Mounts - Feedback

Mounts - Feedback

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Ok guys, you really need to work on the movement of mounts. They feel slow and clumsy. I understand that you wanted to make them feel special, since they are bigger and all, but really, their movement sucks. Make it faster, crisper and smoother.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

That’s how it designed. it adds weight to the control, most people I find in game and on reddit like it this way. The animation is quite smooth and crisp actually.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Animation is smooth yes, and I understand they wanted the movement to feel like you are riding something big and heavy, but still – I would much prefer a smoother movement with more a more distinct start/stop, faster turnaround movement and so on.

I guess I’m one of those guys that prefers quick, smooth controls over the immersion.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: BattleRattle.5420

BattleRattle.5420

Personally I couldn’t disagree more. Love the mounts, they feel like another creature as they should, the mounting/dismounting is smooth and crisp and movement might take a little getting used to, but I found it surprising how easy it was to get a grip on.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Pug.9784

Pug.9784

The mount for me is a bit uncontrolable….
Fine in a straight line but just a hint of left/right and its instant 45 deg, or more.
End up doing a zig zag rather than a smooth turn
Not helpful in the tighter places

Upon talking to a guild mate it would seem that using a keypad result in jerkier movements and a mouse produces a smooth, more fliud, movement..
As i use a tartarus keypad, guess i will just have to get used to zig zaging in narrow places… unless someone wants to se why this is happening???? hint hint…

(edited by Pug.9784)

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: naikee.8509

naikee.8509

Anyone knows if these mounts will be only obtainable inside the expansion content or will they be a part of the whole game as a new feature?

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

The mount seems clunky to me.
- Gets caught on the terrain a lot
- Tends to be overly difficult to turn or pivot
- Jumps are hard to time for me. Either I jump way too soon and don’t cross the gap, or I end up waiting too long and don’t get off the jump. There also seems to be a bug where the jump simply doesn’t activate at all sometimes.
- The opening strike thing (even with mastery 1 & 2 unlocked) doesn’t seem very useful.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Ok guys, you really need to work on the movement of mounts. They feel slow and clumsy. I understand that you wanted to make them feel special, since they are bigger and all, but really, their movement sucks. Make it faster, crisper and smoother.

I agree, I don’t like the “momentum” they gave the mounts. They are slow to start and don’t stop right when you want – they keep going a bit.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

- Jumps are hard to time for me. Either I jump way too soon and don’t cross the gap, or I end up waiting too long and don’t get off the jump. There also seems to be a bug where the jump simply doesn’t activate at all sometimes.
- The opening strike thing (even with mastery 1 & 2 unlocked) doesn’t seem very useful.

I agree.

And the opening strike moves the mount away from the mob (even when the mob is standing still) and ends up doing zero damage more than half the time for me.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

I much prefer how they’ve added momentum to the mounts movement. It reminds me of the many hours I sunk in The Witcher 3, and the attention to detail with the raptor mount is pretty amazing!

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/AgonizingLiveFrenchbulldog

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Galmac.4680

Galmac.4680

Well, I like the current implementation of this raptor. It have some weight and just cannot make 90 degree turns, and it needs some time to accelerate or stop.
The idle animations are great too.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Sounds like a bunch of user error to me.

The mounts are fine, strafing is no issue nor is leaping/jumping.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

I love the controls of the raptors. Yes, they aren’t as fast and responsive as the mounts in WoW, but they feel good, they feel realistic, like you’re actually riding a raptor, and after getting used to that it becomes rather intuitive and nice to ride and control the raptor. It feels good and it feels real, it feels like the raptor has weight, in contrary to te mounts in WoW which feel like they are made out of air and are walking/flying in a vacuum.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The only issue is that the Raptor doesn’t respond to pivot keys if you hold R mouse down unless it’s also moving but pivots fin if you aren’t holding R mouse.

I have a feeling that this is unintentional but still.

Edit: It seems it will pivot with R mouse but only to where the camera is pointed.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

I really like the feel of the mounts. In MMOs like WoW mounts are just a speed buff with a nice skin. Here they really feel like you are riding something thanks to the added momentum and the little delay. Sure you get stuck sometimes, I did, but this is fixable and not really an argument against the mounts.

TBH I was against mounts at first because we have waypoints en masse and most of the time mounts are just meh. GW2 did something WoW couldn’t do at all. Making mounts feel organic and this is why I like them even if I was against mounts in the past.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Pache.9406

Pache.9406

Raptors so far animate, move and feel EXCELLENT. They actually feel like you’re riding a big mount and even feel realistic. If you don’t like the feel because you only care about a mediocre speed boost that feels, moves and animates like horse doodoo, then go play WoW or some other game.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

And please make the movement (navigation) correspond to my navigation keybinds. I have strafe-left/strafe-right bound in place of turn-left/turn/right. I would intuitively expect that the mount would navigate using the same keybinds. And, this is, not unexpectedly, how mounts work in other games as well. I wonder if the devs bench-marked mounts in other games before creating them here. And, before you say this is not other games, of course it is. The GW2 that shipped was distinctive; the GW2 today not so much.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Sarpan.9074

Sarpan.9074

Raptors so far animate, move and feel EXCELLENT. They actually feel like you’re riding a big mount and even feel realistic. If you don’t like the feel because you only care about a mediocre speed boost that feels, moves and animates like horse doodoo, then go play WoW or some other game.

Oh, I agree. I’m liking the raptor a lot, especially the way it skids to a stop. You do have to anticipate that so you don’t go over a cliff or something, but it’s a good feature.

My only faulting with them so far is the lack of strafe and the 180 turnaround. Folks have countered about their weight and size not letting those movements be realistic, but there’s no reason the strafe and turnaround could not be done in a way that would be consistent with it being a large animal.

But even then, this is a small point for me and just a preference. I’ll sure I’ll be fine with no changes and will get used to it pretty quickly I imagine.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

I love the mount controls and animations. They actually feel like you are riding an animal, not just controlling your character with a different texture on.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

They ‘feel’ very natural to me tbh. No need changing it on my account.

But i can see why some folks are dissapointed they don’t respond as fast as your mousecursor.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Nah, they just need to get used to the way mounts feel here. After some time the organic feel of the mounts becomes a non issue for most of the people complaining now.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Myrdreth.6829

Myrdreth.6829

Personally I couldn’t disagree more. Love the mounts, they feel like another creature as they should, the mounting/dismounting is smooth and crisp and movement might take a little getting used to, but I found it surprising how easy it was to get a grip on.

I love the controls of the raptors. Yes, they aren’t as fast and responsive as the mounts in WoW, but they feel good, they feel realistic, like you’re actually riding a raptor, and after getting used to that it becomes rather intuitive and nice to ride and control the raptor. It feels good and it feels real, it feels like the raptor has weight, in contrary to te mounts in WoW which feel like they are made out of air and are walking/flying in a vacuum.

/sign

And the idle animations are really cute too. I am happy with the raptor and can’t wait to see the other mounts in action

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Glott.7239

Glott.7239

I admit it takes a bit of time to get used to the feel of mounts but overall i like the fact it’s less direct and more like riding a different entity, rater then just “transforming” into it your self. My only request wound be, can we pls get /sit on mounts (or at least the raptor)? i noticed that the animation for this is already in game as part of the idle animation, so all it needs is a way for us to trigger it manual. PEEEEEEEEEEASE!

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

The movement an animation on the mounts is outstanding. Well done ANET team.

Mesmerising Girl

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Couldn’t possible disagree more with OP. The mounts have a real sense of weight and momentum to them which makes me feel more like I’m playing The Witcher 3 than an MMO.

And that’s a wonderful thing.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Sarabi.8310

Sarabi.8310

I have to disagree, the mounts have momentum and weight that makes them a joy to ride, the biggest issue with gliders was that they had no real momentum, you could pivot on a dime.

Please don’t change how mounts handle, they’re the first time i’ve had fun with movement in any MMO for a long, long time.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Ok guys, you really need to work on the movement of mounts.

While I usually hate sluggish movement controls (see Dragon Age: Inquisition), I love how in GW2 mounts (and only mounts) have an acceleration/slowing delay. It makes them feel more real, like riding a horse.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Just wanna say that I love how the mounts feel right now. I for one hopes anet does not listen to those who want to change the speed of the mount. The only gripe I have with them is that I can not strafe with them. I would love to be able to make sidesteps even if it is really slow I would like it rather than nothing. I love how they have momentum and tail swipe is awesome.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

The raptor feels like riding a wild raptor, i think they catched that feeling really well. I wouldnt be surprised each mount has its feel based on the way the creature moves

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

As someone who was cautious about adding mounts to the game, I absolutely love how the raptor is right now. I’m sold.

Good job Anet! ~thumbsup~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Alwayshappy.2549

Alwayshappy.2549

I have to disagree, the mounts have momentum and weight that makes them a joy to ride, the biggest issue with gliders was that they had no real momentum, you could pivot on a dime.

Please don’t change how mounts handle, they’re the first time i’ve had fun with movement in any MMO for a long, long time.

This so much. Some people have to whine about everything/anything tbh. It’s just something you have to get used to. I love it.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

The raptor mount is nice.

I would expect, that this mount could walk over steps in terrain, where the character without mount gets stuck. But it sometimes is the opposite. I can walk over steps in the terrain, where my mount gets stuck, This does not feel natural.

When I compare my first reaction to gliding in the HoT-Beta now with the mount in the demo: The mount is nice and good, but gliding was more impressive and felt more natural.

P.S. And please: Add strafe left/right.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Mounts need to be disabled within a certain range of important NPCs, TP, bank, crafting stations etc. As it is now mounts are only disabled when a player interacts with the NPC. This does not stop trolls from stacking on top of NPCs with their mounts to annoy others.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

Another thumbs up for the current implementation of the raptor.

It’s not just a speed buff, you’re riding something that lives.
If you want to talk about clumsy mounts… I remember a certain EPONA from a certain ZELDA (not the last one) that was much, much harder to manipulate xD

This… is really good in comparison, and yes it should not feel exactly like moving your own character, otherwise what’s the point, just give us all superspeed and done (and people would complain…).

You can’t satisfy everyone with implementations like that. Just like with the whole vertical/flat debate on the maps, people want different things and Anet can hardly be blamed for giving a bit of everything to everyone.

Also I will say it as much as I can… Please please praise the animation lords for their work on the raptor. The idle animations are absolutely fantastic, the cutey looks more alive than many movies rendering CGI creatures!

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Dianji.2583

Dianji.2583

For me the mount movements are one of the best I ever experienced in any game. just amazing. great job A-net rly looking forward for the expansion.

it took about 2 minutes just riding till you got a feeling for it. but its great to controll with the right mouse button pressed down.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Avaruu.5408

Avaruu.5408

I almost had a problem with the no-strafing, but after doing the beginning section of PoF, I’m really pleased. It becomes much easier to move when gaining speed, which is kind of what the raptor seems all about anyway.

Like others said, the raptor animations, sounds, and really everything is amazing. It feels and looks SO cool.

Music during the Herald of Balthazar section was awesome. I’d love to know what that track was.

The writing was fine. There were a couple of lines that made me go ‘hm’ but nothing really stupid or out of place.

So far I’m happy I preordered. The revised map of the Crystal Desert gives a lot to look forward to!

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Mounts feel fine. This isn’t WoW where I can jump and spin 1080* on the mount, it has weight and I prefer it like this.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: MasterMc.7543

MasterMc.7543

Could we trim raptors nails, they seem to get caught on EVERY thing. Just ride them up one the metal ramps that then level off, and you’ll see what I mean.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

The jumping part will just take practice.

But about the opening strike, its intentional that its not very good, ANet doesn’t want us fighting from mounts. Its literally just a way to get that tiny bit of extra damage while you are dismounting, other than that its honestly just a dismount.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

I think whoever designed the mounts deserves a medal.

Unlike any mounts in RPG’s I’ve seen, this one really feels like a MOUNT instead of a pure cosmic speed upgrade. The movement feels like you actually are riding a heavy creature; slowing uphill, speeding downhill, time it takes to reach full speed and the time it takes to fully stop, all the jumps, grunts, idle animations and so forth; it’s very near perfect.

Also the mount/dismount system is very smart and surprisingly fluid; mounting and dismounting all happens really fast and I absolutely can’t find anything to complain about aside from a few bugs that have already been posted here.

I also like the fact they didn’t make the mounts use ooc+33% movement speed, but are faster than that (confirmed on Reddit; none of the classes can outrun the Raptor). That also adds to the immersion of getting to places faster with a creature that realistically is faster than you. Also, I love how you can spam the jumps.

I didn’t really have any expectations about mounts, but now I can’t wait to get my hands on the rest of them. MOUNTS ARE FUN.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Jojo.6140

Jojo.6140

As ive already written in another thread, i really like the controls of the raptor. It feels like my char is really riding an animal with a certain weight, wich cant just instantly run at top speed or stop from it and need a bit of space. Traveling around with the new mount is what i enjoy most about this demo atm.

Mounts - Feedback

Kalendraf.9521

The jumping part will just take practice.

But about the opening strike, its intentional that its not very good, ANet doesn’t want us fighting from mounts. Its literally just a way to get that tiny bit of extra damage while you are dismounting, other than that its honestly just a dismount.

I’m sure it will be easier with practice. Also easier with the more advanced mastery that increases jump distance, I suspect.

However, the biggest issue I have right now is the terrain stopping, which is why I mentioned it first. I’ve seen the mount get stuck on terrain, that my toon can walk over without getting hungup. I’ve seen it on open ground, minor inclines and smooth ramps. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious reason why the mount gets stuck, but it’s really annoying. Each time, the mount comes to a standstill and then I need to restart movement to get it going again. I assume that’s not intended behavior or a L2P issue.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Yea hopefully that gets fixed before launch. But this is also why these demo weekends are such a good thing. This might be something that ANet wasn’t even aware of before today.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

What do you mean they’re slow?
They’re not only fast, but also ignore any in combat speed penalty.
It’s like Super-speed on you 100% of the time.

I really like the mount design.
They feel like you’re actually riding a horse in Zelda series.
It’s not just a re-skin of character to a mount, it feels different/ fluid, and you’re really riding on it . I like how the jump distance is directly reflected to how long you press the jump bottom.

Just do that racing game and you’d know what I mean.

The only issues about it are:
1. HP of mount is too low
2. The mount skill need to be more powerful to justify the use.
3. Stuck on small slope that people can walk over it.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

The mounts feel fine, it felt very organic at first realizing how mounts would function, but I vastly prefer this version of mounts compared to other MMOs where mounts are just a fancy skin/movement boost for your character.

Plus the animations and capability to be dyed are huge pluses in my book.

10/10 setting a new bar for mounts in MMOs.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Gentleman.9637

Gentleman.9637

It takes a little while to get used to, but once you do, it’s a lot easier. I had a bit of a learning curve just like anyone else did, but now I LOVE how it actually feels like I’m riding something!
Also, jumping into a pile of mobs and ruining their day with a raptor tail to the face makes me feel awesome. Lol.

What an exquisite derriere

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

Not agreed. The natural reaction and movement is great, it stands out next to all the dated mmo’s with old systems, and static movement.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Lady Lozza.9670

Lady Lozza.9670

I have very little difficulty with the turning, honestly it feels much like riding a horse but then I ride horses and I guess most people do not.

The jumping I’ve had very little issue with too. I feel the jumping is more responsive than gliding was in HoT, and my ping can bounce from 200-500ms regularly and I haven’t missed a jump yet. That may change on launch when the servers are more stressed though.

Terrain stickiness is an issue though that could use some work. Also trying to go though doors or “portals” while mounted is weird – the mount seems to trip the door on the other side so you pretty much instantly get transported outside.

Mounts - Feedback

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

It felt awful at first, but I knew it was something I’d get used to quickly, and I did. After a short while riding it, the controls feel absolutely perfect.

It reminds of the classic study where people wear glasses that shift their vision 30 degrees to the side. At first they can’t even walk, but after a short duration they are not impaired at all. Only in the case of mounts, the movement delays adds something major rather than just being a hindrance.

Mounts - Feedback

Kalendraf.9521

I have very little difficulty with the turning, honestly it feels much like riding a horse but then I ride horses and I guess most people do not.

I’ve got years of experience riding a horse, and I understand that aspect of the movement.
That’s not the problem. Rather, it’s way the mount seems to get stuck on turns, or can’t pivots sometimes, and it has a hard time turning at all in some spots. It might be related to the terrain issue, and may just be another aspect of it.