My Issue with the Skills

My Issue with the Skills

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kioe.5463

Kioe.5463

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the builds in this game are a little lacking in diversity. I mean in the first game you had thousands of skill combinations for each class while in this one the first half of your skills are locked in based on your weapons and the second half you pick from such a small pool of skills. I know its a new game and i’m sure we’ve got tons of new skills headed our way and i personally love this game i just feel its lacking the feeling of uniqueness the first game had. well that’s my side of the rant X)

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

you’re not alone my friend

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Yup. And wonder myself why you almost never use the offhand weapon. Seems there more to say “you can dual wield” then to actually be a useful thing. You use two weapons, you incorporate them into your attacks, not just using it to stun someone occasionally or whatever the secondary on a given weapon is. I have two daggers going, I’m using both of them, not just flailing with my right till it drops off.

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: TheVindelator.8239

TheVindelator.8239

More skills and weapons would make the game better.

Right now things get a little stale as in the time it takes to get from 1 to 80.

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Utility skills?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

I strongly believe that all the professions should be able to use all the weapons, both off and main, two and ranged. That or at least implement dual professions that share said weapons and skills.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: Alf.9137

Alf.9137

Diversity and new stuff is almost always good, imo.

I’d love to see new skills added, new weapons added and the potential for more builds.
I’d also like to see skills etc gained in different ways rather than simply accumulating skill points and spending them.. Unlocking stuff through quests, achievements, social interaction, training etc etc would perhaps add further depth to the game progression.

I have hopes we’ll see such great, new stuff added in future as it is still only months old.

:)

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: minion.6245

minion.6245

Diversity and new stuff is almost always good, imo.

I’d love to see new skills added, new weapons added and the potential for more builds.
I’d also like to see skills etc gained in different ways rather than simply accumulating skill points and spending them.. Unlocking stuff through quests, achievements, social interaction, training etc etc would perhaps add further depth to the game progression.

I have hopes we’ll see such great, new stuff added in future as it is still only months old.

:)

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Part of the fun of GW1 was getting out into the world and tracking down those hard to get skills. Im still kind of shocked they choose not to bring back such a great system from GW1.

I presonally feel like traits need additional skills or effects that make you feel far more unique DURING combat. Looks are great and all, but I have yet to really experiment with any greatsword builds on my warrior simply because there is really no diversity in combat with greatsword. Utilities might change it a bit, but honestly, every GS warrior is looking to drop a HB on someones face.

I am wishing that one day they will unlock the first 5 skills on the bar, and let us select form a small group of weapon based skills. I mean, GW1 went from being arguably the most diverse skill system in MMO’s to just about average in GW2.

Just my 2 cents.

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

The game need more type of weapons. Now we have the weapon “Sword”.

They can add some other types of sword that change 1 or more skills in the set making more variety of selections.

The Guardian’s Sword have: Sword of Wrath, Flashing Blade and Zealot’s Defense. If they add for example: Curved Sword. That remove Flashing Blade to add some range spell and make Zealot’s Defense>Zealot’s Offensive, a no channeling with less damage. This add some new strategy with minimal changes on the spell, only need to change the name or if want new 2d/3d.

Add spell between 31~80 can make the game a lot better too.

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

more stuff for the sake of more stuff just makes it harder for them to balance everything.

what ppl forget about gw1 is that while there were a lot more skills, a huge portion of them were downright awful. What they’ve tried to do by reducing the number of skills is remove the potential for builds that are much weaker or much stronger than the average build.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: DezzTheGreat.9745

DezzTheGreat.9745

I agree so much. I wish for so much more diversity in the game. GW2 is by far the best RPG out there. New weapons, skills, all of the above. Just sucks to have the same five moves from 1-80.

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

more stuff for the sake of more stuff just makes it harder for them to balance everything.

what ppl forget about gw1 is that while there were a lot more skills, a huge portion of them were downright awful. What they’ve tried to do by reducing the number of skills is remove the potential for builds that are much weaker or much stronger than the average build.

I know that they say that… but GW1 was way more fun with all the skills also i think it was pretty balanced and you even had dual professions, so it must not be so hard to balance GW2 with more skills. Keep in mind that every profession was used in PvP in gw1. So you can’t really say it wasn’t balanced if every prefession/class was used because it had it’s purpose. Also in PvE all professions had something they were good at, some more than others but still..

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: Galrenmar.7025

Galrenmar.7025

I know that they say that… but GW1 was way more fun with all the skills also i think it was pretty balanced and you even had dual professions, so it must not be so hard to balance GW2 with more skills. Keep in mind that every profession was used in PvP in gw1. So you can’t really say it wasn’t balanced if every prefession/class was used because it had it’s purpose. Also in PvE all professions had something they were good at, some more than others but still..

It was very well balanced, but with the sheer number of skills (at last count, there were 1300+ available), adding and balancing new skills, and making sure that each skill was sufficiently ‘unique’ to a given class, was a huge task.

Personally, I like the number of skills we have currently — it’s enough to be going on with, for the time being, but not so many that any particular class feels ‘samey’ when compared to another.

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

The problem with GW1 is that it was impossible balance. With GW2 they wanted this game to be an E-Sport. Well, I don’t think this is going to work out for them. There’s like what; 12 people playing SPVP? In total?

I say they dump the E-Sport and focus on the open world, dungeons and WvW.

Balance be kitten

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Keep in mind that every profession was used in PvP in gw1. So you can’t really say it wasn’t balanced if every prefession/class was used because it had it’s purpose.

While that’s mostly true in general across the last 7 years… there were plenty of periods where 1-2 builds dominated and where a few classes were just not competitive.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: Lilsteele.4567

Lilsteele.4567

I think the current skill system is a great basis for the future. The current selection of weapons is certainly enough for early levels. And I actually like the idea that the weapon determines your play style. Don’t forget that in most other MMOs, the weapon type is largely irrelevant, so everyone just goes for the highest stats.

I hope that future patches will add more weapon types that become available at higher levels. But other than that, I’m quite happy.

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Traits and slot skills create a large amount of personalization and customization. Finding the right balance between your trait selection, slot skill selection, healing skill selection, weapon selection, rune and sigil selection could take a minute if you don’t care, or hours if you want to create a ‘perfect’ build. There is no lack of skill diversity, only a perceived lack of skill diversity because people don’t put the effort into their builds like they should.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

My Issue with the Skills

Posted by: ForceTurtle.5601

ForceTurtle.5601

Has learning new skills on old weapons been discussed as an option. (i.e. a different skill path or replacement skills maybe by weapon achievements). There are only so many weapons they could use, but maybe weilding a greatsword with more support options (guardian) or a dagger with nature rituals (ranger), could be an interesting way to add more progression/diversity.