Most Overplayed and Underplayed Profession?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zhohan.3859

Zhohan.3859

Q:

Does anyone know the most overplayed profession? I would probably say Warrior or Guardian.
Not exactly sure. By FAR the least overplayed class is the Monk. I have yet to see one in Guild Wars 2. (Had the game since launch)
I guess people don’t like being a healer and doing little to none DPS. It’s a shame.
Maybe I should role a Monk…

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

lol good troll =)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

you want to post here http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

Unfortunately those statistics don’t supply us with much information. I have a warrior, ranger, mesmer, ele and thief. My Thief is level 2 has has been for many months now. My (ranger play time)/(total play time) is >90% because the ranger is my main class and I’ve stuck with it. My boyfriend has a guardian (level 53 but he hasn’t played it since October or November) and a mesmer (whom he does not play) where as he spends all of his time on his necromancer.

I would be more interested in statistics saying which classes have the most hours played on them as opposed to which classes have the highest existence.

Champion Hunter

Posted by: Brindled.2179

Brindled.2179

Does anyone know the most overplayed profession? I would probably say Warrior or Guardian.
Not exactly sure. By FAR the least overplayed class is the Monk. I have yet to see one in Guild Wars 2. (Had the game since launch)
I guess people don’t like being a healer and doing little to none DPS. It’s a shame.

by your own logic you are shameful since you haven’t made a monk yet.

Posted by: SLOTH.5231

SLOTH.5231

I hear intelligent people play Mesmer which would probably explain why it’s one of the least played classes in the game. It requires a little bit of common sense, patience and persistence to play which most people have yet or may never develop who play this game.

Warrior and Guardian are probably tied for 1st place as most played classes because it requires little to no effort to play and takes practically no brain power to figure out.

See your local global chat for additional details!

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

is really mesmer the least played?
i can see mesmer everywhere… litterally.
anyway i play a mesmer but i’m sure i’m not clever or smart or patient. i can have common sense, maybe, but i’m not sure about it.
i’m a good mesmer though even if i made up my build

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Engie or ranger seems the least played to me.

There’s A LOT of warriors. I wouldn’t say there were no mesmers either, Id say it was a popular class.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Ellye.9123

Ellye.9123

Warrior, Guardian, Mesmer and Ranger are the ones I tend to see the most in PvE.
Guardian, Mesmer, Ranger and Thief are the ones I tend to see the most in PvP.

Engineers are the ones I see the least in both modes.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

That I’m sure is based on most rolled. Creating a player class and actually playing the class can be two totally different statistics. Like engis and mesmers I see everywhere in actual game play. Also, warrior and ranger are very popular for using as bots, so that throws off any real statistics as well. Warriors are used often, but now that CoF1 speed farming was nerfed, those warriors that were being played are probably getting more dusty now. Such as I see far less warriors running around in full CoF armor any longer.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

mesmer is getting a boost on populations after cof1..
the least is surely the engineers.. they have to wear a rucksack on kits usage, have only 3 weapon that wont be seen most of the time… the class is bad for skin progression.

Daywolf.2630

mesmer is getting a boost on populations after cof1..
the least is surely the engineers.. they have to wear a rucksack on kits usage, have only 3 weapon that wont be seen most of the time… the class is bad for skin progression.

3? I only use a few shotguns for my engi {probably will add more), depending on sigil usage. I know I can get x2 sigils using two pistols or something, but the shotgun/rifle gives good single target control. Would seem pointless since my engi and most are built around the kit, but when on the move or in sudden trouble, dropping the kit for rifle control is very valuable from my experience. My human engi is probably one of the best looking characters I have in regards to gear, at least second to my fire ele in Asura T3.

Mesmer was popular in CoF1 as well, at least as support for four glass cannon warriors. But yes, I don’t imagine mesmer usage going down over the CoF1 nerf, and probably increasing if for any reason warrior usage decreasing …if it is decreasing apart from respecing from the glass cannon build.

Answer to OP: rather than looking for what is most “popular”, try playing the class/s you find most fun for yourself? “Popular” is not always “best” and actually seldom is. Even more so among class builds.

But the most overplayed class I would say is Ranger. Most rolled or most played, I don’t know, but certainly the most annoying hehe
/ranger hate

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

It is quite possible to role a monk in this game with either a guardian or warrior. I’ve done both quite successfully. As well as role playing a monk in the ranger profession (although it IS harder to have my guildmates believe that the longbow they are seeing is actually just a staff with a string attached.)

<straightface>
BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

I play healer guardian, yeah the rare kind.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Dungeon content would actually be entertaining if we had a monk. Right now it’s just bad game design.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Oranisagu.3706

I hate when people say guard or warrior are easy to play while mesmer is hard. no, it’s just easier to play bad on the heavy armor classes. good play is just as demanding on a warrior or guard as it’s on a mesmer.
I don’t really main anything, if I did, i’d say mostly mesmer and lately my ele again. having a bad mesmer in your group is just very clear. no pulls, no reflects, no nullfields or disenchanters, the whole group suffers and everyone can see it plainly.
a bad warrior is harder to spot. they probably just don’t do much damage while not bringing anything else to the table.
healing guards? easiest to play, you don’t do anything useful, heal mainly yourself and the group has to do all the work. I prefer a decent zerker guard with AH and purevoice. fights last shorter and I don’t have to worry about condi removal myself.

back on topic, I kinda doubt the stats they put out. I see a lot of guards in dungeons groups. most pugs have 1-2 in them. quite often you really see how the overall damage just dipped to 3 persons instead of 5 while having no support or healing whatsoever. by now I kinda prefer a ranger with healing spring over all the badly played guardians out there.

Daywolf.2630

I hate when people say guard or warrior are easy to play while mesmer is hard. no, it’s just easier to play bad on the heavy armor classes. good play is just as demanding on a warrior or guard as it’s on a mesmer.
I don’t really main anything, if I did, i’d say mostly mesmer and lately my ele again. having a bad mesmer in your group is just very clear. no pulls, no reflects, no nullfields or disenchanters, the whole group suffers and everyone can see it plainly.
a bad warrior is harder to spot. they probably just don’t do much damage while not bringing anything else to the table.
healing guards? easiest to play, you don’t do anything useful, heal mainly yourself and the group has to do all the work. I prefer a decent zerker guard with AH and purevoice. fights last shorter and I don’t have to worry about condi removal myself.

No, for sure, warrior is far more forgiving. You can even put it down for a month and pick it right back up. It’s hard to be a bad warrior, apart from those that should just stay at range when dodge is too complected for them. They can always roll a ranger.

Mesmer is about the middle of the road, so I disagree with you there too. Harder than warrior for sure. Not as hard as ele though.

Healing guards are somewhere between warrior and mesmer. You miss a dodge while up so close, you are going to feel it. Thinking guards do nothing useful only shows a lack of understanding about the class and party structures. I’d certainly take a cleric-guard in a heavy melee party rather than taking a ranger into such a party and w/o that guard. A pet is no substitute.

Oranisagu.3706

No, for sure, warrior is far more forgiving. You can even put it down for a month and pick it right back up. It’s hard to be a bad warrior, apart from those that should just stay at range when dodge is too complected for them. They can always roll a ranger.

Mesmer is about the middle of the road, so I disagree with you there too. Harder than warrior for sure. Not as hard as ele though.

Healing guards are somewhere between warrior and mesmer. You miss a dodge while up so close, you are going to feel it. Thinking guards do nothing useful only shows a lack of understanding about the class and party structures. I’d certainly take a cleric-guard in a heavy melee party rather than taking a ranger into such a party and w/o that guard. A pet is no substitute.

you can disagree with me as much as you want or claim I have no idea about group play – that’s your right of course, everybody can have his own opinion. just as I think you’re completely wrong, if you think a cleric guard would be necessary in any dungeon. and I think you’re incompetent if you even consider ranging an option for most fights. my mesmer is always in melee range and only leaves if he really needs some breathing space. my guard who has a higher base toughness as well as a lot of sustain always is in melee range, despite being zerker.
so you have your view, I have mine.

I’ve completed each dungeon and path in full (or at least mostly) zerker groups with much less hassle than in groups with self-proclaimed tanks. they slow groups down, can never outheal the additional incoming damage for the time it takes longer to finish a fight and they often have no concept of how useless they are. but there are good cleric guards out there, I’ve seen one or two in all my runs who really made a difference in the positive sense, if everybody played like those few people, I might change my mind. until then I’m still convinced a zerker guard can provide the same amount of aegis, condi removal and protection as a cleric guard, he just will do ~3x the damage at the same time.

ele is pretty easy to play actually, except if you go full zerker. the difficulty of ele lies in the control and thus in the hardware you use (mmo mouse or not). apart from that, the gameplay is rather straight forward and you only have to train your muscle memory to follow your rotations and know then to break out of your rota (for dodgeing etc).

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

rolling a monk now!

Posted by: Vhaegar.6954

Vhaegar.6954

Oh god my sides, I’ve lost the plot.

Daywolf.2630

you can disagree with me as much as you want or claim I have no idea about group play – that’s your right of course, everybody can have his own opinion. just as I think you’re completely wrong, if you think a cleric guard would be necessary in any dungeon. and I think you’re incompetent if you even consider ranging an option for most fights. my mesmer is always in melee range and only leaves if he really needs some breathing space. my guard who has a higher base toughness as well as a lot of sustain always is in melee range, despite being zerker.
so you have your view, I have mine.

The difference in our views is that you are talking in extremes and I am not, though you think I am. Example, I never used the word “necessary” as you presume I did, but somehow you heard that. Yet you claim guards with healing “don’t do anything useful”, which too is an extreme, though that one was in writing. Even in that, I can only guess that you take it that a guard that can heal is 100% heal and nothing else, since your post had a lot of extremes already. Not only does my guard heal very well in cleric armor (as many guards have a set of), but can dish out damage quite well. Healing + damage but with less group buffs, works for me.

Now if this is about extremes, then yes warrior is difficult, because the extreme of warrior is glass cannon. Glass cannon builds imo are fail in most cases, it’s a farming build for constant repetition.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I think Thief is the most overplayed class. All you need to do is equip 2 daggers and hit the 2 key. If you’re hitting any other keys, you’re def overplaying.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Daywolf.2630

I think Thief is the most overplayed class. All you need to do is equip 2 daggers and hit the 2 key. If you’re hitting any other keys, you’re def overplaying.

hah I wish. But not so simple with a D/D stealth thief. I have something like 7 stealth triggers and use all weapon skills on key remapping. It can be that way though, standing behind a world boss or champ when it’s concerned with some other target. Otherwise the keys can be pretty intense, especially in wvw. I have all classes, I’ve found that the thief takes the most concentration to play right. But then, I see less thieves being played on my server over recent months. But then in wvw, I see some other servers just exploding with thieves. My most played class, anyway.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Thief is one of the hardest classes to play well. S/P blind spam is a lot more effective in a lot of places than D/D skill 2.

| Lithia |

Daywolf.2630

Thief is one of the hardest classes to play well. S/P blind spam is a lot more effective in a lot of places than D/D skill 2.

Yep, I agree with that. That pistol is good for multi targets, D/D is more single target focused. 1v1 or 1v2 hard hits and good stuff! For more, that pistol works well. That’s why I carry a bow with D/D, make up some for lack of multi-target effectiveness. A lot of bows too, sigils for the situation.

Oranisagu.3706

The difference in our views is that you are talking in extremes and I am not, though you think I am. Example, I never used the word “necessary” as you presume I did, but somehow you heard that. Yet you claim guards with healing “don’t do anything useful”, which too is an extreme, though that one was in writing. Even in that, I can only guess that you take it that a guard that can heal is 100% heal and nothing else, since your post had a lot of extremes already. Not only does my guard heal very well in cleric armor (as many guards have a set of), but can dish out damage quite well. Healing + damage but with less group buffs, works for me.

Now if this is about extremes, then yes warrior is difficult, because the extreme of warrior is glass cannon. Glass cannon builds imo are fail in most cases, it’s a farming build for constant repetition.

great arguing technique. you can’t find an argument against mine, so you call my arguments extreme as a last resort to devalue them. my main point, that a cleric guard is useless because the dungeons are designed to not need it, still stands, you never brought any argument against it. first you started insulting me without bringing any arguments at all. then you stated:

I’d certainly take a cleric-guard in a heavy melee party rather than taking a ranger into such a party and w/o that guard. A pet is no substitute.

(on a sidenote: ranger has incredible 1v1 dps, which is key for dungeons, if played correctly as well as decent group support with frost spirit and the passive aoe precision.)
next thing you say is you don’t think a cleric guard is necessary. so what now? you would rather take someone into your group who is unnecessary than someone who can provide good dps and make the run go faster and better?

I guess the main difference in our views is you don’t strife for efficiency while I do. I’ve seen that a lot, some people prefer a casual CoE run in any path which takes 45 minutes with nobody ever going down over a 15 minute run where people are at their limits and maybe even wipe from time to time if someone makes a mistake.
if you like the slower runs, great for you. it doesn’t change the fact that it’s inefficient, which was all I ever claimed, because healing an already full party is useless.

Daywolf.2630

@Orin See, another extreme, it all revolves around dungeons now. You are working from a narrow view of the game, content and class builds. Meanwhile my guard can solo champs and some world bosses, yet you somehow think guards are useless. My guard is my main dungeon choice, not for glass cannon speed runs (which has been more or less nerfed out), but for regular mixed groups, and especially melee groups. No certain class or build is “necessary” only if you are a in a narrow view regarding the aspects of the game. Farm on, Bro!

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

What is most played will change patch to patch based on changes to the game and people shifting to fill the needs of new meta.

~ AoN ~

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

May have missed it, but I don’t even think I saw the word “Necromancer” in this thread… are they:
a) not played and forgotten about or,
b) so middle of the road they don’t get a [positive or negative] mention

Recently rolled a necro so have them on the brain….

Oranisagu.3706

May have missed it, but I don’t even think I saw the word “Necromancer” in this thread… are they:
a) not played and forgotten about or,
b) so middle of the road they don’t get a [positive or negative] mention

Recently rolled a necro so have them on the brain….

necros are pretty fun to play – some builds are incredibly strong in certain situations, though I always felt not adaptable enough to changing circumstances. could be lack of experience though, I only have around 100h or so on my necro.

@faywolf:
guards are one of the greatest classes, please stop spreading misinformation about my statements (again. still not found any real arguments?)
I’ve never said anything about guards in general, it was always about cleric guards in relation to groupplay, and logically by implication dungeons as no other pve content requires a group. I love my zerker guard, he’s incredibly useful in dungeons.
sorry if you thought I was talking about groups to do normal PVE champs or something similar, that thought is so absurd to me it didn’t even cross my mind. normal pve doesn’t need groups and thus I really don’t care what you’re wearing or what build or nonbuild you’re using, as you’re not pulling down a group of other players who might not want you to waste their time.
I’ve intentionally not touched pvp as the meta is completely different due to different objectives and we’re NOT in the pvp subforums – obviously a bunker guard works well in pvp, that’s a given.
the fact that I excluded pvp and general pve was pretty obvious, as were the reasons for that omission. I commented on a specific part of the game and you insult me because my point does not cover every area at the same time – narrow view.. yes, I think you should think about your own statements first in that regard.

since you can’t stop insulting me and still not have brought any real arguments (which I would love to have heard), I’ll leave this thread be, by now you have me convinced you can’t actually bring anything of value to the discussion except insults and deliberate misinterpretations.