Movement to slow in this game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: deathklock.4961

deathklock.4961

Why is movement so slow in this game? I play this game and rift, when i play rift then play this game i feel like i am wearing lead boots, even with speed buffs ect, it is still way to slow, i know all the cry babies in this game dont want mounts, butt at least we should get a perma speed base buff of 50% at least in wvsw, since i spend more time running around from point A to point B, than actually fighting.

Getting to point A to point B faster does not take away anything from the game, if you think it does, walk to work tomorrow instead of driving and then reply.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Walking to work would probably get me fired as opposed to driving 16 miles to get there. So….

I’m not sure what your point is in that. Movement speed isn’t slow. Get used to it before you criticize it and compare game x to game y and attempt to “force” the developers to make their unique piece of art like production game y.

(edited by Viking Jorun.5413)

deathklock.4961

Compared to every other game it is slow, and how would moving faster affect your game play? Or do you just like taking forever to get places, hence the walk vs drive analogy.

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

I’m just going to pay the 3 silver to waypoint to work tomorrow, thanks.

Viking Jorun.5413

I’m just going to pay the 3 silver to waypoint to work tomorrow, thanks.

Quoted for truth. The reason you have to walk everywhere initially is to at least experience the world once before you waypoint about. Take it in. Enjoy it.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Increasing movement speed, and shrinking the size of the map is basically the same thing. If anything, most people want bigger maps, not smaller ones.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I don’t run in-game, I walk. And I rarely use waypoints. More players should walk. It would add a lot to the game’s ambiance.

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I don’t run in-game, I walk. And I rarely use waypoints. More players should walk. It would add a lot to the game’s ambiance.

I walked about 50m in L.A. last night for a bit of roleplay. It looked and felt magnificent!
I would trade half—but only half—of the game’s waypoints for a speedy mount.

deathklock.4961

I am mainly talking about wvsw, were you cant youse way points half the time because there contested, most of my wvsw experience revolves around running around at subpar speeds, and as far as being faster some how makes the game world smaller is stupid, in that case,why not just slow us down even further, in you head that would make the game world bigger?

Seriously getting into battle faster is not a bad thing.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Yes it is a bad thing. If you just had an endlessly replenishing zerg, then it would take a lot of strategy out of the game. It would be less of an objectives gameplay, and more of some big silly deathmatch sort of gameplay or some such. Having everyone able to jump right into the fight right after they die just means that it would give even more power to boring old zergging tactics. If you want to always be close to the action, try sPvP.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Only that that really bugs me is the in-combat move reduction. There is nothing and I mean nothing, that makes any sort of sense about it.
It drives me nuts to have to run and dodge through mobs to get hit once and have deal the CC/pinball game GW2 turns into.

Devona’s Rest

NewTrain.7549

I am mainly talking about wvsw, were you cant youse way points half the time because there contested, most of my wvsw experience revolves around running around at subpar speeds, and as far as being faster some how makes the game world smaller is stupid, in that case,why not just slow us down even further, in you head that would make the game world bigger?

Stop dying so much.

deathklock.4961

Yes it is a bad thing. If you just had an endlessly replenishing zerg, then it would take a lot of strategy out of the game. It would be less of an objectives gameplay, and more of some big silly deathmatch sort of gameplay or some such. Having everyone able to jump right into the fight right after they die just means that it would give even more power to boring old zergging tactics. If you want to always be close to the action, try sPvP.

It dosent have to be warp speed,just faster than it is now, i can not believe there is people that like to move slow.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Seriously, are you even able to see another viewpoint than your preconceived wrong one?

Zipping around like a tick on speed is bad, mmkay?

Because then everybody can do it, mmkay?

That means everybody can move super quickly to where everybody else already is, for no cost!
This already is happening in PvE with the daily boss-chest Zerg, but at least at a cost.
But it would be especially bad in WvW.
If you don´t understand why, then that´s your problem.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Lol. Movement from place A to B is already way too fast in WvW. The maps should be twice the size to allow some kind of strategy. Currently it’s just a zergfest, as one big zergball can easily respond to practically any threat anywhere on the map.

One – Piken Square

(edited by Tom Gore.4035)

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Lol. Movement from place A to B is already way too fast in WvW. The maps should be twice the size to allow some kind of strategy.

Exactly.
Frankly the current 4 maps should be merged into one, but Anet´s hardware is already at a limit with the current kindergarten maps.

Polish > hype

Posted by: knyy.6427

knyy.6427

Only that that really bugs me is the in-combat move reduction. There is nothing and I mean nothing, that makes any sort of sense about it.
It drives me nuts to have to run and dodge through mobs to get hit once and have deal the CC/pinball game GW2 turns into.

i feel the same!

Posted by: TooNu.4530

TooNu.4530

In WvW you would move 50% faster when? from the start to the first time you enter combat? or a predetermined battle point on the map? so the server has to determine where the battle is? Or did you plan on this speed buff magically “just working”.

What if you run with this speed buff and somebody wants to fight you whilst you’re travelling at this higher speed. How would you compensate for the difference in latency times between the 2 people, how would you avoid people avoiding fighting due to running 50% faster. Do you automatically gain this 50% movement speed buff upon leaving combat? Why do you want this “warp speed” effect anyway? If you can’t deal with the fact that your avatar is not supposed to be moving that fast anyway, maybe you are playing the wrong game.

This is a bit of a silly idea really isn’t it? and you haven’t thought it through, you’ve just thrown your brain-fart onto the forum as some form of frustration venting.

0/10.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

i know all the cry babies in this game dont want mounts

How exactly does not wanting mounts make someone a cry baby?

Now back to your thoughts on movement speed. Stop being a cry baby because you feel movement is too slow.

The Burninator

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

i know all the cry babies in this game dont want mounts

How exactly does not wanting mounts make someone a cry baby?

Now back to your thoughts on movement speed. Stop being a cry baby because you feel movement is too slow.

because his whole post oozes “I cannot see other points of view but my own”.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I feel like people wanting to move faster are crybabies.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

You know, I actually like OPs idea about speed buff in WvW only. Let’s implement this!

And whats up with like half the classes having a passive speed buff and the other half not. Makes for extreme jealousy when I’m trying to run next to someone haha. Sure I can keep popping speed buff skills, but a passive is so much easier!

IMO passive speed buffs should be in one of the trait lines. Like the 50% falling reduction trait.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

deathklock.4961

Most of you guys are clueless, for example in Rift your movement speed in conquest is 10x faster than it is here, guess what there is still strategy, it dosent become just a big deathmatch, i played daoc and warhammer for years also, guess what, moving faster did not cut down on your so called strategy.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I just hate how slow you’re when in combat… am i riding an invisible turtle or something? its so slow that tones of jumps i can’t even make without swiftness, ridiculous and i never get used to it

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: RiWiJo.7502

RiWiJo.7502

I don’t think the devs set movement speed based on what other games have but instead set it based on what is most fair for most players in the GW2. I know for a fact that in WvW movement can be hectic and difficult to keep track of. If movement speed were much faster it would nullify the ability of commanders to direct their teams teams properly.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Most of you guys are clueless, for example in Rift your movement speed in conquest is 10x faster than it is here, guess what there is still strategy, it dosent become just a big deathmatch, i played daoc and warhammer for years also, guess what, moving faster did not cut down on your so called strategy.

Most of the people here have given you perfectly VALID reasons for movement speed. But you have refused to to reason and keep quoting these “other” games which are NOT what gw2 is about. If these games are so good why did you come to gw2?

My 5 cents to it, increasing movement speed will not benefit anything in the game other than you own convenience at the cost of other balances.

WvW is a perfectly valid point by the way. There already is a huge zergfest in most high tier servers, increasing movement will only destroy whatever strategy that there was left.

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

The world would seem much smaller if movement speed were increased. In as much, the current speed acts as a time gate to content throughout the world.

This was also carefully balanced in terms of combat- effective weapon/skill ranges, swiftness, etc. If the speed were increased (especially combat speed), players would immediately have greater survivability and escapism, thus likely necessitating an increase in either weapon damage or range.

Viking Jorun.5413

The world would seem much smaller if movement speed were increased. In as much, the current speed acts as a time gate to content throughout the world.

This was also carefully balanced in terms of combat- effective weapon/skill ranges, swiftness, etc. If the speed were increased (especially combat speed), players would immediately have greater survivability and escapism, thus likely necessitating an increase in either weapon damage or range.

Imagine running alongside an elementalist using Ride The Lightning.

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

Well, maybe some people DO like taking forever to get to their destinations. You know, kinda like the journey being more important that where you end up.
Theres always street fighter for those who are too annoyed for RPG (exploring a world) aspect of MMORPG’s.

I am not playing this game for the fighting. I am playing this game for exploration, discovery, puzzles ON THE WAY to the fighting, and I’d rather not be doing it in fast forward.

NewTrain.7549

…i played…warhammer for years also, guess what, moving faster did not cut down on your so called strategy.

Bullcrap. You know as well as anyone else that Warhammer’s RvR was the worst zergfest imaginable. Trying to use Warhammer as an example of strategy is like trying to use Fat Albert as an example for athleticism.