My Problem with GW2

My Problem with GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NathanCrane.2809

NathanCrane.2809

GW2 missed the mark for me, and here’s why. GW2 is the perfect game for the kind of player who likes to jump in to the game and just mess around. You can do anything at any level, you can wander about aimlessly constantly getting yourself into all sort of shenanigans, there is so much you can explore and participate in and most importantly, there is nothing you need to do. Generally, there is no real requirement that you need in order to participate in all the content.
But that system doesn’t work for me.

Leveling is easy so you can engage in all the end game content, but it’s also almost irrelevant. You can get better, but never OP enough that there is content that doesn’t apply to you. Getting gear is easy enough but also comes close to irrelevancy. It’s easy because crafted gear is on par with karma and dungeon gear. (True enough-i bought mine while they are still cheap, but the prices of 80 exotics are rising and will probably continue to rise as end game players continue to generate more money).

Let’s Compare to RoM (Runes of Magic) as it’s the only other MMO i played seriously and recently.
In RoM, leveling was hard. After i finished all the main quests, it took me over a month without resets to reach the level cap on ONE of my classes, in it’s dual class system. There was a great necessity to keep coming back in order to reach max level. And most importantly, when i reached max level, it was a huge accomplishment.
In RoM, getting the best gear wasn’t just hard, it was CRAZY hard. I had to gather mats for weeks till i could sell the mats to buy gear that could help me keep aggro in DoD (first dungeon that gave mentos ie. the dungeon tokens). Then, I had to farm DoD for weeks till i could get the mentos to buy stats to sell. (it had a complex system where you had to get 6 separate stats and then put them onto a piece of gear) Then, once i had enough money to get the stats/gear to run the end game dungeon, i finally started raking it in. THE POINT IS, there was a real necessity for me to keep coming back to make the enormous amount of money needed to run high end stuff.

In GW2 there are TWO main issues that I have (which are also real advantages to other people). A- Leveling is too fast. and B-Craftable gear is on par with Karma and Dungeon Gear.

I’m already max level. And There is no need for me to run dungeons 50 times to get the same gear which I bought on the AH that’s just as good. There is no need to farm events, because there’s nothing i need that costs Karma, and karma items cant be sold for gold. (seriously, i have like 100k karma and no idea what to spend it on) Which is a real shame, because call me crazy but i LOVE the karma system, and the dungeon system too. I like the idea of working hard and for a long time to get the best stuff, and this game comes so close to doing it perfectly. The only problem is, why should i do that? i already have gear thats just as good. If not better, since i can customize craftable gear with my own runes.

If craftable gear isn’t good, then crafting becomes obsolete. Except that in GW2 i dont think it would. If Craftable gear was only slightly worse then karma/dungeon gear. it would be necessary to buy the craftable gear in order to be good enough to run those events/dungeons.

I log into the game now, and on one hand there is so much i Can do, and on the other hand, there is nothing i Need to do. For the type of player who likes to just hang out and explore this massive world and all its fun little quirks and do all the accomplishments, and make tons of alts and complete everything, and collect all the cool looking skins, and buy ALL the dyes, then this Game is PERFECT for you. it does it the best out of any game i have ever seen, and this is just its first month, it will continue to improve as time goes on. But for me, call me old fashioned, but when i play a game i like to “win.” i know that makes me sound like a total d-bag, and i accept that, but the feeling of accomplisment in this game is lacking for me.

This post is getting too long. IN CONCLUSION, i still LOVE this game but I don’t think ill be playing as often as i was. I’ll definitely be logging in a lot because i love my guildies-KABAL-Sorrow’s Furnace (seed), and the dungeons and world stuff-jumping puzzles, exploring,achievements, world events, is very FUN. But theres little to compel me to come back every day, and to play till all hours of the night anymore.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: NathanCrane.2809

NathanCrane.2809

The Bottom Line is:

Leveling should have taken minimum twice as long.
Craftable gear should NOT be as good as Karma/Dungeon gear.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Soulwatcher.2604

Soulwatcher.2604

Your not the first person to claim leveling is too fast. That’s the major complaint from all of my EQ2 friends!

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Chaz.1835

Chaz.1835

I fine the system to be fine as it is while I am leveling, I am just taking my time questing and exploring the rich world anet set up for us and that is pretty fun. I find leveling to be fine the way it is, with how the system is set up a player can basically focus on whatever they want to level without losing much time allowing players to pursue their own interests (exploring, crafting, randomly walking in on events, dungeon diving etc) and I like that.

I guess when it comes to endgame though I can see a problem with not having much to do but the same can be said for any mmo. Once you reach the end of the game there just isn’t much to do anymore. It’s just kind of how things are until new content is released xD

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: GenericBox.1923

GenericBox.1923

Endgame in GW2 is not the same as any other game, because they have made the decision (wrongfully in my opinion) to not have stat differences in their gear. I have a full exotic set now, it’s only been 5 weeks.

Even more importantly, I am completely happy with how I look. Therefore there is 0 incentive for me to do anything anymore. I have 400 crafting, literally the only thing I could want to do is maybe grind/farm another Exotic set.

If stats are not going to increase until the next expansion (as I assume the level cap will increase), than what else? It’s not that there isn’t anything to do at endgame, every game has plenty of content to do. The question is : Why bother? — GuildWars 2 has reached that point already after just 5 weeks.

At least with other games, I still have a reason to grind out content even if I were to log back in now after not playing them for a month.

ArenaNet have made some fundementally bad decisions regarding endgame for GW2, and they will pay for it in the end.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: tzko.2370

tzko.2370

Pay for it how? Will you cancel your subscription now?

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Well, your comments are fair enough. I look at it differently, because I don’t just play for the rewards but I would like to see some more possibilities for karma.

I have a piece of karma gear, but don’t need more and the weapons we can get I don’t need either. This also means I don’t need to farm karma but as I do events all over the map I will end up with more karma. I don’t even remember if karma gear is bound on pick up so I would be interested in more variety in rewards and account bound items.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Menelik.8634

Menelik.8634

Out of curiosity, have you guys tried lvling with just WvW? I’m doing that with my second character. It is slower and I’m enjoying it.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

GW2 missed the mark for me, and here’s why. GW2 is the perfect game for the kind of player who likes to jump in to the game and just mess around. You can do anything at any level, you can wander about aimlessly constantly getting yourself into all sort of shenanigans, there is so much you can explore and participate in and most importantly, there is nothing you need to do. Generally, there is no real requirement that you need in order to participate in all the content.
But that system doesn’t work for me.

This is what I like most about the game. It is the perfect game for my play style. There are a lot of games that aren’t like this, and very few that are. I’m glad we have options.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

Dungeon exotic armors are not “better” stat wise than crafted exotics. They just look better. So you could actually craft all of your own gear as exotics and be on par stat wise with anyone running around in Dungeon armors. Karma exotics… same thing.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: funforums.4850

funforums.4850

My little piece of mind: thank god leveling is the way it is, because i’ve got a real life and I don’t wanna spend the first three months of my game in leveling up.

Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.5 GHz – 4GB RAM – GTX 470
Windows 8 Professional

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

There is something I think people are missing. For whatever reason the game simply isn’t that much fun after the 1st playthrough. GW1 has no loot carrots to chase, but it was fun. The classes were vastly more complex. UW and FoW were better than these hallway dungeons imo.

If the game was fun these threads wouldn’t pop up so much. The con of “the whole game is endgame” obviously didn’t work. Very few are interested in repeating mind numbingly easy events.

The problem isn’t really gear or progression, it’s a lack of fun things to do. Was the game worth the purchase cost? Absolutely. Just don’t be surprised people aren’t sticking around.

(edited by Gohlar.3671)

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

the skill system is boring for me, 10 weapon skills that cant be changed. :|

I was hoping they would have more weapon skills and you can choose the skills to make a build unique to you, but whatevs.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

Here are your alternatives: Kabal Online, Knight Online, Silkroad Online, World of Warcraft, Metin 2 asdfasdystdfuysd I’m sorry I can’t finish this list but you got the idea

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Arson.4189

Arson.4189

Sad this game didn’t live up to expectations. The list of things they missed is long take your pick. Nothing short of massive updates within a month will save it Really I wanted this to the last game I played I wanted to retire my gaming with GW2 I thought it would be around as long as WoW. I really dont understand how WoW has got it right but no other company in 8 years can figure it out or even come close. Been here a month and already Looking around for a new game to play seems like I only have one hope left.

Darkfall Unholy Wars. Any other suggestions? Im over carebear PvP games. I need UO DAOC what the hell is with this games today.

And call me crazy but Ive been a gamer since god 95 96? I don’t know if its me and Im just special but for some crazy reason it seems as if games have gotten worse with every passing year. Im not talking about the technical side of it graphics connections etc. Im talking about the FUN part of it. The adrenaline pumping side of it. It’s just missing in todays games.

(edited by Arson.4189)

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

MMOs became mass-market products, most people are casual gamers, therefor you get casual games. If you want hard-core, you need to pick a niche game.

Hardcore just takes too much time investment for most people. In most MMOs only a small percentage of the player base even touch the hard-mode content such as raiding.
GW2 is just the beginning of casual MMO design.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: MINKZILLA.6023

MINKZILLA.6023

You said it in the Beginning of your post, its not the game for you, and that fine we all like different games. So…….why the hell are you here complaining about it? Go play a game you like? We really don’t care why you don’t like this game. A million people have complained about it already, we definitely don’t need another thread like this.

I heard wow got pandas or something, go play that.

“Every quote you hear on the internet is true.”
-Abraham Lincoln

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

GW2 is not meant to have you addicted into unhealtily playing 25 hours a day chasing a number on your character and stats on your armor.

If you wish to do that destrimental, self-damaging lifestyle of game addiction, GW2 is surely the last game on your list.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Rich.9503

Rich.9503

Let’s Compare to RoM (Runes of Magic) as it’s the only other MMO i played seriously and recently.

If i recall it was one very long boring grind. I hope never to go back to those types of games again.

My Problem with GW2

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

GW2 is not meant to have you addicted into unhealtily playing 25 hours a day chasing a number on your character and stats on your armor.

If you wish to do that destrimental, self-damaging lifestyle of game addiction, GW2 is surely the last game on your list.

I’d like to seee someone play for 25 hours in 1 day.