More slick and elegant weapon skins please!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I don’t mind the big fantasy-unusable weapons. Some do look cool and some of my characters do use them. But I also would love to have more realistic options.
I have a hard time finding realistic-ish weapons I like ingame, and am working kitten getting Infinite Light (as it’s the only sword-skin I really like).
That the weapons are too big, as in that onehanded swords have the size of longswords in real – I don’t mind. The weapons would be very small otherwise, and hardly visible for even yourself. For me being realistic and looking realistic can be seperated. Is Bonetti’s Rapier realistic? No. As others pointed out it’s too long. But does it look realistic? It does imo. It’s sleek and not over the top. It looks like an actual weapon.

I see some people saying that realistic weapons are boring, and I beg to differ. Maybe some of them are somewhat boring and ‘normal’. But there have been plenty of beautiful and unusual weapons that set themselves apart quite a bit.

Baskethilted Scottish broadsword
Federschwert, or fencing sword. Mostly used for training.
Cavalry officer’s sword
Sickle sword of Mesopotamia
German boar sword, for boar hunting
French smallsword
Scottish highlander sword
Infantry officer’s sabre inlaid with blue and gilt

And that’s without even starting about Chinese, Japanese and Indian swords.
There is a lot of diversity in realistic swords alone, and I don’t see why they can’t live alongside of the big fantasy-weapons we already have ingame.

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Posted by: Natsu.2589

Natsu.2589

I have to agree here. More realistic looking weapons would be nice. Go nuts with the details, but make them actual convincing weapons.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I’d also like to point out that the weapons don’t even have to be realistic to fulfill the slick, sleek, slim .etc criteria.

I’d go nuts for a sharp skinny blade floating on a thin asuran energy beam.

I just don’t want to swing an unsharpened rock around.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Good heavens are people always trying to suppress someone else all the time? Some people want more realistic weapons, myself included and there are people crying about it? Why? It’s obvious up close what most people are using or by animations. It’s a stupid argument and the worst part is there is a ton of huge, fat swords and goofy looking stuff in game already. Let people have some realistic look skins or katanas or whatever. The last few weaponsets have been nothing but gaudy stuff so you anti-realistic weapon weirdos can be happy.

You don’t get it. You’re still lumping size with realistic design. I already showed why a realistically designed sword would be a bad idea if it was the same size as a realistic sword. This game’s visual style doesn’t allow for it. Even the most reasonable swords are monstrous in size by comparison.

That the weapons are too big, as in that onehanded swords have the size of longswords in real – I don’t mind. The weapons would be very small otherwise, and hardly visible for even yourself. For me being realistic and looking realistic can be seperated. Is Bonetti’s Rapier realistic? No. As others pointed out it’s too long. But does it look realistic? It does imo. It’s sleek and not over the top. It looks like an actual weapon.

someone here does get it.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I have to snort at the fantasy defense. Big, ugly, stupid, impractical, campy nonsense weapons are a design choice that has nothing to do with the genre called “fantasy”.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I have to snort at the fantasy defense. Big, ugly, stupid, impractical, campy nonsense weapons are a design choice that has nothing to do with the genre called “fantasy”.

I’m not sure that a Fantasy game is the right fit for you if you are unable to suspend your disbelief long enough that there can be a sword made of separate crystal fragments held together by magic, in a game world that is literally overflowing with the stuff.

Until Anet introduces a giant fish and I can swing around as a greatsword, I’m going to keep using the fantasy defense.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Reading comprehension? Nothing you said in your reply has anything to do with anything I said, at all.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I would like this game to get Gw1 weapons stile.Gw2 weapons are really too much fantasy.Its nice to have big glowing weapons but its even better if we have all variation of weapons.For now its just BIG FANTASY.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The problem I have with GW2’s more realistic blade designs, is that they lack the graphical qualities to make them look deadly.

Generally, most of this game’s realistic blades look boring and bland, and even worse, any resemblance of detail gets lost when I zoom out the camera. In comparison, the bulkier weapons have far less of this problem.

I have bought the rapier, but I’d wish the blade was shinier and stood out more.

Also, I have always found that more realistic blades are more impressive in games where the attacks are more realistic and blood is spilled. Add to that a nice shine to the blade, and a nice, deadly metallic sound on slashing, and they’d have far more psychological impact on me than boring grey sticks that attempt to simulate reality.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

“Fantasy” is so subjective.

I’ll take a “fantasy” Narsil or Orcrist.

leave Buster at home…for my taste.

Allowing client side only cosmetic mods would be really nice. I see what I want, you see what you want. Not holding my breath tho lol.

I had a client side mod in SWG that hid all halos, cupid wings and other redonkulous back items. It was wonderful. I would pay gems for a “hide back items” mod from Anet. A lot of gems.

MMO peeps tho. In EQ2 we could hide cloaks/mounts and could choose between two Character styles, SOGA or Original. We had people demanding that these be changed so that people had to see their Character “as they intended to be seen”. Oh well.

I’ve never understood the need to care about what is seen on another persons comp.

@DiogoSilva Yes I agree re Gleaming blades, for lack of a better term. My high rez “realistic” sword mods I use in skyrim have that.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I’ve never understood the need to care about what is seen on another persons comp.

Because we don’t put on clothes just so we can look in the mirror.

Some people do, but not everybody.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Because we don’t put on clothes just so we can look in the mirror.

Some people do, but not everybody.

Game girl isn’t me. If you could see me, I’d put less ratty looking jammies on. Game Girl doesn’t care.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing a reappearance of the Tengu weapons that were available in the bonus mission pack. I had the Tengu sword and bow. They were puuuurty

I loved the Tengu shield.

The amount of shield skins that I would be caught wielding can be counted on one hand in GW2…. less so if you count the ones that don’t clip on my charr’s armor.

Whenever the Tengu get reintroduced thanks to Mordy beelining through their territory, that’d be a great time to reintroduce them to the BL store.

hint hint nudge nudge ;D

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

I would actually like more toned down fantasy weapons, take the royal ascalonian grate sword. It is not realistic, its fantastic (as in fantasy) but its toned down. We need more of this, and less flashy over the top anime like weapons. Nothing wrong with anime, but the aesthetics of this game clash with it too much.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I also noticed that the realistic weapons we have ingame, as in the normal iron sword/greatsword… They have these black stains on them as if someone has been smudging their greasy fingers all over the blade and never bothered to clean it with some oil.
Would love to have a clean blade that looks like my character has been taking proper care of it.

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

This one is a nice topic. I would like to see less bulky/oversized weapons/armors too!
Realistic ones mostly. The fantasy style in GW2 went way wild… overdesigned.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

Sometimes I want even less of a wooden sword, like a tree branch or something …

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

screw slick and elegant!
<3 my Greatsaw! >:-3

oversized weapon, undersized armor, welcome to RPG mechanics!