Molten Alliance Pick - good or bad idea?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

yeah.. if people are buying it, more likely for convenience . if people are buying it for long term saving, then you should attend maths class…..

I bought it for theme.

ah ok…. good for you. yeah like i said if people are buying it, it should be for other reason than long term saving……

Thanks

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I don’t buy gems, and an infinite pick is not worth $10 in gold to me. So very much a BAD IDEA, an utter waste of developer resources I funded with my purchase of this game.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

judging on how quickly the gem to gold rate has changed since they put this in the store I’d say it was a good idea.

I would have gotten one if it was account bound. For a soul bound item, it needed to be at least half of that cost for me to get it.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

I love it. I do gathering runs every day and hate swapping picks or having to equip a new one when the old runs dry (especially in Orr, where nodes occasionally pop up near active shrines, so you have to leave the AoE, before you can equip a new one).

I do wish it was account bound, though. Not that I’d move it between characters routinely, it’s just my main is a ranger that I’d never usually choose fire themed gear for. It would suck if next month there was a Frost option and I’ve already soulbound Molten. I’d like to be able to transfer it to another character if ever a more fitting option becomes available.

Posted by: Sagaris.7602

Sagaris.7602

I don’t buy gems, and an infinite pick is not worth $10 in gold to me. So very much a BAD IDEA, an utter waste of developer resources I funded with my purchase of this game.

So when did you become representative of 100% of the GW2 population? Guess I missed that memo.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

So when did you become representative of 100% of the GW2 population? Guess I missed that memo.

It’s called an opinion. Opinions are allowed to be self-centered.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

IMO this is finaly something what worth my gold. Yes it take long than you get money back in term of mining but you dont need carry backup picks ect
Personaly I bought it for that epic mining efect

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

Great item, just bought one, Axes and Sickles next plz

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Posted by: Iridiana.9078

Iridiana.9078

Bad.
Gem Store was meant to offer items which do not advantage players who can pay.
Now welcome to the pay to win!

Iridiana – Sylvari Ranger
Server: Piken Square
Leader of Dark Shines [Dsh]

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Bad.

It’s just a mining pick. Where’s the advantage over other players? It’s not going to make a CoF run faster, or survive krait bombs easier. Just because a character is not going to need to buy regular picks anymore doesn’t mean its a game winner.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Bad.

You mean a guy who buys a pick for $10 real money at the gem store (which you could get with in game gold anyway if you really wanted it), can now far stuff that you can farm also by buying a pick with silver.

A pick that will take a year or two to break even on for most people?

Over-react much?

Iridiana.9078

Bad.

You mean a guy who buys a pick for $10 real money at the gem store (which you could get with in game gold anyway if you really wanted it), can now far stuff that you can farm also by buying a pick with silver.

Over-react much?

It is the concept. If you pay you get something which advantage you as you have free slots in your bag (cause you don’t have to carry 2-3 picks at least in order to have a replacement when you destroy one) and you don’t have to pay silvers anymore to buy picks.
Today it’s a pick, tomorrow you don’t know. If it’s gonna sell well they are going to put more items like this and even better. It’s a signal.
Like the gear trademill… They stated there would never be a trademill and then they changed their mind and we are full of ascended items…
Gem Store was for cosmetic items only? Now it’s starting a slow change (while they are testing selling rates and people reactions with a first little item) and I foresee what will happen in the next months: more RNG and more pay-to-win if people like it and keep paying for it.

(edited by Iridiana.9078)

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Bad.

Over-react much?

It is the concept. If you pay you get something which advantage you as you have free slots in your bag (cause you don’t have to carry 2-3 picks at least in order to have a replacement when you destroy one) and you don’t have to pay silvers anymore to buy picks.
Today it’s a pick, tomorrow you don’t know. If it’s gonna sell well they are going to put more items like this and even better. It’s a signal.
Like the gear trademill… They stated there will never be a trademill and then they changed their mind and we are full of ascended items…
Gem Store was for cosmetic items only? Now it’s starting a slow change and I foresee what will happen in the next months: more RNG and more pay-to-win while people keep paying for it.

Slippery slope fallacy.

Your argument is invalid.

Furthermore it depends entirely on the assumption that this item has a tangible advantage, which it does not.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I’m at work so i cant check
Can someone tell me the price of the pick in gems please
Thank you

Posted by: iFocus.3781

iFocus.3781

Some fun math on the Molten Alliance Pick.

Currently costs 21.6 gold (this has probably changed).
That’s 540 regular 4 silver picks.
That would require you to mine 54,000 nodes to make up for how much you spent on it.
That ends up being 162,000 pieces of ore.
Good luck ever mining that much, but I bought one anyways :p.

With Odin as my witness I hate you for doing that math. I somewhat suspected that I would come out a loser in this deal, but I neven bothered to do the maths to verify.

Thank you so much for making me a selfaware greedy idiot x]

marnick.4305

Thank you

800. It’s quite steep. You’ll only buy it to support a.net, since it hardly gives any advantage. Costs more than it’s worth honestly.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Iridiana.9078

Bad.

Over-react much?

Like the gear trademill… They stated there will never be a trademill and then they changed their mind and we are full of ascended items…
Gem Store was for cosmetic items only? Now it’s starting a slow change and I foresee what will happen in the next months: more RNG and more pay-to-win while people keep paying for it.

Slippery slope fallacy.

Furthermore it depends entirely on the assumption that this item has a tangible advantage, which it does not.

And how someone is not advantaged? You pay real money and you don’t have to spend silvers in game anymore. Or you’ll buy gems with golds and after 500 orichalcum picks you’ll have compensated the cost. You also have free slots in your inventory.
I will sit and wait to see the next set of better items you can pay to be advantaged.
Next Living Story Theme we’ll get the axe, then the sickle… Maybe next the free teleporter in order to avoid spending silvers at waypoints!

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Bad.

How is an ever-lasting mining pick “pay to win”? How does the “advantage” it affords a player make him any better than another? The Gem Shop was never intended to strictly sell cosmetics, as you later state. Convenience items, of which this pick is one, have been available since day one.

I didn’t create this topic because the pick strikes me as pay2win; because, frankly, that’s such an absurd notion it never crossed my mind. I created this topic because I was worried – not to any great deal, mind you – that it might have a negative impact on the economy (or might pave the way for items that do).

They’ve received the negative feedback and they also have the sales figures to show that no matter how much they exploit people’s addiction, the RNG and overpriced business model is still more profitable than fair pricing with happier consumers.

I don’t want to go off topic, but I do want to make a brief comment on this. I’m not privy to their numbers, so this is speculative, but I’d wager a hell of a lot more people would pay $5 to $10 for a bundled dye pack containing each of the six new colors than are willing to risk RNG at ~$1.5 for a ~1/6 chance to get one of them.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

As with the outfits and the dye packs, the fact they’re not account bound stops me buying them. The store stuff is frivolous (intentionally, and I approve of this), and I’d be much more inclined to impulse by things that I could move around in future if I realised it wasn’t what I want on a specific character.

I’m sure ANet has done the maths, but I really feel like they’d get more sales from lots of people buying one item that is account bound than a few people buying several of the same item that is soul bound.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Meh, if they were going to last the lifetime of the game I might consider getting one for convenience. But they specifically say they match Ori picks, which means when they launch the inevitable expansion in 6-9 months with a new tier of stuff and mats, this pick will be useless.

marnick.4305

Bad.

Over-react much?

Slippery slope fallacy.

And how someone is not advantaged? You pay real money and you don’t have to spend silvers in game anymore. Or you’ll buy gems with golds and after 500 orichalcum picks you’ll have compensated the cost. You also have free slots in your inventory.
I will sit and wait to see the next set of better items you can pay to be advantaged.
Next Living Story Theme we’ll get the axe, then the sickle… Maybe next the free teleporter in order to avoid spending silvers at waypoints!

You use that number “500” as if it is a small number. Your entire argument hangs on whether or not a return on investment can be expected with these picks.

I do not expect to use the equivalent of 500 picks in the lifetime of this game. Most people are not going to mine that much. Therefor, there’s no advantage for the vast majority of people buying these picks.

Iridiana.9078

Bad.

Over-react much?

Slippery slope fallacy.

You use that number “500” as if it is a small number. Your entire argument hangs on whether or not a return on investment can be expected with these picks.

I do not expect to use the equivalent of 500 picks in the lifetime of this game. Most people are not going to mine that much. Therefor, there’s no advantage for the vast majority of people buying these picks.

I’m not using 500 picks too in the next year. But what I mean it’s that this could be a first signal.
Now is it a very veeeeeery little advantage… and anyway it is selling so well and gems are overpriced as hell if you want to buy them with golds today. I think it means they’ll keep introducing items like this in gem store (or the problem will be if they’ll introduce items better than this).

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

Thank you

800. It’s quite steep. You’ll only buy it to support a.net, since it hardly gives any advantage. Costs more than it’s worth honestly.

Thank you for the info, i will be buying it when i get home

Posted by: Codata.2019

Codata.2019

It’s not worth it.

marnick.4305

Bad.

Over-react much?

Slippery slope fallacy.

I’m not using 500 picks too in the next year. But what I mean it’s that this could be a first signal.

Which is called the slippery slope fallacy and considered an invalid form of argumentation.

Now is it a very veeeeeery little advantage… and anyway it is selling so well and gems are overpriced as hell if you want to buy them with golds today. I think it means they’ll keep introducing items like this in gem store (or the problem will be if they’ll introduce items better than this).

Right now there’s absolutely no advantage. Maybe extremely long term a small advantage can be expected, but talking half a decade here …. your point is still invalid.

marnick.4305

It’s not worth it.

Value for money it’s indeed not worth it. It’s worth it for the looks, convenience and support for your favourite game.

Iridiana.9078

Bad.

Over-react much?

Slippery slope fallacy.

Which is called the slippery slope fallacy and considered an invalid form of argumentation.

Right now there’s absolutely no advantage. Maybe extremely long term a small advantage can be expected, but talking half a decade here …. your point is still invalid.

Unless you are not able to read english or to understand it’s so boring to argument with people like you. Your answers are pointless and invalid as you haven’t wrote a single reason to validate your statements.

Posted by: Codata.2019

Codata.2019

It’s not worth it.

Value for money it’s indeed not worth it. It’s worth it for the looks, convenience and support for your favourite game.

Yea. That’s what i am speaking of. Simply 800 gems (~22 gold) its not worth it.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

It’s not supposed to pay for itself to most players. It’s a limited time prestige item that offers new animations and convenience. It just so happens that usage of the item reduces its price over time by saving you money on picks, eventually paying off its cost for a small percentage of players.

If they released unlimited use prestige axes and sickles, I’d buy them too.

marnick.4305

Bad.

Over-react much?

Slippery slope fallacy.

Unless you are not able to read english or to understand it’s so boring to argument with people like you. Your answers are pointless and invalid as you haven’t wrote a single reason to validate your statements.

You’re saying this item gives an ingame advantage (which it does not) and try to build a slippery slope around it, which is not a valid argument.

English ain’t the problem, but rather your ability to phrase a valid argument.

For more information of why you’re wrong, please read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope#Fallacy

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’m thinking of buying it for convenience and the fun animation, which I saw last night. It’s pretty sweet, but I’m wondering if it’ll get annoying after prolonged use. It’s a fairly overt animation. Are there sound effects too that would make it annoying after prolonged use?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

The new pick is a great idea.

1. This will drop ore/ingot prices even for lower ores.
2. This provides an infinite supply of ore. It ensures you can dig any ore in any zone. One reason why you would not go to lower level zone is that you dont want to waste your 4s orichalcum pick on copper nodes, the new pick gets rid of that and ensures an ample supply of every ore. Thus indirectly causes people to go back to lower level zones.
3. This will make bots worthless. Given that the prices will drop down to ores being practically free, bot farming the ore will become unproductive.

The next thing will be the Unlimited Logging Axe.
I want a Logging Axe that make little fairies fly out of the tree and scream!

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Although it doesn’t suit my main’s theme in the least, I purchased it because of the sheer convenience of never having to buy one again. If I played my other alts anymore then maybe I would rethink it, but after ascended was released my alts mostly just sit next to the crafting stations awaiting “orders” from me. Still awaiting the other two to be released now seeing as ANet has shown they don’t mind having one in the game.

I will of course buy those too with dollars to gems to show my support; I use my in game gold for upgrades to my character.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

For the record, I personally did not buy one. It’s not that I’m against them, but there are two hangups for me. One, I have five mains (as opposed to a main and four alts), so getting one for each of my characters is too expensive to justify. And I’m not going to favor any one of my characters over the others. Two, and perhaps more importantly, I don’t like the animation. I appreciate it, but it’s not for me.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

The primary issue with Arenanet making this sort of thing account bound is people buy them anyway.
As long as they are making money, they are going to keep doing this sort of thing, no matter how ridiculous it is.
On the various threads that have come up on this topic, there are many people in each thread who have stated they bought one at it’s current price and usability, some who have bought multiple ones.
Why should Arenanet change anything about it at all?
Until the majority of the customer base decides that they aren’t going to purchase something because it isn’t account bound, Arenanet is going to continue to sell these things are these prices with the same restrictions.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Yes, because I’m sure it took SO MANY resources to create.

Bad.

Over-react much?

Slippery slope fallacy.

Pro tip: You can buy ori quality gathering tools with karma. I’ve never spent ingame money on my gathering tools.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Iridiana.9078

Bad.

Over-react much?

Slippery slope fallacy.

Pro tip: You can buy ori quality gathering tools with karma. I’ve never spent ingame money on my gathering tools.

Really? Who is the vendor? I already buy salvage kits from racial weapons vendors… I have tons of karma, I won’t spend a single silver on gathering tools anymore if I can get them with karma!

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

I really hate having to carry around a ton of picks and store karma picks in the bank all the time just because I’m a cheap kitten.

You’re a cheap kitten and yet you’re going to spend far more on a permanent pick than you’re likely to ever spend on picks anyway.
wat

I am one too! I even avoid waypointing if I can and I won’t waste that much time on it, it doesn’t matter if I’m with 10 or 200 gold, I still dislike seeing that silver going away haha.
Still, I bought it and I don’t mind at all. It looks awesome, it’s unique and available only for this time and I don’t feel guilty mining everything, I feel awesome about it actually.

I know and understand this is all “feeling” and doesn’t really equate economically, but it’s fun like that.

@Iridiana: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gathering_tool Check it out.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Really? Who is the vendor? I already buy salvage kits from racial weapons vendors… I have tons of karma, I won’t spend a single silver on gathering tools anymore if I can get them with karma!

Crusader Patrick, a Heart vendor in Bloodtide Coast, sells the Mining Pick for 602 karma. It can mine everything, and has 25 uses.
Considering the 25 uses it’s rather annoying due to how much inventory it will take up, and WPing to him will offset a lot of the money you save.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Bad.

Over-react much?

Slippery slope fallacy.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mining_Pick

The other ones come from a different vendor.

Crusader Patrick, a Heart vendor in Bloodtide Coast, sells the Mining Pick for 602 karma. It can mine everything, and has 25 uses.
Considering the 25 uses it’s rather annoying due to how much inventory it will take up, and WPing to him will offset a lot of the money you save.

Only if you refuse to buy them in bulk, which would be silly. A single daily buys a healthy amount.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Can anyone who has one of these if the animation and sound effects get annoying after a while?

I know it’s only been like a day but I can see this losing its luster and just being annoying, especially if a few people are mining the same node.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Only if you refuse to buy them in bulk, which would be silly. A single daily buys a healthy amount.

Yeah, but like I said, due to the 25 uses each it will eat up a lot of inventory space, which may not be worth the lowered cost.

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

Yeah, but like I said, due to the 25 uses each it will eat up a lot of inventory space, which may not be worth the lowered cost.

Well, there’s an easier solution.. A lot cheaper too. Just buy the one in Southsun Cave.
You have to start an event and after it’s done you have 30secs where you can buy 100 Oricalchum Mining Picks for 350 karma I believe.

@Seara: For me, atleast for the foreseeble future, it will take a while to get old… I mean, it’s just really awesome. As for sound effects, they aren’t that flashy so it’s spot on imo.

EDIT: Just got a link for you guys: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orichalcum_Mining_Pick
It’s where I used to buy. The event can be a bit tricky to solo, but with two it gets easy.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

Bad.

Pay to win? lol

Sure, a guy who mines every orichalcum node on the world every day during the next 3 years or so will compensate the 800 gems cost of this mining pick. For the rest (99,9%) of the players…

By the way, what a brilliant way of making money: saving on the mining picks! With yours 20g+ you could just buy some super skins that 3 years from now will be worth a few times the current price.