Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: redux.1502

redux.1502

The thing about mounts that puts the nail in the coffin on them for me is the fact that they make the world “smaller.” I LOVE GW2 because I feel like the world is immense (yes, despite waypoints). WoW’s mounts (even the ground mounts) cut the world’s size almost in half. I really don’t want that to happen with GW2.

(IF they implement mounts without increased movement speed attached to them, then I’d be fine with that).

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you hate the world being made smaller then walk everywhere as mounts would make the world smaller as well.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

The thing about mounts that puts the nail in the coffin on them for me is the fact that they make the world “smaller.” I LOVE GW2 because I feel like the world is immense (yes, despite waypoints). WoW’s mounts (even the ground mounts) cut the world’s size almost in half. I really don’t want that to happen with GW2.

(IF they implement mounts without increased movement speed attached to them, then I’d be fine with that).

It’s a good thing that mounts are not a forced feature that must be used, that would be a pretty bad implementation.

JQ Druid

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Eileane.3845

Eileane.3845

If Asura would have any mounts they would have hoverboards.

Boxie Togg (main)… probably Tyrias only Asuran Mesmer that ultimately fails at jumping puzzles
Stinky McLane… the only Necro known to have a toothpaste fetish
Lefty (give me a second) Fiddlesticks… one Engineer, two clumbsy hands…

Mounts [merged]

redux.1502

It’s a good thing that mounts are not a forced feature that must be used, that would be a pretty bad implementation.

They’re not forced at all, but for WoW they became the staple of movement across the world. We already have waypoints for people who want to get somewhere fast.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

I kinda like the idea of mounts. It does add a certain feel to roaming around the landscape.

But, then I stop to think:

• What kind of game is GW2?
  • How does map and travel work here?
  • Would mounts add value to that system?
  • Would it add value if we just removed most of the WPs?

I cannot, no matter how hard I try, find anything else than a firm “no” to those two last questions.
Mounts are made for big open worlds. GW2 isn’t really that big or that open. A change I would welcome though, is more open boundaries (or no boundaries) between maps. The way it’s structured now with “boxed maps” really takes a lot away from immersiveness – and entirely the point of having mounts.

Please don’t waste time on toys like this.

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

(edited by Titus.4285)

Mounts [merged]

Wetpaw.3487

They’re not forced at all, but for WoW they became the staple of movement across the world. We already have waypoints for people who want to get somewhere fast.

I like where you’re going with this, more options to better fit players with different interests and playstyles, all for it the more the merrier.

The question is no longer “can we have mounts” since they’re already in-game, the question really is how do we expand on that idea.

Similar to the original gathering tools that eventually upgraded to account bound, visual upgrades, and material gains.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Perhaps “mount” should be added to the profanity filter.

Already got a few things that act as mounts. Doing jumping puzzles with a magic carpet is quite a ride, I must say.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Big fan of mounts, reduce the amount of WP add mounts. GW2 would have kept more players and brought new ones into the game if we had mounts.

Absolute rubbish.

Hardly, I will let the genre for the last 10years speak for itself.

Absolute and utter unwanted garbage. Stop trying to make this game into “that” game. Thanks.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

Perhaps “mount” should be added to the profanity filter.

Holy kitten, I am so kitten tired of these kitten kitten threads. Keep your stupid kittens away from this game and forum, please.

Edit: seems your request was granted Ben o.O (…I wish :P)

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

Mounts [merged]

Wetpaw.3487

Big fan of mounts, reduce the amount of WP add mounts. GW2 would have kept more players and brought new ones into the game if we had mounts.

Absolute rubbish.

Absolute and utter unwanted garbage. Stop trying to make this game into “that” game. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback! But if bashing players to get this topic closed is anyones intentions just give it a few days and another will pop up. I’m not sure what game you imply? WoW, Rift, SWTOR, WS, ESO, FF, AA, Everquest, Planetside, LOTRO, Neverwinter, StarWars Galaxy, etc..

like I have mentioned, the question is no longer “can we have mounts” since they’re already in-game, the question really is how does Anet expand on that feature.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Absolute rubbish.

Thanks for the feedback! But if bashing players to get this topic closed is anyones intentions just give it a few days and another will pop up. I’m not sure what game you imply? WoW, Rift, SWTOR, WS, ESO, FF, AA, Everquest, Planetside, LOTRO, Neverwinter, StarWars Galaxy, etc..

like I have mentioned, the question is no longer “can we have mounts” since they’re already in-game, the question really is how does Anet expand on that feature.

dead horse.gif

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: mjasa.5821

mjasa.5821

I can absolutely picture myself “lulling” around on my trusty Dolyak and just admiring the beautiful scenery we have in game.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Archeage implemented mounts right (the only thing I like about their game besides the intense crafting). They have animation that supports you mounting your ride from all sides and you can perform combat on your mount. Anet’s last story zone with its woefully inadequate single waypoint screams for mounts.

Also the fact that you have to first grow your mount is awesome.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

“simply” let us board the airships and use the cannons, test performance and see how you like this?

existing mounts in gw2 are fine, love the carpet, maybe change up the way people can directly travel from point A to B?
The airships for example.

the aspect crystals are great too, more of those

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

You have to love that on the matter of Mounts, everyone feels like they are an expert. By expressing their opinions as facts. The only thing we could know for certain is, is that there are in fact players whom want them and some whom do not.

There are existing vehicles and devices in game. All of which can be described as mounts. So we have them already, can we get more of them is the question to ask.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

Archeage mounts are the only thing that game did right, it would be amazing to have that in GW2 (I’m still against flying mounts), I seriously don’t understand all this hate for something you aren’t forced to ever buy, just use your WP and stop pretending you know what belongs or doesn’t belong in the game.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

If we could have mounts only for asthetic purposes, that would be enough in my opinion. We already have brooms and carpets, so why not adding something moving on the ground? Perhaps it makes things hard to animate, I’m not sure.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I am of the opinion that we are starting to see mounts in GW2 already. Flying carpet, Kites, balloons, drill, Devourer Tonic

While certainly not traditional it’s something you hold, transform into, or sit on to move about the world. While I don’t feel they need a speed increase (after all I just love the look of mounts in general), the kites you can get in Dry top are amazing. 5% normal movements speed (hardly noticeable) and 33% while in sand storm.

I wouldn’t expect other mounts or these types of items to get the 33% in sand storm buff but a flat 5% seems perfectly fine to me. Most classes have either weapons or abilities that already make them move much faster than this.

Just my thoughts.

Mounts [merged]

Wetpaw.3487

I am of the opinion that we are starting to see mounts in GW2 already. Flying carpet, Kites, balloons, drill, Devourer Tonic

While certainly not traditional it’s something you hold, transform into, or sit on to move about the world. While I don’t feel they need a speed increase (after all I just love the look of mounts in general), the kites you can get in Dry top are amazing. 5% normal movements speed (hardly noticeable) and 33% while in sand storm.

I wouldn’t expect other mounts or these types of items to get the 33% in sand storm buff but a flat 5% seems perfectly fine to me. Most classes have either weapons or abilities that already make them move much faster than this.

Just my thoughts.

Don’t forget WvW Golems too.

Mounts don’t have to be like insert game here. I would be very content with a simple %5 speed boost, or maybe other abilities similar to how costume brawl items work; stability, protection, sprint, etc..

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

You know, I was just running through DR, and some NPC said “Horses are for riding.”

o.o

What horses?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Nope.
/15 characters

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

You know, I was just running through DR, and some NPC said “Horses are for riding.”

o.o

What horses?

The centaurs, of course.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

sadly they now exist ( but thankfully at minimal speed increases)………..eventually they will be expanded into the more traditional “mount-types” (warhorses/dragons/war-machines, etc) because they’re just too profitable not to sell on the gem store.

i don’t like them, and i don’t want the clutter….but as long as they never give a higher speed boost than 15%, i can live with them.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Please keep the conversation respectful, even if you strongly disagree with someone else.

Thank you.

I think the main problem is that we have a new mounts thread every week, and people are tired of having to rehash the same arguments over and over and over again. Why aren’t they all just routinely merged?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

Please keep the conversation respectful, even if you strongly disagree with someone else.

Thank you.

I think the main problem is that we have a new mounts thread every week, and people are tired of having to rehash the same arguments over and over and over again. Why aren’t they all just routinely merged?

Is anyone forcing you to read? The thread clearly says Mounts just ignore it if you already know what it is all about.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Thank you.

Is anyone forcing you to read? The thread clearly says Mounts just ignore it if you already know what it is all about.

One reason I can think of… Since Pro-mount individuals DO start a new mount thread weekly, on average, then they’re flooding the forums with it. Anyone in marketing can tell you that it is effective. So if those of us that are against mounts stop reading these threads, stop adding our arguments against the idea… Then eventually the Pro-Mount people will start saying that nobody or very few are against it so mounts must be what the “community” wants.

I have been wishing that they’d merge all present and future mount threads together for a LONG time. But alas it seems not to be.

Mounts in GW2?
No thank you.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Mounts : nope….
Thank you.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

We’ve been told over and over that we will not be getting mounts that increase our speed, that’s why the other threads have been closed, it’s not needed because the game world is too small, waypoints are more effective and the way the game performs will be reduced by the extra speed. I’d just give up already.

But now they’re moving towards zones with fewer and fewer waypoints. Now we have a zone with 1 waypoint.

Walking across a zone in combat with trash mobs that aren’t worth the time of day to fight is not fun or engaging.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Mounts [merged]

redux.1502

I like where you’re going with this, more options to better fit players with different interests and playstyles, all for it the more the merrier.

The question is no longer “can we have mounts” since they’re already in-game, the question really is how do we expand on that idea.

Similar to the original gathering tools that eventually upgraded to account bound, visual upgrades, and material gains.

That actually is NOT where I was going with my post AT all.

My point is, they don’t need to expand mounts to a broader system. We have waypoints and swiftness to get around the world plenty fast. If they want to add cosmetic “exploration tonics” like the magic carpet and things like that, then that’s absolutely fine. But adding a speed boost to items that can be ridden 100% of the time is not a good idea for the growth, maintenance, and development of the world of Tyria.

Personally I love riding around on my Magic Carpet, but do not want any sort of speed boost added to it. Travel in this game is already easy, so expanding the “mount” system to increase travel abilities is a waste of valuable development time on something that will not improve the game.

And as for adding onto the system, it works very well as-is. So adding new exploration tonics like the magic carpet would be the only logical next (and hopefully final) step in broadening this system.

(edited by redux.1502)

Mounts [merged]

Devildoc.6721

Oh. Man. I can just see it if mounts were in the game: “Ooo…I want that pink, fluffy spider mount, he looks so cuuutte!” Gah. Please. Spare me that.

we have mounts in game already, they just don’t give any speed increase.

Mounts [merged]

Devildoc.6721

anyone arguing against mounts should be agruing FOR more waypoints in Silverwastes.

If you’re against mounts AND want only 1 waypoint per zone.. there’s something wrong with you.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

anyone arguing against mounts should be agruing FOR more waypoints in Silverwastes.

If you’re against mounts AND want only 1 waypoint per zone.. there’s something wrong with you.

The point of the silverwastes was to give it a WvW feel I suppose. But back to the topic, I do not see mounts working in this game. Not yet.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Thank you.

I’m making a suggestion that would hopefully help make the forums a more constructive place. With all the mount threads in one thread, new posters would be able to easily read all the arguments that have gone before, rather than having to start from scratch in each one.

I’d also point out that moderators are closing mount threads because “there are quite a number of threads on mounts already” (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mounts-14/first#post4547787). Consistently merging the threads would almost certainly be better, since the forum doesn’t have a working search function.

(edited by Olvendred.3027)

Mounts [merged]

Wetpaw.3487

That actually is NOT where I was going with my post AT all.

My point is, they don’t need to expand mounts to a broader system. We have waypoints and swiftness to get around the world plenty fast. If they want to add cosmetic “exploration tonics” like the magic carpet and things like that, then that’s absolutely fine. But adding a speed boost to items that can be ridden 100% of the time is not a good idea for the growth, maintenance, and development of the world of Tyria.

Personally I love riding around on my Magic Carpet, but do not want any sort of speed boost added to it. Travel in this game is already easy, so expanding the “mount” system to increase travel abilities is a waste of valuable development time on something that will not improve the game.

And as for adding onto the system, it works very well as-is. So adding new exploration tonics like the magic carpet would be the only logical next (and hopefully final) step in broadening this system.

Speed boost items are already in-game, as someone put it before the “Trojan horse” to implementing “mounts”, granted they don’t give the visual appearance of mounted, but the result is the same.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unopened_Ventari_Follower_Kite
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unopened_Prosperity_Mine_Kite
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unopened_Crystal_Shard_Kite

Or the other forms of mounts in the game like WvW Golems, Asura racial, Broomstick, Carpet,etc..that do just the opposite giving you the visual mounted look w/o the speed boost.

I like the direction it’s heading.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Ultima Online is the only MMO to do mounts right

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

How about a Charr mount for my Asura.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

The maps in GW2 are small enough that you don’t need mounts, if you’re traveling far enough that you would need a mount, you can just waypoint closer to your destination.

Silverwastes doesn’t need more waypoints either, since it’s small enough that you can get from one side to the other ridiculously quick. Even without any speedbuff’s active on a character.

The only possible way to justify mounts would be to remove the waypoints altogether, which would be AWFUL.

You could, arguably put in mounts for appearance only, but then people would complain about not getting a speedbuff/etc. And if they added speedbuff’s people would demand mounted combat, etc. etc.

End result is no matter how they implement mounts, it would snowball into more and more work for ANet. I’d rather they focus on adding new zones/etc. which everyone will enjoy to some degree, rather then mounts which only a percentage of player’s would want/enjoy. (At least, want/enjoy more than new zones.)

Mounts [merged]

Gryphon.2875

Seconded. After all, what else are Charr good for?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

But now they’re moving towards zones with fewer and fewer waypoints. Now we have a zone with 1 waypoint.

Walking across a zone in combat with trash mobs that aren’t worth the time of day to fight is not fun or engaging.

No it would be really fun to reduce every bit of intelligent play from thing game…
Remove all mechanics. Please…

How difficult is it in game to get an actual speed boost?
Only mesmer is dependant on a bit of help from others. but they could manage with runes , food or boosters if needed

When in Silverwaste there is a reason why there is only 1 waypoint atm, it’s to balance the “minigame” which IS silverwaste, if you cold teleport/hyperspeed or be launched to wherever you needed to go this would debalance it…

SO good for A-Net to put 1 WP.

And NO, Still NO, NO to mounts. Except maybe for my proposed walking speed dolyak. (-50% speed)

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

sigh

This subject again. No mounts. They aren’t needed. For those that are already complaining that GW2 seems to be “dumbing” things down for players I’d think you’d fight tooth and nail against this. There are speed buffs in the game, players need to learn to use them.

Ideal for Silverwastes. That place is unbearable without speed skills. I doubt the game has the scale though. It wouldn’t ‘fit in’, like that other MMO which it does like a glove.

Unbearable? Hardly. I often play a Guardian which happens to have the worst temp speed buffs in the game. Still I have no problem getting from camp to blue in under 2 min (if I just skip the garbage mobs maybe 1 min) so no, no need for any more waypoints till they expand the map more. Now if only people would come help me defend the place. :P

Peace.

I stated Silverwastes not GW2 as a whole. I doubt the game could handle it. I thought you would have inferred that from the second half of my statement.

I didn’t mention waypoints.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I proposed that some time back in the german forum when we were talking about backpacks. (The Charr wanted an Asura-Backpack) Charr get an asura-backpack and Asura a Charr-mount. Everyone benefits (well beside a few bookah).

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

If you want mounts, there’s a great big huge one near [Maelstrom’s Waypoint] :p

/endoftypicaldadjoke

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I proposed that some time back in the german forum when we were talking about backpacks. Charr get an asura-backpack and Asura a Charr-mount. Everyone benefits (well beside a few bookah).

That seems wrong to me for some reason. XD
Well Charr could ride a cow. Asura could ride some kind of golem(which they do already) only cuter. Humans could ride horses. Sylvari could ride sylvari hounds. Norns could ride…kegs. :I

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

The fact that the Mounts thread keeps popping up is proof that there as just as many people who want mounts against those who dont. Also the waypoints argument is flawed. All mmos including those with mounts have waypoints or similar arragements. Some players would like to ride mounts around even with the presence of waypoints. It adds to the immersive feeling of the game. Some players may just want mounts for the “Look”. If you all are ok with the carpet and magic broom……i dont see why horses are a problem lol. Add mount shaped toys lol? Just like the toys mounts too can b disabled in wvw maps or such. As we get new content and the size of the GW2 world map xpands….mounts can be useful…might also encourage creation of large size maps.

Mounts [merged]

Gryphon.2875

I proposed that some time back in the german forum when we were talking about backpacks. Charr get an asura-backpack and Asura a Charr-mount. Everyone benefits (well beside a few bookah).

That seems wrong to me for some reason. XD
Well Charr could ride a cow. Asura could ride some kind of golem(which they do already) only cuter. Humans could ride horses. Sylvari could ride sylvari hounds. Norns could ride…kegs. :I

Mount the keg, pop the tap, and FLY!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Say! Ol’ Mordy has an affinity for vines and possibly various other forms of plant life, right? Who knows what blight his evil machinations may lay upon the breadbaskets of the settled areas we all know and love so well? If that happens — and why wouldn’t ol’ Mordy take advantage of every dirty trick in the book to weaken his foes, if he can — it might become necessary for intrepid pioneer types to expand our boundaries, broaden our horizons, head for the hills and beyond in search of new and plentiful food sources to feed our starving peoples.

Which could mean going into regions where no asura waypoint builders have gone before!

Which would also be a grand opportunity to introduce… hydroponics!

Er. I mean, mounts!

Or parachutes. Hang gliders? I mean, since we already have all those airships, might as well put ‘em to good, practical use… seems crazy, when you think about it. Like we skipped a step, somewhere… and sure, they’re tied up at the moment preparing for WAR!, but surely we could spare one for exploratory purposes… perhaps the PVE (Pact Vessel of Exploration) Enterprise, going boldly…

Ahem. Still, we could have, in the near future, vast regions of unexplored, unwaypointed wilderness in which to ride and ride and ride to our hearts’ content. It’s possible. It could be opportunity, perhaps, for economic growth. A stimulus package — on the hoof! Or claws, talons, treads, what have you.

Special note to any anet folks: just think how much fun it would be to give us mounts and then put in lots of critters to yank our characters out of their saddles every, oh, ten, fifteen feet or so. Think of the foofaraw on the forums! You know you’d love it!

Just one more thing: mounted jumping puzzles!

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You seem to have jumped over the question “do we need or want Anet to expand on those features?” and the fact that general response for this is for now “no, we don’t”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

What do you mean with “general”? I don’t belong into that group.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I don’t fit into that general response of “no” either. I like the “mounts” we have.

Someone mentioned that they don’t want any speed increase to their carpet for example. That is ok, but personally I want that universal 5%. Do I need it? No. All of my character run at speeds greater than this but if the kites in dry top have it already then why not these other pseudo mounts?

Adding Kites, Brooms, Carpets, etc just seem like fun to me. They are there in the game, and for some of the kites they give you a little something extra special.