Money making with the update?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kingkiller.9645

Kingkiller.9645

Dyes…

If you already have the same dyes unlocked on multiple characters, when you log in on additional characters, you will receive one unidentified dye for each duplicate dye already unlocked on your account.

So basically, this means I can buy 6 of the same, cheap, 15s dye and unlock it on all my characters, and receive 5 32s unidentified dyes in return come the update?

With dyes becoming account unlocks, the demand for dye will decrease and unidentified dyes will no longer drop as loot but will still be available from the Mystic Forge and select in-game rewards.

From what I’m hearing, they’re going to increase for a few weeks before decreasing, so it would be best to actually price my unidentified dye at something more like 35s due to people wanting more of it to unlock the rares….

I’m not a hero. Heroes are not meant to survive, and I’ve lived far too long for that.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

You are very late for this.
When that announcement was made the cheap dyes was around 2s and suddenly unID dyes reached ~70s and the chesp dyes got to ~20s. (all that in matter of minutes)
After the update LOADS of unID dyes will flood the TP making the price get very low, in the future unID will probably get higher but not sure how long it will take to make your investment worth.
Also we are not 100% sure if the unID we’ll get from the duplicated dyes will be account bound (like the PvP ones) or not.
Since you missed the sweet spot to make that investment I suggest to not try it.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

I think you will get account bound unidentified dyes.

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

yes, go buy all those “Cheap” 15s dyes so this guy can regroup from his losses.

Kingkiller.9645

You are very late for this.
When that announcement was made the cheap dyes was around 2s and suddenly unID dyes reached ~70s. (all that in matter of minutes)
After the update LOADS of unID dyes will flood the TP making the price get very low, in the future unID will probably get higher but not sure how long it will take to make your investment worth.
Also we are not 100% sure if the unID we’ll get from the duplicated dyes will be account bound (like the PvP ones) or not.
Since you missed the sweet spot to make that investment I suggest to not try it.

Actually I didn’t miss the sweet spot. I’ve already bought roughly 25 cheap dyes at 10 to 15 silver each. 10 to 15. Not 70. Not to mention the fact that you can craft unidentified shade dyes, such as unidentified brown dye.

And nah, they said unidentified dyes… that means non-account bound. Even account bound, we’d still be able to use them to get uncommon or rares and sell them for profit.

I’m not a hero. Heroes are not meant to survive, and I’ve lived far too long for that.

Kingkiller.9645

Seeing as how unidentified dyes are worth double that amount, yeah they’re pretty cheap. Even if they’re made account bound, we can still use them to find masterwork or rare dyes (by chance) and make a profit, or at least score even.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

And nah, they said unidentified dyes… that means non-account bound. Even account bound, we’d still be able to use them to get uncommon or rares and sell them for profit.

Nope.
In PvP you can craft unidentified dyes, and those are account bound, after you open it the dye can be sold.

Also, the 70s was the unidentified dyes, the “cheap” ones reached about 20s but now got cheaper already.

Sure you can try to profit from it, but don’t expect any return for a while.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Seeing as how unidentified dyes are worth double that amount, yeah they’re pretty cheap. Even if they’re made account bound, we can still use them to find masterwork or rare dyes (by chance) and make a profit, or at least score even.

Considering that a couple of million unidentified dyes will hit the market with the update, you gotta be very quick to update, login and sell your unids before the buy orders over 15s are all filled.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

pswendel.8179

You are comparing the wrong prices. But whatever – buy them all and get rich. Sounds like a gold mine.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

But of course, it could end up being the other way around, with tons of unidentified dyes flooding the TP now that the idea has gone public on the forums, driving the price way down. As with anything to do with economics, it’s all a gamble in the end..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Kingkiller.9645

Nope.
In PvP you can craft unidentified dyes, and those are account bound, after you open it the dye can be sold.

Also, the 70s was the unidentified dyes, the “cheap” ones reached about 20s but now got cheaper already.

Sure you can try to profit from it, but don’t expect any return for a while.

You read my post wrong. I never said PvP. I’m talking about PvE. You can craft dyes that aren’t identified, but are limited to a rarity and hue. For example, I just crafted 10 unidentified gray dyes (rare) and made about 2 gold off them.

And yeah, I know not to expect profit off them. Hence the “come april update”

Kingkiller.9645

But of course, it could end up being the other way around, with tons of unidentified dyes flooding the TP now that the idea has gone public on the forums, driving the price way down. As with anything to do with economics, it’s all a gamble in the end..

On the contrary my friend. One of two things will happen. Either people will think like you and say “nah, won’t do it”. Or, people will think “hey, let’s do this!”. If they think the second one, they’ll be in the minority group… mostly because not very many players look at the forums, and fewer look at specific ones (this one). Also because most people seeing this will think like you.

Basically it’s a method to inform everyone about it, making sure they know about it, but also making sure that they know everyone else knows about it, thereby making nobody do it.

And if I’m wrong, I can always resort to discovering the dyes and selling them.

Kingkiller.9645

You are comparing the wrong prices. But whatever – buy them all and get rich. Sounds like a gold mine.

I’m actually not.
I’m buying dyes for 15s each. Come the April update, duplicate dyes will become unidentified dyes, which are worth 32s CURRENTLY. That price is going to shoot up for the first few days of the update. People are going to want to unlock as many dyes as they can… and the supply will be more than enough. Still, the price will skyrocket momentarily.

See the prices here? I buy 6 dyes worth 15s, I get 5 unidentified dyes worth 32s back.
End result – 70s profit, minus whatever the tp takes (15% of original cost).

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

I think what they trying to say is we don’t know what kind of unid dye Anet is going to give us, and it is possible they give us the account bound version from pvp just to prevent people profiting from the update.

Even if the dye is tradable, it will still cause a huge influx to the supply, thus driving down the price, until its rarity from drop start to kick in.

btw, they are right about you being too late, bought the “real cheap dyes” while they were 1.5~2.5s, 10~15s is not cheap at all. :P

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

And if I’m wrong, I can always resort to discovering the dyes and selling them.

Even if every account only gets 1 (in words: one) unidentified dye back, the amount of dyes entering the market will surpass all buy orders for all identified and unidentified dyes combined.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

pswendel.8179

I’m actually not.
I’m buying dyes for 15s each. Come the April update, duplicate dyes will become unidentified dyes, which are worth 32s CURRENTLY. That price is going to shoot up for the first few days of the update. People are going to want to unlock as many dyes as they can… and the supply will be more than enough. Still, the price will skyrocket momentarily.

See the prices here? I buy 6 dyes worth 15s, I get 5 unidentified dyes worth 32s back.
End result – 70s profit, minus whatever the tp takes (15% of original cost).

Let me spell out what Wanze is hinting at. The dye market will become saturated. Prices will plummet. But again, it’s cool. Don’t take anybody here for their word. Buy away.

Posted by: iamjaredk.9308

iamjaredk.9308

As soon as I read that this was going to happen I first thought about buying multiples and then getting the un-ids like everyone else.

But, as I read the section from the knowledge base @ https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/45889307-Dyes:
“What happens with dyes that I have unlocked on multiple characters?”

Mainly this part:
“the game will determine each instance where this took place and then will send you an in-game mail with an unidentified dye for each dye that was duplicated on your account”"

It sounds to me like this over-buying of duplicate dyes would be foreseen by the devs and the “where this took place” would be checked to make sure that the occurrence would have to have happened before the announcement. Otherwise, this seems like an exploit and we have all seen ANET ban for similar gold-making acts. I for one think that it is safer to stay far away from this.

Anyone else get the same idea?

Why so serious?