Mount Debate

Mount Debate

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

It’s a waste of resources. Fix everything else then let’s talk mounts that are purely cosmetic and fun (who wouldn’t want to be a human though riding on top of a horse killing centaurs with a halberd?).

But hey, I’m down for mounts…in like maybe 2 years.

Mount Debate

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Mounts cannot have speed buffs for one reason: ANet considers character speed as part of their profession balancing.

Whether or not your class has a passive speed boost trait/signet, what do you give up for a set of speed/traveler runes, how long your swiftness lasts and the cooldowns on your swiftness-granting skills, and what weapons/utility traits you have to equip to gain access to swiftness – all of that is to dictate who gets a fight when and what they get to bring to the fight (yes, this is a WvW balancing issue); introducing mounts with a built-in 25% speed boost throws all of that out the window and it wouldn’t just be whipping up some models and adding animations, it would also require a rebalancing of every class.

and those classes will retain their signature speed buff while in combat.

But especially for WvW every class should have access to a 25% speed buff while out of combat.

It’s a waste of resources. Fix everything else then let’s talk mounts that are purely cosmetic and fun (who wouldn’t want to be a human though riding on top of a horse killing centaurs with a halberd?).

But hey, I’m down for mounts…in like maybe 2 years.

You can never fix everything in an MMO and games like this do not just have one group of people working on every aspect of the game.

Fix bugs… ok you don’t need 3D artists for that, you probably don’t even need animators. You do need coders but even then coders are split up into groups which specialize in parts of the game.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Mount Debate

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

It’s an absolute waste of resources. Add that to your list please.

how is this a waste of resources if they sell mounts in the cash shop? The Celestial Steed, World of Warcrafts first cash shop mount, earned them over 2 million dollars in the first four hours of release. GW2 does not have the amount of players that WoW did, but it should not take long for the first cash shop mount in GW2 to start earning a positive return.

Mounts could easily just be a 25% speed buff. This would give every class the option of having a passive 25% speed buff while out of combat. You get hit while on the mount and it knocks you off.

We currently have the riding broom. This functions perfectly as a mount, has the right restrictions, the only thing it lacks is a 25% speed buff.

So please explain how mounts would be a waste of resources when we already have one in the game?

WoW already HAD mounts in game. This game does not. The Pro-mount people NEVER want to admit that adding mounts is not as easy as a new weapon skin. There would be a whole lot of modeling, etc. to be put into the game.

Also, I NEVER WANT A SPEED BOOST OVER 33% – mounts with 100%? NO!!!! A.Net said that speed boosts, in game, were capped at 33%.

Mounts would just make this game chug even more, than it already does. Until more game engine optimizations are in game, mounts would really make this game unplayable.

I enjoy a world were there are no mounts. It is a nice breath of fresh air. There are plenty of games with mounts.

We already have a mount in the game. The Witches Broom works perfectly as a mount. The only thing it lacks is a 25% speed buff.

The only legitimate reason they should focus a bit on mounts is to earn revenue. Mounts are a big seller in MMOs, even if the mount only gives you a 25% speed buff over base speed.

Not every class has access to a trait or skill for a passive 25% speed buff, mounts would even this field out at least for players out of combat. I don’t think we need anything faster than 25%, any faster and it would be nearly impossible for some classes to catch an enemy player in WvW

The witches broom is not a true mount – it is like the costume brawls and it is called a toy. Try riding it outside of town – not that useful – it is like the kites, etc. just some fluff.

All professions have some type of speed buff, even if it is temporary. That is part of the balance in the game. You want to be a Mesmer and have a speed buff, well use that off-hand focus.

As I said, many times, the business model here is B2P – that means getting all the money they need by selling the game. The rest , like the CS, is just gravy on top. One doesn’t need ANYTHING from the CS to play the game. If the mounts were CS only, many players would start calling this game P2W!

Mount Debate

illgot.1056

how is this a waste of resources if they sell mounts in the cash shop? The Celestial Steed, World of Warcrafts first cash shop mount, earned them over 2 million dollars in the first four hours of release. GW2 does not have the amount of players that WoW did, but it should not take long for the first cash shop mount in GW2 to start earning a positive return.

Mounts could easily just be a 25% speed buff. This would give every class the option of having a passive 25% speed buff while out of combat. You get hit while on the mount and it knocks you off.

We currently have the riding broom. This functions perfectly as a mount, has the right restrictions, the only thing it lacks is a 25% speed buff.

So please explain how mounts would be a waste of resources when we already have one in the game?

WoW already HAD mounts in game. This game does not. The Pro-mount people NEVER want to admit that adding mounts is not as easy as a new weapon skin. There would be a whole lot of modeling, etc. to be put into the game.

Also, I NEVER WANT A SPEED BOOST OVER 33% – mounts with 100%? NO!!!! A.Net said that speed boosts, in game, were capped at 33%.

Mounts would just make this game chug even more, than it already does. Until more game engine optimizations are in game, mounts would really make this game unplayable.

I enjoy a world were there are no mounts. It is a nice breath of fresh air. There are plenty of games with mounts.

We already have a mount in the game. The Witches Broom works perfectly as a mount. The only thing it lacks is a 25% speed buff.

The only legitimate reason they should focus a bit on mounts is to earn revenue. Mounts are a big seller in MMOs, even if the mount only gives you a 25% speed buff over base speed.

Not every class has access to a trait or skill for a passive 25% speed buff, mounts would even this field out at least for players out of combat. I don’t think we need anything faster than 25%, any faster and it would be nearly impossible for some classes to catch an enemy player in WvW

The witches broom is not a true mount – it is like the costume brawls and it is called a toy. Try riding it outside of town – not that useful – it is like the kites, etc. just some fluff.

All professions have some type of speed buff, even if it is temporary. That is part of the balance in the game. You want to be a Mesmer and have a speed buff, well use that off-hand focus.

As I said, many times, the business model here is B2P – that means getting all the money they need by selling the game. The rest , like the CS, is just gravy on top. One doesn’t need ANYTHING from the CS to play the game. If the mounts were CS only, many players would start calling this game P2W!

The only feature the Witches Broom lacks is a speed buff.

Mount Debate

Dusty Moon.4382

it is not considered a mount. A.Net already stated that.

Once you put mounts in, it is the slippery slope. Then people want 100% speed buffs, then fighting off of mounts, etc. Mounts would complicate an already nice and flowing system. The whole combat mechanism would have to be rethought. Also the balance between all the professions would have to be redone. Mounts would mean less build difference when people are complaining that ‘Zerker rules all’ is the most common problem in the game.

It is similar to the A.Net EULA rule which states that anything that would give a player a competitive advantage, no matter how small, is not allowed. I think they may be using this rule for themselves also. Mounts would give an unfair advantage (in the pro-mount group’s thinking).

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

Mount Debate

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I would love mounts. Would really help new players like me, who don’t have the waypoints, with getting across the game’s giant maps, plus they would look cool and are pretty much a staple of most MMO’s these days.

I was actually quite surprised and disappointed to learn that GW2 has no mounts.

Solution to the pvp aspect: don’t allow them in WvW or PvP, or alternatively make it so you can’t attack people while mounted, and being attacked dismounts you, and give “calling” a mount a long (5 second) cast time

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Mount Debate

illgot.1056

it is not considered a mount. A.Net already stated that.

Once you put mounts in, it is the slippery slope. Then people want 100% speed buffs, then fighting off of mounts, etc. It is similar to the A.Net EULA rule which states that anything that would give a player a competitive advantage, no matter how small, is not allowed. I think they may be using this rule for themselves.

Other than the speed buff, what aspect of the riding the broom is not like a mount?

The animation is there, the dismount button is there, the inability to fight while mounted is there, you even get knocked off when you enter combat.

What feature, other than the lack of speed is the riding broom missing? Everything they need for creating mounts already exists in the game. They just need to tweak it a bit and create additional mounts for people to access in game and in the cash shop.

I don’t care about mounts for personal use, but I know Anet can make money if they start selling them in their cash shop.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Mount Debate

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Mounts cannot have speed buffs for one reason: ANet considers character speed as part of their profession balancing.

Whether or not your class has a passive speed boost trait/signet, what do you give up for a set of speed/traveler runes, how long your swiftness lasts and the cooldowns on your swiftness-granting skills, and what weapons/utility traits you have to equip to gain access to swiftness – all of that is to dictate who gets a fight when and what they get to bring to the fight (yes, this is a WvW balancing issue); introducing mounts with a built-in 25% speed boost throws all of that out the window and it wouldn’t just be whipping up some models and adding animations, it would also require a rebalancing of every class.

and those classes will retain their signature speed buff while in combat.

But especially for WvW every class should have access to a 25% speed buff while out of combat.

Well, I’m afraid what you think classes should have is completely irrelevant because it’s not what ANet thinks classes should have; they don’t want certain classes to have constant uptime on speed boosts outside of combat without sacrificing something, mounts with speed boosts is contrary to that design.

Until they change their mind on that design, mounts with speed boosts will not happen.

Mount Debate

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Someone might have already point this out. However, recently we sort of got mounts. The new kites in dry top give 5% boost to speed while holding it, and 33% boost while a sand storm is going on. If you get hit then you drop the kite (dismount).

Perhaps not the system everyone was looking for but we are starting to see the signs of mounts? (or are we?) I wish they would now add something similar to the broom and drill. Just a thought and an opinion. Nothing about facts here, but this is how I kind of seen the new mounts.

Thoughts?

Mount Debate

Posted by: Lodius.5392

Lodius.5392

Consider the Tequatl fight on a full map.

I think the hardcap of Sparkfly Fen is 120 people. It gets laggy enough when everyone is rushing to the batteries and there are new spawned mobs… could you imagine adding an additional 120 mounts to that?!

It would be flamed that people keep getting disconnected at that fight.

Mount Debate

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

To be blunt:

For Mounts

Customization.
Added feature that can be profited from
Faster land travel when waypoints are contested

Against Mounts

Swiftness.
Waypoints are strategically placed so that any contested points have alternatives that are close by.
Transport fee is a gold sink.
Added asset burden.
Seems to be against lore. Instant Transport is favored over riding animals.
Putting mounts in the shop will possibly give ‘free’ players reason to complain if the give a gameplay advantage over not purchasing a mount.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Mount Debate

Dusty Moon.4382

To be blunt:

For Mounts

Customization.

Against Mounts

Swiftness.
Waypoints are strategically placed so that any contested points have alternatives that are close by.
Added asset burden.
Putting mounts in the shop will possibly give ‘free’ players reason to complain if the give a gameplay advantage over not purchasing a mount.

‘Free’ players? we are all free players, you have to buy the game to play. The CS items should be ‘optional’ not needed and so far they are.

Mount Debate

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

To be blunt:

For Mounts

Customization.

Against Mounts

Swiftness.
Added asset burden.

‘Free’ players? we are all free players, you have to buy the game to play. The CS items should be ‘optional’ not needed and so far they are.

We are technically all paid players since ^ see above bold, hence the single quotes.
I agree with you, also. Players that don’t wish to spend for an additional speed boost will probably have reason to complain that store items give gameplay advantages.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.