Most annoying game mechanic

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

To me is the introduction of “Stealth” that was added to Rangers “Hunter’s Shot” in the July 23 patch, please make it activate when character is below a certain health and not on every single use, please adjust this. TY ANET.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

it’s only useless almost, the only people who need to do things while stealthed are thieves, god forbid them not to appear and disappear every single hit!

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

It is a tie for 2 issues for me:
1. An enemy runs past your cursor and the screen and you re-target to them. Extra annoyance point because often I clock on an opponent and as many as five skill #1 attacks go off before I re-target to the one I actually selected.

2. Skills the queue dodge after skill completion. Let dodge interrupt anything else I am doing!

Other annoyances happen, but none happen as often as the two mentioned above and both of the ones above can easily result in your defeat.

(edited by JohnLShannonhouse.1820)

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

Immobilize. I hate it so much.

Posted by: Sanctus.8350

Sanctus.8350

1) Downing in pvp
2) Talking to/Rezzing NPCs during combat when trying to loot. Takes forever to get out of the animation.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

You are stealth for 3 seconds—what a useless trait (PvE).
But actually the most annoying to me is still the jumping and the crappy camera —it is one of the worst , if not the worst camera mechanic in any video game and jumping ranks up there with the worst implementation in a video game ever.

Or almost forgot the targeting system—-2 thumbs down!

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

1. Stealth.
2. Walking backwards.
3. Limited angle of attack and the skill cancel/fizzle caused by that and target drop.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Knockbacks/knockdowns ALSO blocking you from using your skill for a certain amount of time. I don’t mind the interrupts but wth with the waiting to use the skill again? Get a few mobs/wvw noobs spam knocking you down and you have a hard time healing, etc…….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

1. Guild Menu (lack) tools…god forbid that I need to see who hasn’t logged in for 3 months or who hasn’t represented in the last two weeks…never mind sending a mass email to my guildies.

2. Which brings me to the mail system… I know they’re trying to prevent gold spam, but sheesh… 2 emails and I’m “supressed due to excessive emailing?” Seriously?

3. I can’t send myself anything….I have to run to my bank, switch characters, and then run to the bank….ad nauseum… Why can’t I just send myself that pick or bag that I need, or send my alt that lower level drop I just got?

I know, they’re not earth-shattering, but those are mine.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

1) continuous major CC
2) instagib from the particle blur

These are the two major PvE annoyances that arise occasionally with each attempt to make the game more interesting. I’m not particularly interested.

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

1. Zerker gear
2. rewards for MOAR dps

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Can’t lock pet can’t lock pet can’t lock pet can’t lock pet want to kill pet

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Cant stow pets (Ranger)
Defiant buff on bosses
Cant just do one fractal/cant just leave a fractal…

Posted by: OscarKitteh.7198

OscarKitteh.7198

1. Clicking on an npc while in combat or looting and having to manually close the window with my mouse instead of being able to press a key
2. Soulbound stuff. Account bound? Fine. But losing items because they’re useless on the char they’re soulbound to? Why? How does it affect the game for me to be able to do the simple act of transferring things to alts except to be annoying. Even the junk items are soulbound.
3. Mail spam? Trying to send each person on my dungeon team food and potions apparently is spamming. I get spam limits but at least make it larger than the max party size.
4. Heavy helms – so many decent light helms, a decent amount of decent medium.. heavy.. well, at least I’m grateful for the hide option

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

1. Log into game only to see some stupid chest. I have to pause what I’m doing to click on it. It has some stuff I want including gold but then they throw this stupid PvP stuff in there. That makes me have to click again to deposit it in a PvP locker. Then this other stuff I have to go to my bank and put it in there which wastes more of my time.
2. Log into game and see I have a mail. Again, pause what I’m doing, and click on it. It’s a stupid gift because I bought gems at some point. Again I have to take the time to click the button that adds the stupid gift to my inventory then I have to go to the stupid bank to put it in there. It totally wastes my time.

I could just delete that stuff I don’t want but I feel I need to complain about it instead. Someone has to stand up to Anet for all this ridicules stuff they keep forcing on me so I’ll be forced to buy new bank slots, new character slots, and then buy gold with gems so I can by bags to put on the new characters to make them mules.

The Burninator

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Dodge

I don’t mind that the game is so dependent on it, I mind that they implemented it in the most boring way possible. There really should have been a defensive skill slot with it’s own set of skills, similar to how the heal slot works.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Dodge

I don’t mind that the game is so dependent on it, I mind that they implemented it in the most boring way possible. There really should have been a defensive skill slot with it’s own set of skills, similar to how the heal slot works.

I like that idea. It would make it more interesting to have a choice of what type of defensive ability to use based on personal preference. I bet the actual skill chosen would be more visually appealing as well.

The Burninator

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

Loading screens. Give me a world without that (WoW showed how to do it about 10 years ago…)

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I have used one of my revive orbs for the first time. I really wonder what this is about. It takes forever to do, it was almost faster to waypoint and walk back.
After you are revived you have 1 health and cannot do anything, so I wonder what idiot came up with this brilliant idea.

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

This only concerns pve.

Infinite cc by various mobs to death. This must be the cheapest and most shallow mechanic in the game to make the game harder than it actually is.

Also the extremely long cc effects by mobs. A knockback will let you kiss the ground for like a good 3-4 secs. Loosing the ability to control your toon is always frustrating.

Easy fix that has been done before. One in which Anet loves to do….DR. Giver DR to cc effects. Yes….like WoW.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The most annoying game mechanic is “In-combat” and the slowdown that follows from it.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Cotheer.2806

Cotheer.2806

1) 354861351 different currencies/tokens/tickets/potatoes…. and no management system for them
2) No management system for skins either

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

people in my groups name colour, a nice suave dark blue … thats great, good luck finding that name tag in a pitched combat.

particle effects, omg my screen is about to explode….. and where the kitten is my mouse pointer so i can target something other than nearest target.

rally, thief in trouble thief runs into mobs, teleports around and stealths while downed, all the while working on a hamster, rallies off hamster. 10 people down, some lvl 3 guy dies, 10 people get up.

talking to npcs instead of looting, no i dont want to talk to the kittening npc i want to pick up mah 13w7z.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Knockdowns. I hate it. Because I just lay there for 2-3 seconds, on the dirt, collecting my thoughts while the risen that knocked me down, now has 50 of his buddies beating on me.

Edit: Ok, I just read the post above me. I take it back…

All 10000 of the different currencies annoy me and a poor way to manage them all.
And no management system for all the skins we have. I love the way the achievement skins are done. I would love it if we could have that for a lot more skins that we find

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

While it is not a game mechanic, the thing that annoys me the most is the camera.

On the second place, and this is a game mechanic, I hate that you cannot use stun-breakers until you finished bouncing around.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

2. Walking backwards.

This alone warrants it’s own thread.

Also, stealth. Hate it, always have.

(edited by Smith.1826)

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’m going to go with champ farming at Claw so it takes 3.5 days to complete it. New champion rewarding will make this worse (unless they plan on removing the champs from that event, which I hope they do and just replace them with really hard veterans).

And yes, that is a mechanic problem. If you build it (or build it wrong), they will come. Wasn’t there a problem like this with one of the temples? Where Skippington McVonwhitingthorpe III figured out how to not let it complete properly so they could farm?

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Stealth in general is an oddball mechanic and when it comes to competitive PvP, it really puts the other player at a disadvantage. Thieves love it, now rangers will start to love it (Im a ranger, and could had cared less for it), but classes who still don’t have it will complain. And I agree.

Same with Clones, the Clones themselves aren’t a issue. But the ability to exchange places with clones constantly is another terrible PvP mechanic. IMO

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Spammable stealth and Subject Alpha’s imprisonment crystals when they bug.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Oh wait, how could I forget!

Plush Griffon’s swimming ability was removed because he was deemed to powerful while swimming in WvW and sPvP and the keg brawl (Plush was awesome in keg brawl)!

Now, for those of us who built it at Christmas time and those of us (me) who ‘paid real money’ for him get to spend (incoming hyperbole) an extra 36 hours every day re-conjuring him every time we get out of the water! Sweet!

I haven’t quite figured out if an intern needed something to do, or someone ‘literally’ complained that their play experience was being threatened or their ‘immersion broken’ because he glided or ran in place while swimming.

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I will never be able to understand decided to add annoying spamable stealth to their game, and without at least any hard counter >.<

This is the worst stealth mechanic I’ve played from any game

Conncept.7638

I will never be able to understand decided to add annoying spamable stealth to their game, and without at least any hard counter >.<

ANet can deny it all they want but somebody important on the development team showed blatant favoritism when designing the thief.

• Every single other defensive mechanic in the game has a direct counter, they refused to give one to stealth. The only thing you can do is attempt to interrupt the stealth cast, all but one of which have no telegraph. And interrupts apply to any skill in the game anyway.
  • Warrior gets one marginally useful skill as it’s class mechanic? Okay. Thief gets one marginally useful skill as it’s class mechanic? We can’t have that! Let’s stack on two more and give them the games only resource system that fills without requiring any active play!

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

Loading screens. Give me a world without that (WoW showed how to do it about 10 years ago…)

ikr? what’s with that?

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

1. Stealth, of course.
2. That bit about walking on needle thin paths and your screen suddenly zooms in past your own body, strangely enough at exactly the moment you’re supposed to do that other annoying mechanic, jump (or fall to your death).

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Practically the only time I can ever reliably counter stealth is using greatsword knockback when a thief pops shadow refuge.

Every other time it’s just HURRRDURRR CANT TOUCH ME.

At least mesmer stealth is on 40/90s CD and doesn’t last an eternity.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

• Every single other defensive mechanic in the game has a direct counter, they refused to give one to stealth.

Stability, invulnerability?

Conncept.7638

• Every single other defensive mechanic in the game has a direct counter, they refused to give one to stealth.

Stability, invulnerability?

Stability it a boon, it can be stripped.

Invulnerability is still affected by conditions, also frequently affected by CC. And it also very commonly comes with it’s own drawback, like not being able to heal and use abilities.

Care to try again?

EDIT: Yeah just checked, there are only 9 invulnerability skills available to the professions.

• Two allow new conditions to be applied
  • Five are still vulnerable to CC
  • All nine are vulnerable to existing conditions

Amadan.9451

and invulnerability is not spammable.
you can swap place with a clone only with a skill on the main hand sword and it’s on cool down, short but predictable. all the other time you thought you were aiming a mesmer and hit a clone was due to stealth or autotargeting acting funny

Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Stealth probably number one. no class should be able to stealth that quickly.
Second would probably be knockdown/immobilize, or at least when thats all a guild zerg does.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Invulnerability is still affected by conditions, also frequently affected by CC. And it also very commonly comes with it’s own drawback, like not being able to heal and use abilities.

Care to try again?

Well to be fair, invulnerability pretty much make you invulnerable. And we were talking about counters here. Does CC remove invulnerability?

and invulnerability is not spammable.

We aren’t discussing if it’s spammable. We were discussing defensive measures that have no counter. Never mind the downsides of using it. Is there a counter to it?

Conncept.7638

Care to try again?

Well to be fair, invulnerability pretty much make you invulnerable. And we were talking about counters here. Does CC remove invulnerability?

Show me where it is specifically stated that ‘counter’ equals ‘direct removal’?

This is a counter, the strategy they just used is effectively nullified; resources, time, and a CD have been wasted; putting the opponent at a disadvantage and removing a strategic niche they were depending on. There is one single opportunity for such a gain against stealth, and that is interrupting the cast, which a counter common to nearly every ability in the game. Failing that, there is nothing you can do. Every other defensive mechanic provides for more counter play options as the fight continues, stealth closes all off the second it is successfully used.

I don’t expect abilities which say, ‘remove and prevent target from applying stealth’. That’s a counter yes, not the only way of doing one.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

When I think of a counter to invincibility, I think of something that directly “counters” the effects of being invulnerable. Boon removal was mentioned as a counter to stability for example. It directly counters the effects of having stability.

Amadan.9451

you made your point, but invulnerability is just pretty much a little more than a dodge roll with longer cooldown, not a mechanic considered broken by everyone.
that said, if you strip thieves of their stealth how they are supposed to do what they do in the game? what use would have this class?

Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

The problem is that has no counter to stealth.
An stealth player can choise when attack or run away, he just has all control of situation and has nothing that the foe can make.

May be burnig allow to couter stealth. If Anet really wants resolve the stealth problem.

(edited by JETWING.2759)

Conncept.7638

When I think of a counter to invincibility, I think of something that directly “counters” the effects of being invulnerable. Boon removal was mentioned as a counter to stability for example. It directly counters the effects of having stability.

It’s a soft counter, I’m neither asking for nor expecting a hard counter, just something you can actually do to respond to someone who successfully uses stealth.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I think it depends on the stealth skill. I don’t think mesmer’s stealth is OP, and I don’t think thieves SR is OP. SR also has a counter, AOE the circle, they can’t move out of it for 4 seconds or they lose stealth.

The other stealth skills are what is problematic. And they are very annoying.

The blatant and clear bias against condition damage specs in this game is what annoys me the most. I just want a viable and competitive PvE condition build.

Conncept.7638

Honestly I wonder if just removing Shadow’s Embrace might do it, that way thieves can actually be vulnerable to some sustained damage while in stealth or bring some condition removal, instead of getting virtual immunity as a freebie from stealth.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The blatant and clear bias against condition damage specs in this game is what annoys me the most. I just want a viable and competitive PvE condition build.

I agree. And I can see both sides of the argument. There’s the problem of mechanics having no hard counter, but also the problem of some mechanics having far too many counters. And condition damage is such a thing.

I’m not sure if that would solve the issue with stealth of course. But we definitely need a more level playing field.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The most annoying game mechanic for me is revive, talk, loot, grab bundles, and utilize objects all activated through the same keypress/click with a target decided by the game. The player knows what they want to do. The game doesn’t let them do it for internal game reasons and offers one other thing to do instead. This is clearly a sign of a failing game mechanic. Even if you’re offered a chance to revive, say, you can’t tell who you are reviving.

Posted by: Lethal Stranger.5093

Lethal Stranger.5093

1. How difficult it can be to get out of kittening combat
2. Downed State in sPvP
3. Immobilize
4. Listing fees

Necromancer/Engineer/Elementalist main
Plays every class though :>
The Dynasty Warriors [DW] – Far Shiverpeaks