Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

Just imagine Anet scrapping whole idea of papaya expansion because of leaks and doing underwater expansion with Steve and submarines…

I would like to hint to everybody that mount system already in place with some enemy designs of HoT.

There are several big downsides in GW2 with mounts:
- GW2 have no collision boxes. (so we would look at huge amoeba trains on new maps unless they manage to spread out players even more than in Tangled Mess)
- GW2 have huge Norns/Charrs and tiny Asuras (so how they would fit mounts?)
- Anet have no balls to scrap waypoints down to 1 per map
- Anet can add them to core game areas
- Several mount types due to mastery system guarantee us almost 0 skins for each type (Anet lazy even in gem store department)
- Every normal DD is already running with perma 33% speed boost all the time

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

I haven’t seen any official source even hint about either locations or mounts for the next expansion. As believable as leaks and unconfirmed speculation might be, people using language like “pretty much certain” and saying this or that ‘will’ happen in an expansion that we have zero official information about doesn’t really make sense. We don’t know for sure. Not even close to sure.

Have you personally seen the actual leaked images?
I have and I won’t spoil any further detail on the expansion but let me make a few points on that topic:

- They look absolutely convincingly
- They are not just a quick image from a mount or a excel sheet with some information, they show ingame footage, icons, the gw2 art style, the new expansion theme
- They show the entire maps with all waypoints, names etc

- If anyone faked this, he has done such an amazing job. He has probably put so many work hours in this ‘project’ that he can release the next expansion himself

- Do you really think that Anet, and believe me they have noticed this leak too. Do you really think they would not have said anything about it if this was completely made up? If there was completely false information about their most important upcoming event out there, hyping many people as well as making some of their players unhappy?

-All that anet has done after the leak is confirming that a new expansion will come out on reddit:
“….Yes, that means what you think it means: there’s one more episode after this, and then straight to the expansion pack.”

For me it’s at this point pretty clear that the information we have about the upcoming expansion is not made up.

Did I say it was made up? Don’t think I did. What I’m saying is that it’s not set in stone. Obviously. It isn’t released yet. We have no idea what could or could not change about what’s in those pictures between when those pictures were taken and many many months later when the expansion arrives. I mean, they must be changing something about the expansion or else it would already be here, right? They already had pictures of the finished product. It must be done. Why haven’t they shipped it yet?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

To be fair, having one portion complete wouldnt mean that all aspects of an expansion were complete.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming that it is done, just that kts possible to finish one feature and then move on to others before launch.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just because there were pictures of finished, or nearly finished map terrains, and new Mastery UIs, does not mean everything about the expansion was finished.

I doubt they would scrap a year-plus worth of work to start over with only months left until launch.

I suppose anything is possible, however unlikely.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

They could have scrapped the idea of mounts though. Unless the entire expansion was based around the idea of mounts, it’s unlikely that would set them back too terribly much.

Mounts [merged]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Since they are obtained through Masteries, it probably would set them back.

Again, only time will tell. I truly doubt they would change things this late.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Opal.9324

Opal.9324

I’m fine with mounts as long as I’m not forced to use one and they don’t remove any waypoints to make up for it. I only play charr and I’m pretty sure they would look absolutely stupid trying to ride a horse.

Mounts [merged]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think there will be any horses, if the screenshots were any indication.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Opal.9324

Opal.9324

I haven’t seen the screenshots so I don’t know what the mounts look like. I still don’t want to be forced to use them, though.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

There are several big downsides in GW2 with mounts:
- GW2 have no collision boxes. (so we would look at huge amoeba trains on new maps unless they manage to spread out players even more than in Tangled Mess)

This isn’t really a problem

- GW2 have huge Norns/Charrs and tiny Asuras (so how they would fit mounts?)

Gloriously

Silverwastes and Bitterfrost Frontier say hi. And 1 waypoint per map is garbage design anyway, even with mounts. Every map should ideally have at least three (Entrance, middle, far), ideally five (One for each corner, and one in the middle)

- Anet can add them to core game areas

Not a problem

- Several mount types due to mastery system guarantee us almost 0 skins for each type (Anet lazy even in gem store department)

Do not underestimate the power of monetization.

- Every normal DD is already running with perma 33% speed boost all the time

DD’s make up less than 1/9th of all active characters at any given time. Warriors, Guardians, and Necromancers will appreciate having reliable out-of-combat speed.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

There’s a few things I hope about Mounts:

Summoning a mount is instant:
They will be considerable faster then Swiftness or other Speedboosts;
When Mounted you do not draw aggro from mobs; how lovely would it be if you could traverse HoT without being crippled every second. (I know, if you are a good player you can avoid most of the attention of mobs, but I also want to be lazy sometimes.)

Else I do not see much use for them other then looks, and traversing the very large new maps.

Mounts [merged]

Yakez.7561

Silverwastes and Bitterfrost Frontier say hi. And 1 waypoint per map is garbage design anyway, even with mounts. Every map should ideally have at least three (Entrance, middle, far), ideally five (One for each corner, and one in the middle)

Yes and no. SW is a small map, small map in the event area. I could traverse it from camp to vine in less then two minutes. Bitterfrost is even smaller, plus it has all mastery fast travel. If they would be upscaled to HoT map size we would get the same amount of waypoints per square. Add faster movement from mounts… and there is already to many WP even nowdays.

Every time when I do HP runs on the new char, I really do enjoy HoT maps. Why? I have no WP and enemies can kill me. So every time when I separate from main group it is an adventure. After several runs I actually remembered layout of the maps better then after dozens of metas. Now, when I know my way around, I think that Verdant Brink is actually faster to 100% explore than any of the core maps (except towns).

And lets look at most hated HoT map. Tangled Mess. If it had 1-3 WP, it would be greater map. Why? People from day 1 would remember layout. How to get around, how to use tunnels. Right now people just discover WP once and then use them to travel between lanes, not knowing how to get to other places. That is the main frustration in the community with this map. And the same thing makes players unwilling to go anywhere near Chak Fortress for example, nobody just know how easy it is to get there.

Now imagine every time you load to map in one point, with other 100-200 players, and from there you separate to different areas. If you die you would rely on noble souls to finally res you. You would know how to get to this and that event chains rather then LFG > Join squad > WP. Add TP and Bank to this one WP and you would get great hangout area. Yes there could be additional and temporary WPs for main meta like in DS, but not the other way around.

So main idea is less WP > more social interaction > more map immersion.

And do not say that playerbase do not like social interaction. This is a lie. Every time you follow the tag in silence is already the social interaction.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Adenin.5973

Adenin.5973

I haven’t seen the screenshots so I don’t know what the mounts look like. I still don’t want to be forced to use them, though.

If the implementation of gliding in HoT is any indication, it’s likely that the new maps will be designed for the new mounts and the new masteries these mounts have.
Mounts will probably in some part be the replacement for ley line flows, jumping mushrooms, waypoints, skritt tunnels etc.

Even if mounts would only give you a 33% speed boost, which is imo unlikely, the mounts will probably not be an optional part of the game if you want to discover all areas in the new regions without serious disadvantage against a mount user.

There’s a few things I hope about Mounts:

Summoning a mount is instant:
They will be considerable faster then Swiftness or other Speedboosts;
When Mounted you do not draw aggro from mobs; how lovely would it be if you could traverse HoT without being crippled every second. (I know, if you are a good player you can avoid most of the attention of mobs, but I also want to be lazy sometimes.)

Else I do not see much use for them other then looks, and traversing the very large new maps.

I doubt that anet wants player to be basically invunerable to normal mobs when they use a mount, so that they can totally break the game and most game mechanic anet throws at them.
I think there will be mechanics in the game that will dismount you.

You cannot glide in certain areas like jumping puzzles, there are mordrem snipers, that kill you when you are gliding and not using stealth etc.
There will probably mechanics that will prevent people from riding through hordes of enemy npcs.

Imo a mount should make it faster, more fun and engaging to traverse the terrain, it should not necessarily make it easier.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

Mounts [merged]

Yakez.7561

Imo a mount should make it faster, more fun and engaging to traverse the terrain, it should not necessarily make it easier.

And good reason to downscale WP system.
And good thing to wine about in forums when players would need to play the game to get MPs for mount mechanics.
And more drama about how Anet broke their manifesto promise.
And more people saying how they hate new maps designed for mounts.

One thing just struck me. Imagine.
Final papaya mission. We actually mount grown Aurine and kick Elder Dragon ass in battle of David an Goliath. That would be finally awesome endstory mission.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

And il guarantee you if a person doesn’t enjoy GW2 they are not going to start enjoying it because they have the image of a horse instead of their character moving.

I have several friends that asked me about the game and one of their first question was if there are mounts. Mounts are pretty much a standard for an mmo today. If you are used to them you don’t want to miss them.
Just imagine not being able to jump in a newly released mmo…

Also, I myself stopped playing gw2 shortly after the release of HoT but I returned as soon as I heard about the new expansion, two of the new elite specializations and of course because of the fact that we probably are getting mounts.

Right now I have new goals in the game, saving as much gold, mats, hero points as possible to craft new possible legendaries and acquire new equipment, new mounts, new elite specializations from the expansion.

I am also member in a huge guild 400+ members and since the leaks the guild upped its member count from 300 to 400 people. Many new players but many people have just recently returned because of the leaks.

People seem to like mounts overall that’s what I am getting from all of that.

That’s not what i said. If someone does not like the gameplay offered in GW2 then adding/removing mounts, its not going to affect that. I will guarantee you no player who enjoyed playing GW2 left purely because there are no mounts – it is fluff. What does mounts give? well some people like collecting mounts, so that’s good, however the speed of the mounts will need to be the same as max speed running or those maps are going to feel VERY VERY small. The real question is wether mounts should be prioritized over other things and if its value for money. If its cheap to build and speed is managed then win win perhaps.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

(edited by vesica tempestas.1563)

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

That’s not what i said. If someone does not like the gameplay offered in GW2 then adding/removing mounts, its not going to affect that. I will guarantee you no player who enjoyed playing GW2 left purely because there are no mounts – it is fluff. What does mounts give? well some people like collecting mounts, so that’s good, however the speed of the mounts will need to be the same as max speed running or those maps are going to feel VERY VERY small. The real question is wether mounts should be prioritized over other things and if its value for money. If its cheap to build and speed is managed then win win perhaps.

But that’s almost never how it works. There are very few things where people would actually say: “I like this single specific game mechanic, I will buy this game!”

I didn’t really care about raids. For that reason I am not that happy about getting new raid rewards. But that’s only one part of the game. If there were ten more things added to the game I didn’t care or like, I would probably start feeling that this game is no longer for me.

Mounts in Gw2 is not something that is so important that everyone will start buying or leaving the game instantly just because of that specific new mechanic.
But it’s one mechanic more that people like or dislike.

When I left the game after HoT, I still liked the overall gameplay. But it got boring fast and I had no goals that could excite me anymore.
If we would only get mounts with a new expansion, I wouldn’t have returned but we get a new region, new elite specializations, new armors, weapons, story and of course mounts.
There are too many things in that new expansion that excite me, to not return to this game and mounts is of course just one more thing I am very excited to try out.

And one mechanic comes rarely alone. Anet will build around mounts and many of the new mechanics that will come with new expac.
At release everyone will look at the overall picture that they’re presented with and decide if they like the overall gameplay or not.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

This topic is pointless, there will NEVER be mounts in GW2.

There’s a bigger chance that i’ll get an Asura as a Pet for my Norn ranger…

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

This topic is pointless, there will NEVER be mounts in GW2.

There’s a bigger chance that i’ll get an Asura as a Pet for my Norn ranger…

Then you should better be prepared to travel with a new companion in the future expansion.

We’ve already seen ingame screenshots and the masteries for them.

Yes there is a chance that this is faked. But anet would’ve said something by now if it was completely made up and the guy that made this entire thing up should then immediately be hired by anet because his work looks absolutely amazing.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Understand: Mounts will likely never bring speedboosts and combat options if they’d be available ingame, they’ll likely not be like brooms and carpets either.

I expect we could get replacement forms…

Suggestions I’ll make:

Why? -This would fit the MASTERY SYSTEM!

Yes, they can be considered mounts, but not everywhere and likely not for everyone
There is stilll a chance things might turn out Guild Wars style… and not what you expect from “conventional” MMORPG’s

I’m gonna wonder what would happen;

Will we get a:
“All miniatures hidden due to a large amount of players and Mounts on the map”
and later
“All Miniatures and Mounts hidden due to too many players on the map”
and
will we be seeing you moving through the desert on your behind…?

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

People complain about the lag now …. wow just wait if any mounts are added. Which by the way ANet has NOT said they are adding mounts. It’s all speculation. No one knows yet what will be in the expansion. All we know for sure is that one is being worked and it should be coming soon. How soon? Again NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING YET!!!!!!! And the ones that DO know are NOT talking.

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

Understand: Mounts will likely never bring speedboosts and combat options if they’d be available ingame, they’ll likely not be like brooms and carpets either.

I think I would go to far when I would explain you exactly what we can expect after seeing the mount masteries (and their descriptions) that came with the leak.

So I think if you really want to spoil it for yourself, you should just use google and research it yourself.

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

People complain about the lag now …. wow just wait if any mounts are added. Which by the way ANet has NOT said they are adding mounts. It’s all speculation. No one knows yet what will be in the expansion. All we know for sure is that one is being worked and it should be coming soon. How soon? Again NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING YET!!!!!!! And the ones that DO know are NOT talking.

A developer has confirmed on reddit that the next expansion will arrive 3 + months after the next living world episode. It was stated it would take a bit longer than the break between normal episodes.

If nothing major happens we should see the new expansion this year somewhere in autumn.

These are some important comments made on reddit from Mike O’Brien:

“We announced that today’s episode, Flashpoint, is the second-to-last episode of the season. Yes, that means what you think it means: there’s one more episode after this, and then straight to the expansion pack.”

“This time around we have two separate fully-staffed teams that are both hitting on all cylinders. So our rough plan is to slot the expansion pack into the release cadence as if it were an episode: episode 5, then episode 6, then the expansion pack, then episode 1. But we’ll make some allowance for the fact that shipping an expansion pack is a big deal logistically and will probably take longer than the 2~3 months we normally allocate between episodes.”

“Spoilers take away the delightful surprises from upcoming announcements and releases, and more importantly they also take away the reveals that you’d otherwise get to experience fresh as you play through the content. If you want to spoil yourself, to open all your presents early, that’s a choice you make for yourself, but do me a favor and don’t make it for other people. Things can quickly become common knowledge around map chat, guild chat, Reddit, etc., and then it gets to the point where no one gets to be surprised and delighted as they play through the game. And, after all, games are meant to be played.”

(edited by Adenin.5973)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

A developer has confirmed on reddit that the next expansion will arrive 3 + months after the next living world episode. It was stated it would take a bit longer than the break between normal episodes.

If nothing major happens we should see the new expansion this year somewhere in autumn.

Again I say we still don’t know exactly when. We have a time frame but no date. ANet says soon and that’s all they will say. They may need to extend a month but since we still don’t have a concrete date we don’t know if they are extending or not. They have not given us any concrete information. Everyone is just speculating at the moment on the exact date and what is in there.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I think I would go to far when I would explain you exactly what we can expect after seeing the mount masteries (and their descriptions) that came with the leak.

So I think if you really want to spoil it for yourself, you should just use google and research it yourself.

I made it a habit not to believe hearsay and so-called leaked info.

In my opinion:
If the playability of the game deteriorates further due to to mounts you might be happy and playing with a small core of people who find their personal mount fantastic while the rest leaves due to inplayability issues, due to additional frame lag, or just a very small amount of people in map all because the instances have problems maintaining a big enough number of players.

Understand high end computers already have problems maintaining 60+ FPS in filled zones… when spread out….
If these people having the higher end gear leave due to mounts worsening the horrid engine performance, so will the game’s income vanish. If a person cannot afford a decent PC these persons combined will likely not gonna drop enough cash for gems to make this game survive.
No amount of polish could keep me watching a stuttering mess. Even if I have enjoyed playing this game for nearly 5 years. At least we’re past the 12 FPS WvW battles. I had a friend who had 2-7 FPS in WVW during zerg clashes and managed to get bronze general…

And this is not mount hate. It’s just a practical perspective. Understand it’s no problem to have mounts as transportation (that’s mount with you in it , moving through or something comparable) like I stated above, but I doubt doubling the amount of on screen things happening (read mount + characters) will help in this games performance as it stands now with the present engine.

The fact mini’s still need to be removed while they have only minimal interaction or animations will not bode well for the implementations of classical mounts with you riding ’m.

Unless this game’s main devs says: “We improved the engine so much we can now handle all mini’s, all mounts with added ppl in map from now on…” I really, really hope you are not right on mounts as I interpret how you’d want them…

As of now I STILL have not heard anything about a new or reworked engine being released so as it stands now the engine is still the one we started with, at least it is for me. Cause even if there are signs of an OpenGl driven engine (-thinks of Mac Client-), and maybe even a Vulkan or improved DirectX cause if An-Net is working on an engine and have reverse engineered it, improvements might have been made or being made as we speak. Which is also pure specualation…

This said I have no clue if the engine can be improved and if it is done what the new demands will be. If the game can get added power with a variable number of threads I’ll be happy. My pc needs ~30%-45% of system resources when I play Gw2, watch a movie, am browsing on internet, on voice, and making clips of gw2 at the same time.

This said I’ll return to the 1st point. Everything is still hearsay.

I have seen so many threads about HoT before anything became clear… I’m not going to be bothered with people reading stuff and expecting the precise things they want out of things others have problems voicing and writing down.

It’s way too early for the hype train. I took my bicycle and am slowly preparing, but not going all out in celebration of hearsay.

We’ll see in 3-4 months.. Until then it’s just a waste of time speculating. Fun maybe, but still a waste of time.

TL;DR: All specualtion, Doubt this will work on present engine, As long as we have no clues on engine or actual additions to the game: It’s to early to specualte or rejoice.
Hypetrain still at station, without coal or water. Machinist sleeping ,wagons house masiive spider infestation and junk from last hyperound has not yet been cleaned.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Mounts will be fine! They’ll give a 25% movement speed boost that does not stack with other movement boost effects. This way everyone will be pleased – the map size won’t be an issue, trivialising content won’t be an issue, and those with tiny reproductive organs can feel empowered upon their gigantic contraptions.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

ANET
pls take into account that lot of us hate mounts.
allow us to escape their idiocy by not allowing them to jump.
please, for the love of god.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Jojo.8973

Jojo.8973

They could just be an aesthetic thing to better customize our characters with, like what we already have with the carpet and etc.

AHHHHH!!! THEY’VE TAKEN MY LEFT NIPPLE TIT!!!!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Im kinda kittened they went back on they’re word about not wanting to include mounts

At least they are consistent, say one thing then do the opposite.

Mounts [merged]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Did the Devs ever say, one way or the other, about wanting to include, or not include, mounts?

The only thing I’ve ever seen was the statement that mounts would not be included at launch. (See pre-launch FAQ.) Nothing since.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Let’s see how mounts work in Tangled Depths, Bloodstone Fen, Draconis Mons, Verdant Brink and any other map heavily reliant on gliding.

Because the moment they start introducing flying mounts (incoming WoW), this game will be making it’s way to the back burner for me, sigh.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Because the moment they start introducing flying mounts (incoming WoW), this game will be making it’s way to the back burner for me, sigh.

You’ve not seen the leaks, I take it.

Griffon and floating manta ray mounts.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

You’ve not seen the leaks, I take it.

Griffon and floating manta ray mounts.

My expectation is that “flying” mount will be mechanically identical to gliders.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Im kinda kittened they went back on they’re word about not wanting to include mounts

At least they are consistent, say one thing then do the opposite.

I’d love to see a quote where Anet said there would never be mounts in this game. I haven’t heard or seen anything like this. I’m pretty sure it’s never actually been said. People have said it, but I don’t believe Anet did.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

This is why we have gliders.

Exactly, why walk, or ride, when you can glide…

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

I’d love to see a quote where Anet said there would never be mounts in this game. I haven’t heard or seen anything like this. I’m pretty sure it’s never actually been said. People have said it, but I don’t believe Anet did.

From the official Gw2 wiki FAQ, with a source link that leads you nowhere….

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

“Will there be mounts?
Other than map travel and asura gates, there will be no other methods of long distance travel such as mounts, ships, etc in Guild Wars 2 upon initial release.

Also from a very old interview (2011)

http://www.guildmag.com/community-interview-with-colin-johanson

Colin: “….. but there are no mounts in Guild Wars 2. You can’t have an airship as a mount on initial release, but mounts will play into some of the gameplay in the game.”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Professor Sprout.1560

Professor Sprout.1560

It seems that of the players who believe the leaks that revealed mounts, not many took the time to look at the accompanying images for masteries which revealed how they are going to work.

Without wishing to get this thread locked and myself infracted for referencing specific details, I think that based on that info we can thoroughly debunk three possibilities: that mounts will function merely as a simple convenience boost to land speed; that the fliers will function as WoW-style flying mounts and serve to bypass platforming; and that mounts will be completely disconnected from the game’s combat system.

Instead to me each mount looks like its own navigation system, on par with the HoT systems of gliding and mushrooms, but with better combat support in the core design.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Mounts suck, imo they will make the game look like some stupid asian mmo.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tryhard Pants.9745

Tryhard Pants.9745

Waypoints are boring as kitten. We don’t even have a cool animation like in ESO.

So yeah, one WP per map and other means to get around: mounts, ley lines, hell even old fashioned “cabs” that fly or ride you to your destination would be cool. Takes longer but you can go afk in the meantime. I loved that in Wildstar and WoW.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Waypoints are boring as kitten. We don’t even have a cool animation like in ESO.

So yeah, one WP per map and other means to get around: mounts, ley lines, hell even old fashioned “cabs” that fly or ride you to your destination would be cool. Takes longer but you can go afk in the meantime. I loved that in Wildstar and WoW.

I’d rather have instant travel so I can get to my destination quickly. I hate how long it takes to travel great distances with WoW’s flightpoints.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Waypoints are boring as kitten.

Something that allows you to get into what matters: the action, faster is “boring”, while something you “can afk on” is exciting? That’s weird logic

Mounts [merged]

Tryhard Pants.9745

Waypoints are boring as kitten.

Something that allows you to get into what matters: the action, faster is “boring”, while something you “can afk on” is exciting? That’s weird logic

It would just be an alternative to traveling by yourself. I don’t know, it would feel more immersive to me than teleporting around.

I’m not a fan of the premise of fractals either. They are fun to play, sure, but porting from instance to instance makes me feel disconnected from the game world.

All personal taste though and I get where people are coming from when they don’t want to waste time walking around.

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

So you would favour an edited version of Lord of the Rings where you only see the 3-4 large battle scenes and nothing else? No journey, no explanation, no background?

This is of course just an example for why just ‘action’ is not always that exciting but I think in an MMO that wants to have a world that feels real, alive, dangerous and that wants to be taken serious, you can’t just let players choose which event they want to instantly join, otherwise you haven’t built a world but a game lobby .

You have to send them on a journey and you have to make that journey interesting so that when they finally reach their destination they are already excited as hell and the big final event is just something that falls in line and creates together with that journey a much more unique and interesting experience than if you would just click on a waypoint and join a tag.

No one knows at this point if anet can remotely realize such a thing but I think they are heading in the right direction.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

So you would favour an edited version of Lord of the Rings where you only see the 3-4 large battle scenes and nothing else? No journey, no explanation, no background?

If Lord of the Rings was a game, and especially an MMORPG, then yes.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

check communtiy creations on community corner category to see some results about the public opinion about general idea of getting mounts.

and yeah boys the mount gameplay will be fun as hell you’ll see ^^ .

At some point maybe you will get the picture that spamming your poll, which I must say doesn’t really provide significant data, and having the mods remove it over and over is not going to work out well for you. There have been many, many mount related polls conducted over the years on this forum. None of which could be considered statistically valid no matter the outcome. Also as it has been stated many times mounts of some form are going to arrive in the next expansion if the leaks are correct. So I don’t really understand what your crusade is about.

Proving what the actual majority wants ! despite all the arguments !

thats an actual argument! hope the results convinces you !

I have no feelings either way on mounts, Im quite happy with or without, but your poll will not come close to a majority. Id be surprised if you even get 1% of the population of the game.

At the moment, the point is moot. All we have are leaks, which aren’t confirmed or denied and already many of the leaks that came out concerning episode 5 were wrong. I specifically point out one that said episode 5 def did not reveal lazarus to be whi he was and we would def have a crystal desert set up by its conclusion. There are other things too which were false.

I know people want to speculate, but prob better to wait until they officially announce anything. Regradless of anyones feelings, if they are coming, then they will have already read the feedback aplenty over the years and it will be set in stone. If they are #fakenews then a lot of ppl may end up feeling a bit foolish.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

This is of course just an example for why just ‘action’ is not always that exciting but I think in an MMO that wants to have a world that feels real, alive, dangerous and that wants to be taken serious, you can’t just let players choose which event they want to instantly join, otherwise you haven’t built a world but a game lobby .

You have to send them on a journey and you have to make that journey interesting so that when they finally reach their destination they are already excited as hell and the big final event is just something that falls in line and creates together with that journey a much more unique and interesting experience than if you would just click on a waypoint and join a tag.

No one knows at this point if anet can remotely realize such a thing but I think they are heading in the right direction.

Currently there is a fine balance in getting around. You can either teleport to known locations to quickly participate or wander around exploring while doing Heart quests and map completion.

Mounts are a useless non-content addition in this, unless on maps that are specifically designed for it.

Here’s hoping the developers of this game have the strength to contain the use of mounts on such special maps (if that is whats gonna happen) and don’t break and pull a WoW-Cataclysm. Which would be destroying older content in favor of introducing fast bling.

I’ve been using mounts for many, many years in WoW and compared to current gameplay in Guild Wars 2 they are nothing and represent nothing. Just useless bling that will destroy everything you have now.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

mounts in gw2 -> grind mastery to use mount just in some event or zone in the new 3 maps :P

whatever is added to this game…. its a demo.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

Well, I am pretty excited about mounts.

But I have a few things that I am worried about:

- Being left behind by your squad if you are getting somehow dismounted by some npcs and you need to fight back annoying mobs and try to get somehow out of fight to mount up again
- Usually you run around and it’s not that big of a deal if you want to gather some mats on your way. How will this change if you and your allies ride around? Will you stop or will it be to annoying to gather stuff.
- Reviving dead players, same as above
- Even more performance issues

And a few questions that came to my mind:

- Will our weapons, backpieces get hidden when we are on a mount?
- Can your mount die? Will you have to revive it
- Has your mount any sort of inventory, equipment slots?
- Will we be able to go underwater with the mounts, will they be able to swim?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Fragon.7043

Fragon.7043

Well, I am pretty excited about mounts.

But I have a few things that I am worried about:

- Being left behind by your squad if you are getting somehow dismounted by some npcs and you need to fight back annoying mobs and try to get somehow out of fight to mount up again
- Usually you run around and it’s not that big of a deal if you want to gather some mats on your way. How will this change if you and your allies ride around? Will you stop or will it be to annoying to gather stuff.
- Reviving dead players, same as above
- Even more performance issues

And a few questions that came to my mind:

- Will our weapons, backpieces get hidden when we are on a mount?
- Can your mount die? Will you have to revive it
- Has your mount any sort of inventory, equipment slots?
- Will we be able to go underwater with the mounts, will they be able to swim?

no one can respond to all of that , but some of what you asked is mastery stuff… i’ll go no further but you know what to do if you want some of your questions answered.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If Lord of the Rings was a game, and especially an MMORPG, then yes.

Well, actually … LotRO does track the events of the novel with the player story and quests moving in parallel, with occasional appearance by the “main characters” such as Tom Bombadil to save the player’s butt. It is an MMORPG firmly set in Tolkien’s world, no “if” about it.

It also has horses, designed in from the start. But while they can get you places faster, there’s a ton of non-action to do there too. Crafting, fishing, festivals, playing music, just off the top of my head remembering playing quite a while ago. I never got as far as Mordor but I heard tales of what dungeoning there was like — fast runs to the end boss weren’t a thing afaik.

Which is important to a game’s longevity. If all there is to do is get somewhere very fast, beat something up, and pin on the I-WIN badge, why bother?

Mounts [merged]

Tryhard Pants.9745

Which is important to a game’s longevity. If all there is to do is get somewhere very fast, beat something up, and pin on the I-WIN badge, why bother?

Exactly my thoughts. A big appeal of MMOs are massive open worlds… being able to instantly teleport everywhere, then teleport out only diminishes that. And GW2 already feels small to me due to zones seperated by loading screens.