My current flaws with the game (may contain spoilers)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eordos.8326

Eordos.8326

The game is epic i like it no doubt but i still fell like there is alot fo stuff done wrong. Its either flame legion, sons of svanir, bandits or the risen (especialy risen) throught the entire game (i dont mean literally but still its pretty much these 4). Story is not so good in a way that everything is left on a clifhanger and you just jump in a new story chain without real conclusion. Tybalt dies in a cheesy way and traherne is just boring and not as good as Tybalt. The “epic” Zhaitan fight was dissapointing. The pve and questing is an improvement but the boss tactics are pew pew and watch for the thing so it doesnt get you. world dragon bosses are epic for the first two times later on not so much due to standard mmo mechanics we see in all mmos. Questng is an improvement but Colins “Hey i swung a sword again” quote as much as he didnt want people to say that its still there. The questing is still collect 10 bearkitten but it doesnt tell you you have to collect 10 bearkitten and you get 2 more quest inside that one hear to complete but its stil the same. 9/10 for gw2 i still find it the best yet but it doesnt beat wow or tor on a some points (little points, gw2 still beats tor and wow in alot ways possible). It should have been a p2p game so the devs would focus even more.

edit: underwater combat is boring and uninspiring. Mostly due to scumbag mobs in later areas.
edit ": ive edited “like the rest of the game” part i didnt mean to say like the rest just the underwater combat stuff.

(edited by Eordos.8326)

Posted by: vee.1253

vee.1253

Spoiler warnings please!

My Guild Wars 2 blog. The best thing since iPhone 5.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/vee41

Posted by: zogrim.6925

zogrim.6925

Spoiler warnings please!

Seconded!

Posted by: Freshwater Kangaroo.8962

Freshwater Kangaroo.8962

I take it you watched Jesse’s Q&A?

Eordos.8326

I take it you watched Jesse’s Q&A?

I did but this is my opinion, some same thoughts as him but i didnt quote him.

Posted by: Freshwater Kangaroo.8962

Freshwater Kangaroo.8962

Oh, I didn’t mean anything negative with it. Sorry that it came out like that.

Eordos.8326

Oh, I didn’t mean anything negative with it. Sorry that it came out like that.

It didnt came out offensive dont know why youre saying sorry.

Posted by: Kelrick.3046

Kelrick.3046

Is the game epic or boring and not inspiring? Since in your op you say both ends of the spectrum.

Eordos.8326

Is the game epic or boring and not inspiring? Since in your op you say both ends of the spectrum.

Its epic with some flaws that are boring and inspiring but are not gamebreaking, as a whole game put together it is epic.

Posted by: AidanTaylor.3872

AidanTaylor.3872

European Community Manager

The game is epic i like it no doubt but i still fell like there is alot fo stuff done wrong. Its either flame legion, sons of svanir, bandits or the risen (especialy risen) throught the entire game (i dont mean literally but still its pretty much these 4). Story is not good in a way that everything is left on a clifhanger and you just jump in a new story chain without real conclusion. Tybalt dies in a cheesy way and traherne is just boring and not as good as Tybalt. The “epic” Zhaitan fight was dissapointing. The pve and questing is an improvement but the boss tactics are pew pew and watch for the thing so it doesnt get you. world dragon bosses are epic for the first two times later on not so much due to standard mmo mechanics we see in all mmos. Questng is an improvement but Colins “Hey i swung a sword again” quote as much as he didnt want people to say that its still there. The questing is still collect 10 bearkitten but it doesnt tell you you have to collect 10 bearkitten and you get 2 more quest inside that one hear to complete but its stil the same. 9/10 for gw2 i still find it the best yet but it doesnt beat wow or tor one a some points. It should have been a p2p game so the devs would focus even more.

edit: underwater combat is boring and uninspiring like the rest of the game. Mostly due to scumbag mobs in later areas.

Remember to use the [Spoiler] tag if / when you talk about plot or story, this will help those that may not want to know

Posted by: Oni.7451

Oni.7451

I dunno, I disagree with you in a few areas. While my main grudge is with the addition of the Ascended items, I’ve learned to live with them. But I have never seen why people have so many problems with Underwater Combat, Traherne, or the Zhaitan battle.

My only complaint regarding Underwater Combat is the lack of customization. They have given us all 1 option for it. Each class can only use 1 or 2 different weapons. This makes Underwater Battles seem a little less personal then the rest of the games mechanics. However, I have never seen it as boring.

As for Traherne, sure his voice lacks a little emotion, but I still enjoyed him as a character. But then again, I’m all about Sylvari. XD The main argument I have seen against him is that he takes over the story as the main character. I would have to disagree there. Guild Wars 2 is about unity, the power of the many working together to accomplish something great. This is very different then Guild Wars 1’s plot where you become pretty OP by the end. Traherne is just another character who’s just as important as you in saving the world.

As for the Zhaitan battle… I liked it. I know a lot of people absolutely hated it. We never actually lay a hit on him with our own sword. We have to rely on the power and technology of each race, order, and hero to achieve victory. To me, it represented the most core aspect of the story. “Compared to the dragons… you and everyone else are weak and powerless alone, however, we can overcome this weakness to achieve the impossible if we work together.” That’s what i get out of it.

Cheesy? Yeah! Nice? Yes!

Still… I would have liked to do more then just sit their and hit 2 forever. A little more movement, even if it war just maintaining something, would have made me feel more involved.

(edited by Oni.7451)

Posted by: lockheedlight.5910

lockheedlight.5910

I really hate how they killed off Tybalt. He was my favorite character in the whole game and Traherne is boring as can be. It is just so irritating that the one character I really enjoyed is just lamely killed offscreen. I wish they could resurrect him. I mean come on, we res people All the time in this game.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

oh it means that Tybalt is gonna die oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you ruined my life

Sorry I had to do it

BTW look OP’s posting date ; nice dig-up :P

(edited by Keiran.1896)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

As for Traherne, sure his voice lacks a little emotion, but I still enjoyed him as a character. But then again, I’m all about Sylvari. XD The main argument I have seen against him is that he takes over the story as the main character. I would have to disagree there. Guild Wars 2 is about unity, the power of the many working together to accomplish something great. This is very different then Guild Wars 1’s plot where you become pretty OP by the end. Traherne is just another character who’s just as important as you in saving the world.

As for the Zhaitan battle… I liked it. I know a lot of people absolutely hated it. We never actually lay a hit on him with our own sword. We have to rely on the power and technology of each race, order, and hero to achieve victory. To me, it represented the most core aspect of the story. “Compared to the dragons… you and everyone else are weak and powerless alone, however, we can overcome this weakness to achieve the impossible if we work together.” That’s what i get out of it.

Cheesy? Yeah! Nice? Yes!

Still… I would have liked to do more then just sit their and hit 2 forever. A little more movement, even if it war just maintaining something, would have made me feel more involved.

Totally agree with you. I hear alot of people dislike Trahearne for “taking over”. While to me it was much better that you aren’t the best and the greatest. It’s certainly a approach I liked.

I think I said it before though, that such a story needs more PERSONAL story and that alot of the story of YOUR character isn’t fleshed out enough to feel really connected to your character.

It feels like youre getting the highlights of you as a character. With a few important missions with NPCs that you meet once, meet again, and then they die. Alot of NPCs die in the end that you jsut met and that get a dramatic scene saying “You will be missed!” While you have not THAT much connection with them at all.

I think the personal storyline set-up allows for much more drama and character interactions and relationship building. The personal story for humans starts with a friend. Which you never see again when youre done with it. And there’s no feel of relation with these NPCs.

I understand that it’s still and MMO, but there’s too little lasting relationships within the game that keep being intertwined.

There’s always your race mentor then your order mentor. But once you enter a dungeon your race mentor acts like they NEVER even seen you. I haven’t actually tried talking with them, but still.

It’s all to the moment, and moments of nostalgia, so to speak, aren’t very common. Your “home” instance does get some of your allies in them, but there’s rarely any home feeling. Hell as a noble human you don’t even have your own noble house.

I think character development story wise is lacking. Yes you make decisions, yes you have different storylines. But in the end there’s no connection, little changes in your actual immediate playtime.

Gotta say, a deep storyline like that does take loads of resources for an MMO. But just some tiny surprises when you enter your home instance would be nice. Or make people go back to their home instance once they finished the storyline, with a good party going on. I just felt there could be more to it.

I missed that.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik