Mounts? (what is classified as a mount)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phantax.1369

Phantax.1369

Now before we all start jumping up and down, this isnt another ‘this game needs mounts thread’ (IMO it does, but thats another discussion)

Id like to get some ‘official’ confirmation on what Anet considers to be a mount? !

Hello, I’m here to crush your dreams.

There will be no mounts coming with the Flame and Frost story arc.

Also, to address further speculation we’ve seen about the concept art for Flame and Frost (and what it may portend): there will be no Cantha and no dragons coming with the Flame and Frost story arc, either.

Thank you.

Now unless Im missing the whole point, we are getting ‘Riding Brooms’ as stated.
If you ride something.. its a mount. Doesnt matter if its fast, slow, flying or cosmetic. You cannot ride something and not class it as a mount !

Second, as stated above they are changing the concept art for Cantha and Dragons, ok fair enough. But the new wall paper shows a character riding a horse.
We have already had statements that horse mounts do not fit into the GW lore, so why have you given us a piece of art/wallpaper that shows a human/norn character who is riding a horse ? ? ?

Guys (Anet Devs) you can’t sit on the fence for ever. If we are never going to get mounts then fair enough just say so. If we are going to get them, just say that. ‘yes’ at some point in the future’ mounts will be available in game. You’re never going to please everybody all the time, thats life.

So… a definate confirmation of…
A- what you consider a mount
B- are we ever / never going to get mounts
… will end all this needless speculation ! !

The confusing messages and artwork you are teasing us with ATM isnt helping things. So go on guys, somebody take a stiff drink, hold your hand up and tell us straight !
We can take it, AND… we’ll still love you in the morning

We’re not retreating… we’re advancing in a different direction !
Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

(edited by Phantax.1369)

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

We have already had statements that horse mounts do not fit into the GW lore.

Source? There are a few NPCs talking about horses in the game.

But +1 for the Riding Broom, it’s really confusion.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

IMO, I would say a mount is anything that a player can ride that increases movement speed. Now, I know that in some games there are some mounts that are pure cosmetic and do not increase movement speed at all. I think that this might be an interesting thing for players to go after. Purely cosmetic mounts. Nothing more, nothing less. Just so your player rides instead of runs. No movement speed increase.

Also, I am not in favor of movement speed increasing mounts in the game. Adding these mounts decrease the size of the world(not literally) and that is something I do not want.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Waraxx.4286

Waraxx.4286

irl a mount is a thing you use to take advantage of the mounts speed , mass and/or defensive nature.

in a game however it’s just something you sit on/in. now if it gives any benefits to you is entirely up to the devs.

I’d love to have mounts purely for cosmetics. make them like the town outfit, if you get hurt you dismount. and you lose all skills and you gain nothing except for a awesomeness of dooom appearance. the charrcycle… amazing.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

By pure definition a ‘mount’ is anything that you can, well, mount. As in you can get on it and/or ride it.

By MMORPG definition, usually a mount is accepted as something you can equip, ride or get in, and increase your speed/movement.

Anet will most likely never say “We will never have mounts”. It’s much easier to say something may happen as to saying it will never happen. What if 90% of the population wants mounts in a year, then that 10% that doesn’t will be kitten because they out right said they wouldn’t have mounts. If they don’t bring in mounts than that 90% will be upset that they aren’t bringing in mounts.

Quit reading into the situation so much. The post was in answer asking if the broom was a segue into putting mounts into the game. No, it’s not. Enough

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Your shoes are mounts too.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Phantax.1369

Quit reading into the situation so much. The post was in answer asking if the broom was a segue into putting mounts into the game. No, it’s not. Enough

I wasnt ‘reading’ anything into the situation. A Dev quoted that the new content will not contain any mounts, yet they are giving us the ‘Riding Broom’
If you take my question litterally, what do they classify as a mount its a very apt question.
How can we not be getting mounts if they are giving us a riding broom. what in hells name do they class as a mount then…lol ?
(unless that other guy is correct and shoes are classed as mounts…rofl)

Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Ok, the “broom mount” is a mount (at least for me) but one with a very limited use (at least if it’s similar to the halloween broom.) So it might be a mount but classifying it as a mount would make possibly two groups angry: those who don’t want mounts at all because suddenly there would be mounts and those who want “real” mounts meaning riding things which can be used all over the place and which are not town clothes because the broom is not a “real” mount. So they keep this thing unnamed which is a wise decision in my opinion.

I hope it will be a nice little cosmetic thing to sit on and zip around a bit within safe zones or towns. And if it must not be called a “mount” so the purists don’t get scared away so be it.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

BTW they never said the riding broom won’t have any speed advantage.
(Just saying)

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

(at least if it’s similar to the halloween broom.)

I think it’s this. A broom, non-halloween based, but with the same functionality. Simply a town-clothes toy. One that doesn’t force your face in a rictus grin!

Phantax.1369

BTW they never said the riding broom won’t have any speed advantage.
(Just saying)

Thats a very valid point, no they didnt.

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Quidditch anyone?

I have to say I am curious about the “riding broom” in the Flame & Frost article vs Regina’s statement about no new mounts. I do think it will be something similar to the witches outfit for halloween.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I think it’s this. A broom, non-halloween based, but with the same functionality. Simply a town-clothes toy. One that doesn’t force your face in a rictus grin!

What do you know what I grin about. Nah honestly I was pretty sad because I didn’t like the witch-costume and so didnt’ bother with it, but I didn’t know that it came with a broom!

Posted by: Praxis.6702

Praxis.6702

I am not in favor of movement speed increasing mounts in the game. Adding these mounts decrease the size of the world(not literally) and that is something I do not want.

If you feel this way, you don’t have to use a mount. Mounts existing in a game in no way require you to ride them if you don’t want to decrease the size of the world. Your logic, however, doesn’t hold up when it’s applied to preventing others from using mounts they’d like to use.

Also, your point isn’t very well grounded it seems. If you’ve played WoW, I’d hope you’d know just how well flying mounts influenced exploration, and how beautiful Outlands and other zones were. Mounts not only help with exploration, but also with immersion.

But again, mainly the point is, your opinion about what mounts do to the game just isn’t fair to cite as a reason that mounts shouldn’t be in the game at all. Moving faster means completing things faster, and doing things efficiently and completing everything is what a huge group of this game’s players is all about. Moving faster also means exploring more of the world faster.

LadyRhonwyn.2501

What do you know what I grin about. Nah honestly I was pretty sad because I didn’t like the witch-costume and so didnt’ bother with it, but I didn’t know that it came with a broom!

I only knew it came with a cat, and that was the reason I got it But a broom as town-cloth toy, I’d buy immediately!

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

I only knew it came with a cat, and that was the reason I got it But a broom as town-cloth toy, I’d buy immediately!

If you played GW1, and you got enough HoM points you get a sweet tabby cat!
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orange_Tabby_Cat

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: KevinEvo.7061

KevinEvo.7061

I personally would have rather had some sort of indepth mount system, rather than the waypoints we have. They should have put in a few main ones and had ground mounts. The reason they didn’t want mounts was so people couldn’t skip things, but that’s exactly what having waypoints everywhere does.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Your shoes are mounts too.

Exactly, and what is the purpose of using shoes? To walk/run in them!

I’m not fast with the whole mountable items in GW2. If it happens it happens, if not then were back to square one.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

We have already had statements that horse mounts do not fit into the GW lore.

Source? There are a few NPCs talking about horses in the game.

But +1 for the Riding Broom, it’s really confusion.

There shouldn’t be. 7 Years of Gw1 and 5 months of GW2 and there have been exactly 0 horses with whole lot of dolyaks and few sparse oxen. We even had a few dwarves on drakes, but no horses.

We have Iron Horse Mines, but there has never been an actual horse in the game.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

What is classified as a mount?

The witch’s Broom is a mount.

Nuff sed.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

LadyRhonwyn.2501

If you played GW1, and you got enough HoM points you get a sweet tabby cat!
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orange_Tabby_Cat

I have that tabby cat and I have a mini stalker too (had to buy one as soon as I found out it was there), but this black cat is a third cat (my first being my own pet stalker).

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

so having a mount with 33% movement speed will make the world smaller but running with a 33% movement speed doesn’t?

i hope to one day hear a logical argument against mounts, because up to now i have not heard a single one.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

so having a mount with 33% movement speed will make the world smaller but running with a 33% movement speed doesn’t?

i hope to one day hear a logical argument against mounts, because up to now i have not heard a single one.

The only reason I wouldn’t want mounts is because I don’t want it to lead to mounted combat. However, I’m okay with the idea of mounts in general.

Right now though if you get hit you’re put in combat, which lowers your speed. If there are mounts and you are mounted, will you get knocked off? will you be knocked down? will you just be slowed? etc.

If you get knocked off well, that would be pointless in PvE since there are mobs everywhere. If you don’t get knocked off that would be unfair in WvW. If they could seperate it from WvW I think it would be best. Although I want mounts in WvW, it would be too hard to balance/code it for the differences.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

• “you” in the following refers to the group context, not an individual.

The other argument is ‘why the fascination with mounts?’ GW has never had mounts for players in the way that you want them. Is it because they’re available in (what you perceive) most other mmo’s (they’re not btw)? Is it because of that that you think it is a standard feature?

Mount: Something you get on top of, specifically to ride as a form of transportation.
If it disappears when you enter combat, it’s not a mount, it’s a costume.

I don’t understand the confusion that arises when they show concept art either, it is ART, not an artistic duplication of an actual area – have you not seen concept art? there’s tons of it for GW that doesn’t exist in the game. It isn’t something you scrutinize and analyze, it is just art – beautiful art.

I don’t want mounts, I want them to stay true to the roots, would be great if they either added horses or changed some names to dolyak or something that actually exists in the game world.

ophidic.1279

We have speed boosts and waypoints, Sounds reason enough for me.

All the people demanding mounts don’t care about travelling, they care about showing off with it… i’m pretty certain.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

There’s a mount in the game that any player can climb on top of.

It’s called Mount Maelstrom and it’s a giant volcano in one of the zones near Orr.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

Guild Wars 2 does have cosmetic mounts but not effective mounts as in they go faster than running speed and can take damage before they disappear therefore allowing you to move between a and b with less time wasting. Examples are horses in LOTRO and speeders in SWTOR.

GW1 is all instances and teleporting is free and there are no dynamic events popping up all over. There is no real use or need for mounts. In GW2 its mostly open world with events popping up all over the place but players ignoring large areas just to map travel to zones so missing out on events they would pass if they were riding a mount. There are so many missed opportunities for people to get involved in events when passing just because of instant travelling and no mounts.

People may say its not Guild Wars if it has mounts but that is like saying its not Guild Wars if it has open world. Really all the vibes I get from players and devs is some sort of stubborn ignorance to the idea of mounts that I do not understand considering the large open dynamic world of GW2 and the apparent problems with near empty zones that could otherwise see some traffic.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

The only logical reason as to why people are against mounts, is cause one, they weren’t in GW1 so they shouldn’t be in GW2 (which isn’t very logical). And secondly, the big one, we have a waypoint system instead (which isn’t much better cause of costs).

When you look at it from a GW1 player’s perspective, they see things as it was in GW1. Lore or just game wise, Tyria has never had people riding on mounts. In other games, they see the harm that FLYING mounts cause and they reject any form of mount because of that. Ground mounts aren’t an issue as a regular speed boost will do the same thing that a ground mount can do. Just a ground mount has more flare.

The other thing, is we already have a waypoint system. The downside to this though, is the costs. With Waypoints, you have to always pay money to travel around, and it can get pretty darn expensive when you reach the higher levels (3-5 silver a waypoint). For some, this actually deters them from going out in the world cause they don’t want to pay the costs to port around. But then you have mounts. They are a one-time charge and then you can use it to go anywhere. It gets you around a bit slower than a waypoint would, but it is free of charge after the initial purchase. So no more wasting money to waypoints at the sacrifice of convenience.

But I think that is the issue. They use these waypoints as a gold sink (among the tons of gold sinks already in this game). If they released mounts, players wouldn’t need to pay to travel anymore as they can just purchase a mount and ride that everywhere. The only time they would pay is to switch maps.

So currently the only “logical” reason as to why we don’t need mounts, is because we already have the waypoint system. It makes mounts obsolete. Think of it this way. Mounts are an outdated form of travel. We have advanced to a waypoint system that gives instant teleportation. Why use an outdated form of transportation when we have a better more efficient one?

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

joneb.5679

The Guild Wars 2 world has only basic background lore in common with GW 1. There are no firearms, open world, swimming, underwater combat, jumping, and more skills, a different skill bar, secondary professions etc etc in GW1.

Why use mounts as there are waypoints. Why use guns as there are bows and staffs. The Guild Wars 2 world has many options and fast mounted travel makes sense as one of them purely because it can open zones up to traffic from people rushing around and maybe stopping for events.

As for waypoints being a money sink, so can mounts be if Anet so want them to be.

them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

The Guild Wars 2 world has only basic background lore in common with GW 1. There are no firearms, open world, swimming, underwater combat, jumping, and more skills, a different skill bar, secondary professions etc etc in GW1.

Why use mounts as there are waypoints. Why use guns as there are bows and staffs. The Guild Wars 2 world has many options and fast mounted travel makes sense as one of them purely because it can open zones up to traffic from people rushing around and maybe stopping for events.

As for waypoints being a money sink, so can mounts be if Anet so want them to be.

But why would I want to mount up to run to an event, when I can just waypoint there and get there faster? If I have to ride there on my mount, I might miss the event cause I have to dodge mobs and deal with terrain. Instead, I find the nearest waypoint, and bam, I’m there. Using a mount in that situation would hinder you, not make it easier.

And don’t give Anet ideas on more gold sinks lol. That’s all we need:

“Introducing mounts! For those who don’t like waypoints, there is a slower method of travel you can take! It only costs 100g and then 1 silver will be deducted from your inventory every 10 feet you travel to make up for the cost of you not using waypoints.”

Yeah, no.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

joneb.5679

But why would I want to mount up to run to an event, when I can just waypoint there and get there faster? If I have to ride there on my mount, I might miss the event cause I have to dodge mobs and deal with terrain. Instead, I find the nearest waypoint, and bam, I’m there. Using a mount in that situation would hinder you, not make it easier.

And don’t give Anet ideas on more gold sinks lol. That’s all we need:

“Introducing mounts! For those who don’t like waypoints, there is a slower method of travel you can take! It only costs 100g and then 1 silver will be deducted from your inventory every 10 feet you travel to make up for the cost of you not using waypoints.”

Yeah, no.

That last chapter of your reply is far too cynical and a bit of a mad exaggeration I think.

Let me clarify the suggestion I made was not to use mounts to get to a particular event fast but to comb a large area of Tyria fast looking for ongoing events, especially group events that have decent number of people involved to attempt to complete. As far as I know except for dragon timers for the big events the only other way to know about an event is for someone in your zone posting it or running across them as you explore.

Mind the key word here is explore and not just for map completion. This is Anets purpose for Guild Wars 2 and this just makes it more efficient and more likely than it is now in my book. If you used waypoints to go everywhere you traveled to each and every event and zone always with little running you would eventually spend a small fortune.

There are certain periods such as night when the population is so low running around a zone you may not get a chance to do an enjoyable group event unless you struggle solo if you can cope. Riding around Tyria on a much faster mount would allow you to cover more zones with more chance of coming across a populated event and in turn more player co operation.

Also lets point out some servers are more heavily populated than others so foot running may serve you on the massively populated ones. However on my server Gandara I find that my thief can run fast all the time but still at certain times struggle to get a populated event. My ranger struggles very badly speed wise and could do with a mount or a buff.

And heres the thing Guild Wars 2 culture is so rich for creative mounts ranging from riding drakes to Asura inventions for land and water, Charr steam inventions and so on. The opportunity is wasted right now and really I question the mindset against mounts for THIS game.

The argument against ranges from a player just not liking mounts which is down to personal taste to cynically complaining its going to cost money, denying that they work well in other games and lack of vision in seeing how they fit in to Guild Wars 2.

ophidic.1279

Since mods closed the last 3 mount threads, this should be closed as well.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

If they do add mounts, maybe it could only be unlocked for your account by doing world completion.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

are you serious or just mentally ill? ^

Amos.8760

Assuming you’re replying to me, yes I’m serious. If they want to make sure players see the world instead of skipping over all of it, why not make seeing the world a prerequisite before being able to use mounts?

I’ve not quoted your post, just in case you’d like to take this chance to edit it.

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

Assuming you’re replying to me, yes I’m serious. If they want to make sure players see the world instead of skipping over all of it, why not make seeing the world a prerequisite before being able to use mounts?

I’ve not quoted your post, just in case you’d like to take this chance to edit it.

mounts for one are a stupid idea. why? because like wow they are glorified gold sinks that serve no real purpose other then for people to say “im better then you.” which you can do by dying your ascended gear black or white.

I dont need some dragon or fluffy cat in my way as I am walking through an epic LA scene. or in rata sum.

What they should do is take the ascended and exotic gear and spread it out over trophies like this. over achievements.

Amos.8760

mounts for one are a stupid idea. why? because like wow they are glorified gold sinks that serve no real purpose other then for people to say “im better then you.” which you can do by dying your ascended gear black or white.

I dont need some dragon or fluffy cat in my way as I am walking through an epic LA scene. or in rata sum.

What they should do is take the ascended and exotic gear and spread it out over trophies like this. over achievements.

I never said mounts were a good idea. Just tossing some ideas around because this is was a civilized conversation. The last few times Anet has mentioned mounts, their word choice (which is all carefully reviewed before posting) leads me to believe mounts will be in the game at some point – or at the very least is something they refuse to rule out.

Also – neither ascended gear nor black/white dyes are tough to get. I play pretty casually and have all that (including 9 extra stupid rings taking up bank space). The game just throws rewards at you for playing it.

Posted by: anonymouse.9053

anonymouse.9053

I wouldn’t use mounts. I’m always too busy killing, looting, or harvesting. I don’t miss mounts at all, except for WvW when I have to run back from a map point.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

The only reason I wouldn’t want mounts is because I don’t want it to lead to mounted combat. However, I’m okay with the idea of mounts in general.

Right now though if you get hit you’re put in combat, which lowers your speed. If there are mounts and you are mounted, will you get knocked off? will you be knocked down? will you just be slowed? etc.

If you get knocked off well, that would be pointless in PvE since there are mobs everywhere. If you don’t get knocked off that would be unfair in WvW. If they could seperate it from WvW I think it would be best. Although I want mounts in WvW, it would be too hard to balance/code it for the differences.

most games don’t have mounted combat. i personally don’t want it.

give mounts a health bar that goes up with levels and allows it to absorb some hits before it dismounts you. most games use this system and it works fine. in combat movement nerf is something i hope to see removed one day as i don’t see what it adds beyond annoyance.

as for mounts being lore-breaking… nothing can break lore when it can simply be revised. it is called fiction people, and it is made up.

also, this is not gw1 so stfu. this is a new game and thus should have new aspects. if you want gw1 then go play gw1. it’s about progression, not regression. if you fear change then don’t do any new things, but don’t spoil it for everyone else simply because you have issues.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: adrianvaliance.6271

adrianvaliance.6271

Hi just got to 80. I think this game really needs “mounts”. And on my way levelling to 80 through questing and waypoint travel system get’s expensive after a while. And even short travel at running pace can be of an annoyance for some people. This game really needs mount it’ll make it a perfect MMO! A better idea would be mounts with customisable bags and what not and dye options would also make it cool