Molten Pick... Ori or Master?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m debating if I should get the Molten pick and it really comes down to 1 question. Is this new pick equivalent to an Ori Mining Pick or a Master Mining pick.

For those who don’t know, Ori Picks will only mine things up to Ori grade, while Master picks are capable of mining all metals. This means in 6-9months when they announce the expansion and increase the tier of materials, Ori picks will be useless, but Master picks will be good as ever. So the question is… is this an Ori pick or a master pick?

If I can use this pick for the rest of the game it is probably worth the 55,000 uses it would take to break even. If it is going to be obsolete in 9 months or so then it probably isn’t worth it.

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

It is selling more on the convenience and the animation more than the Master vs. Ori.

More than likely the first of many gathering tools with animations to sell for $$.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

who sais they will bring the tiers up for new materials?
Maybe they don’t, or maybe you need special equipment for it so that even a master pcik doesn’t work?

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The functionality is secondary for me. The animation + skin is the selling point for me

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Level 60 master pick = orichalcum pick = molten pick.

Don’t judge the future possibilities of an item based on its tooltip, since the orichalcum pick also states that it can be “used to mine all metals” and therefore, it should also last forever.

The molten pick may be useful for a year, but I doubt it’ll last forever. They would eventually want you to buy another one after all. Plus, if it was intended to last forever, they probably wouldn’t have gone with masterwork.

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Actually orichalcum gathering tools state that they can be used on everything, not “X and lesser”.
Also, only one of the Master tools can be used on everything, the lower level ones are not Orichalcum grade, they’re lesser.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Orichalcum is the highest grade ore right now so don’t understand your wondering of equivalent..ness.

I do know that 500 orichalcum picks are about equal in price if you were to buy gems with gold. So it doesn’t seem worth it in my opinion

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

It is ori. And masters are not capable of breaking anything, they are level based. And i dont really care if they will be obsolete since they are practice and cool. Bought 2, will buy more next week.

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

I’m seriously considering buying this not because I think it will save me money on picks in the long run, but so that I won’t have to worry about pick management anymore. I won’t need to constantly check how many uses I’ve got left. I won’t need to remember to buy more picks. I won’t have to use up inventory spaces to store extra picks on me. I won’t need to switch between mithril and orichalcum picks. I can equip a molten pick and then just forget about picks altogether unless I’m on an alt. It is an item of convenience.

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

Read the discription. Clearly says ori.

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

Posted by: Topix.6974

Topix.6974

They need an Molten Alliance Logging Axe and Molten Alliance Harvesting Sickle…

Mentally On Call – 80 Elementalist
Mentally Disturbed – [MD]
Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Topix.6974)

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I’d say its money well spent for me. The animation is pretty interesting, kinda cool for my Ele. Especially if you go through as much OCD mining as me. I can go through a stack of mining picks pretty quick.

Even if in the future we do see a higher grade Ore. I don’t think it will be within this year at least imo.

Definintely worth it for a main. Would be interesting to see variants in the future for other stuff. Burning ore with lava pits is fun, but I don’t think it would work for trees and stuff. Wouldn’t be anything left. :P

Animation for anyone who cares (pretty much a lava font under the vein):

Attachments:

(edited by Katreyn.4218)

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

They need an Molten Alliance Logging Axe and Molten Alliance Harvesting Sickle…

Doesn’t fit the theme. When the Nightmare Court and Inquest join forces they’ll develop the Laser Guided Tree Destroyer, and the Centaurs and Sons of Svanir will be found carrying the Dragon’s Claw Gardening Tool.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I’m debating if I should get the Molten pick and it really comes down to 1 question. Is this new pick equivalent to an Ori Mining Pick or a Master Mining pick.

For those who don’t know, Ori Picks will only mine things up to Ori grade, while Master picks are capable of mining all metals. This means in 6-9months when they announce the expansion and increase the tier of materials, Ori picks will be useless, but Master picks will be good as ever. So the question is… is this an Ori pick or a master pick?

If I can use this pick for the rest of the game it is probably worth the 55,000 uses it would take to break even. If it is going to be obsolete in 9 months or so then it probably isn’t worth it.

Depends which master pick, the master pick with a lower than 35 level limit can only mine up to mithril (if 35) and like darksteel if 15. Judging from the description, this pick will mine ALL metals so yeah, you’re covered for any possible future nodes that may be release if that ever happens.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Depends which master pick, the master pick with a lower than 35 level limit can only mine up to mithril (if 35) and like darksteel if 15. Judging from the description, this pick will mine ALL metals so yeah, you’re covered for any possible future nodes that may be release if that ever happens.

There is also the fact that they could just release “other” ore and gatherables that share the same tier. Entirely avoiding having to code new tools etc.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

you know what, i think this is worth the money.

Attachments: