriors who think zerker is the only way to go. It works very well for COF1 speed farming but can be a pain for other party member to play with in other places.

Figure out what you use most in your skills, look at this:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune
and choose one that makes up a deficiency, or enhances something you are good at. But yeah again, don’t use dolyaks, they suck.

Posted by: CelebrityX.7014

CelebrityX.7014

I asked: as a warrior what runes or orbs would you run in knight’s armor? And no one could say anything except DITCH KNIGHT’S DITCH KNIGHT’S FULL ZERK FULL ZERK FULL ZERK

I asked them what their reasons were for never running anything but zerk, and it EVENTUALLY came out that you didn’t need any mitigation because a guardian or d/d elementalist can keep you alive

I asked, what if you don’t have these in your party? What if you’re in a PUG and you want some mitigation with knight’s armor?

The general consensus was “join a better guild.” C’mon. I didn’t want to be told to “just use zerk,” I wanted some advice on what to slot into my knight’s armor!

My suggestion might be to use Valkyrie stat orbs (Pwr, Vit, Crit Dmg) or sigils that have some crit damage vitality/power in them. I don’t follow the zerker mentality on my warrior either (just my preferred playstyle). I imagine though most on the forum will tell you just to go zerker. I say choose whatever is best for your playstyle and build.

Posted by: Circling Skies.1872

Circling Skies.1872

My main is my Guardian and I can honestly tell you I have no clue what I put into my armor and have no idea my trait points layout and I have zero issues surviving alone or in a group. So from my standpoint, as long as you have level appropriate gear you will be ok. I think Zerks a such a big catch-phrase because of the increase damage potential they can have. Runes and Ords are pretty cheap so I would just play around with different ones to see what you like best.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Full zerk is squishy. I refuse to rely on others to keep me alive.

Knights Gear, Dolyak Runes, Valkyrie trinkets.

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

My warrior’s normal armor is:
gauntlets, shoulders, boots = berserker
helmet, chest, leggings = knights
Runes: Soldier runes x 6

He also has full soldier armor (temple armor) with soldier runes, and MF rare armor with 5 pirate runes, 1 traveller rune.

Long as you carry multiple armors, then you’re covered, haha.

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

The reason I run full Zerk gear in PvE the overwhelming majority of the time is because once I became competent with the games dodge mechanic, all other gear/builds for my Warrior are sub-optimal.

That said, there are tons, TONS of non-zerk builds for you to choose from and they are very, VERY easy to find on the Warrior forums. Something you should remember though, is that when you ask for advice, try not to throw a temper tantrum when the advice you get is not what you wanted. Instead, consider doing some of your OWN research to find the answer/options you prefer.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

The reason I run full Zerk gear in PvE the overwhelming majority of the time is because once I became competent with the games dodge mechanic, all other gear/builds for my Warrior are sub-optimal.

That said, there are tons, TONS of non-zerk builds for you to choose from and they are very, VERY easy to find on the Warrior forums. Something you should remember though, is that when you ask for advice, try not to throw a temper tantrum when the advice you get is not what you wanted. Instead, consider doing some of your OWN research to find the answer/options you prefer.

Just want to echo this. There’s a vast difference in running with a group that’s full zerker and a group that’s not. The amount of deaths are roughly the same, but the content is completed MUCH faster with the zerker group. It’s simply the design of the content.

That being said, play how you want to. If you feel too squishy as full berserker, then don’t use it. Just be forewarned, there are a handful of groups out there that do gear checks and will not take anything less than a full zerker warrior.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

I’ve never been in a group that has done gear checks nor would I ever stay in one that did. Run with whatever keeps you alive and you enjoy using.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I agree, so avoid speed farmers and you’ll be fine. My warrior has a combination of knights and zerker gear. (Helm, Legs, Chest are knights, shoulders, boots, gloves are zerger), runes of the soldier, knights trinkets with exquisite ruby orbs,

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

This again lol.

The zerker stuff typically centers around dungeons, especially when people want speedruns and to a lot of them, committing the simple crime of picking whatever is not fotm is illegal. In open world (doesn’t really matter what you wear) and wvw, the situation is quite different. In PvE, mostly, monsters usually just stand there and let you dps them and the biggest threat is highly damaging, unthinkable attacks that you’re better off dodging anyways. Thus killing them fast is needed so less accidents can happen. (Of course, what a lot of people don’t tell you is that they skip most of the mobs anyways, which is very telling).

No matter how stupid another player is, they will sometimes, indeed move away from your attacks, so your attacks are not all guaranteed to hit. So you can’t just blah blah1000000 damage on them with telegraphed moves.

Though ironically, in wvw the inverse (soldier’s) is considered that or gtfo, but I don’t really agree with that either.

Granted, I feel if you don’t know what you’re doing, you’re most likely better off with zerker. It’s never a bad choice to hurt an enemy.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

I asked: as a warrior what runes or orbs would you run in knight’s armor?

As a guardian, I prefer ruby or emerald orbs. YMMV.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

you could use knights gear for a shout build
—> runes of the soldier

very useful to get rid of conditions as warrior doesnt have much condi remove otherwise
and the high armor will defend you from being bursted down too fast

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

Warriors usually have a decent crit chance.. using my healing signet and the elite signet I have around 67%….

and 3k armor 20kish life…. it’s good to be a warrior!

that being said, after getting around 3k armor, and a crit chance that you like, +crit damage is good to have.

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

It’s not wrong at all to use Berserker’s stats, but the idea that it’s the ultimate stat combo “for those who know how to dodge” is a bit limited. Many, many players know how to dodge, knowing the game’s mechanics, and still choose not to go full Berserker’s (your choice is entirely valid, however.)

IMHO, the Berserker’s stats shine in group play, but less so the less Berserker’s players are in the group. This is in no way a problem with the other players, as you cannot blame them for their gear choices (not choosing what you choose isn’t stupid-it’s a personal choice.) Indeed, the reason Berserker’s stats players should join for CoF 1 and similar super easy GW2 ventures is not only speed, but that their survival actually depends on things dying fast, and if they don’t, they are actually in great danger-even if they know the game’s encounters and know how to dodge.

Ironically, some people excel at the CoF 1 system, and fail when using the same gear in other places (not every Warrior, mind you.) CoF 1 is not all GW2 is, but just a learned way to farm gold. The few players that only created a Berserker’s Warrior to farm that system often realize the little skill needed to master that area and do it efficiently does not necessarily translate to other places, or even the PvE map.

And finally, the reason Berserker’s stats shouldn’t be used as a sort of GW2 mastery badge is simply because it’s not a playstyle that will satisfy all players. Many great players will do better in other gear, simply put due to the affinity they have with that gear’s and build playstyle vs the high risk/high reward style of play of wearing high offense, zero defense builds (I.E. people shouldn’t be forced to follow a meta that doesn’t matches their personality or playstyle.) Of course nobody is forcing anyone to go one way or the other in this thread; I was just mentioning it because I feel Berserker’s is fine, but so can be everything else for somebody else’s individual playstyle. What’s optimal in a meta doesn’t always translate that well to all players, because not everyone thrives playing the same way.

(I do agree that the OP shouldn’t have been surprised with the common Warrior player’s response-even if I wholly disagree with it myself-and that it isn’t a big deal or reason to make an angry thread about it. Sure, the GO ZERK reply sounds unintelligent and close-minded, but is that uncommon? And yes, the OP should have looked at his/her own answers rather than relying on random players’ opinion s about gear.)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Full zerker is absolutely optimal when running trinity (guardian/warrior/mesmer), cof1, or in any PvE fight (eg. Lupicus) where the fight is known and the dodge mechanic is sufficient to avoid taking sustained damage.

I , personally, run full knight’s armor (zerker weapons) with soldier’s runes and all zerker trinkets as my all-purpose running around build. The build is sub-optimal, but general purpose. I can comfortably do all PvE without feeling like I’m a mistake away from death and even drop into WvW if I want to. If my intent was to optimally run dungeons in a premade I would adjust my build for it…but, that’s not my intent.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

In the knights armor from my warrior i use superior runes of lyssa, they work really well since warrior’s elite skill has a low cooldown (48 secs if traited) and we have a trait that increases damage for every boon on you, so basically runes of lyssa makes you enter in godmode for 5 secs every 48 secs ^^
That increases the duration from fury and swiftness too, if your elite skill gives 33secs of then it will give +5 secs with the effect from the rune.
I think i have the same dps of a zerker warrior in those 5 secs and a much higher survivability, and also high precision from the rune.

For me it was cheaper to buy the armor with karma from the temple and transmute it to the knights armor i crafted.

Oh, i forgot to say that runes of lyssa also cure all conditions you have when you use an elite skill, very useful

(edited by Casmurro.9046)

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

When you’re gearing your first character it may seem like a big decision choosing a good stat combination.
However a little while down the road you’ll see it’s pretty easy to get top gear.
For example: my warrior has a full zerker set for farming cof/easy dungeons; a zerker/soldier mix for high level fractals; a soldier/knight set for wvw; and a magic find set. And that’s just one of my 5 lvl 80s. Each character has multiple armor sets on them for different situations.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I run knights and valk, with a few zerk trinkets to round out my punch. I plan on swapping my armor to celestial once I can afford to craft it though, which will require me to do some reworking. (Staff ele primary).

I know someones going to scream about that but meh, they can lick my toes. I play how I want to play, and celestial fits my jack of all trades style. XD

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Full zerker is absolutely optimal when running trinity (guardian/warrior/mesmer), cof1, or in any PvE fight (eg. Lupicus) where the fight is known and the dodge mechanic is sufficient to avoid taking sustained damage.

I , personally, run full knight’s armor (zerker weapons) with soldier’s runes and all zerker trinkets as my all-purpose running around build. The build is sub-optimal, but general purpose. I can comfortably do all PvE without feeling like I’m a mistake away from death and even drop into WvW if I want to. If my intent was to optimally run dungeons in a premade I would adjust my build for it…but, that’s not my intent.

I agree with Raine’s analysis.

I am going to step out on a limb here. First, I have 3 warriors at 80 (I have 43 alts), and have experimented with different combos of builds/armor.

Currently running Fractals with a 4-man guild group and have built one of my warriors specifically for doing just that in synergy with the rest of the group and more importantly my own playstyle.

That warrior has Knight’s armor. And started with Berserker accessories.

She runs with Superior Rune of the Soldier for the shouts. Synergistically in my group, I am damage/tank/ and more importantly part healer.

We are working in the Fractal 10+ range (which may not seem like a huge deal to those past 40+… something we will not attain with only 4 people.) It’s challenging enough for us atm. This warrior also works well for our group doing Explorables with 4, something I know other folks are also doing.

Take everything you get with a grain of salt.

And remember, free advice is always worth what you pay for: nothing

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

i disagree with this expectation of other people to keep you alive considering we are supposed to be able to take care of ourselves in this system without a trinity. i say, wear berserker gear if you can take care of yourself through dodging and uses of blocks etc. If you find you need some additional survivability, add some defensive gear in little by little until you find a balance that works for you.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

I run knights and valk, with a few zerk trinkets to round out my punch. I plan on swapping my armor to celestial once I can afford to craft it though, which will require me to do some reworking. (Staff ele primary).

I know someones going to scream about that but meh, they can lick my toes. I play how I want to play, and celestial fits my jack of all trades style. XD

Actually, full celestial for an Ele with divinity runes is probably going to be the way to go. Ele’s have always been the jack of all trades. Should be interesting.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Actually, full celestial for an Ele with divinity runes is probably going to be the way to go. Ele’s have always been the jack of all trades. Should be interesting.

I won’t need to lick your toes either. My Ele (d/d here) is currently busy collecting Celestial trinkets as we speak.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Full zerk.

Use dodges and invulns/evades/prot to mitigate damage.

RIP in peace Robert