Most Fun/highest skill/Strongest class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jona.8236

jona.8236

Q:

Hey guys,
I just bought Guild Wars 2 today and it is currently downloading. I´ve been talking a bit to my friends but none of us has any knowledge of the game so far, so I decided I´d just ask in forums.
I amnot sure which class I am going to chose and dont necessarily want to have the most OP class (not as fun to me), but I want to avoid playing a class for a couple of days just to find out it´s actually comeplete trash.
I will be playing with a group of friends, and what I´m looking for is a Damage Dealer (not a Thief pls) that has a lot of variety and is fun to play even over long time, has a certain skill cap and stuff you can get better at, but is not frustrating for beginners.
I don´t think there really is that class, but I´d like hearing some opinions of you guys so it´s easier for me to decide.
Thanks

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

Engineer. It’s slightly frustrating for beginners when you’re trying to learn the super-mega-optimal DPS rotation, but you can do a less complex rotation while sacrificing only a little bit of damage, and you’ll still be a top 3 damage dealer. The key thing that made me suggest Engi was “… has a certain skill cap and stuff you can get better at”.

I’d also suggest Ele, but it’s the most OP class. Warrior deals decent damage and has good group buffing utility, but is very simple and, to some, boring to play.

Really, Thief would seem to be your best choice. Why dismiss it right away?

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

Try engineer.

Well, try several, you get 5 character slots with your account. You can see (sort of) what they will play like at max level by going into the PvP area (heart of the mists) as long as you aren’t averse to PvP.

Engineer has very high damage and good team support. It has a pretty high skill cap also.

There are no “trash” classes. Every class can do damage. Fun is subjective. Try several to see what they are like.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Mesmer.

Hands down.

Class difficulty varies from medium to difficult in comparison with others in GW2, depending on which build you use and for which situation. Class mechanics are done very well.

It is not faceroll OP but can still do very well, as you would like, has a ton of utility as you would like, and you can go from a high DPS supportive role for PvE to very healy / tanky role, to attrition combat on it as you like, again it has a very wide variety of builds.

Most of all, if you have played other games in this genre, mesmer is a very original class. All the other ones will have many aspects of them that you have encountered, played with and got bored of, not mesmer.

If you do choose mesmer, best for leveling is to start with Greatsword + Staff, then add 1h sword / focus, then branch out from there. If I remember correctly your character starts with a scepter, ditch it ASAP and go for Greatsword for offense, staff for defense.

Also, while this isnt currently the case, but I would take a look at necro due to the upcoming expansion changes.

Avoid ranger unless you are really into uncontrollable pet classes and like being perma stuck with a wide variety of annoying and sometimes gamebreaking pet issues , thief in this game plays a bit different then other games but you dont want thief.

Elementalists are great when played well at any aspect of the game, suck when played poorly and have a skill difficulty just below mesmers.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

(edited by Tongku.5326)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’m gonna say Elementalist.

Very dynamic play style and is highest DPS in game when played properly, thus requiring the most skill IMO. On the flip side, if you play it poorly, you will likely hate the class as you will be dying constantly and/or your DPS be poor.

Mesmer is my vote for 2nd in terms of fun to play and requiring high skill to play optimally.

Bottom of the list is Warrior. Hands down. Not fun to play, mid-range DPS, low skill requirement. However, a poorly played warrior can out DPS every other class assuming they are played equally as poor. If that makes sense lol. Basically you can be bad as a Warrior and still get by without too many people noticing how terrible you are.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Try all the classes you think look cool/fun, and if you don’t like it, move on to something new.

Personally I would be wary trying elementalist first, however. Me and my friend both tried and ele for our first characters and both of us just did not feel it at all. then i tried ranger (with arguably a simpler to understand class mechanic) and immediately fell in love.

and also, if you didn’t know, you can go into heart of the mists (the little swords at the top left, then hit “pvp lobby” or something similar) and it lets you try out your class at level 80 with all skills/traits/stats.

I’d say try everything, or as much as you can. as much as people argue otherwise, all classes can easily fit most roles, and all classes can definitely fit “damage dealer”

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

Damage dealer non-frustrating for beginners: Any of the 2 heavy classes either Guardian or Warrior. You won’t die as much as you might die with a light or medium armored classes, they both level fast (you can still enjoy the game content), both have good mobility for open world exploring and can deal huge amounts of damage.

Warrior is more centered in physichal combat, have brust skills and can use almost every weapon available (except pistol, scepter, short-bow and staff). Guardians can deal great damage and are more support oriented, can buff allies and use active defenses (blocks, blinds, reflects).

Both classes will help you learn most of game’s mechanics in PVE that I think is the content you’ll be playing and enjoying more once you start. Also, both are very friendly with end-game content (fractals, dungeon speed-running among others).

Welcome to Tyria.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

You can be high damage dealer with any class. The differences between the classes is how they play, not what roles they are capable of filling.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Hardest most skillfull class in pve? Mesmers. Hands down

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Hardest most skillfull class in pve? Mesmers. Hands down

Compared to an engi or an ele, I’d say mesmer is pretty simple to play effectively.

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

I agree Mesmer has a high skill requirement to play well, in PvP and PvE. Be careful what you wish for though OP it takes a long time to get good, and it is an unforgiving class.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

My opinion as a sperg/casual

Easiest to hardest:
Ranger > Warrior > Necro > Engineer > Guardian > Thief > Mesmer > Elementalist

Highest skill needed:
Elementalist > Thief > Mesmer > Guardian > Engineer > Necro > Warrior > Ranger

Most fun:
Engineer > everything

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

Most fun: Individual preference
Highest skill: Ele/engi
Strongest: (I will assume you mean in terms of DPS) Ele or thief

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

Ele and engie will require more button presses and are more mechanically harder but they are the most versatile classes. Mesmers and Thieves require more timing and skill to play and are more specialized. It takes a lot of skill and luck to do great damage with mesmers (often things don’t last that long anyway). Mesmers are also probably the hardest class to play well in pvp.

I think elementalists would suit you best. They have among the best damage in the game (rivaled only by thieves but ele have better aoe and more versatile). They are also very squishy and so must be played well. 20 weapon skills also makes them versatile. D/F ele would probably be the fun for you. Staff probably has better damage but it’s play style is very very simple.

Engineers also have great damage (less than thieves and ele but more armor and health) and are probably the most versatile profession. They are full of surprises.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Hey guys,
I just bought Guild Wars 2 today and it is currently downloading. I´ve been talking a bit to my friends but none of us has any knowledge of the game so far, so I decided I´d just ask in forums.
I amnot sure which class I am going to chose and dont necessarily want to have the most OP class (not as fun to me), but I want to avoid playing a class for a couple of days just to find out it´s actually comeplete trash.
I will be playing with a group of friends, and what I´m looking for is a Damage Dealer (not a Thief pls) that has a lot of variety and is fun to play even over long time, has a certain skill cap and stuff you can get better at, but is not frustrating for beginners.
I don´t think there really is that class, but I´d like hearing some opinions of you guys so it´s easier for me to decide.
Thanks

Most OP: elementalist
Highest DPS: elementalist / thief
High skill cap: elementalist, engineer, mesmer

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

warrior ftw! i love my warriosr