Most rewarding/engaging class to level

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: vpy.6183

vpy.6183

Guys

I have been playing GW2 on and off in the last year.
I have all classes upto level 10 (lol..its no much i know)
I am just looking for a class

-> that is engaging (not Ranger like..where you just snooze with your pet doing all the work)
-> rewarding when you level with useful abilities getting available to you
-> lil challenging
-> I am not that much worried about the endgame content so I am ok with leveling slow
-> Should atleast make me to think for a second before engaging multiple mobs i.e if there is no chance of dying then all i am doing is clicking buttons without any thrill

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I’d go with engineer. You can play it braindead simple with either grenade or bomb kit if you want, or you can play around with the kits more to make the class much more engaging. And it has so many skills due to toolbelt skills and their kits.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Attunement dancing on an Ele can be engaging. Also, the low health pool means getting hit by anything can take a big chunk, so I do have to pay attention. For added spice, play the (non-meta) double dagger build.

My $0.02

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

There’s really no class because the pre-80 pve in this game is garbage and you can get through it auto attacking

Posted by: Nyel.1843

Nyel.1843

I’d say Mesmer. I always felt it’s the most difficult = most rewarding class in game.

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

As a lifelong Mesmer, I can tell you that it’s definately the most challenging and rewarding thing to play (if not incredibly frustrating to level).

The class is all about illusions, deception and denial of reality. It lends itself to some pretty interesting mechanics that feel great when you can pull them off, and rather punishing if you should make a mistake.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

As a lifelong Mesmer, I can tell you that it’s definately the most challenging and rewarding thing to play (if not incredibly frustrating to level).

The class is all about illusions, deception and denial of reality. It lends itself to some pretty interesting mechanics that feel great when you can pull them off, and rather punishing if you should make a mistake.

Deceiving mindless AI. So challenging.

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

A ranger can be rewarding to play depending on the playstyle. If you want to snooze and let the pet do everything, sure, you can do that, same goes for MM-Necro.

But you can also play very active and use every tool at your disposal.
Comes down to what you want and what not.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I seriously would NOT focus on leveling. This game doesn’t offer a very rewarding levelling experience, and its naturally fast to level, too. Even if you don’t rush at all, you’ll be hitting 80 in half month, at most. Unlike other MMORPGs, end game is not a far and away utopia at the end of an endless road of suffering. Its fast and easy to reach.

So unless you intend to delete your chars when hitting 80 (I know some people do it), it’s better if you think what you want to play in the end, not while leveling.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Rednaxela.9476

Rednaxela.9476

I’d recommend the Elementalist, it’s a very diverse class with a lot of fun builds.

Nietzschens – 80 Warr / Siri Golightly – 80 Ele / Siri Rhaegar – 80 Guardian
[SOL] Sanctum of Legends; ‘The Forgotten’ ~Eredon 4 Life~

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Ardid is right, don’t focus too much on pre-80, but … at the end of the day it is so much going to come down to you, OP.

I mean, I find mesmer a combination of frustrating and boring, but does that mean that mesmer “is” boring? Nope, just that it doesn’t work for me. Nothing wrong with the people who love that so much. (and I bet someone could say the exact same thing about my necro, which I <3 so much…)

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Thief has a great playstyle, I had lots of fun getting mine to 80, but I don’t know what the Daredevil’s like. My main used to be a warrior, and that had a lot of different styles available owing to the fact that the warrior has a huge selection of weapons to choose from. The Revenant/Herald is my favourite at the moment for 80, but it was also the absolute worst to level. I quickly became frustrated with the playstyle and boosted her to max level, but I still had to collect enough hero points to unlock Herald. Luckily Verdant Brink vomits points on you once you know where to look, and I had tokens from wvw to convert. Had it not been for that, I wouldn’t have bothered.

Since you have all classes at 10, it seems to me that you should keep playing them as you do now, and just wait for a favourite to emerge. There’s no “rush to 80”, the game doesn’t magically get better at max level. You are more effective in wvw sure, and fractals and raids are unlocked. Still, I’d just enjoy the world and go with the flow.

(edited by nosleepdemon.1368)

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Guys

I have been playing GW2 on and off in the last year.
I have all classes upto level 10 (lol..its no much i know)
I am just looking for a class

-> that is engaging (not Ranger like..where you just snooze with your pet doing all the work)
-> rewarding when you level with useful abilities getting available to you
-> lil challenging
-> I am not that much worried about the endgame content so I am ok with leveling slow
-> Should atleast make me to think for a second before engaging multiple mobs i.e if there is no chance of dying then all i am doing is clicking buttons without any thrill

(1) To be Fair, the Ranger (as every other class) is what you makes it to be. I agree that the standard Ranger with longbow, pet, and zerk gear is as boring as it comes. But I’ve had a good bit of fun last few months playing a sword/torch + shortbow, ranger with lots of traps. Sort of middle range skirmisher, that jumps in and out of melee constantly, while lining up aoes. Still easy though, because ranger has way too much burning damage :p

But the clue here is that most classes can play in almost any manner. Try all the weapons, find something you like, that gives you the kind of experience you want, and not just what people recommend, or what feels the strongest etc. Guardian for example traditionally was Greatsword + Staff for leveling. So try something else. I’m having fun with Sword and Scepter, while mixing up my off-hands. Hammer is a bit weird in Pve, but can be fun.

(2) I don’t know how to answer this, all classes uses the same system to get heropoints, and uses them to unlock skills and traits. Most of the personification of play style comes through traits, so I’d recommend siting down and reading through the trait lines before investing in them, to see what you really want. I do know that picking a wrong trait line can feel very punishing at start, until you gather enough hero points to unlock another one.

(3) + (5) While any class can be challenged depending on how you play it, I must admit that some classes can feel harder than others etc. The easiest are probably: Guardian, Warrior, Revenant, Ranger, Necromancer. So that leaves you with: Thief, Engineer, Elementalist, Mesmer.

This should also answer the 5th question, as the first 5 can usually just run into things, and worst case get out for free with some “get out of jail for free” cards. The last 4 usually don’t have that, or at least not in the same way. And usually require some planning and saving some important cooldowns for getting away.

(4) In both regards, play what you want. There isn’t that big a difference between leveling and end-game in this game, so find a class you enjoy playing, and rather just experiment with different ways of playing that class.

TLDR: Play Thief

It’s a class with zero passive defenses, lots of active defenses, so your survival is entirely dependent on yourself. You have to pay attention to things constantly, and no “snoring at the wheel” like some other classes can turn into at times/builds. Switch around weapons often, try new things constantly. Don’t stagnate, and Thief will never stagnate on you! It’s my favorite leveling class, and the most fun in combat.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”