More Modern Pistol Skins!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

How about some adding some sharks with freakin laser beams on their heads?

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

This is just a silly quibble. Handguns (the correct terminology for what we’re talking about) can require the use of two hands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handgun (first sentence). If you have any doubts, trying firing http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_775664_-1_775655_757896_image with one hand.

We’re not talking about handguns, we’re talking about pistols. Did you not read any of the posts you responded to? Here, this is from your own link:

“Some handgun experts make a technical distinction that views pistols as a subset of handguns. Sometimes in American usage, the term “pistol” refers to a handgun having one chamber integral with the barrel, making pistols distinct from the other main type of handgun, the revolver, which has a revolving cylinder containing multiple chambers."

And

“The first handheld firearms that might better be called “pistols” were made as early as the 15th century, but their creator is unknown."

Maybe in the future not only read what you’re responding to, but also the links you post as, in this case, they might refute your argument.
Despite this, the fact remains there were no pistols in the 13th century. You can argue semantics all you want, but you’re not correct. No one with any shred of historical knowledge or firearms knowledge would make such an inaccurate statement and trying to defend the existence of 13th century pistols is like trying to argue that the Mughal Empire had tanks because they armored elephants and mounted guns on their backs. It’s simply not true.

Just to be clear and have our facts straight, as wikipedia says also:

“The word “pistol” is often synonymous with the word “handgun”. "

In general usage they can be used to refer to the same thing.

And no I am not arguing about the timeline of their creation at all. But if you are going to tell people to get their facts straight, you should do the same.

And then the rest of that paragraph (and the page) go on to state why the words are actually not synonymous and why experts make a distinction. So yeah, I have my facts straight. You may want to do the same.

Here’s something for you to read:

“A pistol is a handgun – but not all handguns are pistols.”

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/g/glossary-definition-of-pistol.htm

Furthermore it seems you’re unaware that the OP specifically stated pistol and not handgun. Again, facts are useful.

From that paragraph:
Some handgun experts make a technical distinction that views pistols as a subset of handguns. Sometimes in usage, the term “pistol” refers to a handgun having one chamber integral with the barrel, making pistols distinct from the other main type of handgun, the revolver, which has a revolving cylinder containing multiple chambers. But UK/Commonwealth usage often does not make this distinction.

So, “some”, “sometimes” but often does not. My only point here is that in general usage/conversation many people use the words interchangeably. I, personally, do not. I actually do make a distinction between the words. So, if someone used the words as synonyms, referring to the first pistol being from the time period where the first handgun was made, would be correct.

Oh and pointing out that the OP asked specifically for Pistols and not Handguns doesn’t matter. The weapon is in the game under the name Pistol, regardless of what the skin looks like or what type of real-life weapon it does/doesn’t resemble.

But this is getting rather off-topic…..

On topic, I agree with OP. I agree pistols, in general, need some more skins. “Modern” looking or otherwise.

I also think when they add new legendary weapons, they should add a new pistol to balance out Quip. Legendary weapons like Quip, the Moot and the Dreamer will only appeal to a certain niche due to their physical appearance and effects.

If you’re so confused that you’re willing to defend the labeling of a 13th century Chinese hand cannon as a pistol, despite what every historian or firearms enthusiast will tell you, I don’t think we have anything more to discuss.

I didn’t actually defend that. But since it is obvious you enjoy feeling like you are correct all the time as evidenced here and on other threads, think what you will. I agree, we have nothing more to discuss. It is useless and you aren’t worth the effort. I bid you good day.

Back to the topic…..
I don’t think modern pistol skins would ruin anything. They don’t have to be exact models of real pistols, just something in a relatively similar vein. More options is a good thing.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So not all technology is in the 20th, or 19th, or whatever-eth century of development. You have some things in some positions of development, and other things in other positions of development.

And guns are not yet at the modern timeframe. Few things are, in fact.

I didn’t say that all technology in the game was 20th-21st century level of development. I said that they game included 20th-21st century technology.

For example:

Self propelled tracked armored vehicles.
Helicopters.
Fully automatic rifles.
Fully automatic machine-pistols.
Combat drones.
LASER weapons.
and more…

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

I didn’t actually defend that. But since it is obvious you enjoy feeling like you are correct all the time as evidenced here and on other threads, think what you will. I agree, we have nothing more to discuss. It is useless and you aren’t worth the effort. I bid you good day.

Yeah, you actually did. Either that or you were completely oblivious to the conversation you jumped into. But hey when in doubt just ad hominem, right? Classy.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I support the idea of modern rifle and pistol skins. Gw2 is not a medieval themed game, dont see why we cant have modern skins here.

It is , however, not an modern game either.

All races have different developement ranges and none has arrived in modern times.
Except maybe the asura, however they use high tech advanced weapons.
We were never introduced to their “modern age”, which would be a downgrade for them now.

So by now we have humans in the 14-15 hundred, charr who use industrial metal work and world war 1/2 era machinery (tanks, choppers, etc. ), an age where we never reached the “plasic age” which is prominent in modern weaponry.

The norn and Sylvary are cultural pretty natural and didn`t deveolpe their own weapons (though the fact that they have cultural themed weapons implies that they at least hichhiked on their developement)

So yeah, modern weapons do not make much sense and if any would be skipped right now, thanks to the Asura.

We might however see other races deveolpe them in the future in a more natural way, however then we still have to include the fact that we live in a magical world, so normal developement might not apply here.

Other than that: _It`s a fantasy world, which has not arrived in our modern times. _

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

This one please

Attachments:

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

How about some adding some sharks with freakin laser beams on their heads?

I think we allready got them swimming under the CoE entrance …

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I don’t know, personally I like the revolvers and flintlock pistols…I just wish they’d make them look more appealing. I’m sure there are technical limitations, but there’s no flintlock in the game that actually looks like…well, a real-life flintlock. They’re all tapered to epic proportions.

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

How modern are we talking about? Glock 17 and such? I do agree, however, that the design tends to either be weird Asura stuff or old guns. Rifles have more verity in that regard. Currently the only skin I like is the one form the order of whispers

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.