More Armor Visibility Toggling Options?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

So I was super ecstatic to see that we finally, and randomly, got the toggle gloves option a long time ago! We’ve had a lot of numerous threads in the past expressing interest in the ability to toggle the visibility of armor off and on. I am hoping that we can make strides to finally implement a hide boots option.

I know that I would use this for one or two of my characters. I don’t think it can be argued by anyone that this sort of hiding feature does not belong in a game like this, as plenty of characters, races, and professions have been shown to be barefoot. I know it’s not a high priority, but I also see no reason why this cannot become a feature in the foreseeable future. It would add another acceptable layer of character customization that I think a lot of people would appreciate and use.

While I know that a thread like this will never become massively popular or gain a huge amount of momentum, I would hope that it will be seen and implemented one day. The amount of players that use the forums is probably minimal, and the amount of players that would bump this thread or show their support is also probably minimal. I’ve seen many threads like this come and go since launch, but thankfully, the hide gloves option was implemented without much of a hassle.

I also didn’t specifically name the topic of this thread to revolve around boots, because I know there are other players out there with legitimate reasons to want to add a hide shirt option (or pants). For example, I know a friend that would love to portray a monk-type character that only wears pants. I’m also sure many Norn would appreciate a hide shirt option so they’re able to display those amazing tattoos!

On the other hand, I unfortunately see the potential for hiding shirts and pants to be abused. They are two major pieces of an outfit, whereas shoes, gloves, shoulder pads, and helmets are not. For this reason, I specifically ask for a hide boots option, as I cannot think of any argument against it other than people just not wanting it. On the other hand, I can (unfortunately) see a hide option for shirts and pants being immersion breaking.

So in summary, plenty of Norn, Asura, Sylvari (all the races) and characters (like Queen Jennah and the elementalist trainer) are barefoot. In the early class videos for the game, I also remember the elementalist being barefoot in a combat video. It seems to be a perfectly acceptable fashion in Tyria, and it was nice to see an elementalist portrayed as a “down to earth” kind of character. I’m also sure some rangers would appreciate this option. There isn’t a limit to the amount of players that could potentially use this to advance their character the way they want to, without a stat loss.

Feel free to express your opinions and concerns for additional visibility options!

To ArenaNet: Please add the hide option for boots!

Thank you for reading!

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I support the option to hide any piece of armor.

I myself am not one for the boots. But the shirt… that is the one I want. The main reason? I want my male characters to hulk out from time to time. Maybe it is because I grew up with He-man, but I like the combination of Rambo + Braveheart.

Granted, it does look silly on female toons, though.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

DarkOcean.8746

I support the option to hide any piece of armor.

I myself am not one for the boots. But the shirt… that is the one I want. The main reason? I want my male characters to hulk out from time to time. Maybe it is because I grew up with He-man, but I like the combination of Rambo + Braveheart.

Granted, it does look silly on female toons, though.

I’d hope they would find a reasonable way to add a toggle option for chest armor too. While it would probably require more effort than a hide boots option, I think it’s something that warrants looking at. For males it would be easy, and it would look natural since they have bare chests. Most female races have undergarments visible that are natural-colored, with exception to the human females, which have a bright, obnoxious yellow bra. Maybe if they gave additional options, like torso-wraps (bandages) it would make a ‘bare’ chest for females more possible (and thus avoiding the whole sexism fiasco that The Secret World mildly suffered from by implementing bare chests for males only).

I still think a hide boot option would be easy as cake to implement though… Would love to see it happen so the community can shift their focus to torso and legs options! Pants toggling would be hard to win over, unless we had robes. Which we don’t, somehow. I’d love me some robes, but that’s neither here or now, so…

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m not sure a hide anything option would be hard to implement. We already know that it looks like to not wear a piece of armor. You can just take it off and see what it looks like. The toggles just change whether or not the armor is visible.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: MMAgCh.1037

MMAgCh.1037

I too would love to see more equipment visibility toggles implemented, for boots at the very least. A character might forgo shoes for RP reasons, there’s some precedent in the NPC department (as has been pointed out, even the Queen herself goes barefoot!), and at the end of the day it’d just be another neat customisation option. What’s not to like?

I wouldn’t object at all if any kind of armour could be toggled “on” or “off” in this way for that matter, although I can see why some people might. Being able to have invisible footwear really is a quite inoffensive option though, I’d think.

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

Yeah chest would be great and make up for the poorly ugly designed medium armor.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Yeah chest would be great and make up for the poorly ugly designed medium armor.

I hate to agree with this but I do… and will until they bring out a medium chest that looks more along the lines of the vigil light armor chest. The only non-cultural set of medium that even nods in the direction of ‘sexy-dangerous’ is the exotic “duelist” chest and it’s named companions. Even though the Norn bra has it’s own issues with the look I’m going for, at least it doesn’t have the sleeves that break all hope of the best non-cultural, and non-trench coat look I got right now lol

Posted by: barefootstep.7026

barefootstep.7026

I’d like to provide full support for this notion. Granted, for solo PvE I just didn’t care anymore at some point and simply don’t have my character wear boots.
But in any form of group play that would be unfair to the other players.

DarkOcean.8746

I’d like to revisit this notion, especially with the reveal of the overhaul to the wardrobe system. I hope they will take this opportunity to add visibility toggles to all armor pieces.