My commander tag is disrupting my FOV

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azelroth.6801

Azelroth.6801

With the latest update – the commander tag is completely disrupting my FOV now. It never used to display above my head when I was tagged up and now it is and it’s constantly blocking my vision and disrupting my focus.

It’s completely irritating and there should be a setting which allows us to ‘hide personal commander tag’ or something to turn it off.

Who here agrees with me?

Discuss your thoughts on this change.

Azelroth [MoM] – Methods Of Mayhem
Commander @ Tarnished Coast

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of having that icon above my head. I don’t really see the point of it since I know when I have my tag turned on. I’m a big fan of the less stuff like that on my screen the better.

The Burninator

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

At least now you know what your zerglings had to put up with all the time, especially the ones that actually stacked on you.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

JustTrogdor.7892

At least now you know what your zerglings had to put up with all the time, especially the ones that actually stacked on you.

I see your jab. The commander tag is not just useful in WvW but it is a good tool for PvE. Otherwise it would only be usable in WvW. I often organize ‘newbie’ map tours of around a dozen players or so. It helps them follow me if they get turned around and there is a difference between another player seeing it over my head by my name and a big blob front and center on my screen over my head.

I think most people with tags don’t use them just to show that they have one. I never have mine on unless I am using to guide a group. I turn it off when I’m done and never have it on in cities just to show I have it.

For a game that prides itself on beautiful graphics I am not a fan of having more stuff on my screen that distracts me from that.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

as an asura, everything about my character is micro-sized, so it’s only a small problem :P

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Truly truly disturbing. You would think that Anet would try to decrease the amount of stuff in the screen… not increase it…..but then again…

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

This is a copy of my post from the WvW forums: see the bolded part and the comment regarding industry standard.

After playing since BWE1, and submitting multiple feedback tickets as well as posts on the forums, I still do not understand what seems to be ANet’s reluctance to provide an an on/off toggle OPTION for things such as commander tags, character names, titles, LS and personal story information.

It’s a pretty standard practice across the MMO industry.

Makes such a difference for the customer’s experience.

ps: Especially in cases where the new feature added overwrites existing gameplay. Providing a retroactive option is always a good idea to retain the trust of paying customers. and a reputation as a reasonable developer.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

For a game that prides itself on beautiful graphics I am not a fan of having more stuff on my screen that distracts me from that.

I completely agree, but have never had the option to turn off other people’s commander tags.

I would support an option to turn the tag off for oneself when such an option is added to allow players to turn off the visibility of others’ tags as well.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I’d like it.

Why would zerglings suffer? They need to know where you are. You don’t need to know where you are; you’re in the middle of the screen.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

JustTrogdor.7892

I completely agree, but have never had the option to turn off other people’s commander tags.

I would support an option to turn the tag off for oneself when such an option is added to allow players to turn off the visibility of others’ tags as well.

I agree there should be an option for toggling them off for everyone. However, you see me with my tag say 50 units away it is by my name and doesn’t sit in the middle of your screen when you turn. Me, I have a big blob in the middle of my screen now everywhere I go. Once again, a toggle on/off for everyone would be optimal.

The Burninator

Wanze.8410

I see your jab. The commander tag is not just useful in WvW but it is a good tool for PvE. Otherwise it would only be usable in WvW. I often organize ‘newbie’ map tours of around a dozen players or so. It helps them follow me if they get turned around and there is a difference between another player seeing it over my head by my name and a big blob front and center on my screen over my head.

I think most people with tags don’t use them just to show that they have one. I never have mine on unless I am using to guide a group. I turn it off when I’m done and never have it on in cities just to show I have it.

You are right, i didnt think of the pve aspect of the game.
To contribute something constructive to the topic, i dont see why Anet shouldnt give you an option to turn the tag off for yourself.

Ashen.2907

I agree there should be an option for toggling them off for everyone. However, you see me with my tag say 50 units away it is by my name and doesn’t sit in the middle of your screen when you turn. Me, I have a big blob in the middle of my screen now everywhere I go. Once again, a toggle on/off for everyone would be optimal.

Agreed.

Really my point wasnt directed at someone using the tags for their intended purpose. Its the people that sit on way points, hang out in town, etc that tend to bug me. If you are actually using them as a tactical tool in tactical play….good show.

JustTrogdor.7892

For those interested in what it looks like this is what commanders now see everywhere they turn. A big blob over their head.

Attachments:

The Burninator

Wanze.8410

For those interested in what it looks like this is what commanders now see everywhere they turn. A big blob over their head.

Isnt a big blob over your head what you paid for in the first place?

Ashen.2907

Sort of.

He paid for the ability to use a blob over his head, that other people could see, as a tool in organizing tactical play. Not for a visual distraction from his own perception of his character.

JustTrogdor.7892

No. I paid for a tool that will allow others to see where I am on the map and to be able to follow me more readily if they so choose. I don’t need to see it because I know when I have it on.

The Burninator

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

I can see why this was implemented. Players would sometimes forget when their commander pin is active due to it being in the boon bar. This change, however, supports the absent-minded much more than it does those who are playing hard.

I support the icon being removed from the FOV. I have been pinned up before when I didn’t mean to, and it takes a matter of minutes for guildmates or servermates to point that out to me.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

JustTrogdor.7892

Sort of.

He paid for the ability to use a blob over his head, that other people could see, as a tool in organizing tactical play. Not for a visual distraction from his own perception of his character.

^^^ This, he worded it better than I did.

The Burninator

JustTrogdor.7892

I can see why this was implemented. Players would sometimes forget when their commander pin is active due to it being in the boon bar. This change, however, supports the absent-minded much more than it does those who are playing hard.

I support the icon being removed from the FOV. I have been pinned up before when I didn’t mean to, and it takes a matter of minutes for guildmates or servermates to point that out to me.

IMO a better option would have been for Anet to handle it like they do with the musical instruments. Give the players that don’t want to see the tags in the mini-map, over players heads, etc. an option to toggle it off. Instead they put a big blob over my head as to say, “Hey idiot your commander tag is on.”

The weird thing is I’ve seen a lot of threads related to commander tags and what would improve them. I don’t recall any suggestions asking for the tag to show up in the FOV of the commander. Granted I may have missed it if those threads did indeed exist, but it just seems odd from all the threads I have read about commander tags the big blob is what was added.

The Burninator

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

I’m not a fan of your distracting tag either. Just turn it off. I haven’t bought a tag because I feel that they are annoying. Why should you be allowed to pay to disrupt my game-play and yet be immune from its effects?

This wasn’t the ideal solution (which would have been giving me a way to opt to not see your tag), but it is a bit fairer than the old system.

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m not a fan of your distracting tag either. Just turn it off. I haven’t bought a tag because I feel that they are annoying. Why should you be allowed to pay to disrupt my game-play and yet be immune from its effects?

This wasn’t the ideal solution (which would have been giving me a way to opt to not see your tag), but it is a bit fairer than the old system.

How is having my tag on when I’m leading a large group of people on a map tour disrupting your play? The worst that happens is you see it on your mini-map or over my head if you are near me. For me, it is over my head always on my screen. Even when you are in the same place as me you see it over my head but not everywhere you turn. That applies to WvW and PvE.

As I said, I agree that players should have the option to turn off seeing tags of commanders. I’m not a fan of having it all over my FOV when I am using my tag as it was designed. I don’t stand around in LA all day with my tag on.

Just turn it off.

I do when I’m not using it as it was intended. That doesn’t negate the fact that when I’m using it as intended I don’t need to see a big blob in my FOV. Is my tag when I am using it all over your FOV?

I haven’t bought a tag because I feel that they are annoying.

Sounds more like you have not bought a tag because you don’t understand that they are actually useful for people that know how to use them in WvW and or PvE, or you are just trolling. Trust me, I put a lot of thought in before I bought my tag. They are not cheap and I ultimately decided that not only myself but others would benefit from my having one and my using it as intended. I think a lot of people I have lead on map tours, skill point quests, and champ tours would agree that my investment was worth it. In fact, I have never profited from it but I use my tag to help others and that makes it worth it. I think most people with commander tags feel the same. It is the few people that troll with, “Hey look! My commander tag” that have skewed your perception.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

Sounds more like you have not bought a tag because you don’t understand that they are actually useful for people that know how to use them in WvW and or PvE, or you are just trolling.

You bought the tag but I am trolling, lol, such fail. I understand perfectly well how useful they can be. I even understand that they are most useful to the person wearing the tag. I’m absolutely not believing the whole “I’m just doing it for others” argument.

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

No. I paid for a tool that will allow others to see where I am on the map and to be able to follow me more readily if they so choose. I don’t need to see it because I know when I have it on.

Sorry but we don’t want to see a tag afk on the wp’s now you see how annoying is your tag.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Would be nice to have an option to only show on mini-map as well. That way if you just want to be a signpost you don’t disrupt others line of sight either.