Oh my god….
We go north (south) to Vabbi!

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Mounts would likely be confined to the expansion maps if the rumors are true. I can’t see them adding them to other areas as that could cause more issues than gliding.

They should be allowed all over Tyria with the exception of jumping puzzles (similar to how gliding works).

It’s going to happen. It’s a huge potential money maker – just look at this thread and realize there is a reason this was merged together with 4 years of forum posts..there is a reason for that.

Then look at the test case of WoW and releasing a Fellbeast looking flying mount. They sold digital assets reaching over what some MMOs make during their lifetime within one week of release (something that probably took no more than a few people a couple of weeks to create (art assets) and implement with current tech).

What makes flying mounts epic? Take water combat mechanics and put it in the air with full z-axis movement.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Mounts would likely be confined to the expansion maps if the rumors are true. I can’t see them adding them to other areas as that could cause more issues than gliding.

They should be allowed all over Tyria with the exception of jumping puzzles (similar to how gliding works).

It’s going to happen. It’s a huge potential money maker – just look at this thread and realize there is a reason this was merged together with 4 years of forum posts..there is a reason for that.

Then look at the test case of WoW and releasing a Fellbeast looking flying mount. They sold digital assets reaching over what some MMOs make during their lifetime within one week of release (something that probably took no more than a few people a couple of weeks to create (art assets) and implement with current tech).

What makes flying mounts epic? Take water combat mechanics and put it in the air with full z-axis movement.

I think it would be better to confine mounts to the expansion areas initially. Then later on, after the devs have made some adjustments to the older maps, they can allow mounts everywhere. Similar to what they did with Gliders.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Technically we already have mounts in the game. Same movement speed but still a mount of sorts. Flying broom stick and magic carpet come to mind. We do not need to become WoW just stop. Mounts of that nature are not needed in this game.

It would probably satisfy most of the calls for mounts that crop up every so often if Anet used this system to implement some creature mounts. There are a number of creatures in the game that could serve as mounts, and it shouldn’t be too big of a job to modify those assets and add in animations to have them rideable. Surely much less effort than adding a separate, more comprehensive mount system.

I completely agree. Since we can already “ride” brooms, they should be able to add horses, motorcycles, etc. that we can “ride” in the same manner. Same for gliders – since we can be portrayed standing on a glider I don’t see why we couldn’t be portrayed mounted on a creature glider.

There has also been a discussion of movement speed. Since the game already has non-ability permanent movement speed via runes, etc I think a non-stacking mount speed would be fine.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Wasn’t in favor of mounts, but I guess since they are adding them, it would be kinda nice to have a nice looking horse to ride around on.

Oh wait…

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Maybe A-net should fix water combat so people actually do/want to do it befor moving to air combat xD

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Wasn’t really looking for mounts but I get why others do. Having the mounts more than just a transportation method is also a great idea.That said hope that gliding continues to control the sky and mounts are ground based. I could see this working story wise if we are moving into areas where there are not fixed asura gates and we need mounts for large travel areas. And yes they did need to innovate and this will give the collectors more goals if they have both exclusive ingame and gemstore mounts.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

While I think mounts having a speed boost would be bad for the game balance… I’m hoping they can fix it somehow.

Overall all those leaked material seems very legit, and surprisingly good. Even the spec names make more sense than the last batch. The art looks beautiful, (yes, even the mounts).

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

They might even be confined to specific individual maps, given that there seem to be five of them and five new maps. Plus the associated mastery tracks.

I think the end result will be closer to the junundu wurms from Nightfall than the traditional MMO mount.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I disagree. Some of the abilities, whether they turn out to be true or not, should not be available in core Tyria and HoT. I’m also assuming you can just snap your fingers and poof you have a mount like you can with gliders. You may have to go somewhere on the map to get them similar to GW1 mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

In way before “Mounts cost too much on the gem store!” threads.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Jurlay.4361

Jurlay.4361

I just came back to this game since its initial release and saw there’s still no mounts :‘( I’d love to be able to have them and would even pay for them on the gem store. Perhaps with a new expac they could add them to the new areas only? And make it so they don’t work on the jumping puzzles etc? Would be nice

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Arcanaut.4158

Arcanaut.4158

Thank you Anet for putting Mounts in this Gamemode. PVE will now be more Adventurously for me. Waypoints are good, but too many are boring, und running everywhere is a little waste of Time.
I cant wait to hop onto my, wait…. My Asuras… what do they get?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

i’m glad we’ll finally get mounts so the naysayers can stop saying “mounts wouldn’t fit gw2 because of reasons”.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

Aion’s Abyss etc.? No ty.

Mounts [merged]

Ayrilana.1396

i’m glad we’ll finally get mounts so the naysayers can stop saying “mounts wouldn’t fit gw2 because of reasons”.

They still don’t. A reason is just being created (allegedly) with the expansion maps.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

If you are talking about that leak on Reddit, it could all be faked. At least wait until Episode 5 drops to see if it got its predictions about this episode correct or not

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

If you are talking about that leak on Reddit, it could all be faked. At least wait until Episode 5 drops to see if it got its predictions about this episode correct or not

That was a separate leak, as far as I can tell there has been multiple leaks from multiple sources over the past 48 hours.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Real or not mounts still remain a risk for many aspects of the game. If they truly implement them, I really hope they do it with extreme caution and without breaking other things.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

There’s no way it’s fake. Too much work went into it

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Holy sweet business. I’m playing bdo now and I love riding my mount around just to see the scenery. I really hope this is true. Look at that manta ray type thing. That’s awesome! :O

Mounts [merged]

Arcanaut.4158

When its fake, its really good, the Description and graphics are looking too good and are all made in GW2 Style.
BTW they are looking very BIG.

Mounts [merged]

Redfeather.6401

They were all deleted, Amaimon.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I noticed..

so.. leaks confirmed?

Mounts [merged]

Redfeather.6401

I just hope the mounts are true. That is something I’d look forward to coming back to. It’ll change the experience of travel, and in GW2 I did a lot of traveling.

Mounts [merged]

Arcanaut.4158

Deleted or Not, I hope its true. PLZ MO. DO IT. OMG.

Mounts [merged]

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah but I’m pretty sure people saved them. Hopefully they don’t post them as some people don’t appreciate spoilers.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Real or not mounts still remain a risk for many aspects of the game. If they truly implement them, I really hope they do it with extreme caution and without breaking other things.

Only flying mounts are risky and GW2 has already caused that amount of damage to themselves with tiered maps and gliding. The issue of players flying over maps and not engaging with each other creating the false presumption of a dead map was introduced with HoT when people where gliding over each other or down below the lower reaches of the map.

There are no risky parts in regards to ground mounts aside cash shop only speed boosts and thematically clashing designs and with the SAB cloud glider they’ve already got that covered. No downside and mounts are the ultimate form of presitge in any game when tied to achieves because people can see them from a distance and know exactly what achievement and what that particular player had to do in order to get that mount. There a high tier reward and I hope we get some high tiered challenges finally to award those mount skins because mount collecting is something I’ve always liked to do.

I can’t think of a single game that showed any negative aspects from the inclusion of ground mounts in fact if we’ve gotten ground mounts instead of gliding things would probably be better because locked to the ground there going to see and interact with each other compared to someone at the top of VB gliding around updrafts who might as well not exist to the people walking directly below them.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

Don’t worry they are true. I looked over it HEAVILY. It’s real.

Proud TTS member

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

The leak are fake.

The elites names is very magic-childish stuff, maps very predictable(and familiar), and poor design. Is very much below the anet pattern.

Mounts would be the ruin of the game’s visual, which is already in a chaotic state. That stupid other MMOS pattern where cities look like stables. The biggest difference of the GW2 to other games is exactly that you see characters, not horses.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Considering it was the only leak not deleted it’s fake.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Leak is true everything was removed

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

They still don’t. A reason is just being created (allegedly) with the expansion maps.

Whether they fit or not is purely opinion anyway.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

MOUNTS HYPE BOIZZZ

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I think the end result will be closer to the junundu wurms from Nightfall than the traditional MMO mount.

We can only hope and pray. I personally think we’re going to see a storm of winged glitter ponies the size of an SUV, just like every other MMO out there. I don’t care how big the new zone is, I can’t see a single reason it couldn’t have been handled just fine with waypoints and gliders, other than pushing cash shop mounts and accessories in the gem store.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

We can only hope and pray. I personally think we’re going to see a storm of winged glitter ponies the size of an SUV, just like every other MMO out there. I don’t care how big the new zone is, I can’t see a single reason it couldn’t have been handled just fine with waypoints and gliders, other than pushing cash shop mounts and accessories in the gem store.

travel based changes makes the most sense for masteries.
also gliders are designed for vertical maps. if you want to design an expansive desert area, gliders are not a good idea.

why big maps? well it fits the area, and its better to have a lot of players on one map because they can shout for events.

if you played guild wars i, the desert was huge and expansive, making it small would not have the same effect. they also used giant worms to traverse it, this is a similar paradigm

if they moved to an urban area, neither gliders nor mounts would be the most useful, and masteries might be tied to wall climbing, mass transit, and vip accesses.

point is different themed areas, different movement means

Mounts [merged]

imsoenthused.1634

No, the point is artificially introducing a problem that the game already had a solution to in order to create a niche for the introduction of mounts which will undoubtedly be a massive cash shop success for them, at the cost of permanently losing part of the identity that makes Guild Wars 2 a Guild Wars game. Which they have every right to do, but don’t pretend they couldn’t have done the exact same thing with properly used waypoints and strategically places updrafts and ley lines. The only reason they aren’t is so that they can make mounts a desirable item and sell more gems.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

No, the point is artificially introducing a problem that the game already had a solution to in order to create a niche for the introduction of mounts which will undoubtedly be a massive cash shop success for them, at the cost of permanently losing part of the identity that makes Guild Wars 2 a Guild Wars game. Which they have every right to do, but don’t pretend they couldn’t have done the exact same thing with properly used waypoints and strategically places updrafts and ley lines. The only reason they aren’t is so that they can make mounts a desirable item and sell more gems.

Companies are in the business of making money. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be in business. I don’t understand why people don’t get that.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Companies are in the business of making money. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be in business. I don’t understand why people don’t get that.

We all know businesses exist to make money. It’s common sense. But it’s not as simple as just “Let’s make an item and hope people buy it!”. You also have to consider, especially in this case, “will people get irritated if we make a product they not only don’t want, but seem to be adamantly against”. Put simply, if they add mounts they run the risk of satisfying a few customers and driving away an equal or greater amount of customers. Because it’s not always just a case of “if you don’t want it, just don’t buy it”. You have some people who will just up and leave and no longer support the game.

Now I’m not saying everyone is against mounts, but clearly many are. For various reasons. And it seems like at least enough people are opposed to strongly consider not adding them.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

OMG, I just realized now after some more intense googling, that there was a leak about mounts.

If they are seriously part of the next expansion and are working in itself like “Specializations” with different types of mounts that fulfill various kinds of useful roles, then I’m definetely instantly active again and those leak pictures are just looking as good as like they look being trustworthy and definetely not faked.

(Thats like freaking combining my two most like gameplay elements together and making out of it one merged thing – definetely somethign that would make GW2 truly more unique)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Mounts [merged]

phys.7689

no its not artificial if thats what the theme of the area needs.

i live in a big city, mass transit is generally better than cars, bikes are better in the city proper. walking is effecient.

in venice, a city of canals, 2 person boats make sense.

in california highways and cars dominate.

if you want variation in map design that matter you must use different means of travel. If you have the same travel limitations, you have to design similar maps.

its not a cash grab, gliders are not an after thought in hot maps. they werent made to sell skins.

the mounts are there for the gameplay opportunities they present on the maps as well as setting a different feel and tone. they wanted the maps to be exciting and different, with new ways to interact with the zone.

you are thinking of mounts in other games, which are primarily speed boosts and skin sales.
these are map mechanics

i dont want elona maps to have updrafts and ley lines, i already did that in hot. having super vertical maps was cool, but having a horizontal map may be fun.

waypoints as main means of travel is boring as hell, its good in small doses, but its best use imo is as good respawn position.

opinions on which is the best way to handle maps may vary, thats why its a good idea to have map variation

(edited by phys.7689)

Mounts [merged]

phys.7689

We all know businesses exist to make money. It’s common sense. But it’s not as simple as just “Let’s make an item and hope people buy it!”. You also have to consider, especially in this case, “will people get irritated if we make a product they not only don’t want, but seem to be adamantly against”. Put simply, if they add mounts they run the risk of satisfying a few customers and driving away an equal or greater amount of customers. Because it’s not always just a case of “if you don’t want it, just don’t buy it”. You have some people who will just up and leave and no longer support the game.

Now I’m not saying everyone is against mounts, but clearly many are. For various reasons. And it seems like at least enough people are opposed to strongly consider not adding them.

many people just follow what the authorities say. if the authorities say no mounts, they say mounts suck, if the authority says yes mount, they say mounts awesome.

reality is it comes down to execution. mounts in swtor felt hollow, mounts in black desert felt awesome.

its up to anet whether its cheesy or fun

Mounts [merged]

imsoenthused.1634

no its not artificial if thats what the theme of the area needs.

i live in a big city, mass transit is generally better than cars, bikes are better in the city proper. walking is effecient.

in venice, a city of canals, 2 person boats make sense.

in california highways and cars dominate.

if you want variation in map design that matter you must use different means of travel. If you have the same travel limitations, you have to design similar maps.

its not a cash grab, gliders are not an after thought in hot maps. they werent made to sell skins.

the mounts are there for the gameplay opportunities they present on the maps as well as setting a different feel and tone. they wanted the maps to be exciting and different, with new ways to interact with the zone.

you are thinking of mounts in other games, which are primarily speed boosts and skin sales.
these are map mechanics

i dont want elona maps to have updrafts and ley lines, i already did that in hot. having super vertical maps was cool, but having a horizontal map may be fun.

waypoints as main means of travel is boring as hell, its good in small doses, but its best use imo is as good respawn position.

opinions on which is the best way to handle maps may vary, thats why its a good idea to have map variation

We just have a differing opinion. I see no good reasons to implement mounts. I don’t think they fit into Guild Wars, and I feel that not having them was one of the things that made it the game it was, and showed a level of artistic and design integrity that I respected. Regardless of map design. I’d be fine navigating a large horizontal map without them, and I’ll be disappointed and upset every time I see one of them on my screen. I don’t have faith that they are somehow miraculously going to be implemented so much “better” than every other MMO out there that it will negate my concerns or dislike. I do think they will essentially be increased mobility speed with a slew of gem store prestige skins and accessories. I do expect the mechanic part of them to make their use essential. There will be parts of the expansion that you simply won’t be able to get to without using them regardless of your desire and or feelings on the matter. They won’t be optional in any way shape or form. All the worst things about glider monetization with the addition of being completely out of place and contrary to Guild Wars core design. I get that they will sell lots of shiny, glittery, winged super happy fun time skins for the rabbit mount in the gem store, with an additional up sale of rainbow tack, and I’m happy they’ll make money and be able to continue developing the game. I’m just concerned that it won’t be a game I have any interest in playing.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

This seems appropriate.

Attachments:

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aura.2169

Aura.2169

I wanna I’m so kitten happy that we got to see some leaked mount pictures and I wanna give anet some ideas, That each Race has their own cultural amounts, and again this is just my opinion. So if ya have anything negative to say go for it.

Charrs: Rock Dogs with the Full Armor
Humans: Mistfire Wolf from the Elite spec
Norns: Raven With Full Armor/jewelry
Asuras: Golem with glowing detailed symbols
Sylvari: Armored Fern with Sharp Claws and glowing green eyes

Not only that but in some time of way we should also have a build up spec to make the mounts faster.

Thank you and once again this is just my opinion.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

If mounted combat is in WvW I will absolutely be 100% done with this game, though. Even if my elite spec suggestion is exactly what they implement (although that’s looking pretty unlikely based on trait icons/skill names).

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

This seems appropriate.

It’s necromancy in the same way that Frankenstein’s monster is necromancy. Mount thread finally dies into obscurity, someone makes another mount thread, then the mods glom that thread into this one, sewing and stitching it on and shocking it back to life.

Or something. Analogy failure is pretty quick there. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I hope it’s real! The mounts look great and will be fun in my opinion.

If they arent real someone went through like… real development work just to fake it, lol. I am usually negative, but I think its real.

The question is, are these a general addition or will it just be a straight up replacement to gliders in the new zones (with some poor excuse that gliding doesnt work there)…

If it is general (available in existing zones together with HoT/vanilla accounts) I guess a couple of things:
- Its probably not going to be faster than running. Maybe an easy way to get the eqvivalent of perma swiftness.
- Combat will more than likely be token as classes are much stronger on foot.
- Not gonna happen for WvW. Ever.

Since they had multiple masteries with them I suspect it will not just be a case of a faster way to travel (although it will be a goddessend for those without perm swiftness). It will be interesting to see if they implement them in zones other than the ones with the new expack though, like was done with gliding.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: SirPuddlesworth.6783

SirPuddlesworth.6783

Please make mounts a thing… I’ve already paid a stupid amount of money to anet for their game and gems etc, I’d hella beat the crap out my wallet for this

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

New bigger open maps and mounts are great to get. Both things that I wanted and should be in vanilla imho. What I am however afraid of is that the mounts (different skins) will again become one of the cash-shop items (just like gliders). Sure with masteries there still is content linked to the mounts. But the idea of going into the world to find and catch and earn and build mounts is dead if mounts will be yet another cash-shop item. Exactly what happened with mini’s and skins and toys in this game. Let’s hope they did learn from the mistakes but I fear for it. It’s simply how monetization works in GW2 and with that much of the fun about those things (collecting them) is gone.

Would want to be positive, but it’s hard seeing how things have been going in the past.

Not to mention that imho many of these improvements just come too late to really give GW2 another chance and recapture a much bigger player base like it had in the past.

But yes, let’s still end with a positive note. After years of Anet preparing players for mounts (Did anybody still Not expect to get them?) it’s great when we finally get them. Mounts are a great addition to the game!