Mordrem Teragriff

Mordrem Teragriff

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

So what are your thoughts on fight with this creature in your living story?

For me it was very frustrating. I appreciate anet trying to add some challenge, but it seemed a ‘bit’ cheap to me. It would be nice to have a warning before each mission, like “this fight will be extremely long, unfair and repetitive”.
(I say unfair because it’s a new monster – it attacks with a series of vines that randomly pull you from any place on the ‘stage’. And everything seems to take almost half of your HP)
Do not fight it without stability buffs. Do not.
I feel really bad for casual players and people with defensive builds…

Maybe it’s just me though. Did you guys like it?

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

I did fine with my Staff Necro, going in and out of Death Shroud, and Lich Form. I had fun

(edited by Gryphon.2875)

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

This was a fun fight. More like this please. Have really enjoyed the latest patches. All inclusive comment.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

This is the only achievement I can’t seem to do. I give up. I’m out. Screw this achievement and its impossible luminescent skin hunt bs.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Casual player with a Celestial Ele… Yeah, I’m kind of torn on this. I don’t think it was a bad fight, but I don’t think it was good either.

The issue with inserting mechanics like that into a boss fight is that a player doesn’t have any idea whats going on. In an open world fight this is fine, you’re expected to do it multiple times and learn – but for a story fight you’re theoretically only going to be doing the fight 2 or 3 times (story + achievements). Players don’t want to spend a long time trying to work out the mechanics of a fight that is only really there to progress the story.

If you look back to most RPG games, the mechanics of boss fights are usually obvious. You should be able to figure out what you’re meant to be doing pretty quickly, either because it makes sense or because the game makes it obvious to you.

If you want to add complex mechanics to a boss fight then do it to the open world bosses. Having every single boss in the LS instances have completely different mechanics which in the end just make them frustrating fights for casual players who want to experience the story is… unsurprisingly… frustrating.

As I said, I don’t think it’s a bad fight. But I really wish they would stop chucking in mechanics for the sake of having mechanics. Not everyone is running a zerker build, and not everyone should have to run a zerker build, so please stop catering to them. Anyone with an slightly defensive build just gets stuck in fights that take a needlessly long time.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That’s why you can redo it. The first time or two you fight it to learn the fight. Then you can attempt the achievement. There’s no reason for you to have to know it beforehand.

If you absolutely hate figuring it out for yourself, wait till it’s up on Dulfy and read what you have to do.

It’s working as intended.

Also you don’t have to do achievements alone. My guild usually does this stuff together and it’s much easier.

Those who insist on soloing are making a choice to accept the downsides of soloing.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

This was one of the lamest fights I have ever seen. Not really difficult, just lame.

I hardly even hurt the terragriff yet I beat it on the first try. How you may ask? Because I just ran around the room while the NPCs took it out. Didn’t even realize it at first until I noticed a significant drop in its HP. I was just trying not to die while I figured out what to do because I couldn’t even get within the range of any of my dagger abilities without it one-shotting me with attacks with zero audible or visible cues. So without the NPCs it would have been completely impossible, and with the NPCs I could auto-walk AFK the entire thing if I find the right niche in the outer wall. So I don’t really know whether to say it is difficult or not, but either way it is a poorly made boss fight.

I know ANet has streamlined their production pipeline lately and don’t like doing things over, but this fight entirely justifies it. It was just that bad.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

It just goes to show… you can’t please everyone. I really enjoyed the fight. /shrug

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I personally really enjoyed this fight. Melee was challenging and it brought some more fun boss mechanics into the LS. I figured the best weapon to use for the achievements as a solo zerker guardian was a staff which I never use in 99% of the game, which ended up making the achievements really easy to get since it knocked all the mini teragriffs away constantly. Other classes have similar skills with AoE and cleave skills that really shine in this fight; as for the tendrils, I burst the closest one (or two) down with gs so I didn’t have to deal with their cc during the flying phase.

The story run was a nice way to learn the fight, and the challenge mote didn’t change much in the fight so it was easy to grab all achievements on the first try (and the achievements are so straightforward, there’s really no need for a guide). I admit, maybe a meditation guardian is really good for this fight and it could indeed be harder for different classes and builds. Regardless, I was challenged to think outside the box and mix things up a little with a different strategy than what I’m used to and I would love to see more fights like that.

These are my personal opinions on the matter.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: jackaljag.8637

jackaljag.8637

I didn’t enjoy that great because it felt like it was designed to spite me specifically as an engie player (aka crap access to stability, definitely don’t have it in my normal setup and couldn’t exactly switch builds during the fight). But eh, it got killed after some loud swearing and me camping the middle of the room as much as possible.

Joran Blackgear – Engineer – EU | Juras Blackpowder – Engineer – NA

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

I really enjoyed the fight. Going in solo I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. It was hard to pick out the tells but it was saying the same thing about me;-) This was on my hybrid D/D ele and I did go into the down state that once but was able to get back up. The boss wasn’t so lucky!

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

(edited by Bandit.8279)

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I was actually pretty bored.

Sure it had a lot of variety to it in it`s attacks, but I had too much downtime in between where it just did not hurt me.

I don`t know, it did not feel that challenging (maybe because I have a balanced build).
However to be fair, none of the bosses this time felt that way.

I did got down, two times with the terragriff, but only because I did not understand his last AoE shout attack, but even then I did not die, because the invcible NPC just healed me back up.

I am really torn here. In theory it is a fun fight, but in reality it is way to easy.

There is too much downtime in his attacks and between the times where I am able to attack him, leaving me wander around aimlessly, ignoring everything else (aside from being pulled by these annoying tentacles)

I would advice for the next time:
- a smaller compact room
- More chances to attack, however with the downside of being attacked yourself (take your chances)
- a little less time to avoide enemy attacks (as they were much too easy to dodge)
- More small scale attacks, instead of room swiping AoEs. I wish to fight the enemy, not the terrain.

The tells were great, the NPCs helped also good with their shouts, but overall it was a medicore fight. The trailer made it out much more epic.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I went in solo completely unprepared and struggled a bit, but it was a decent fight overall. I got it on my first try so not bad.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I found it annoying because i spent more time chasing it than hitting it.

And the immune to CC was a nice touch. /sarcasm

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

For me it was very frustrating. I appreciate anet trying to add some challenge, but it seemed a ‘bit’ cheap to me. It would be nice to have a warning before each mission, like “this fight will be extremely long, unfair and repetitive”.
(I say unfair because it’s a new monster – it attacks with a series of vines that randomly pull you from any place on the ‘stage’. And everything seems to take almost half of your HP)

I got downed once on my mesmer, no stability. It was an ok fight and not overly frustrating or difficult.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

personaly i just used longbow ranger, took less than 5 minutes to kill and didnt get downed once :/ ive not found any of the boss fights or achivements difficult or time consuming

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Please, don’t nerf this fun boss XD; The boss is even easier with people, if you need help.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I did fine with my Staff Necro, going in and out of Death Shroud, and Lich Form. I had fun

I did it on a staff ele. IIRC I think I might have got defeated once (most likely due to the vines). No stability for me or stun breakers, just have to stay out of the aoes.

I’m not sure I want the boss nerfed either, unless its something with the number of vines or their attack/pull speed.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Asami.3572

Asami.3572

I enjoyed this fight. It didn’t take long to figure out the mechanics to the fight either. Didn’t need stability, and living without stun breakers wasn’t too difficult. If you’re having difficulty with the vines part, just don’t stand in the middle for that. Pick a vine on the outside that would be safe to let yourself be pulled to.

Silver Koneko/Silver Kom Trikru/Lime Dorito
BG

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Kitty.5804

Kitty.5804

If you got Problems with that Boss – Grab a Friend.

We have done it together (1x Zerk Warrior , 1x Condi Warrior because we always do the Living together) and it was really eaaaasy… I got downed once because i forgot to dodge

With the Chasing thing – Just stand in a Corner and try not the get charged, dodge out of the vines and run with the dogs (Or kill them meele if you dont need the Achievment – If you need it run or kill it ranged). Not that difficult. Maybe its just easy with Warrior but i dont think so – I had to meele it because i forgot to equip a ranged weapon.

He does some other funny things in the Challenge Mode and larger AoE’s but nothing special (The Open-World Dogs deal more damage just because they are always in a 2-6 Doggy-Pact.)

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I run double-melee for most adventuring/world-running. While I have ranged weapons for the right occasions, I need some indication in advance to know I’ll need them. I will gladly rifle the kitten out of troublesome bosses if need be, but I can’t change equipment in combat if things go south.

Teragrif might have been less irritating if I hadn’t been stuck with two melee swaps. I had my ele friend with me, so I borrowed his spare ice bow, and that made things much more manageable.

As for the vines phase, you can get close to the center to stay out of their range, just be mindful of the teragrif’s damage fields.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Well, my full glass thief did spend a good chunk of time on the floor, but I had fun with it solo. Shortbow thief is pretty fun, poison fields are your friends. I think it would be more of a pain on a class without such a solid ranged weapon.

The last boss in the LS was the one that I had an issue with. It needs a serious bump up in difficulty. When a full zerk thief can facetank it (signet of malice + pistol whip, watch out for marks on the ground), it’s a bit too easy IMO ;-)

But then, eh. In two weeks, hardly anyone will ever fight it again, so it’s probably not worth re-tuning it.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

the achievement part((challenge mode)) is really difficult to solo but its easier to do with a friend. basically anet made achievement part this way to force people to play together. well its an mmo after all so no complain.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

What was the difference between normal mode and “challenge” mode. They both seemed pretty much the same to me.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

From a player using PVT gear, it wasn’t so bad so far. Have more alts to run it through on yet. Not sure if you classify that as defensive gear or not.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

What was the difference between normal mode and “challenge” mode. They both seemed pretty much the same to me.

They are the same, you just have to go through normal mode to unlock challenge mode, and can only do the achievements in challenge mode.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Apart from the room wide aoe scream in challenge mode it was horrible. Just run around and range it. Staff ele btw.

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Go with full zerker GS/Scepter+Pistol or Focus Mesmer. Ranged atks is better and mesmer can create distraction. The first time I went with my Guardian and I cried.

@edit
And if you die, restart the instance becouse will bug and spaw infinite malformed ones.

Sorry for my english.

(edited by Mikau.6920)

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Wranglerist.5489

Wranglerist.5489

I went with my Zerk D/D Elementalist alone, without any from of Stability and did it on the first try. ( Of course I had the Master of Lightning reviving me ). It’s not that hard, sure when he charges you have to make sure it avoid it as much as possible, but all the other attacks are pretty easy to avoid as they are very well indicated. Even with the AoE scream, just get out of the circle and use range.

#ELEtism

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I actually liked this fight. I was on my warrior, with valkyrie armor and all other zerker, rifle and greatsword. Used signets (stability, etc) and stomp (for the tendrils). Key is to keep moving – typically in a circular pattern, and time your dodges wisely. I thought I did well, only died one time, when I got downed and then it just kept running over me so I couldn’t recover. I think most people can do this without too much trouble.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Mordrem Teragriff

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I felt like it was almost too long. I enjoyed fights like the one at the end of SE story, but this one didn’t feel challenging. The AoEs weren’t all that fun and the flying portion felt like it just had temporary invulnerability. It was better than the more mindless stuff, but it was still a pretty mindless fight.