More dailies needed per day

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

Not in real PvP (you might on a farm server but that doesn’t really qualify as PvP), you can’t effortlessly win, well, you might, but you can’t expect to, the odds of losing 5 completely fair matches (50% win chance) in a row is still above 3%, which is far from negligible.

The class win category might take two matches, but not usually.

Then you’ve been lucky as you should expect to need 2 games for a single win.

less time than most individual PvE dailies.

Aren’t vista and gathering faster? That’s often half of the PvE dailies already (I wouldn’t know how long the others take as I never bother with them).

I said “most” of them. Most of them are “run four events,” dungeons, and JPs, all of which are likely to take more than 15 minutes, many of them more than a half hour, and that’s each, since they almost never line up such that you can do more than one of them at a time like you can with the PvP dailies.

Half of them are those, the other half are the easy ones I mentioned and daily fractal, which is fairly rare and should be possible within 15 minutes as long as you pick a quick fractal (Swampland or Molten Boss should do fine).
Half is not most.

I could imagine someone who normally only PvPs and plays 5 or fewer classes well and therefore can’t complete the daily in only PvP as the 4 classes for the achievements happen to be the ones he doesn’t play well.

You’re very focused on the “win with X class” achievements. But think of it like this, you play one match of PvP. You may or may not get all three of your dailies in that one match, but you’re almost guaranteed to get two of them. In that case, it’s not at all difficult to pick up at least one of the PvE options, the vista or harvest ones. The opposite is considerably more effort, picking up two PvE options and then trying to grab a single non-PvE option. Basically, if you’re going to PvP, you might as well just PvP.

Of course I mainly mention the class ones (which are half of them), those are the harder ones, the other two are almost as easy as the easy PvE ones (although I have failed to get 3 kills in a single match recently and if you’re unlucky you can fail to get a reward for a single loss).

Posted by: Bridlegoose.9376

Bridlegoose.9376

I’d like it if they had a tab for central Tyria dailies and another tab for HoT dailies, each with four or five choices. Or maybe going forward, have a tab for core and a tab for expansions that would generate a list of dailies from whichever expansion you own. That way they wouldn’t have to keep adding tabs with each new expansion, and we’d still have the option of doing the central Tyria dailies we know and love.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

I think each expansion gets its own dailies tab is a great idea. Thank you Bridlegoose.

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: someone who said we should change it simply because people have differing tastes. So I asked where should that stop and how each time they did a change to appease one group’s tastes, you’d have another group that would go: but that goes against my preferences. – And how would giving everyone more choices be against people’s preferences? The only preference that it would seem to go against, is this odd preference some people have for the game to be more restricted, with less options. And that just makes no sense. (And the people who will complain about anything. But of course, they’ll complain about anything – so you just can’t win with them. They’ll always be complaining.)

re: Changing just because of people’s preferences isn’t the best course of action in a game with a wide target audience. – On the contrary. With a wide target audience, you want more choices and you want them to be less restricted.

re: See if you can find someone to group with that has those maps open and if you have Teleport to Friend items. This is a quick way to get some way points in those areas. – Why should people have to burn a teleport to friend, for a daily? Why should they have to PUG for them? More choices, that are less restrictive, will make less problems.

re: It will take soooooo muuuuuuch WOOOOOORRRKK to add more choices to dailies. – I guess all of you asserting this have missed how such flexibility is already built into the dailies system. There are more options and categories added every festival, for quite some time now. This capability is already built in. And the recent SAB festival proves that categories can already hold up to 6.(maybe more) And I think 6 options for each game mode is a great place to start. Especially if they make them less restricted.

re: If the dailies aren’t fun, don’t do them – This is a problem. The dailies should be fun.

re: there are plenty of other ways to earn loot in the game – That’s right, therefore the dailies should be fun. For a wide variety of people.

re: the dailies are designed to get people to spread out and do different things. – I am not some clueless idiot who has no idea what he wants to do with his time. And I suspect that I am not alone in this. If something seems like it would be fun/interesting/rewarding, etc… I try it. But lately I’m finding that there are less fun options.(IMO) This concerns me. Once again, more options, that are less restricted would help.

re: There are PvE dailies in WvW pretty much every day. This increases the number of PvE options to as much as six or seven fairly frequently. – No, it makes them WvW dailies. Hence the category they’re in. Yes, I’ll go buy badges every once in a while, when the (IMO) “good” options are slim. But why should I have to learn a whole different game mode, and all new maps, for a daily? I don’t think it’s right to cheese dailies by going into a different mode and “not really playing” to get them. And how is that fun?

And once again, how do more options, that are less restricted hurt anyone? Unless you’re in this (IMO) weird crowd that seems to think that games should be work and absolutely NO FUN AT ALL. Why do people like that even play games? Geez, get a job, or a second job. The rest of us, we’re here for the fun.

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

But why should I have to learn a whole different game mode, and all new maps, for a daily?

But you don’t have to do it. It’s a bit of gold, a few spirit shards, and a few AP, not a mandate from the president. I’m pretty regularly missing dailies myself just because I couldn’t be bothered filling them.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Like I said above, they should not put a large amount of work into it in the near future if it was going to be long and hard to do so because the number of players who have an issue with the dailies and that that issue is a high priority is likely low enough that ANet has enough other things that are higher priority to work on instead.

Like Living World Season 3 and resuming work on the remaining legendaries.

True, but implementing something like this might not take anything away from those projects. I mean this is a UI/coding issue, how to launch and display more of the existing objectives than are currently launched and displayed. It’s possible that the people capable of doing this are all needed on other projects, but it’s equally possible that they are in a bit of a lull between other elements, or will be at some point. Each employee has certain tasks that they are capable of, and it’s not like you can just shift them around to do any task in the game, so the odds of someone having the time to tackle this are relatively high, I should think.

I just think “this might be a lot of work and if so they shouldn’t do it” is not something players need to say. If it’s false, then it’s pointless speculation, if it’s true, then they already know that, so again pointless. I think it’s valid for people to ask for things that they want to see, and I think it’s also perfectly fair for people to point out “even if we could get that completely for free, I wouldn’t want that because. . .” fine, but “they shouldn’t do that because it’s too much work,” I don’t think accomplishes that much.

How many times do I have to repeat that I am NOT saying that if it would take work that they shouldn’t do it?

I am saying that if it would take a lot of work and/or take a long time to do, it should be a lower priority and not be focused on for a patch in the near future. Fall content update time, fine, but not the next few patches.

They have more important things to work on than adding more daily options and I am not opposed to them.adding more. Either your option or the one that was suggested to add in another category to split PvE dailies into 4 core tyria dailies and 4 HoT dailies.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

re: someone who said we should change it simply because people have differing tastes. So I asked where should that stop and how each time they did a change to appease one group’s tastes, you’d have another group that would go: but that goes against my preferences. – And how would giving everyone more choices be against people’s preferences? The only preference that it would seem to go against, is this odd preference some people have for the game to be more restricted, with less options. And that just makes no sense. (And the people who will complain about anything. But of course, they’ll complain about anything – so you just can’t win with them. They’ll always be complaining.)

re: Changing just because of people’s preferences isn’t the best course of action in a game with a wide target audience. – On the contrary. With a wide target audience, you want more choices and you want them to be less restricted.

re: See if you can find someone to group with that has those maps open and if you have Teleport to Friend items. This is a quick way to get some way points in those areas. – Why should people have to burn a teleport to friend, for a daily? Why should they have to PUG for them? More choices, that are less restrictive, will make less problems.

re: It will take soooooo muuuuuuch WOOOOOORRRKK to add more choices to dailies. – I guess all of you asserting this have missed how such flexibility is already built into the dailies system. There are more options and categories added every festival, for quite some time now. This capability is already built in. And the recent SAB festival proves that categories can already hold up to 6.(maybe more) And I think 6 options for each game mode is a great place to start. Especially if they make them less restricted.

re: If the dailies aren’t fun, don’t do them – This is a problem. The dailies should be fun.

re: there are plenty of other ways to earn loot in the game – That’s right, therefore the dailies should be fun. For a wide variety of people.

re: the dailies are designed to get people to spread out and do different things. – I am not some clueless idiot who has no idea what he wants to do with his time. And I suspect that I am not alone in this. If something seems like it would be fun/interesting/rewarding, etc… I try it. But lately I’m finding that there are less fun options.(IMO) This concerns me. Once again, more options, that are less restricted would help.

re: There are PvE dailies in WvW pretty much every day. This increases the number of PvE options to as much as six or seven fairly frequently. – No, it makes them WvW dailies. Hence the category they’re in. Yes, I’ll go buy badges every once in a while, when the (IMO) “good” options are slim. But why should I have to learn a whole different game mode, and all new maps, for a daily? I don’t think it’s right to cheese dailies by going into a different mode and “not really playing” to get them. And how is that fun?

And once again, how do more options, that are less restricted hurt anyone? Unless you’re in this (IMO) weird crowd that seems to think that games should be work and absolutely NO FUN AT ALL. Why do people like that even play games? Geez, get a job, or a second job. The rest of us, we’re here for the fun.

Nice strawman in there at the end.

WvW is composed of both PvE and PvP. It is not only possible, but actually very easy to do the PvE (and it is in fact PvE by the very definition of that term) daily elements without engaging in PvP. You also do not need to learn the game mode nor the maps for this.

Ultimately anything that could be added as a daily that one could find fun is something that one could do anyway. Rewards for dailies are not rare, special, or unique skins that cannot be earned doing something else that one actually enjoys are they?

So do what one enjoys in game, on a daily basis, every day, and have fun while being rewarded for that fun.

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Just go into another gane mode. – First off, I don’t want to be forced to do what I don’t want to do. Second, (and I think this would be important to everyone) I don’t want players in a game mode, who don’t want to be there.

I only play PvE. And I only want players there who are engaged, and want to participate. People who enjoy PvE. I don’t want players there, who feel like they have to be there, because they’re working towards something which is (unfairly) restricted to PvE. This goes beyond dailies. There are other things unfairly restricted to certain game modes.
Why would anyone want players in a game mode that don’t want to be there, and are just there to cheese dailies/get some special item, etc… I would think that this would be especially crucial for PvP and WvW, where players always need to be engaged and participating. Not resenting every second they’re in there and wishing they were in another mode the whole time. I would think that would bring the whole game mode down. Who would want their preferred game mode brought down by people who don’t want to be there?

re: WvW is composed of both PvE and PvP. – That’s like saying “Martinis have olives. You like olives, so why don’t you drink martinis?”
To which I reply:
“Pass me that jar of olives, but keep the booze.(and whatever else is in a martini)”

But it’s more than that. While I’m in there, I count as a member of my team, but I’m not contributing – I’m just there to cheese dailies. This makes me being there a negative for my team. Why would anyone want that for their game mode?(unwilling non-participants, pulling their team down)

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Dailies do not exist to be fun. Dailies do not exist to provide rewards. Dailies do not exist for any reason other than to incentivize people to participate in content that they do not normally do, whether it’s moving them to underplayed maps, into PvP, or into WvW.

Asking for them to make it easier to complete Dailies without doing content you don’t normally do is pretty pointless, since it will never happen as it directly conflicts with the entire point of the dailies.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Dailies do not exist to be fun. Dailies do not exist to provide rewards. Dailies do not exist for any reason other than to incentivize people to participate in content that they do not normally do, whether it’s moving them to underplayed maps, into PvP, or into WvW.

Asking for them to make it easier to complete Dailies without doing content you don’t normally do is pretty pointless, since it will never happen as it directly conflicts with the entire point of the dailies.

u must not have been here during daily revision… 2 or 3. it was a choose your own daily system, had a ton of things to do, you picked like 5 or 10, did it as you played whatever content u were already going to play, and it was good

Elden Arnaas.4870

Anet exists to accommodate players. Players do not exist to accommodate Anet. They’re in the business of making a game for entertainment. People who don’t like it will go elsewhere. Is this what you want?

It seems like Anet got a reminder of this recently. Witness the large patch that just came out. Mainly filled with fixes and tweaks, and new stuff that should have been released long ago.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I’d like to politely oppose the OP.

IMHO, we’ve not got too many dailies. The game is starting to get very repetitive. It’s hard to organize group stuff because many of my guildies don’t have time for anything but dailies any more.

They’re taking the fun from the game. Please, if anything, remove them…

OR

How about an option where we can just hide the list of dailies on the UI? I don’t want to do them, I don’t want to ever see them.

Please!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

re: Just go into another gane mode. – First off, I don’t want to be forced to do what I don’t want to do. Second, (and I think this would be important to everyone) I don’t want players in a game mode, who don’t want to be there.

I only play PvE. And I only want players there who are engaged, and want to participate. People who enjoy PvE. I don’t want players there, who feel like they have to be there, because they’re working towards something which is (unfairly) restricted to PvE. This goes beyond dailies. There are other things unfairly restricted to certain game modes.
Why would anyone want players in a game mode that don’t want to be there, and are just there to cheese dailies/get some special item, etc… I would think that this would be especially crucial for PvP and WvW, where players always need to be engaged and participating. Not resenting every second they’re in there and wishing they were in another mode the whole time. I would think that would bring the whole game mode down. Who would want their preferred game mode brought down by people who don’t want to be there?

re: WvW is composed of both PvE and PvP. – That’s like saying “Martinis have olives. You like olives, so why don’t you drink martinis?”
To which I reply:
“Pass me that jar of olives, but keep the booze.(and whatever else is in a martini)”

nothing like that at all. No booze, just jars of olives. It would be closer to reality if you had said that the store you frequent kept jars of olives in the same aisle as the vodka and vermouth. There they are, walk right up to the olives, take them to the checkout counter, go home, make your sandwich with an olive on top, eat to your heart’s content…all wthout ever interacting with alcohol.

But it’s more than that. While I’m in there, I count as a member of my team, but I’m not contributing – I’m just there to cheese dailies. This makes me being there a negative for my team. Why would anyone want that for their game mode?(unwilling non-participants, pulling their team down)

WvW doesnt scale up based on number of players on the map.

Responses in bold.

Elden Arnaas.4870

@ Chou – What the OP is asking for is more choices, so that dailies aren’t such a chore.

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: Vodka/olives & Being able to play only the PvE in WvW – This response makes sense to you because you know and enjoy WvW. You know the store and the neighborhood it’s in. You read and speak the language. And you know how to avoid the muggers. I’m a foreigner, I don’t know the neighborhood, the customs/culture, the store location or layout, and I’m easy prey for the muggers.
What I want is to be able to go to my store, in my neighborhood. And get the groceries on the list. My Store, in my neighborhood should carry a wider variety of items, so I don’t have to go to a different store.
But that’s where this analogy breaks down. Because it would coast a store significantly to increase the total number if items that they carry. Anet just needs to spend a little time for meetings to go over the changes, and then a little time for someone to turn on the extra options.(As stated before, the capability is already built-in, proven by festivals.)

re: WvW doesnt scale up based on number of players on the map. – Well that’s good, because there are people there to cheese dailies that aren’t participating.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

u must not have been here during daily revision… 2 or 3. it was a choose your own daily system, had a ton of things to do, you picked like 5 or 10, did it as you played whatever content u were already going to play, and it was good

Been here since the beginning. ArenaNet changed the daily system from the original “log in, do the same thing every day, get stuff” system to one where the easiest way to get them done was to mix your time across PvE, PvP, and WvW. This change made the dailies work as intended (i.e. act as motivators to get people to do everything).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I enjoyed the old daily achievements. I could get few AP (yes, I liked that AP) each day. I had no need to grind all the 10 points every day, something that seems to be so important to some others.
I got 1, 3, sometimes all 5, sometimes even 7 or 8 which were pretty awesome days.
(at least I think I remember a time with incredible amount of options some days)

I want nothing to do with the PvP modes. Nothing.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Personally, I loathe what they’ve done with the dailies. Once again, they are trying to ‘force’ people to participate in game elements they think under-utilized. And that’s just wrong for a game that essentially said ‘to each their own, have fun any way you want’ at launch.

Heart of Thorns turned out to be WAY too click-intensive/stress intensive for me. It’s more like a first person shooter – especially those ‘adventures’ – than a real MMO. It also lured you into playing WAY too long at a stretch, making rewards only available if you completed long-winded zone events. As a result, I ended up in physiotherapy with severe shoulder complaints (still ongoing, 4 months now).

I can’t play more than maybe 30 minutes a day without pain now. I definitely cannot do anything that causes tension in that shoulder.

Well there rewards are there now. But this is an interesting take, HOT is breaking people down, liability? Hmmm, I think this would force game development world wide to a screeching halt. I don’t know if that can truly be factored in, “are we abusing our players bodies?”.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

@ Chou – What the OP is asking for is more choices, so that dailies aren’t such a chore.

Dailies are a chore? When did this happen?

Hint: if they’re too much of a bother on that certain day, then don’t do them. (I do this all the time, depending on how I am feeling and how my work day went). It is not like you’re going to lose anything crucial if you don’t do the daily.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

To which I reply:

Man, that sounds like one serious gaming attitude. And yea, I do realize those types of attitudes exist in gamers. More power to ya.

But what also exists in game are people with my sort of attitude…..“just having fun”. I don’t care if a member of my team, boss battle, wvw party, pvp party, whatever, is super focused and paying attention every second they’re there. As long as they’re having fun. If my team gets “pulled down” because everyone is laughing too hard in TS, and we blow it on an event, mission, wvw or pvp battle, etc……so what? At least everyone was having fun and laughing/smiling a lot. It is just a game. The ‘fun’ part is what is most important to me. (and quite a few other players that I know)

There have been lots of times when I have been in a game mode that I didn’t enjoy, usually because I wasn’t very familiar with that mode. Fortunately for me, there has always been someone in the party that has been willing to give me a chance and talk me through it, rather than just blowing me off because I might not be focused/serious enough.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Of course I mainly mention the class ones (which are half of them), those are the harder ones, the other two are almost as easy as the easy PvE ones (although I have failed to get 3 kills in a single match recently and if you’re unlucky you can fail to get a reward for a single loss).

But the thing is, if you get the “win with X class” ones, you can complete them in the SAME match as the other two. Try getting the “Brisban Wildlands Event Completer,” “Leyline run,” “Kryta Vista Viewer,” and " Orr Lumberer" at the same time. I’ll even cut you a break, accomplish any two of those by performing a single activity.

I am saying that if it would take a lot of work and/or take a long time to do, it should be a lower priority and not be focused on for a patch in the near future. Fall content update time, fine, but not the next few patches.

and again, that very literally “goes without saying.”

IMHO, we’ve not got too many dailies. The game is starting to get very repetitive. It’s hard to organize group stuff because many of my guildies don’t have time for anything but dailies any more.

You would still only need to do three of them. This would not add any more dailies that you would need to do, it would just give you more options for your personal three.

How about an option where we can just hide the list of dailies on the UI? I don’t want to do them, I don’t want to ever see them.

You can already do this. Just find any one achievement that you don’t particularly care about, and click on the little “eye” icon in the top corner. This will cause the achievement to be tracked where the daily usually goes, and should hide all the dailies. You can also collapse that bar too if it still bothers you.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Wow. Just… wow. I can’t remember the last time I heard something so very wrong.

If Dailies aren’t for fun, or for rewards, then where’s this “incentive” thing you speak of for doing them? (You can’t be talking about earning Achievement Points… there are no decent rewards down that path).

The entire point of Dailies is absolutely not to make people do things they don’t normally do. This is a GAME. They retain players by making things FUN. Being told where to go and what to do isn’t fun. That is why people aren’t happy when left with such a narrow band of options.

And THAT is what the OP is asking for. More options. Not easier tasks. More choices. I would be happy to see the super-simple stuff disappear entirely (Vistas/Gathering) and have more challenging things to do – if we had more choices!

For example, one PvE option could be: “Do this, this, or this mini-dungeon.” That gives us more choice, and also helps keep any single mini-dungeon from turning into an overcrowded zergfest. (You would only get Dailies credit for doing ONE of those mini dungeons).

Another PvE option could be: “Defeat this, this, or this World Boss”. Choices again, and it can also help people that have time constraints and aren’t able to wait around a couple hours until a specific World Boss appears.

It’s easy. You can still keep it set to 4 PvE, 4 PvP, and 4 WvW, but just give each one 3 options apiece. More choice. More diversity. More fun.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

In my opinion, this is such a minor, teeny, tiny, puny, teensy, micro, spec of an “inconvenience” that it is hardly worth noting.

There seems to be enough dailies that three can easily, quickly — and enjoyably — be acquired every day.

NSPride <3

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Been here since the beginning. ArenaNet changed the daily system from the original “log in, do the same thing every day, get stuff” system to one where the easiest way to get them done was to mix your time across PvE, PvP, and WvW. This change made the dailies work as intended (i.e. act as motivators to get people to do everything).

That was not their original purpose. The original purpose was to provide a small reward for playing daily. The original and subsequent iteration reflected that philosophy. No, the intention changed, not just the implementation.

ANet found out that “because it’s fun” was not generating the kind of longevity they wanted. Players as much as told them, “You can lead us around to where you want us by dangling carrots in front of us.” Sad, really.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

With this new system, we want to give players the opportunity to try things they may not normally experience and feel like the rewards they earn for doing so mean something.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-new-daily-achievement-system/

Hamfast.8719

In my opinion, this is such a minor, teeny, tiny, puny, teensy, micro, spec of an “inconvenience” that it is hardly worth noting.

There seems to be enough dailies that three can easily, quickly — and enjoyably — be acquired every day.

And that, my friend, is exactly how the Dailies were originally intended to work. Something you can usually accomplish – without deviating from what you want to do – during your normal course of play. I am glad you enjoy them and can do them quickly. I suspect you are comfortable in more than just one game mode (PvP/PvE/WvW).

The first time they changed up dailies, they became more restrictive. More specific goals were made. That made it hard to follow your “normal course of play” unless you normally enjoy playing more than one game mode. They’ve been that way ever since, and those of us who only want to play one mode feel a certain bitterness when lack of choice in our area of comfort makes it seem as if we’re being forced to do unpleasant stuff.

Razor.9872

And that, my friend, is exactly how the Dailies were originally intended to work. Something you can usually accomplish – without deviating from what you want to do – during your normal course of play. I am glad you enjoy them and can do them quickly. I suspect you are comfortable in more than just one game mode (PvP/PvE/WvW).

The first time they changed up dailies, they became more restrictive. More specific goals were made. That made it hard to follow your “normal course of play” unless you normally enjoy playing more than one game mode. They’ve been that way ever since, and those of us who only want to play one mode feel a certain bitterness when lack of choice in our area of comfort makes it seem as if we’re being forced to do unpleasant stuff.

What is your normal-course-of-play, and what dailies would you like to see added to the game-section you operate in?

Edit: This question can probably be directed to the OP too.

NSPride <3

(edited by Razor.9872)

Hamfast.8719

With this new system, we want to give players the opportunity to try things they may not normally experience and feel like the rewards they earn for doing so mean something.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-new-daily-achievement-system/

Yes. Their philosophy changed at that point. Unfortunately, when they say “give players the opportunity to try things they might not normally experience”, many of us read it as “push us to do something we already know we don’t enjoy”.

Here’s what the Dailies looked like originally (a blast from the past!):

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily_%28achievements%29

For those who never experienced it, or those who have forgotten, you can see how broad the tasks were, letting us truly accomplish them while doing what we wanted.

Hamfast.8719

What is your normal-course-of-play, and what dailies would you like to see added to the game-section you operate in?

See my previous post above for my idea of being able to do things during the normal course of play. I thought those original Dailies were fun.

But several more posts above that I offered an idea I would actually prefer to see. It isn’t so much about “normal course of play” as it is about giving you more choices. I think you should be able to (for example) choose between one of 3 World Bosses to kill. Choose between one of 3 mini dungeons to complete. Between one of 3 Jumping Puzzles to complete. Etc.

Razor.9872

See my previous post above for my idea of being able to do things during the normal course of play. I thought those original Dailies were fun.

But several more posts above that I offered an idea I would actually prefer to see. It isn’t so much about “normal course of play” as it is about giving you more choices. I think you should be able to (for example) choose between one of 3 World Bosses to kill. Choose between one of 3 mini dungeons to complete. Between one of 3 Jumping Puzzles to complete. Etc.

I suppose that is reasonable. But to play the “devil’s advocate,” maybe this would actually decentivize diversity through “the path of least resistance” effect and promote repeating a norm every day. In the long-run, this could make the game feel more stagnant for the casual player?

NSPride <3

Etienne.3049

But the thing is, if you get the “win with X class” ones, you can complete them in the SAME match as the other two. Try getting the “Brisban Wildlands Event Completer,” “Leyline run,” “Kryta Vista Viewer,” and " Orr Lumberer" at the same time. I’ll even cut you a break, accomplish any two of those by performing a single activity.

I could probably get both Vista Viewer and Harvesting in less time than a full PvP match, probably the Leyline Run too if it’s not both a near-instant queue and a short (/one-sided) match.
I fail to see why it matters whether it is a single activity or not.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t like to see world boss and especially n events in map x replaced by something else as I find both running around hoping to tag an event and waiting (for a boss to spawn) not worth doing.
But there are plenty of options (12 of them) and the game doesn’t NEED anything regarding dailies

Posted by: NSevenDanny.4107

NSevenDanny.4107

“Daily Ruined City of Arah”

> Run one explorable path
> Rewards 100 bonus tokens and tome of knowledge.

Well, that on top of the dungeon updates kinda makes things interesting.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

“Daily Ruined City of Arah”

> Run one explorable path
> Rewards 100 bonus tokens and tome of knowledge.

Well, that on top of the dungeon updates kinda makes things interesting.

Yeah that caught my attention. This is the sort of daily that I’m really excited to see because it will help these dungeons out a lot. 100 tokens isn’t small peas.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Ohoni.6057

I could probably get both Vista Viewer and Harvesting in less time than a full PvP match, probably the Leyline Run too if it’s not both a near-instant queue and a short (/one-sided) match.

I didn’t say within the same amount of time, I said “while participating in a single activity.” Obviously you can complete two or more PvE objectives within the same time as a PvE match, though the third would usually take considerably longer.

done by now.”

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Having read the speculation in this thread I’d just like to say Thank You for this accurate statement.

This was all hashed out after the last change. Lot’s of us didn’t like the change but guess what. It’s not about fun, it’s about the company making money. No money, no fun game. Simple as that. For whatever reasons, they want us involved in all parts of the game, or at least to try it all. It is their right to try to motivate us by bribing us with rewards for doing it.

You are asking for more options in this area where the developers have been instructed to provide less.

Seriously, If you can find out specifically why they want us playing all parts of the game, and then come up with a way that they can benefit more from changing to a system with more options, then all you have to do is convince everyone else that wants something, that your issue is more important.
“I want it because it’s more fun” just ain’t enough to get this done.

Personally, I play what I enjoy but gradually try new stuff. There’s plenty of other fun ways to make a couple gold.

Ohoni.6057

This was all hashed out after the last change. Lot’s of us didn’t like the change but guess what. It’s not about fun, it’s about the company making money. No money, no fun game. Simple as that. For whatever reasons, they want us involved in all parts of the game, or at least to try it all. It is their right to try to motivate us by bribing us with rewards for doing it.

But the practical purpose for dailies, the primary purpose, is not “to get players out of their comfort zone.” The Primary purpose is “to get you to show up every day and do something that involves engaging with the game.” That’s it. The log-in reward gets you to at least log in every day and then log out, the daily missions are there so that, once you’ve logged in, you at least set out and play some of the game, perhaps getting caught up in it enough to play a little more even if you hadn’t intended to.

That is the primary purpose of the daily mission.

Now, “getting players out of their comfort zone” can be a secondary goal, but if the available options are too inconvenient then a player will choose to do none of them, rather than all of them.

done by now.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think the discussion is going nowhere.

• Those who think there are already plenty of options aren’t going to be convinced that there aren’t enough.
  • Those that think there should be an option for every style of gamer aren’t going to be convinced that the current system is sufficient.

We’ve seen all the arguments; ANet’s seen them. Based on the recent patch, my guess is they are satisfied with the status quo: they changed dailies substantially by offering different choices for HoT owners, but they didn’t increase the number or variety.

Personally, I feel that it’s a gift that we get dailies in addition to the zero-effort login rewards. I do them when they are fun and/or easy and skip them otherwise, 10 AP or otherwise. Your mileage will vary, which is fine — it’s a big game, plenty of room for different styles of play.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I own HoT. I have a level 80 (actually 3). One has been to VB long enough to get gliders unlocked and have never returned.

I don’t want to be directed to play on HoT maps since I don’t really have a character that’s been playing in HoT zones.

Yes, I am very likely a minority in this but that’s why I’m less than thrilled with HoT activity

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Tumult.2578

But the practical purpose for dailies, the primary purpose, is not “to get players out of their comfort zone.” The Primary purpose is “to get you to show up every day and do something that involves engaging with the game.” That’s it. The log-in reward gets you to at least log in every day and then log out, the daily missions are there so that, once you’ve logged in, you at least set out and play some of the game, perhaps getting caught up in it enough to play a little more even if you hadn’t intended to.

That is the primary purpose of the daily mission.

Now, “getting players out of their comfort zone” can be a secondary goal, but if the available options are too inconvenient then a player will choose to do none of them, rather than all of them.

That’s all your interpretation of what it should be. I wish it were so too. The purpose changed. The Daily Achievements were changed to log in rewards and dailies. The log in rewards are to get you here. The game and the gem shop are the purpose. The specific purpose of Dailys is to get us to play in all parts of the game. Your primary purpose and secondary purpose were reversed when the last change was made.
There’s no such thing as a daily mission.

Ohoni.6057

The specific purpose of Dailys is to get us to play in all parts of the game.

I think if that were true then it wouldn’t even be possible to clear them using only one round. Like it would require you to do at least one of each mode. Hell, while the current dailies might get you to do a little “not-PvE”, if you’re already a PvPer then you have no issue just doing the PvP ones, and they’re the ones most in need of branching out.

done by now.”

Etienne.3049

I didn’t say within the same amount of time, I said “while participating in a single activity.” Obviously you can complete two or more PvE objectives within the same time as a PvE match, though the third would usually take considerably longer.

Hence the " I fail to see why it matters whether it is a single activity or not." bit, which you completely left out of your quote.

But this part of the discussion really is going nowhere, I wasn’t even planning on responding after my last reply, I just can’t stand people quoting only what is convenient for them and leaving other stuff, that is relevant to the quoted bit, out.

Ohoni.6057

Hence the " I fail to see why it matters whether it is a single activity or not." bit, which you completely left out of your quote.

Because doing one thing to earn three credits is easier than doing three separate things. And since you do need three things, rather than just two, how quickly you can complete two of them means little if the third takes significantly longer.

done by now.”

Tumult.2578

The specific purpose of Dailys is to get us to play in all parts of the game.

I think if that were true then it wouldn’t even be possible to clear them using only one round. Like it would require you to do at least one of each mode. Hell, while the current dailies might get you to do a little “not-PvE”, if you’re already a PvPer then you have no issue just doing the PvP ones, and they’re the ones most in need of branching out.

This has been a gradually changing thing. The Daily Achievements were ended because too many players were getting burned out trying to do all 10 achieves every day to stay on top of the leaderboard. They got many complaints and finally changed it. There were lots of players who were not concerned with leaderboards doing the minimum 3 for credit because they enjoyed how it sort of “opened the game each day”. It drew us further into the game.
So instead of simply eliminating it, they retained a minimum 3 and more clearly separated them for us to play and used it as a tool to continue to coax us into all parts of the game. They introduced the log in rewards to make up for what was lost from doing all 10 achieves and because most other games were doing it.
It started as a fun part of the game but was changed to a tool for moving us in to other parts of the game. Now it is continuing in it’s evolution and it’s intent has become even more clear, so, we get threads asking to reverse the process, to give us what we had. It’s not working great as a motivator yet but it’s still changing. What you suggest here that I quoted may very well be the next version of Dailies.

There are legitimate reasons for doing it this way, whether we want it or not.
If one of your goals was to make the game a big e-sport/spectator money maker, do you see a better way to coax players into PvP? I bet they’d love to hear your ideas.

Ohoni.6057

Players don’t want to PvP. Giving players more reasons to PvP is givign them more reasons to quite the game.

done by now.”

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Players don’t want to PvP. Giving players more reasons to PvP is givign them more reasons to quite the game.

I think a lot of players do want to PvP given the fact that players do post quite often on the PvP board and were quite outraged at the beginning of the latest season due to how the matchmaking system works currently.

That being said, I get what you are trying to say. That not all players want to PvP and that if too many aspects of the game go: play PvP, they may decide that enough is enough and stop playing the game.

When I see it’s stuff I don’t want to do, I just shrug and get on with what I want to do. It’s just 10 AP, some spirit shards, and 2 gold and some random small stuff for doing specific dailies (and most of the time it’s karma and experience stuff).

Daily AP caps, so not getting the AP every day isn’t the end of the world. Gold’s not that hard to come by in this game, so 2 gold I can take or leave. And spirit shards aren’t that rare that missing the daily a few days isn’t going to have a negative impact unless you constantly do things that use spirit shards. There isn’t really this huge negative impact of not doing the dailies.

You aren’t forced to the dailies. I am not forced to only gather in one area or do events in one zone if I haven’t done my dailies. However, if I want the rewards, I have to do the dailies that ANet puts out. So I just weigh what’s present vs what the rewards are. If I don’t want to do the options of that day enough and the reward doesn’t compensate enough, then I don’t do it (and the rewards never compensate enough to get me to do what I don’t want to do).

So while more options would be nice and I wouldn’t be against them adding it, it’s not the end of the world if they don’t.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

PVP has always been a side show to this genre of game imho.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Dailies aren’t really a system designed to reward what you already felt like doing at that moment. They’re designed to give you something specific to do when you don’t have anything in mind.

The 2 gold thing is there as part of the overall rewards revamp, as daily rewards felt a little light for going out of your way to do them.

Basically, the whole point of dailies is that you’re supposed to go out of your way to do them rather than function as passive rewards for what you were already doing.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Ohoni.6057

I think a lot of players do want to PvP given the fact that players do post quite often on the PvP board and were quite outraged at the beginning of the latest season due to how the matchmaking system works currently.

As you go on to say, some do, certainly, but some don’t, and nobody benefits from funneling those who don’t into the PvP aspects regardless of their interests. Let PvPers PvP, let non-PvPers ignore that the PvP aspect even exists without missing out on anything they might want.

When I see it’s stuff I don’t want to do, I just shrug and get on with what I want to do. It’s just 10 AP, some spirit shards, and 2 gold and some random small stuff for doing specific dailies (and most of the time it’s karma and experience stuff).

When it comes to dailies, it’s not a huge problem, I don’t think many players will quit over it, but it is something they could be doing better, that they could allow PvEers to complete their dailies without so much hassle. It’s not even the reward that really matters, it’s the psychology of “this is the daily, it should be completed.”

You seem to take a very laid back approach to game design, “que sera sera, whatever the devs decide will be,” and that’s fine, but I look not at how things are, but how much better they could be, and I ask for them to be better so that they can be the best they can be. The bright side of this is, if they do change things, it would work out just as well for you as the current system, so, que sera sera.

Dailies aren’t really a system designed to reward what you already felt like doing at that moment. They’re designed to give you something specific to do when you don’t have anything in mind.

Right, and offering a couple more dailies per day would still do that just fine, it would just give you a few more options in which tasks you wanted to do.

done by now.”

Posted by: Chaotica.5347

Chaotica.5347

The fact that the dailies are pushing people into areas that they haven’t accessed yet, sounds like another forced to ‘do it our way or not at all’ scenario. Add more PvE options. ( I don’t do PvP or WvW now and probably never will.) Usually 2 of the options I get are beyond my capabilities on any of my characters. ( Fairly new to the game and am still learning. )

Just because we have level 80 characters…doesn’t mean much. You can push a toon to 80 without doing anything other than using the tomes of knowledge or using the boost we got. Doesn’t mean we are ready to take on level 50+ areas!!

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

OP, you’ve got quite the reputation for complaining.