Achievement cap [Merged]

Achievement cap [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guillotine Princess.9341

Guillotine Princess.9341

Why is there an cap for achievement points concerning daily/monthly totals?

Per wiki : There is a cap of 15,000 Arenanet Points.png for daily and now-defunct monthly achievements combined. Once the cap is reached, additional points from the “Daily Completionist” meta achievement will no longer increase the account’s achievement points, but individual reward bonus chests will still be given out.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

To try and balance it out for newer players who would feel they could not compete with vets who have a massive headstart, especially when dailies were worth a lot more aps in the old days.

edit: plus the reason given in the post below

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

To appease those who seek/sought to stay ahead on the Leaderboard, and felt that having to spend so much time achieving daily APs was counter-productive was one reason at the time.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

To try and balance it out for newer players who would feel they could not compete with vets who have a massive headstart, especially when dailies were worth a lot more aps in the old days.

edit: plus the reason given in the post below

Newer players would have no chance to compete regardless unless they bring back LS1 and all associated achievements. Even if they do it would probably be a separate set that has the same name but can be earned again.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Because of the people who complained on the forum about how they felt like they had to do every single daily achievement and it was taking them hours every day. They begged for a cap so they could stop.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

Interesting question for those who’ve maxed their Daily AP limit: Do you still get the gold reward?

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Either create more achievements or remove the daily achievement cap. I have hit the daily achievements cap and after looking through the achievement lists have discovered that there is very little to do except 1 point here or there. Oh, I have a few large ones available that I may get done given time, but not enough to advance much further beyond my current achievement level.

ANeT created the daily cap on points to supposedly give newer players a chance to catch up. Well, it will work, and we will all be stuck at the same point and the players in the 30,000pt range will never be threatened. I’ve been playing since the beta and was finally approaching 27k, but now I won’t reach it for many more months. At least with being able to get 10 points a day I had a chance to advance on a regular basis.

Is this truly fair? No. Because everyone will be stuck at the same point. Or maybe that was ANeT’s view of fairness. Let the 30k+ achievement players remain unreachable.

And doing PVP is not an option. It’s a toxic environment.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s not a competition.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. They add more achievements all the time.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Achievement cap [Merged]

Heibi.4251

It’s not a competition.

If it isn’t, then why create a daily achievement limit? And why is there a achievement point leader board, huh? Looks like a competition to me. It makes no sense. And they state it as to let newer players have a chance to catch up.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Is this truly fair? No. Because everyone will be stuck at the same point. Or maybe that was ANeT’s view of fairness. Let the 30k+ achievement players remain unreachable.

The 30k+ achievement players also have the same cap that the 29k and below players do, though. They’re “unreachable” because they had access to all of the old achievements; and made sure they did every single achievement they could to get every point they could, even in game modes they might not care for. Even if Anet removed the daily AP cap, you’d still likely never catch up to them because they did all the other achievements everyone else couldn’t/didn’t/won’t do.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

What do you mean by more achievements needed? Basically every patch gives more achievements.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I agree, they need to remove the CAP, if people don’t want to do the dailies or get AP then don’t, but why restrict those that do, because of some that don’t.

Im 130 days out from the cap, when I hit it, ill stop playing, me and my friends use the AP to play, and push each other on, but what’s the point in doing that if we are restricted because we play daily, and yes we do everything in game.

ANET needs to reply to this topic, its coming up more and more recently and they continue to ignore it.

Its not about catching other people, its about how you yourself play the game, I wont catch someone who is ahead of me that plays PvP as I don’t play PvP, but that’s my choice.

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Heibi.4251

The 30k+ achievement players also have the same cap that the 29k and below players do, though. They’re “unreachable” because they had access to all of the old achievements; and made sure they did every single achievement they could to get every point they could, even in game modes they might not care for. Even if Anet removed the daily AP cap, you’d still likely never catch up to them because they did all the other achievements everyone else didn’t/won’t do.

But the achievement chests remain unreachable with only 1’s, 2’s, 3’s and 5’s only available.

I never fully expected to catch the 30k+ players, but that was ANeT’s stated intent.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

They put it in after all the complaints from people who felt like they have to do every achievement there is. Back then it wasn’t 10 points for 3 dailies. It was one point for each daily you did. People reported spending hours getting every single daily, plus any new achievements, and they asked for a cap so they could stop doing the dailies.

But why should those players who did that, get to decide how I want to play the game? I didn’t ask for a cap on dailies, I didn’t want that restriction put in, so why did they only cater for those who didn’t have the ability to limit themselves????

Caps are not the way to go in a game like this, when people hit caps they get bored.

Anet needs to revise it, espically if what you say it true, then them people wont have to grind every last daily, as they only need to do 3 now, so the CAP now is pointless.

Ill give this topic 2 days for Anet to reply, then it shall be moved to reddit, they seem to take more notice that way.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

Not defending the daily AP cap or anything but OP must have more than “1 point here and there” to do since the leaderboards he mentioned have ppl with 32k+ AP.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Just a flesh wound.3589

They put it in after all the complaints from people who felt like they have to do every achievement there is. Back then it wasn’t 10 points for 3 dailies. It was one point for each daily you did. People reported spending hours getting every single daily, plus any new achievements, and they asked for a cap so they could stop doing the dailies.

But why should those players who did that, get to decide how I want to play the game? I didn’t ask for a cap on dailies, I didn’t want that restriction put in, so why did they only cater for those who didn’t have the ability to limit themselves????

Caps are not the way to go in a game like this, when people hit caps they get bored.

Anet needs to revise it, espically if what you say it true, then them people wont have to grind every last daily, as they only need to do 3 now, so the CAP now is pointless.

Yah. I’m hitting the cap in a few months myself. And I won’t be happy when it happens.

As I recall there were a number of threads asking for a cap. People were pleading for ANet to cap the points because they couldn’t stop themselves. However with the new 10 point max put in ANet should revisit this subject. The reason why they were grinding for hours has been removed and I know I never asked to have a cap put on my points.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

The 30k people also have the same cap on daily AP as those new to the game. When the cap was put in, those people that had more then the cap were knocked down. Same with the cap on salvaging. If you were above the cap, you were knocked down to cap.

So based on that, and math, if person A and B both have a cap of 15k for dailies, isn’t that equal?

(Person A: 15k
Person B: 15k)

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I think the cap is there so truly completionist people can go outside once in a while.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I think the cap is there so truly completionist people can go outside once in a while.

Why would we want to do that? There’s people out there!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why would we want to do that? There’s people out there!

He means try the Outside game. I don’t recommend it myself. Too many gold sinks.

But anyway. I think the Devs need to reconsider this. There will be more and more long term players hitting the cap and since they revamped the dailies it deserves another look.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Achievement cap [Merged]

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s not a competition.

If it isn’t, then why create a daily achievement limit?

Because it’s not a competition!

And why is there a achievement point leader board, huh? Looks like a competition to me. It makes no sense. And they state it as to let newer players have a chance to catch up.

The leaderboard has everyone on the same ‘league’ – whether the person’s been playing for 1 day, or 1,374 days. If it is a competition, it isn’t a fair one.

Also this:

The 30k+ achievement players also have the same cap that the 29k and below players do, though. They’re “unreachable” because they had access to all of the old achievements; and made sure they did every single achievement they could to get every point they could, even in game modes they might not care for. Even if Anet removed the daily AP cap, you’d still likely never catch up to them because they did all the other achievements everyone else couldn’t/didn’t/won’t do.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Achievement cap [Merged]

Just a flesh wound.3589

Personally I don’t care about catching up. I know I never will unless the people at the top all quit playing. However I do like getting those 10 points each day to move towards the next chest and the skins that are in them. It means that each chest, the next skin will be that much further away and imo they already take long enough to get. Especially the 2 sets of armors.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Heibi.4251

It’s not a competition.

And why is there a achievement point leader board, huh? Looks like a competition to me. It makes no sense. And they state it as to let newer players have a chance to catch up.

The leaderboard has everyone on the same ‘league’ – whether the person’s been playing for 1 day, or 1,374 days. If it is a competition, it isn’t a fair one.

Then, by your own words, it is a competition. Otherwise, why keep score, have a leader board, and give a ranking? The artificial cap just hurts people, it doesn’t help.

Achievement cap [Merged]

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s not a competition.

Then, by your own words, it is a competition. Otherwise, why keep score, have a leader board, and give a ranking? The artificial cap just hurts people, it doesn’t help.

Eh, by my own words? How is me saying it’s not a competition, saying it is? It isn’t a competition, and I stand by those words!!

Achievement points were available before the leaderboard came out. Achievement points have been out since launch of the game. The leaderboard wasn’t out until at least a year after launch.

So, by your own words what you’re asking really is, why have achievement points? I assume to reward time spent doing certain tasks in game (i.e. the achievement chests) rather than to race each other.

The leaderboard was added later on, I assume to appease the people who are asking out of interest where they stand as opposed to other players and their achievements. I don’t think anywhere it’s ever been stated that it’s designed as a race.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Wondered when this would come full circle. Before the caps all we heard week after week is how people hated not having a cap. How Anet FORCED them to do dailies everyday and how unfair it was because they were unable to play the game because Anet forced them to do dailies. Anet caved and put a cap. Now here we go again just the opposite direction.

Achievement cap [Merged]

penelopehannibal.8947

How Anet FORCED them to do dailies everyday and how unfair it was because they were unable to play the game because Anet forced them to do dailies.

Can’t tell if sarcasm or not.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Achievement cap [Merged]

Heibi.4251

penelopehannibal, if you keep track of points, create a leader board that does so and give people a rank for the most of something, it becomes a competition plain and simple. Not to mention giving rewards for advancing. ANeT made it a competition by acknowledging how much someone has done and assigning RANK.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I was against adding the cap. It’s a bone to long-time achievement hunters and no value to anyone else.

Now, I’m against removing the cap for the same reason: it’s a change that has limited value to a tiny fraction of players.

I think ANet should remain focused on things that provide greater value to a greater part of the community.

Disclaimer: I would be one of the tiny fraction benefiting from the removal of the cap.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I like the cap the way it is. If it were me dailies would give 0 ap.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Achievement cap [Merged]

danielrjones.8759

How Anet FORCED them to do dailies everyday and how unfair it was because they were unable to play the game because Anet forced them to do dailies.

Truth and sarcasm, A day didn’t go by for months on end where the ap farmers came on the forums QQing how unfair it was for Anet to force them to do the dailies and because of that Anet removed any fun they had in the game and on and on and on.

It was actually bizarre to read how some had the belief Anet was some puppet master who controlled their every movement in the game.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’m very far away from the cap at about 8,000 and I’d be fine if it were removed. I’m in a competition with no-one but myself. Let everyone achieve as much, or as little, as they want.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Truth and sarcasm, A day didn’t go by for months on end where the ap farmers came on the forums QQing how unfair it was for Anet to force them to do the dailies and because of that Anet removed any fun they had in the game and on and on and on.

It was actually bizarre to read how some had the belief Anet was some puppet master who controlled their every movement in the game.

This is so true. There were many, many threads and posts about it, and many arguments, but, alas, ArenaNet listened to the ‘majority’ of the forum playerbase.

Never, though, to my knowledge, did ArenaNet ever state the change in Dailies was to afford ‘new’ players to ‘catch up’. Likely, because ‘new’ players can never catch up the the Leaderboard’s top Achievement Points. With, or without a cap…as long as those ‘vet’ players keep playing.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I’m very far away from the cap at about 8,000 and I’d be fine if it were removed. I’m in a competition with no-one but myself. Let everyone achieve as much, or as little, as they want.

Too bad dailies are everything but achievements. Definitely not worth 10 AP per day for sure. 5min of effort shouldnt give 10 AP. Before cap it took 4 hours a day to get 16 AP.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Achievement cap [Merged]

penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal, if you keep track of points, create a leader board that does so and give people a rank for the most of something, it becomes a competition plain and simple. Not to mention giving rewards for advancing. ANeT made it a competition by acknowledging how much someone has done and assigning RANK.

The rewards you get are nothing to do with competition either, since everyone gets the same reward regardless of what ‘position’ you are in. The person who now has 32,000 AP got the same things in the chest at 10,000 AP as the person who is only on 10,000 (pfft.. “only”).

You can make it a competition if you want, and play it as one, but it doesn’t make it one. If the leaderboard was there are the start, and there was a fair way for new players to compete in it, (i.e. leagues for different player start dates, or an AP to /age ratio listed) then yeah fair enough, I’d say it’s a competition too.

But if I see someone with 32,000 AP points, I take it as a pinch of salt. They’ve not won anything because the ‘race’ will never be over.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Achievement cap [Merged]

danielrjones.8759

This is so true. There were many, many threads and posts about it, and many arguments, but, alas, ArenaNet listened to the ‘majority’ of the forum playerbase.

Never, though, to my knowledge, did ArenaNet ever state the change in Dailies was to afford ‘new’ players to ‘catch up’. Likely, because ‘new’ players can never catch up the the Leaderboard’s top Achievement Points. With, or without a cap…as long as those ‘vet’ players keep playing.

I agree I don’t recall that every being said. I thought it was the incessant complaining 24/7 from the ap farmers. Have to give them credit though. They were persistent and did get Anet to change it.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Its a bummer that they’ve stopped. It’ll be a long time for me to bridge the 2K gap to the 30K level to get those 400 gems. I’d like to keep earning just to get those.

SBI

Achievement cap [Merged]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, new APs have been coming out with ‘Current Events’; it looks like those are being released bi-weekly.

I suspect they are leading up to Living Story Season 3, which should have a plethora of new Achievements (and Points, of course). =)

Achievement cap [Merged]

penelopehannibal.8947

Well, new APs have been coming out with ‘Current Events’; it looks like those are being released bi-weekly.

I suspect they are leading up to Living Story Season 3, which should have a plethora of new Achievements (and Points, of course). =)

I hope it is towards LS3 – though I think it could be towards a Raid Wing, considering where that portal’s location near the bandit bridge (and a new zone from there would run parallel to the other two wings) – though I know that portal has been there since I think before LS2, so I could be wrong on that.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Achievement cap [Merged]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm…does the agitated Leylines (previous Current Event) have something to do with Raids? No idea; I have never ‘raided’ (if that is the correct term).

I suspect tomorrow will bring a new ‘Current Event’ and may (probably?) have nothing to do with Bandits.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I hope it is towards LS3 – though I think it could be towards a Raid Wing, considering where that portal’s location near the bandit bridge (and a new zone from there would run parallel to the other two wings) – though I know that portal has been there since I think before LS2, so I could be wrong on that.

Yeah, that portal was there by 2012. So, who knows what they intend to do with it? I hope we do get to do something with it at some point, though.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Achievement Points are meant to show how much of the game you have played and completed.
Dailies have nothing to do with this. There might be some achievement gated behind daily progression, but that’s all they have in common.

IMHO ANet made a terrible mistake by merging two completely unrelated ideas. Dailies should have never been an AP source. The current cap is the least they could have done to fix the mess.

Achievement cap [Merged]

penelopehannibal.8947

Hmm…does the agitated Leylines (previous Current Event) have something to do with Raids? No idea; I have never ‘raided’ (if that is the correct term).

I suspect tomorrow will bring a new ‘Current Event’ and may (probably?) have nothing to do with Bandits.

You’re right, I was thinking more on the Bandit/White Mantle thing and forgot about the ley line thing. So, maybe current events are towards more than one thing. I don’t raid myself, so I hope it’s LS3 (or both, as I don’t want other players to be disappointed even if they play a game mode that doesn’t appeal to me!).

But anyway, I’m digressing the topic. More AP are coming with the Current Events thing!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

ANeT created the daily cap on points to supposedly give newer players a chance to catch up.

If this were true…. why then are the “monthlies” still added to AP score?

Achievement cap [Merged]

Heibi.4251

ANeT created the daily cap on points to supposedly give newer players a chance to catch up.

If this were true…. why then are the “monthlies” still added to AP score?

The old monthlies are tallied in with the daily cap, thus artificially capping you before 15k total of daily achievements. So they kittened over those who have played since the beginning.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

It may not be a competition, but I still want
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Radiant_Backguard_Skin

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

Removing the cap now seems unfair to people who have been at the cap for a while now.

The amount of points you could get per day has fluctuated a fair bit (due to changes and, if I recall correctly, bugs), at the current rate you’d need 1500 days to reach the cap, the game hasn’t even been out that long.

More achievements, on the other hand, would be good.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Season 1 was the glory days. New stuff every other week with hundreds of new achievement points. I recall getting a achievement chest nearly every month, and with free wardrobe skins.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Season 1 was the glory days. New stuff every other week with hundreds of new achievement points. I recall getting a achievement chest nearly every month, and with free wardrobe skins.

Season one was a beast hope they do somthink like that again one day

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Artorius.6178

Artorius.6178

I’m at 1744 daily AP now, with having played since July 23 2015, I reckon it’ll take me at least 3 or 4 more years to reach that cap.

To me removal of cap means nothing right now, unless removing it affects me negatively.

Luciana Aventius – Ranger – Gandara