Molten pick axe costs 10.8 euros!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

I wanted the infinite pick-axe badly, but I didn’t have enough money to buy the necessary gems for it and I was running out of time, so for the first time, I bought a gem-card!

The gem card costed 27 euros, and gave me 2000 gems.
The pickaxe costed 800.

27*(800/2000)=10.8euros!
I didn’t realized earlier, but that’s a lot of money! It’s a monthly subscription for a paying MMO and with gem-gold trade its about 470 times the cost of orichalcum mining picks.

You’ll have to be playing for a lifetime to make a profit in in-game gold for this!

I live in Greece, and the incomes are low here, but I think these prices are expensive for everyone!
Anyone ales thinks the same way?

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: lordmitz.2047

lordmitz.2047

i’m not the first to say this, but:

it’s meant to be a vanity item, not a money-saver.

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

mine cost me a super greatsword skin and i still had gold left over to bank.

The best thing is never getting ruined ori ore again from using a lower pick by mistake.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Convenience items are supposed to be expensive.

Ever bother checking the other convenience items in the TP? The permanent BL Contract goes for nearly 200g. The portable mystic forge is like 70g. The permanent customization kit goes for freaking 400g.

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

Well…
It’s true that there is the extra convenience of not having to buy, equip, change or run out of mining picks again, so the item does releave you of some of the game’s frustrations, but it’s clearly not something to be bought often, and I was expecting to at least being able to use something I paid a monthly subscription on on alts.

I’m happy that I finally got to spend some real money on the gem-store and help A-net get out some cool patches, but it’s clearly something that I shouldn’t do often. I’ll keep my remaining gems for the next possible infinite gathering equipment!

That card costed me about 3 months worth of MMO subscription, and if I’m buying such a card every 3 months, I won’t be able to consider this better for my wallet than a full subscription based MMO.

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

I’ve posted this math before, but here it is with updated numbers.

An orichalcum pick costs 4s
100 gems costs 3g 35s.
The infinite pick costs 800 gems or 26g 80s.
You could buy 670 ori picks for the price of that one molten pick.
That means you need to collect 67,000 bits of ore before you’ll have spent as much on ori picks as the molten pick. This number gets even sillier if you use cheaper picks on non-ori nodes.

Better get to mining

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

I bought it because i will never have to change picks again.
I mine all of the ores every time i get a chance and not having to change pick when i go from a mithril to a ori is the reason i bought the pick.
I dont think any normal player will buy it to try to win Money.

[DIE] Death is Energy

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It’s a limited time item, so in a few days it won’t matter how much it costs.

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

I find it quite easy to make gold now so I bought 8 picks, cost me nothing in real money.

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I bought it because I didn’t like to run out of pickaxes, logging axes nor harvest sickles. I don’t really care what, or how much I lose, or earn by buying, or not buying it

Apparently ArenaNet will add a Logging Axe and Harvest Sickle to the gem store too, instant buy for me.

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

The molten pic has vanity visuals but its not a vanity item as it is a perma pic that functions as the 2nd to highest lvl pic and never has to be replaced. I think OPs issue is more about the exchange rate for cost of gems though?

(edited by Seraki.2753)

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The molten pic has vanity visuals but its not a vanity item as it is a perma pic that functions as the 2nd to highest lvl pic and never has to be replaced. I think OPs issue is more about the exchange rate for cost of gems though?

It’s a luxury item, and people who are not wealthy (whether it’s in terms of in-game currency or real money) will always tend to complain about the prices of luxury items. I’m not rich, either, but I try to spend what I have wisely and don’t worry about what I can’t afford. If having the item is important enough you just have to make whatever sacrifices are necessary in order to get it. If other things are more important than complaining about it won’t do anything.

I could complain that I can’t afford a new-from-the-factory car, but no amount of complaining to the guys at the car lot will make them give it to me for the price of a used car. So I’ll buy something I can afford and be satisfied with that.

Posted by: Xeph.4718

Xeph.4718

Pandion Knights – Seafarer’s Rest
www.pandionknights.co.uk
Ava Solaris – Warrior SFR

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I bought one because I don’t like having to swap out my mithral for the orichalcum for those very few nodes(extremely rare in WvW) that need the highest quality pick.

I didn’t really care too much about the cost. I do have a limit but it wasn’t quite there for the pick.

I do like the animation.

Can’t wait for an axe and sickle.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I got 4 for zero euros. Did something happen to gold for gems?

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

I remember when I bought myself 2k gems for 8g,those were the times….

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I bought one after I had some gems left over from an earlier purchase and bought more to get an armor skin. Unfortunately I /facepalmed myself and got the wrong skin LOL. So I just picked up the pickaxe for connivence because I didn’t like the skin that actually worked with my armor. Even if it isn’t such a big deal to carry extra regular it just saves me from one more thing I have to check before I head out into the world. I’d buy an axe and harvesting sickle as well if they had it.

That’s just me though. To each their own.

The Burninator