My Stash Of Fancy Furniture Coins, Unusable

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nuka.6701

Nuka.6701

I collected over 2000 Fancy Furniture coins when SAB was released, and exchange around around 100 of them for Super Clouds but my hand got tired so I figured I could exchange the rest later. With the next update, that introduced the possibility to buy multiple items at a time, the vendor was also removed. I sent in a ticket asking if I could get my coins exchanged, but they told me I needed to wait for SAB to be released again.

I think this is quite silly. Now, I would understand if it were something like the red lanterns that you can buy with luck, because you can obtain luck at any time. But the Fancy Furniture coins can only be obtained during SAB anyway, and locking players out of exchanging them for clouds is just a slap in the face that says “Oh, you didn’t trade in the coins you earned? Too bad, wait a year to do so”

Edit:
Apparently you need to talk to the decoration vendor on a character that has the coins their inventory in order to see the option. But you can still buy only one at at time!

(edited by Nuka.6701)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You sure?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fion

Maybe the wiki wasn’t updated.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Well, it has been over two months, to be honest. And I personally don’t see a reason why you’d want to stash so many instead of trading them in once you get them.

and locking players out of exchanging them for clouds is just a slap in the face

I’ve only recently noticed more and more people using this phrase. Being unable to use a currency you personally stashed (without needing to) is hardly a slap in the face. I’ve been slapped in the face many times in my life, never once was it over furniture though.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

penelopehannibal.8947

You sure?

You can’t trade them in anymore, it seems (Upon my visit to Fion after you linked him) – He only trades in the Hot purchase and World Boss/Raid Boss tokens now.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

Wait for next year? o.o

Posted by: Nuka.6701

Nuka.6701

You sure?

You can’t trade them in anymore, it seems (Upon my visit to Fion after you linked him) – He only trades in the Hot purchase and World Boss/Raid Boss tokens now.

Actually, wow. Seems I just slapped myself in the face. Upon switching to my storage character (that actually has the coins), the option shows up. But, unfortunately, you can still only buy one at a time. The clicking begins…

Attachments:

penelopehannibal.8947

You sure?

Actually, wow. Seems I just slapped myself in the face. Upon switching to my storage character (that actually has the coins), the option shows up. But, unfortunately, you can still only buy one at a time. The clicking begins…

Ah, good news then! Perhaps it only shows up when you have them in your inventory? If that’s the case, then that’s weird. It shouldn’t be like that because there’ll be lots more people like you will be waiting until next year.

Edit: On the single purchase only part – it has to go into the guild storage once purchased, like basic decorations. Perhaps there’s a technical limitation to it? I don’t know.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Event currencies can only be exchanged if you have them on hand to prevent confusion and interface bloat.

The merchant doesn’t show you the option in an effort to reduce confusion during times when you can’t actually acquire the currency, and presumably so he can support a potentially infinite number of time limited currencies.

A new player looking to get a super cloud because he saw it on the vendor list and then being told “actually you can’t get the coins” only after consulting a wiki is a far more disappointing situation than someone who has coins, which tell you what they do, and you know what they do because you acquired them during an event for that exact purpose walking up to the guy and suddenly seeing that you can’t get a nonfunctional option when you don’t have the requisite currency.

It significantly reduces interface clutter on an NPC designed to take literally all forms of decoration tokens from now until infinity.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The merchant doesn’t show you the option in an effort to reduce confusion during times when you can’t actually acquire the currency,

At the expense of those who have the currency, but not on the current character. I agree that, if that’s the trade-off, better to reduce clutter on the vendor panel.

However, I can’t help but think there’s some other middle ground that would prevent the situation altogether.

One thing that ANet has done with some inventory-tokens (as opposed to wallet-tokens) is that you can double-click them to open a vendor panel. This is great for things like BL tickets/scraps, when there’s only one possible merchant (or list of items). I would hope that ANet would try to use this as often as possible.

(Of course, lots of people don’t think to 2-click tokens, but if this was a reliable feature, word would spread and people would try it first rather than running around trying to find the one vendor.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

But, unfortunately, you can still only buy one at a time. The clicking begins…

Hey, hope you haven’t done ALL the clicking yet. One thing that was pointed out to me is that if you resize the UI, you can often get the purchase and confirmation buttons to overlap. Yes, this is still a lot of clicking, but you can avoid having to shift the cursor back and forth!

G R E E N E R

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Probably needs a thread of its own but..
Exchanging raid tokens is a tedium one at a time.

Really wish anet would fix it so this vendor isn’t restricted to exchanging one at a time.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

At the expense of those who have the currency, but not on the current character. I agree that, if that’s the trade-off, better to reduce clutter on the vendor panel.

Is that really an expense? If you don’t have the item on the current character, you can’t use it anyway. Even with your click-to-spend solution this doesn’t change. You’d need to be on the character that possesses the item to click it.

The best solution is to stop ignoring the wallet for anything account bound stuff designed to accrue in stacks. They literally built the wallet to reduce interface clutter and headaches from tokens, yet they keep adding tokens without adding wallet support.

I can’t think of any good reason for all of the HoT tokens and festival tokens to be inventory items.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I can’t think of any good reason for all of the HoT tokens and festival tokens to be inventory items.

In principle, I agree that as much stuff should be moved to the wallet as possible, including account-bound, non-tradeable tokens of any sort.

However, the reason that a lot of games use tokens is that they are more memorable — people tend to devalue things that they don’t see in their inventory. For example, since dungeon tokens were move to the wallet, people forgot just how many they were getting and how valuable they were (in terms of either defrayed expenses on gear or to salvage for mats).

Mind you: I’d be perfectly happy getting a box (such as those that drop from PvP/WvW reward tracks) and having to open it to have stuff added to the wallet.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”