Mount Idea

Mount Idea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rozalina.3196

Rozalina.3196

A way that mounts could work is to keep them simple like the magic carpet where we can just use them then if we’re in combat they disappear and come back when we’re out of combat. #Cosmetic Only. Let us ride on some creatures and that would be AWESOME.

(edited by Rozalina.3196)

Mount Idea

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Nah, it’s not worth it. Unless the waypoints were removed, I don’t see mounts being added ever.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Mount Idea

Posted by: Nyraxx The Necromancer.1728

Nyraxx The Necromancer.1728

there already exists some forms of mounts. I.e magic broom, magic carpet etc. They could expand on this and maybe just drop a flat speed boost for mounted characters.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

I’d rather they make the broom and carpet into gliders. That’d be way more fitting.
I see neither need nor function in mounts in this game at all..

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Mount Idea

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It’s my hope that ANet never provides a mount that removes the opportunity costs associated with build choices for speed. Cosmetic only, thanks.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Standen.3479

Standen.3479

For me personally, the waypoint system is far better than the standard mount way of things in mmorpgs. I can understand the cosmetic part but it doesn’t seem worth it considering the amount of work that would be needed to implement it into the game.

I’d rather they focused on new weapon/armour skins instead…

Mount Idea

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

For me personally, the waypoint system is far better than the standard mount way of things in mmorpgs. I can understand the cosmetic part but it doesn’t seem worth it considering the amount of work that would be needed to implement it into the game.

Technically its not alot of work since they already have the ingredients for plain mounts:

- Remove all 33% swiftness boons and 25% traits from the game.
- Add a new mount item in inventory and a button to enable/disable it (say, F5).
- Mount items could be carpets, horses, golems, charr bikes, whatever.
- Being on a mount gives 33% speed boost.
- Being attacked on a mount give you a “knocked off” debuff knocking you down for 2s (cannot be avoided by traits or skills) and crippling you for 10s (cannot be cleansed), while disabling the mount. This is to encourage getting off your mount before combat.
- A mount cannot be enabled in combat.

Done deal. We got mounts with current size limitations and as an extra bonus we have people running at normal speeds instead of perma swiftness/25% being required and meta. Movement in WvW for example would become a whole lot interesting, bringing in a risk/reward aspect.

Now, if you want mounted combat we are talking about alot of new content in terms of animations and coding, yes.

Sidenote: Waypoints would still exist with this.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Mount Idea

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

Sorry Bro, This is not “Riders of Icarus” based on Mount system.
nice free to play game by the way.

In Gw2 mount would be just useless, there are too many way point for you to teleport arround. Why would you need a mount? And most of class have already skills/traits to walk faster.

It just doesn’t fit into the game.

(edited by Seyiwaji.4082)

Mount Idea

Rozalina.3196

Mounts for me personally is cosmetic only. I don’t want them to take away from profession skills or waypoints because I totally agree waypoints ftw. It would be cool to be able to ride a beetle like the hylek in tangled depths though lol. I also agree that magic carpet would be sooooo great as a glider.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Mount Idea

tl;dr

Attachments:

Mount Idea

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Hopefully something like this

Attachments:

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Mount Idea

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

They kind of already have mounts, I think 2-3. Those weird items you can use to change your run animation. They just need more of those. Make one a horse and I’m sure people will be happy, just like the current ones have it not actually change your movement speed or abilities.

Also when you enable gliding, have an animation so a mount that’s an animal like a horse falls to it’s death, only for you to resummon it. lol

Mount Idea

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

They kind of already have mounts, I think 2-3. Those weird items you can use to change your run animation.

Everything that change your characters appearance could theoretically be classified as a “mount” and theres a whole lot more than 2-3. Whether you look like a golem or say a quaggan is irrelevant.

Mount Idea

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Yoda says: “Dead horse, beating much?”

Mount Idea

Posted by: Eldbrand Charging.8902

Eldbrand Charging.8902

NO and then NO NO NO

A way that mounts could work is by making them like gliders in the sense that we can unlock them through the mastery system. In the mastery we’d learn how to charm an animal to let us ride them and we’d also acquire the ability to run 25% faster like if we were using one of those profession signet that gives us speed. Don’t need anything special for them like a holding stable or anything like that because that is what the wardrobe is for. Once the mastery is complete we’d get a basic mount just like we got for gliders. If people want a fancy mount they’d have to buy them in the gem store. They would only work on land and not in combat.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Just add another thing to the Pact Commander’s Advanced Logistics mastery: “Learn to automatically pick up loot from fallen foes and gain a greater swiftness bonus for your party in cities” and increase movement speed by 25% on every other map. Hey, I can dream, right?

Mount Idea

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Mount Idea

tl;dr

+9.5

Mount Idea

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I hope people are still asking for mounts in four years.

Then four years after that….

SBI

Mount Idea

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t really get the whole mount hate thing. I never did. I thought mounts were some of the best things in other games I played, not for the utility but as another way to customize my character.

I miss mounts. I don’t see them ever coming to Guild Wars 2, but I still miss them.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I don’t really get the whole mount hate thing. I never did. I thought mounts were some of the best things in other games I played, not for the utility but as another way to customize my character.

I miss mounts. I don’t see them ever coming to Guild Wars 2, but I still miss them.

Exactly. Haters gonna hate.

Mount Idea

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t hate mounts. I think there are two problems with them:

1. There is little enough opportunity cost in GW2 character builds. Removing the OOC speed boost cost would mean even less. If I thought that people would settle for cosmetic only, that would be one thing. The chances of people accepting a lack of speed boost on mounts go right on past slim to none.
  2. GW2 persistent world PvE is largely based on the idea of having massive numbers of players congregating to do stuff. As it is, some players systems have difficulty handling the rendering of all those models. I’ve seen many complaints about lag and DC in such circumstances. Now add in a hundred mounts as people race to the next thing. This would not be an issue in other games where most open-world PvE is solo play. That’s not GW2, though.

I realize that a lot of people don’t give a crap about opportunity costs, or other players’ experience. I happen to.

Mount Idea

Rozalina.3196

Ya, I think it would actually be better if they made mounts more like the magic carpet or flying broom where you are on a white tiger or a beetle and then let us put them in the wardrobe. I think the magic carpet and the flying broom would be even more awesome as a glider as well. #Cosmetic ONLY

(edited by Rozalina.3196)

Mount Idea

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

If we ever get to the crystal desert, we’re going to need a mount to cross it. Probably a horse. With no name.

Mount Idea

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

Oh my god… NO, PLEASE NO

Not only do I think mounts are lame, like extremely lame, but at least don’t take away my lack of need for them.

I prefer running on foot thanks, you can all ride your weird kitten bears, koalas and moas or what have you.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Mount Idea

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

The mounts shouldn’t have a mastery line. Just another thing I would have to grind . The problem that I see is that it has no utilty. If it had perks like perma superspeed or faster and be able to use ranged weapons I can see it being an asset. I just wanna do magic carpet drivebies with my p/p theif.

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

(edited by cyberzombie.7348)

Mount Idea

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

All the people crying for mounts and want just a stat boost for there chars to sit on.

Newsflash, all mounts in almost all games so far are bullkitten because they are just that, a stat boost your character sits on.
All those “mounts” allow you to move in utter ridiculous ways you can justify with a flying magic carpet but not with a horse or other animals, they simple can’t walk backwards or do sidesteps at a considerable speed.

In the context of battle, a Mount is used to have the speed added to you attack power, be higher up position also grants advantages to range and gives a better angle to attack down.
The only game I know of who does that right so far is “Mount and Blade” and Guild Wars 2.

Yes right, we actually have “mounts” in the game that actually move right and do what mounts are supposed to do.

You know, the Mordrem Riders/Cavaliers:
!https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/d/d3/Veteran_Mordrem_Flamerider.jpg!

look at there movements, they turn slowly, can’t walk backward or to the side, they only try to point at you and charge like a real battle mount.
They give the rider more overall power, they trample and push away things in there path.

So yeah, if you ask for mounts, ask for real mounts please, not just more speed and higher stats for your characters.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I don’t hate mounts. I think there are two problems with them:

1. There is little enough opportunity cost in GW2 character builds. Removing the OOC speed boost cost would mean even less. If I thought that people would settle for cosmetic only, that would be one thing. The chances of people accepting a lack of speed boost on mounts go right on past slim to none.
  2. GW2 persistent world PvE is largely based on the idea of having massive numbers of players congregating to do stuff. As it is, some players systems have difficulty handling the rendering of all those models. I’ve seen many complaints about lag and DC in such circumstances. Now add in a hundred mounts as people race to the next thing. This would not be an issue in other games where most open-world PvE is solo play. That’s not GW2, though.

I realize that a lot of people don’t give a crap about opportunity costs, or other players’ experience. I happen to.

Just perfectly said, IndigoSundown.

The day mounts don’t destroy the oportunity cost balance for exploring/speed builds, and don’t add stress to the system (And don’t interfere with the view, I must add), then I’ll welcome them.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Mount Idea

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

It’s my hope that ANet never provides a mount that removes the opportunity costs associated with build choices for speed. Cosmetic only, thanks.

They could perhaps come to a solution that’s agreeable for both sides. In WoW, they have mounts but you can only summon them out of combat.

So here’s an idea for starters:

Mounts grant +50% movement speed out of combat and may only be summoned out of combat. Upon entering combat, the speed boost drops to +25%.

So if you have a movement speed trait or access to swiftness, you aren’t gaining anything by staying on the mount in combat. But if you’re just passing through and you didn’t trait for foot speed, staying on the mount is the better option.

My thinking is to minimize/eliminate any potential combat advantages from mounts, instead using them to increase convenience and travel speed out of combat. This would also free up players who don’t necessarily need the foot speed in combat to trait as they like instead of feeling compelled to take speed traits due to the overall time reduction to the leveling process.

Mounts should probably be restricted in PvP, as foot speed out of combat is a factor in capping/decapping objectives, etc. But I wouldn’t rule out future maps that are designed to include mounts.

Mount Idea

AliamRationem.5172

Also, I wanted to add that I think mounts would look pretty silly at base speed and nobody would use them if their character moves faster on foot (traits, swiftness).

Mount Idea

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

They could perhaps come to a solution that’s agreeable for both sides. In WoW, they have mounts but you can only summon them out of combat.

Mounts grant +50% movement speed out of combat and may only be summoned out of combat. Upon entering combat, the speed boost drops to +25%.

So if you have a movement speed trait or access to swiftness, you aren’t gaining anything by staying on the mount in combat. But if you’re just passing through and you didn’t trait for foot speed, staying on the mount is the better option.

My thinking is to minimize/eliminate any potential combat advantages from mounts, instead using them to increase convenience and travel speed out of combat. This would also free up players who don’t necessarily need the foot speed in combat to trait as they like instead of feeling compelled to take speed traits due to the overall time reduction to the leveling process.

Mounts should probably be restricted in PvP, as foot speed out of combat is a factor in capping/decapping objectives, etc. But I wouldn’t rule out future maps that are designed to include mounts.

Im not sure how having mounts give a speed boost that is unavailable to non mount users, without a build opportunity cost, is supposed to be palatable to those who share Indigo’s view.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

~Guys just RP mounting your foots and ride the waypoints….

Also, I wanted to add that I think mounts would look pretty silly at base speed and nobody would use them if their character moves faster on foot (traits, swiftness).

Yeah pretty much
WIth almost all classes having 33% passive option and guardian long duration speed boon, we have several waypoints per map…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Mount Idea

AliamRationem.5172

Im not sure how having mounts give a speed boost that is unavailable to non mount users, without a build opportunity cost, is supposed to be palatable to those who share Indigo’s view.

My thought was that separating the boost so that it exists only outside of combat would be an acceptable compromise. Currently, boons like swiftness and passive speed boosts via traits work both in and out of combat (and would continue to do so). I figured this would make those combat-oriented features while the mounts would become the out-of-combat travel option.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

My thought was that separating the boost so that it exists only outside of combat would be an acceptable compromise. Currently, boons like swiftness and passive speed boosts via traits work both in and out of combat (and would continue to do so). I figured this would make those combat-oriented features while the mounts would become the out-of-combat travel option.

So mount users would get a 50% speed boost, out of combat, without a build pportunity cost, and a 25% in combat boost without a build opportunity cost while non mounted characters would have to spend traits, utilities, and/or sigil/rune slots?

Mount Idea

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

I support mounts if maps follow the pattern of waypoints not always being available.

Little red Lioka

Mount Idea

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

An Asura riding a Charr is the only kind of mount this game needs.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

- Being on a mount gives 33% speed boost.
- Being attacked on a mount give you a “knocked off” debuff knocking you down for 2s (cannot be avoided by traits or skills) and crippling you for 10s (cannot be cleansed), while disabling the mount. This is to encourage getting off your mount before combat.
- A mount cannot be enabled in combat.

Done deal. We got mounts with current size limitations and as an extra bonus we have people running at normal speeds instead of perma swiftness/25% being required and meta. Movement in WvW for example would become a whole lot interesting, bringing in a risk/reward aspect.

The removal of in-combat swiftness and speed would imbalance ranged vs melee combat.

The removal of the speed buff OOC would make it take 25-33 percent longer for a player to get from one place to another without a mount and with a mount, they’d die to pretty much anyone who attacked them on the way because of the penalties for being attacked while using the mount.

This would basically trash the combat system and make WvW a tedious frustration for no purpose.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The game balance DOES NOT COVER ONLY COMBAT. It includes detailed exploration, intelligent skipping (Even zerg kiting!) and basic travel too. Mounts offering any movement boost equal or superior to the 25% present on traits and runes destroy the cost oportunity balance on builds, even if it only works out of combat. Mounts become automatically mandatory, and any permaswiftness build lose its place ipso facto.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Mount Idea

IndigoSundown.5419

Opportunity cost in relation to character builds happens when players have to choose between taking one desirable option and another desirable option. “Freeing up players” so they don’t have to trait, etc. for speed would remove an opportunity cost from the build system.

While there may be some people who build for speed to have in combat, most build for speed to get where they’re going faster and avoid getting bogged down with fighting mobs. Players run past or through mobs constantly unless they’re looking to fight them. Speed boosts enable that. There is currently an opportunity cost for that ability. Your proposal would remove that cost.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

My secret dream is a build which focuses solely on speed so I could zip around like the Flash, or at least ten times faster than a centaur. It would, of course, have no toughness or attack power. You would have to use your speed to avoid or dodge attacks.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

yeah…mounts are just such nice addition, they don’t even need to have some speed boost, they are just fun to have!
My man I again agree with you, but I don’t think we will ever get mounts….unless they make more carpets haha xD

Mount Idea

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

If we ever get to the crystal desert, we’re going to need a mount to cross it. Probably a horse. With no name.

In GW1, we used our feet as mounts in the Crystal Desert.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

Purely cosmetic mounts:
“Magic Carpet”

“working” battle mount, including right movement, stat boost for rider, skills for rider only usable on the mount and so on,
“Mordrem Guard Mount”
“Mordrem Guard Lancer”

The only thing that is “missing” is a big chunk of stat/speed boost you can put between your legs instead of whatever else that has nothing to do with “mounts” besides looking like something you can sit on.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The game balance DOES NOT COVER ONLY COMBAT. It includes detailed exploration, intelligent skipping (Even zerg kiting!) and basic travel too. Mounts offering any movement boost equal or superior to the 25% present on traits and runes destroy the cost oportunity balance on builds, even if it only works out of combat. Mounts become automatically mandatory, and any permaswiftness build lose its place ipso facto.

As much as I don’t like how uneven classes are in terms of PvE speed (they should have some equivalence, but not necessarily in PvP/WvW), I’m not sure I could fully support a +25% or +33% mount idea.

If mounts/speed boosts, attainable in-game by all players, became a thing, I would think it should be limited to +15%. It’s faster than the baseline, and it fills in a rather irritating gap between 0, 25, and 33. Also, mount bonus goes poof in combat in the same manner as toys and costumes. As a mastery bonus, that seems well enough.

So far as the screen clutter issue that’s been mentioned (in every mount thread merged into the giant cluster that this one oddly hasn’t yet…), I could see a few approaches via Toy items or transformation tonics. Transformations replace the character model and dispel in combat, so it’s generally zero-sum. Toys, if limited to small alterations like the carpet or riding broom, could also be an acceptable. No need to add moas/dolyaks/etc to the mix. And of course, they don’t work or have no extra competitive modes.

If it’s just a style issue, I don’t support mounts for the game in general. It’s screen clutter. Maybe the occasional fun toy item to ride around on, but not worth sinking development time into.

If it’s a speed issue, there are other ways to handle it without ‘mounts.’ Using the mastery system, it could be possible to add a zone/regional mastery that unlocks upon completion of a zone/region that can be used to gain a non-combat speed bonus. It applies to help players get around in PvE, doesn’t apply to fractal/raid/pvp/wvw contexts, and still permits travel speed boons in combat. It’s also a reward for fully exploring and uses the game’s existing systems.

Or, and this would require some extra work on Revenant, having a generic, elite signet-type ability (but not actually a Signet, for trait reasons) that parallels Facet of Nature. It gives a speed boost, and, when used, has a useful effect for jumping into combat. It becomes a build decision, but one that is available to everyone.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mount Idea

Rozalina.3196

Ya, I agree that mounts shouldn’t be anything special. It shouldn’t effect professions’ skills or traits. Mounts in gw2 should be just like tonics or the magic carpet where we use them to goof around with nothing more. It’d just be cool to use a tonic and my character is all of a sudden riding a white tiger or a dolyak. It’d be cool if guild emblems were on them somehow too. #Cosmetic ONLY

Mount Idea

AliamRationem.5172

So mount users would get a 50% speed boost, out of combat, without a build pportunity cost, and a 25% in combat boost without a build opportunity cost while non mounted characters would have to spend traits, utilities, and/or sigil/rune slots?

Yes and no. 50% speedboost for out-of-combat travel. 25% speed boost in-combat, but the only time you could be in combat and mounted is if you entered combat on a mount. I’m not proposing mounted combat at this time. So there should be no combat advantage to this proposal whatsoever. Also, I suggest restricting mounts to PvE, at least until any potential impact on PvP gameplay could be assessed.

Basically the same way mounts work in WoW. It’s for getting around more quickly out of combat. That’s all. If you need more speed in combat, you would still need to trait for it or use sigils/runes. The 25% in combat boost is simply so that every monster you pass doesn’t slow you down to base foot speed (that would be counterproductive).

Mount Idea

AliamRationem.5172

Opportunity cost in relation to character builds happens when players have to choose between taking one desirable option and another desirable option. “Freeing up players” so they don’t have to trait, etc. for speed would remove an opportunity cost from the build system.

While there may be some people who build for speed to have in combat, most build for speed to get where they’re going faster and avoid getting bogged down with fighting mobs. Players run past or through mobs constantly unless they’re looking to fight them. Speed boosts enable that. There is currently an opportunity cost for that ability. Your proposal would remove that cost.

Is that a bad thing? It seems to me that traits are most relevant in combat. I mean, you can just swap them at will outside of combat, right? So what is a trait for out-of-combat swiftness but an extra button to push for no reason? These are not permanent choices we make.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Still a solid no.

Gone to Reddit.

Mount Idea

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

You seriously want anet to develop mounts when we get 5 new armor sets a year? Go back to your world boss train please.

Mount Idea

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

more loading pixels gg no mounts thats what wp and swiftness is for

Mount Idea

AliamRationem.5172

Easy, guys. I’m pretty new to GW2. Like I said, I came over from WoW where mounts have been a thing since before GW1 came along! I apologize if the very idea of mounts in GW2 is abhorrent to you here. I’m honestly confused by the reaction.

As for going back to my world boss train? I think I did my first Teq run a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea what was going on, the rewards didn’t seem very good for the time invested, and so I never went back! I think I also randomly stumbled across the shatterer once while doing map completion and some other ice dragon thing that I still don’t know the name of. That’s about the extent of my world boss experience!

Like I said, I just figured faster movement outside of combat is pretty much an all around good thing. But I guess I was wrong!