Mounting animation

Mounting animation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dravyn.4671

Dravyn.4671

Do you think there will be an animation when you mount? I hate when you summon your mount and it just appears beneath you (SWTOR, Rift, WoW). Games like ESO, BDO, LOTRO, etc all have a quick mount/dismount animation and I feel it really adds to immersion.

Any one know yet?

Mounting animation

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Do you think there will be an animation when you mount? I hate when you summon your mount and it just appears beneath you (SWTOR, Rift, WoW). Games like ESO, BDO, LOTRO, etc all have a quick mount/dismount animation and I feel it really adds to immersion.

Any one know yet?

Yep, WoodenPotato shown it. Its a nice realistic POOFFF! … and there you go.

Mounting animation

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

I’m hoping mounts have a turn rate. The instant turning in WoW and other MMO’s drive me crazy.

I absolutely looooooved driving around in the motorcycles in Firefall, it was way more fun than you could ever expect for just going around in a mount.

Mounting animation

Dravyn.4671

Any one know yet?

Ugh, that just screams lazy to me

Mounting animation

Dravyn.4671

I’m hoping mounts have a turn rate. The instant turning in WoW and other MMO’s drive me crazy.

I absolutely looooooved driving around in the motorcycles in Firefall, it was way more fun than you could ever expect for just going around in a mount.

They do, you can see the guy running circles around Bog Otter here in this clip

https://youtu.be/o3TWfaliNk4?t=45s

There’s no mounting animation, but there is a quick summoning animation, which i suppose is better than mounts just appearing beneath you.

Mounting animation

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Any one know yet?

As one of my favorite forum poster’s signature states: Be careful what you ask for, Anet just might give it to you.

People demanded mounts, Anet gave mounts. I’m not at all surprised that mounts aren’t delivered as people expected.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounting animation

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Any one know yet?

Having a cast time for mount/dismount isn’t compatible with how fast the combat in this game works. They event demonstrated that each mount has a “dive” skill that is used an opening attack when engaging enemies, as a way to compensate for them not having their own attack skills.

Consider how quickly people get frustrated in this game with anything that takes more then 2 seconds to channel…. and then go ape kitten if it also roots you while casting.

As for the quote that came before it. They don’t want to do “quick” mounts and dismounts, because the mounts are not independent entities…… otherwise it just becomes channeling a skill that gets you killed at the worst possible moment.

They’re effectively transform mechanics that are used all over the rest of the game, and benefits in the fact that its using the player’s entity to track through space. Going the other route of making mounts their own entity introduces several steps that WILL cause problems if the server gets uncooperative for any reason. Remember all the problem Gliding had at launch, when it was server authoritative? All the problems this game historically has with “rooted” skills and responsiveness? Or even server driven movement skills like Zeypherite aspects, and some of the old SAB mechanics?