My Tomes of Knowledge will be useless?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Not sure if I heard that right, but from the AMA it sounds like they won’t do anything after level 80?

I have every char at 80 already, and 1 of each class…would that mean my 3 stacks of Tomes would be completely void and may as well be deleted?

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

We’ve known there would be no levels above 80 for some time now.

You can use 60 of your tomes to get a Revenant to 80 when the expansion launches. Besides that, they’ll give you some XP towards a Mastery once you’re at 80, though it’s not going to be anywhere near a full level’s worth.

Posted by: Kartoon.4291

Kartoon.4291

better eat em all now and buy up some blood stone shards and what ever else you can.

Zietlogik.6208

they’ll give you some XP towards a Mastery once you’re at 80

This was never confirmed, they only said that maybe you would be able to work through a mastery line first in order to use exp in addition to mastery points.

I was fully aware there would be no more levels, but it also granted skill points, which we now know are also gone wayward

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

If you dont plan to do more alts, just eat them now for skill points that will be converted into new currency later.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Wait for more clear info so I wouldn’t use them now

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Xiahou Mao.9701

This was never confirmed, they only said that maybe you would be able to work through a mastery line first in order to use exp in addition to mastery points.

You’re right, it hasn’t been confirmed. Someone reported getting a hold of a Tome of Knowledge during the open beta, and that using it filled a portion of their Mastery XP. There’s no guarantee it’ll stay that way, but I wanted to make sure that the original poster didn’t decide to throw out all his Tomes just in case that does stick.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

We’ve known there would be no levels above 80 for some time now.

You can use 60 of your tomes to get a Revenant to 80 when the expansion launches. Besides that, they’ll give you some XP towards a Mastery once you’re at 80, though it’s not going to be anywhere near a full level’s worth.

Looks like that won’t be true anymore. They must have decided against it.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=35818&storypage=2
“The masteries seen in the demo are just the tip of what masteries will be available at launch, and the team will have more surprises for players. We wanted to know if all those consumables, like Tomes of Knowledge and Writs of Experience, would help players unlock all of these masteries faster. The short answer is that they won’t. The experience bar is going away and is being replaced by the mastery training bar. This training bar is in no way tied to experience, but fills up by going out and doing stuff in the world. So any item that gives you experience won’t help you train masteries.”

Looks like it’s pre level 80 only.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Xiahou Mao.9701

Fair enough! Thanks for digging that up.

Zietlogik.6208

So basically, after this is in effect, all my tomes will more or less be useless then….but judging by their wording on the Hero Points blog, the scrolls will turn into the MF materials….

Still seems like a rally crap deal. I have way too many skill points already, all characters are 80, 650 Tomes, 1004 Scrolls…and already 1246 skill points on my main alone.

Any secondary use for these items would be sooooo appreciated

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

In the AMA stream they said at the end that Tomes will function exactly as they do now so long as you aren’t 80 yet. So they’ll bump your Rev to 80 if you so desire but won’t help post 80.

For skill scrolls, I think it’s time for me to research how to turn those into gold since there’s no reason now to spend them on unlocking skills for my alts.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

In the AMA stream they said at the end that Tomes will function exactly as they do now so long as you aren’t 80 yet. So they’ll bump your Rev to 80 if you so desire but won’t help post 80.

For skill scrolls, I think it’s time for me to research how to turn those into gold since there’s no reason now to spend them on unlocking skills for my alts.

r

Exactly. Run the alts around starter zones and grab the cheap points. The scrolls are just taking up bank space now.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

They’ll have to change something up in the sPvP reward track then.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Thank you, thank you, thank you for answering this. I wondered if key farming would be affected by this change.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.