Mounts

Mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Mounts is fluff. Anet has better things to do with their time, energy, and resources.
Fluff is something you do when everything else is going resonably well. Anet has better things to focus on than mounts.

Still, fluff is what is paying this game it seems.
The point is if how to share the profits between fluff and playable content.
If more fluff leads just to more fluff and minor updates, that can be a problem, but fluff is needed as long as they keep going with the microtransaction model.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Mounts

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I hate looking at silly plushy backpacks. Are they needed? Hardly. Do they fit in with “lore”? Please.

And yet, upon hearing they were to be added to the game, I didn’t storm the forums to spew forth drama and hyperobole at those who were in favor of them.

Just sayin’.

Mounts

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I hate looking at silly plushy backpacks. Are they needed? Hardly. Do they fit in with “lore”? Please.

And yet, upon hearing they were to be added to the game, I didn’t storm the forums to spew forth drama and hyperobole at those who were in favor of them.

Just sayin’.

Yet you could have voiced your opinion of plushy backpacks on the forums if you wanted to. Just like the people that would rather not see mounts can do so here.

Just sayin’

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Mounts

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Just sayin’.

I would argue that mounts have the potential to be far more obtrusive than backpacks ever were. It’s sort of like noise pollution, or graffiti. The graffiti might be on someone else’s building, but seeing it slathered all over the city bothers people all the same.

And that’s just addressing the cosmetic argument. There’s still the practical side of the argument which as been discussed to death. Mounts are completely unnecessary to the mechanics and gameplay of this game. In fact they would harm the balance of environment size and design by trivializing travel time and geographic obstacles.

Mounts

Posted by: Lord Krilik.3692

Lord Krilik.3692

The thing is, most of these topics don’t ask for purely cosmetic mounts. They ask for the Waypoints to be taken out and mounts put in to replace the fast travel we have.

It’s certainly possible we may see a reduction in waypoints thanks to the current revelation that they are connected to the leylines.

We know that Taimi thinks she can tune them up to stop them being targeted by the vines, but this doesn’t mean she will succeed. The powers that rule Tyria may also feel that a “better to be safe than sorry” approach is needed and therefore may reduce the number of active waypoints.

This may then pave the way for mounts, although making mounts feel mandatory may also be a bad way to go. That said, some areas certainly are overpopulated with waypoints. Just look at how many are next to Ossencrest Climb, in the top left corner of Snowden Drifts!

Link: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c3/Snowden_Drifts_map.jpg

Mounts

minbariguy.7504

Just sayin’.

Yet you could have voiced your opinion of plushy backpacks on the forums if you wanted to. Just like the people that would rather not see mounts can do so here.

Just sayin’

Yes, you’re right, I could have. However, I found that it wasn’t such a big deal that I had to go and try to ruin other people’s fun when it really didn’t affect me all that much. I simply avert my eyes and apply tolerance.

Problem solved.

Mounts

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Just sayin’.

I would argue that mounts have the potential to be far more obtrusive than backpacks ever were. It’s sort of like noise pollution, or graffiti. The graffiti might be on someone else’s building, but seeing it slathered all over the city bothers people all the same.

And that’s just addressing the cosmetic argument. There’s still the practical side of the argument which as been discussed to death. Mounts are completely unnecessary to the mechanics and gameplay of this game. In fact they would harm the balance of environment size and design by trivializing travel time and geographic obstacles.

Obtrusive visual pollution? Like all of the unrelenting, unavoidable and mostly unnecessary particle effects in game? Effects that DO hinder visibility and frame rate for many, many people? TBH I would trade mounts off gladly for a few particle sliders.

Visual pollution. I consider most Legendary weapons, nearly all backpacks, particle effect harvest tools, super saiyen hair and glowie, on fire armor as visual pollution. I don’t ask for those to be removed. I can accept that people want and like things I find to be jarring and just plain ugly. I don’t have to use any of them.

And how would mount speed change anything if kept to the % of speed already perma maintained by some classes in game?

I don’t care whether mounts ever get in game. I just really hate spurious arguments.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Mounts

minbariguy.7504

I see what you’re saying, but in the end it all kind of boils down to whether or not we have the right to impose what other players choose to display simply because we don’t want to look at it. I do not think that we should have (or even desire) that kind of control over someone else’s actions. When the advertisments for GW2 said “Play Your Way”, I’m pretty sure they meant you play your way, not that everyone else had to play your way, too! (that was a general “you”, not you specifically, Xenon!)

As for the “they aren’t needed” argument, it seems that the argument being made (over and over and over. And over. ) is that mounts aren’t needed because they provide the same function as waypoints. Except that is not true. A mount provides an entirely different game experience. They way you travel is different, the way you look while you’re traveling is different, the sense of immersion you experience is different, and that doesn’t even take into account people’s fondness for collecting new shinies.

If all people wanted was to get from point A to point B, then sure, waypoints fulfill that function. But that isn’t all that people want from a mount. If it were, they’d be happy with the existing waypoints.

Having an opinion that mounts are not “needed” is a perfectly valid opinion. Having the opinion that other people shouldn’t have anything you don’t want to see is, I think, a lot more of a gray area. And it’s one that we should be extremely careful with.

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

Mounts

JustTrogdor.7892

Just sayin’.

Just sayin’

Yes, you’re right, I could have. However, I found that it wasn’t such a big deal that I had to go and try to ruin other people’s fun when it really didn’t affect me all that much. I simply avert my eyes and apply tolerance.

Problem solved.

Ahh but you see, I feel, and it is my opinion that seeing a bunch of players all over my screen on mounts would affect me. To me it would be a big deal because the addition of mounts would be very visually unappealing to me. I don’t care to see them so I am voicing my opinion in this thread to say so. It has nothing to do with trying to “ruin other people’s fun” but everything to do with my personal preference.

I agree, I don’t care for plushy backpacks either, but they are already in game and not much I can do about it. However, that doesn’t mean they should add more things I don’t like just because one annoyance already exists.

The Burninator

Mounts

Posted by: Leo.2641

Leo.2641

Yes to Mount
I’m tired of seeing NPC running around across Tyria, and they get to the main event and die. If only they had a horse to save their energy for the battle.

Mounts

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Yes to Mount
I’m tired of seeing NPC running around across Tyria, and they get to the main event and die. If only they had a horse to save their energy for the battle.

LOL, pixels don’t get tired or exert energy through movement.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Mounts

Xenon.4537

For those who want a practical explanation against mounts, here goes…

If you take a look at my wonderful illustration, you will see that there is point A and point B separated by 100 meters of space. Lets say that I can run from point A to point B on foot in 60 seconds. Lets say I apply swiftness to myself to get there 33% faster. That means it will only take 40.2 seconds instead of 60. Here is the maths:

60 * 0.33 = 19.8
60 – 19.8 = 40.2

So what if we had mounts that gave permaswiftness? That means everyone could get from point A to B at the faster speed. Why is this bad?

Because it means having a speed buff reduces the effective size of the world. In order for the world to feel large, it would need to be artificially inflated. If everyone had permaswiftness, the world would need to be inflated by 33% to compensate. In essence when you make the players move faster, it makes the world in which they move smaller.

But wait, everyone already has permaswiftness so whats the big deal? Except that they don’t. Some classes have to go out of their way to get higher swiftness uptime, and they still don’t get permaswiftness in some cases.

Even if everyone did have permaswiftness, ask yourself then whats the point of mounts? If everyone already moves 33% faster all the time, why do we need mounts? Because mounts could go faster than 33% maybe? Oh okay now we’re getting in to broken gameplay territory. I’m sure I don’t need to explain why people don’t want to feel forced to get a 50%+ speed mount just to keep up with the crowd. And if you want flying mounts… HAHAHAHAHA…. No.

There’s even another philosophical tangent we could go off on: If everyone has permaswiftness, why do we even need the swiftness buff in the first place? Why not make that the default run speed? The answer is once again: environmental design. Space is a very real thing that takes much care and consideration to design properly. You might not realize it but Anet takes extremely great care in designing every environment so that you move through it at a certain speed with a certain flow. In fact in PvP the amount of time it takes you to run from near to far point is insanely important from a game design standpoint. If red team can get there 1 or 2 seconds before blue just because the map is skewed a few inches, it ruins everything.

Attachments:

Mounts

Xenon.4537

For the record, I’m not adamant against cosmetic mounts. I don’t like them, but I wouldn’t lose my mind if they had some. The problem is when people ask for a mount, they almost always follow up with that small voice…

“Please sir, may I have a small speed buff?”

Followed up by more speed buffs, followed by crafting even better mounts that have more armor and run faster, followed by this that and the other until it snowballs into world of warcraft GIGANTIC mammoth mount with 3 vendors riding shotgun and runs 210% faster than pedestrians. And then you see a guild of kittens parking those giant monstrosities on top of the trading post so you cant see a thing. Oh and in order for me to keep up with those people I have to grind 9001 hours getting thousands of gold and mats for something the game didn’t need in the first place because the environment is already designed in a very specific way to work without mounts.

Mounts

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

We need Guild battles and many other things that would actually make the game better- not mounts. It would be like “dang they spent all their time designing mounts, when we could have had more things to improve the game, but no instead all we get are mounts.”

if there were mounts you would only be able to use them in pve and nothing else. not WvW not dungeons not eotm or PvP. but anet ignores everything except pve so whatever, but then they have permission to take out swiftness, and when you die since they would remove every wp in the game, since because of mounts you wouldn’t need them at all- youd have to restart the zone and run alllll the way back- yeah i see mounts as a positive thing.

(edited by SnowHawk.3615)

Mounts

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

For the record, I’m not adamant against cosmetic mounts. I don’t like them, but I wouldn’t lose my mind if they had some. The problem is when people ask for a mount, they almost always follow up with that small voice…

“Please sir, may I have a small speed buff?”

Followed up by more speed buffs, followed by crafting even better mounts that have more armor and run faster, followed by this that and the other until it snowballs into world of warcraft GIGANTIC mammoth mount with 3 vendors riding shotgun and runs 210% faster than pedestrians. And then you see a guild of kittens parking those giant monstrosities on top of the trading post so you cant see a thing. Oh and in order for me to keep up with those people I have to grind 9001 hours getting thousands of gold and mats for something the game didn’t need in the first place because the environment is already designed in a very specific way to work without mounts.

>_> I still say that mammoth was the best purchase I ever made in WoW.

Thanks for the game design perspective, Xenon. It does mean that we have a lot of questions to ask if there are ever going to be, or not be, mounts.

Though, I did see someone’s tunneling last night. I got a giggle out of it and almost, almost considered getting one.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mounts

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

-1000000 here.

Remove waypoints…try running from Dry Top all the way to Orr then back to Frostforge. Even with 33% boost that would take forever. There have been MMOs that didn’t allow fast travel points. It was interesting but really annoying when it would take you 2-4 hours in game to get to your next destination. That’s an extreme timesink we don’t need. GW’s waypoint options are quick efficient and allow you to spend your game time gaming. So big NO here. Good hunting.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Mounts

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Backpacks already existed, so “plushy” backpacks are like weapon or armor skins and thus are a very poor analogy to Mounts.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Mounts

Xenon.4537

I really think the only reason Anet is toying with removing waypoints is because it would get our attention. Mission successful. They wanted to get people worried and speculating about a topic that actually feels like it means something. The ability to travel is one of the most tangible things in the game. Just like destroying Lions Arch and rebuilding it, so too will the waypoint system be compromised and fixed later. It’s just a plot device they are using to affect us. It has nothing to do with adding mounts.

Mounts

Rauderi.8706

I really think the only reason Anet is toying with removing waypoints is because it would get our attention. Mission successful. They wanted to get people worried and speculating about a topic that actually feels like it means something. The ability to travel is one of the most tangible things in the game. Just like destroying Lions Arch and rebuilding it, so too will the waypoint system be compromised and fixed later. It’s just a plot device they are using to affect us. It has nothing to do with adding mounts.

Y’know, wrecking and rebuilding LA actually made it more convenient. Just sayin’.

What if the waypoint scare is a way to introduce an improved waypoint system that better fits an expanding Living Story world? Total speculation and wishful thinking, but it’d be right nice.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mounts

Xenon.4537

Y’know, wrecking and rebuilding LA actually made it more convenient. Just sayin’.

What if the waypoint scare is a way to introduce an improved waypoint system that better fits an expanding Living Story world? Total speculation and wishful thinking, but it’d be right nice.

Well from a game design standpoint, it didn’t require them to make any new systems to rebuild LA. They made some art assets (buildings and rubble) and that’s it. The environment artist did a great job, but that’s far and away different from them designing a system with mounts. For mounts they would need to have a way to buy or earn them. They would need to address speed and how much damage it takes to knock you off the mount. They would need to actually create the mounts themselves which means a character artist needs to sculpt the creature. An animator needs to animate it. A system designer needs to figure out how exactly the player is attached to the “saddle” of the mount. The animator needs to make new animations for your character sitting on the mount. Etc.

A lot of that is all-new ground-level systems they would have to build, whereas “rebuilding” LA is easy because they already have the technology in place to create terrain and decorate the area with trees and rocks and things. What I’m saying is its easier to make a map than a whole new game mechanic/feature. They might tear down the waypoints temporarily, but you can bet they will put the waypoints back up in some form.

Mounts

minbariguy.7504

Backpacks already existed, so “plushy” backpacks are like weapon or armor skins and thus are a very poor analogy to Mounts.

One could also say that a method of travel already exists in the game as well (which, after all, is why people keep being told that they don’t “need” mounts), so I think the analogy isn’t as poor as you’re suggesting.

Mounts

Posted by: Rhalas.4167

Rhalas.4167

I dont see a problem with mounts. Im not sure why everyone is so against them. If it makes people happy then put in mounts. I dont think they are needed but Im only one out of thousands.
ALso, it would help ANet increase revenue stream so they can make this game worth playing again.

[WAR]- HOD
Lord Rhalas: Commander

Mounts

JustTrogdor.7892

If the people against mounts, including myself, stopped replying to this thread it would die off.

The Burninator

Mounts

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

If the people against mounts, including myself, stopped replying to this thread it would die off.

No – the pro-mount people would just make another thread. That is why we had 4 in one week.

Mounts

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

FFXIV has moutns and waypoints. So the waypoint argument is null. There are areas with a lot of contested waypoints. A mount with 100% speed boost would be awesome for travelling.

WvW-counter argument: just remove it from WvW or give a mount to everyone on entering WvW.

Mounts have nothing to do with WoW. Mounts are pretty standard in many high fantasy games. Just see your argument: I don’t need my Horse in Skyrim, be cause there is fast travelling. Stupid argument.

I just feel a very negative vibe concerning mounts in the GW2-Forum. There is no real counterargument, I assume they fear a WoW-ization of GW2. That’s all.

There are plenty of counter arguments, but pro-mount people ignore them.

1. LORE – there are no mounts in GW lore.

2. We already have speed boosts and don’t need more of them.

3. Mounts have not been designed, so they would be a lot of work and people have interests in other things (Guild Halls, another profession or 2, another Race (come on Tengu!!).

That is plenty of reasons.

People that are pro-mount say:

1. It would be cool.

2. Need speed boost (we have that already)

3. other games have them.

Those are the big reasons and not very viable at that.

1. Lore is something that develops over time. Do you think Akira Toriyama though how Dragon Ball would develop as he wrote the first few books? Besides that: they could ride a Dolyak, it’s possible physically.

Nowhere in the Gw Lore does a person use a mount for personal transport. It is the Lore. I Know you want the Lore to change. Because you want mounts. So the Lore needs to be changed because you want mounts? Or maybe we suddenly have an archeological dig…( uh oh..sounds Like WoW Archeology…) And we see a stone carving of a charr riding a moa. So suddenly it’s ok? The technology of the time, makes mounts totally useless.

2. Not every profession has the same speed buffs. Some have easily accessible signets, others not. It’s not really ‘fair’.

Whether you feel it is not fair that every speed boost is not the same for every profession, no one ever said it has to be fair, this is the decision made by Anet because they feel it keeps the classes either balanced, or fits the theme they feel the profession should have. For whatever reason, this is Anet’s decision. If you like it awesome, if you don’t you have to either accept it, keep complaining hope they listen..( they may not.)…or move to a game that has mounts. There are a TON of games with mounts.

3. Granted. I’d rather have another race or profession. It’s not a high priority.

Ditto.

Just for clarity, you want a mount with perma speed boost? How much speed boost?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Mounts

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Anyone else notice that this it the 12th thread titled “Mounts”?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Mounts

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

I too would like a mount (a doylak, perhaps? ) that has a movment buff, like +25% run speed. I know that there are buffs you can get from traits or skills, but for me it’s a pain – as a warrior I get a +speed buff when wielding a melee weapon – but it takes away a spot for an adept trait which I would rather equip with something else. So yeah, I think mounts have a place in GW2.

And why would having mounts mean you need to remove waypoints?

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

Anyone else notice that this it the 12th thread titled “Mounts”?

Really? I Kind of Lost count. All I Know is for the past 2 years, we get a new Mount thread a week, and especially after a content update…or a new LS episode is unvelied.

Then they are all merged, ALL the same arguments pro- and con- crop up… and the devs are given BOTH sides of the issue. And after much due consideration by the devs they continue their policy of no mounts.

take that for whatever meaning you can get out of it.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Mounts

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Totally against mounts as far as better speed. BUT would be cool if My girl could ride her ranger pets she is the smallest asura you can make and her pet is a huge lizard lol.

Mounts

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

When the advertisments for GW2 said “Play Your Way”, I’m pretty sure they meant you play your way, not that everyone else had to play your way, too!

You are exactly right about this. So stop asking Anet to add something that force everyone else to play it “YOUR” way. Mount is not in the game and all of us played the game without mount since head start. Add mount for some players’ wish is forcing the rest of us to play it their way.

We are not forcing you to play without mount, as nobody is asking to take away mount (it is not even exist in the first place). But asking for mount, however is asking to force everyone to play the game the way mount lover wants.

Mounts

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Still waiting for my chocobo with chocobo theme from FFXII.

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

I too would like a mount (a doylak, perhaps? ) that has a movment buff, like +25% run speed. I know that there are buffs you can get from traits or skills, but for me it’s a pain – as a warrior I get a +speed buff when wielding a melee weapon – but it takes away a spot for an adept trait which I would rather equip with something else. So yeah, I think mounts have a place in GW2.

And why would having mounts mean you need to remove waypoints?

These reasons have been given and repeated In Mounts threads #1- 12,542… do some research.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

Mounts

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Nah, Vama’ Allo Flanco

. . . I’m really digging my FFIX soundtrack lately.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mounts

Posted by: psyckos.6893

psyckos.6893

Does anyone remember Star Wars Galaxies? It had:
Mounts
Player Housing
Player ran economy
Crafting
Pistols
Rifles
Swords
Two Handed Swords
Hammers
Armor
An emulator years after it shut down
[Edit] Dancing….a whole profession for dancing

The relevance of this post? None. The relevance of this thread? ……

Mounts

Nerelith.7360

Mounts
Player Housing
Player ran economy
Crafting
Pistols
Rifles
Swords
Two Handed Swords
Hammers
Armor

I Loved Star Wars Galaxies. I was actually a Master dancer/Image Designer. One of the few games i didn’t play to “Play” but Roleplayed quite a bit. Purely social.

Mounts

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Even if they decided to add mounts, it would probably take them a year to do it. This game wasn’t designed for mounts. I can’t recall seeing any mounted NPCs, or even a mounted mechanic, that’s player-controlled. The only exception is Taimi with Scruffy.

They would have to add animations for all races and genders, and then there’s the size issue too. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it would take longer than people realize, and we have no idea if they even started working on them, and if they haven’t i wouldn’t expect them anytime soon.

I’m pro-mounts btw, but i’m looking at this realistically.

Mounts

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

we lose the Scale of Guildwars with all these WayPoints..

if we had mounts we would truely see how big and wide this world map is.

no more silly instant teleporting waypoints.

make people use mounts and stop being lazy.

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Mounts

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

we lose the Scale of Guildwars with all these WayPoints..

if we had mounts we would truely see how big and wide this world map is.

no more silly instant teleporting waypoints.

But I already know it’s kinda large. I’ve run around the map on a couple of characters. Took a while.

If you don’t want to use waypoints you don’t have to. You can just run around as you want.

Also as the world is all instanced how annoying would it be to mount up ride to the next map sit through the loading screen, mount up again, ride on again to the next map, sit through another loading screen, rinse and repeat. For me that would get pretty tiresome pretty quickly.

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Mounts

Rauderi.8706

Nah, Vama’ Allo Flanco

All the +1s, sir.
~kweh

Many alts; handle it!

Mounts

Posted by: vpchelko.4261

vpchelko.4261

Please NO!!!!!!!!

Mounts

Rauderi.8706

Isn’t the point of a mount so you can be lazy instead of…
…walking?

Also, as Xenon pointed above, 100/1.33 is smaller than 100/1. Mounts make the world tiny. If you really want to enjoy Tyria’s vast expanses, walk.

Many alts; handle it!

Mounts

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Hello Trahearne, what do you think about mounts ?
Trahearne : This won’t end well

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Mounts

HHR LostProphet.4801

Nah, Vama’ Allo Flanco

FFXII was the first FF game for me, so strong emotions are tied to it. Good old days…

Mounts

Xenon.4537

Isn’t the point of a mount so you can be lazy instead of…
…walking?

Also, as Xenon pointed above, 100/1.33 is smaller than 100/1. Mounts make the world tiny. If you really want to enjoy Tyria’s vast expanses, walk.

The thing people conveniently overlook is that you have to walk to every waypoint in the game before you may use it to teleport.

Edit: Lol the word “can” cannot be written next to the word “use” because it gets filtered…

Mounts

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Nah, Vama’ Allo Flanco

FFXII was the first FF game for me, so strong emotions are tied to it. Good old days…

I totally get that sentiment. Mine was much, much earlier

By the way, if we get mounts I want a gold cho- . . . moa.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Mounts

Dusty Moon.4382

Mounts
Player Housing
Player ran economy
Crafting
Pistols
Rifles
Swords
Two Handed Swords
Hammers
Armor

Problem is that was a sandbox game – this is not. Can’t compare the two.

I hate mounts in any game I play. I think they are a waste and usually cause more harm than they fix.

Mounts

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I’d prefer no mounts for sure, it makes the game a little more unique. Also, consider how a mailbox or vendor looks like in most online rpg games, ten thousand immersion breaking undead flaming sparkle dragons in a tiny space. :P

Mounts

HHR LostProphet.4801

Nah, Vama’ Allo Flanco

I totally get that sentiment. Mine was much, much earlier

By the way, if we get mounts I want a gold cho- . . . moa.

With awesome cho- . . . moa themes while riding.

Mounts

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Truth is, Guild Wars 2 already has mounts – Alpha and Omega siege golems. And they are far from just being “fluffy stuff”. Omegas have by far the greatest firepower in the game but are very slow and susceptible to attacks by multiple players. Has anyone made any complaints about siege golems until now? Not that I am aware of. I’ve seen battles which included 40+ golems in one place. There was absolutely no impact to game performance.

And I think ANet should really consider adding mounts with different capabilities and restraints which would prevent their abuse like replacing player skills with those provided by mount. You want to play spotter/saboteur in lets say WvWvW? Cool, buy a mount which will have the following skills: 1 – swiftness for a couple of seconds with an appropriate cooldown (no perma swiftness), 2 – deploy supply traps (mount would have only a set number of traps with no option to recharge), 3 – stealth for a couple of seconds (huge cooldown and breaks on movement or if any other skill is used).

Versatility, that’s the answer. Mounts have actual huge potential. The best thing is you don’t have to put players on top of mounts (clipping issues etc.) you can simply put them inside, like with golems.

Mounts

Dusty Moon.4382

Truth is, Guild Wars 2 already has mounts – Alpha and Omega siege golems. And they are far from just being “fluffy stuff”. Omegas have by far the greatest firepower in the game but are very slow and susceptible to attacks by multiple players. Has anyone made any complaints about siege golems until now? Not that I am aware of. I’ve seen battles which included 40+ golems in one place. There was absolutely no impact to game performance.

And I think ANet should really consider adding mounts with different capabilities and restraints which would prevent their abuse like replacing player skills with those provided by mount. You want to play spotter/saboteur in lets say WvWvW? Cool, buy a mount which will have the following skills: 1 – swiftness for a couple of seconds with an appropriate cooldown (no perma swiftness), 2 – deploy supply traps (mount would have only a set number of traps with no option to recharge), 3 – stealth for a couple of seconds (huge cooldown and breaks on movement or if any other skill is used).

Versatility, that’s the answer. Mounts have actual huge potential. The best thing is you don’t have to put players on top of mounts (clipping issues etc.) you can simply put them inside, like with golems.

Golems and the like are situational mounts and have very specific roles. People who want mounts seem to use any reason to forward their cause, without thinking. The Siege Golems are not useful in WvW besides breaking walls down. After that, they are useless – as I said situational and specific use. Also, when you are in the siege Golem, you only have the skills of the golem, basically you are the Golem, not riding on a mount.

Mounts have NO potential in this game other than to clutter up the screen and make the game engine chug even more. As an example, Last night, in WvW, there was a 60 man zerg of MM necros from one server we were playing against. All those minions, from each of the 60 Necros, made the game engine grind to a halt. The same would be the problem with mounts.

Until they fix the game engine, so it doesn’t chug, no mounts should be added at all.