My God, I have been to Rata Sum

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duzze.4068

Duzze.4068

So… why aren’t these advance little guys ruling the world? I mean jeezus they are so advance I would not be surprise that their pyramid was actually as spaceship…

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

because everyone else can crush them under a foot and they don’t work together outside of small krewes.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

They don’t play well with others.

They tend to shoot themselves in the foot.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

They’re all generally self centered and their egos are 10x their size and like to bicker among each other about who’s right or better. Pretty counter productive altogether.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

They aren’t interested in conquest, only science.
Also they aren’t exactly united, nor do they have a standing army.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Duzze.4068

Duzze.4068

Also wasn’t the Lizard people the bad guys in GW 1?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The lizard guys? You’re going to have to be a bit more specific here.

We had Krait that were foes in GW1.
We also had Naga that we fought.

They weren’t the “primary” foe though.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

You mean The Forgotten?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You mean The Forgotten?

Knew I was forgetting one.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

They may have amazing magitech but they also have no sense of safety precautions. Their stuff goes boom even when they don’t mean it to.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Because for an Asura, being an egomaniacal, psychopath is a given, but it does limit the ability to bond with others.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

For my small army of asura (see signature) only a couple have stuck to the asura stereotype. The rest are outliers and are more interested in bonding with others rather than ruling others.

So, there’s that.

Also OP, asura can actually sit in chairs, where other races can’t.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Asgards with big, floppy ears flying Goa’uld spaceships?

Posted by: Zangu.6750

Zangu.6750

Asgards with big, floppy ears flying Goa’uld spaceships?

Indeed

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

Because to an Asura, an 87.489641% chance of cataclysmic failure is well within acceptable parameters for any given endeavor.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Asura dont rule the world because they taste like beer nuts to norn.

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Norn aren’t exactly known for working together, either.

That seems to be a predominantly human, charr, and sylvari trait.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Norn aren’t exactly known for working together, either.

That seems to be a predominantly human, charr, and sylvari trait.

Norn do not need to work together. Each one, individually, can eat a lot of beer nuts.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior. Well, we surely do…

I made a wallpaper for my login screen with many the official Asura descriptions and quotes about the race, and one quote is:
“The Asura believe they are destined to rule the larger, less intelligent races of the world.

I am pretty sure Asura do not want an open fight for this, it’d be strategical very stupid, and that’s for Bookah, but sure want to more or less put themselves at the top of the other races.

Full quote again:
“The Asura consider many
other races beneath them—and are not afraid to tell them so at every opportunity.”

So as some people say they only want to care about science is right, that’s why the Arcane Council is not an option for many, but they are not just doing it for themselves, they, I’ll quote again – as far as I know I have those quotes from the GW1 and GW2 wiki – “Although some say the Asura have integrated into society, it would be more accurate to say they’re creeping over it like
ivy and moss, fingers digging into crevices where their magic can take hold..”

They just would not seek the open confrontation, and as the character description says: …In due time, all will serve the asura." In an archived thread, there has been a good discussions about this, and Asura would excell at self-defense with the possibility of moving their capitol (!) and high protective features, so they are the real opposite of the very openly aggressive Charr that would tell you in the first sentence they’d roll you down with their tanks and annihilate you with their gigantic mortars.

They just do it so subtle with their inventions and general intelligence. Waypoints and Asura Gates are a good argument to begin with (“they play a prominent role in most interracial dealings and travel.”).

Some more quotes:

“They view other races as merely pawns to be manipulated in Asuran schemes.”

“The asura have quickly established their intellectual and magical superiority over the other races and view them as useful primarily for heavy lifting, taking risks,
and asking stupid questions.”

“The arrogant asura prize intellectual prowess over all else.
They use their knowledge and skill with magic to assert
their dominance over other races.”

These quotes, as said, are all more or less official, ranging from the official Wikis and/or pages of 2012 about the cupcoming release of the game, where the races are being introduced.

Is it possible to make people dependent without actual force? Yes, look at Google, Facebook and Co. Turn those services off and you have people begging on knees. Turn off Asura Gates and Waypoints (as major reviving stations!) and you can stop any diplomatic course in a blink of an eye.

The Asura are the reason why I am here and I am, as my signature says, a huge fan of that race, and I have countless of saved PDFs and files about them and it’s obvious they arrogance and condescending attitude would sooner or earlier lead to strong disputes with the other races. Yes, many of those quotes say “…some races” and “….less intelligent”, but let’s not fool ourselves, pretty much everything is below Asura standards in their mind. Especially the playable races for sure. Just listen to many conversations, e.g. one in which an Asura says it’s a waste to let them use their weaponry and inventions – so even closed in by enemies the long-eared midgets still would rather die than handing over some of their inventions. (I think this conversation is in a small Orr camp with 2 Asura, a Charr and Sylvari).

Right now we have to fight off other things, that’s why we have to unite……………

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

There is actually a personal story questline that touches on the subject of world domination by Asura. I don’t recall exactly what you have to choose as your starting invention, I think it was that weird box.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Also, I forgot that of course Asura are able to be nice and friendly to other races, as example Jezza and Florggi from Guild Wars 1.

Florggi is the condesencending, “you ain’t worth it” sort of Asura (“Florggi will greet you with low rank Asura responses, regardless of your actual rank in the Asura title track”) while Jezza will always greet you nicely, no matter who you are.

Also, many disputes with Charr and Asura (a great combination by the way, funny and cool at the same time!) often lead to a third guy or girl chiming in with some reconciliation – often by fellow Asura (or Charr respectively).

This game just has a brilliant relationship of each race and all of them are cool and lovable – except for humans, they are just so average at everything it hurts – but man, I am a hardcore #Asuracist…

Excelsior.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

You mean The Forgotten?

Knew I was forgetting one.

That’s the whole point about them :P

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

There is actually a personal story questline that touches on the subject of world domination by Asura. I don’t recall exactly what you have to choose as your starting invention, I think it was that weird box.

You mean the infinity ball? I was watching a really old woodenpotatoes video a couple weeks ago that includes some talk about that exact story step.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

So… why aren’t these advance little guys ruling the world? I mean jeezus they are so advance I would not be surprise that their pyramid was actually as spaceship…

So, here is something to consider: the asura decided the outcome of the charr siege on ebonhawke, by allowing humans to ship supplies through the gates, but refusing to allow the charr to ship soldiers through.

If they are already deciding the shape of wars between other races — and it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to say, partly responsible for shaping the peace between them — are you sure they /don’t/ already rule the world?

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

So, here is something to consider: the asura decided the outcome of the charr siege on ebonhawke, by allowing humans to ship supplies through the gates, but refusing to allow the charr to ship soldiers through.

If they are already deciding the shape of wars between other races — and it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to say, partly responsible for shaping the peace between them — are you sure they /don’t/ already rule the world?

Ebonhawke was going to fall regardless and the asura gate might have been built when the treaty began. After all, Divinity’s Reach sent Ebonhawke no aid, and they were almost out of rock for their continuously bombed wall.

Also, charr invented rifles and tanks, not asura. Asura just know how to transform magic.

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

Posted by: Ookamikun.6472

Ookamikun.6472

asura are the second tier in the pecking order of anet favor, with sylvari being the first, so yeah, expect ass-pulls to occur