My early quips about this game. Only lvl 35

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Flett.1296

Flett.1296

-I feel like I am always playing by myself. Even when fighting something with a bunch of other people. I still feel by myself. As soon as what ever anyone is fighting is dead, it’s like magic everyone is gone. There is no dugeon for me to party up with people, no one want’s a low leveler in their group. The last mmo I played which was in 2007 was WoW and as soon as I hit 10 I could start running dungeons. Which I love running with partys and fighting bosses, for good drops.

-Fighting just seems hetic with dodgeing, runing away, and dieing. Most of the time your just kiting harder mobs. At lvl 35 I can barely tank a lvl 8 champion in hand to hand combat, thats ridic. The only reason people can beat champion mobs is beacuse a higher level person is there trying to do their map completion. Then when you finally do beat a champion your level, the drop is crap. They need to make champs to be able to be defeated by PC’s their level.

-I’m lvl 35 and my gear is just now changing, it took me 35 levels for my gear to look diff from level 5.

-I took note from the forum and started mineing, cutting wood, collecting plants and keeping everything that can be crafted.

-I just used everything I had at lvl 35 and it showed no reward. Did’nt level me up much or make me money. And then I found out I could only learn 2 proffesions. For the love of god give me more thread.

Provide feedback if you wish.

PS. I have a full time job and a girlfriend who hates video games and me playing them. This is why these begining levels ware so important to me. There easy is to get to and don’t take as much time. I hope to in some time gain a sense of community in this game.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

1. Sadly its just not worth it to bring a low level into any dungeon, maybe try and find a guild that will help. Loot drops are terrible through the whole game.

2. Combat in this game is more strategic its not just mash all you ablities, if you stick with it and pay attention it becomes very fun. Even though you are lvl 35 when you go back to a lower zone your stats drop to match the zone.

3. Not much for gear choices through the game they really need to add more

4. You can learn every profession on one character but only have 2 at a time, maxing out a crafting profession to 400 will only net you 10 levels.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Hi, I would suggest this thread if you are looking for people to do stuff with.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OPERATION-UNION-Bringing-Players-Together
It is a long thread so just introduce yourself.

You don’t say what class you play or even much about how you play.
Maybe i can give you some tips:
Your personal story rewards you with gear and useful items at the appropriate levels, often with unique skins that can look awesome.
When you complete hearts the quest giver aslo turns into a shop that gives cool gear and skins for karma.
When you complete and event, stick around to see if it continues, often it does, at the end the event guy turns into a shop that sells useful buffs/ cool novelty consumables.
Fighting in this game can be hectic especially if you come from playing other MMO’s. you have skills to escape, mitigate damage, deny attack and generally keep you safe.
That is in addition to dodge. It is very active but rewarding when you learn how it works.
You are never really supposed to tank anything- so it doesn’t really matter what your lvl is.
Crafting gives you 10 levels / maxed out craft so you will gain 10 game levels if you craft a profession to 400.
Lvl 35 is the first level you can do a dungeon I think- Ascalon Catacombs- check out the link I gave you.
I hope this helps

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: DukeDanger.8036

DukeDanger.8036

Hello Flett, I understand your frustration. I think it may come from predefined expectations of an MMO. In my experience GW2 has done a good job of breaking the mold. I’ll try to address some of the issues you mentioned with a different way to approach them.

- It’s kind of cliche, but joining an active guild will provide opportunities to explore the world with a group. Dungeons start at level 30, but a better approach is to think of the dynamic events as impromptu dungeons that appear in the world. The events with champion bosses usually take around 5 players to complete, and the karma received from them is used to purchase the “good drops” from heart vendors.

-The fighting style greatly changes with each weapon equipped as this changes your skills. All of the classes can be setup to be melee or ranged. I would suggest playing around with the weapon combinations as well as your other skills to accommodate the style of play you are looking for. At level 35 if you are fighting a level 8 champion you level is reduced to 1 level above the cap for that area. Chances are you are fighting this champion at an effective level of 9. The champions are intended to be group events.

-There are a few different ways to acquire gear looks, each way has a few sets with unique looks. The common ways are world drops, crafting, and karma. A good source to view these sets is http://www.gw2armorgallery.com

-You can have all of the crafting professions on a single character, but only two active at a time. When you switch crafting professions you don’t lose the progress made in level or recipes learned. It does cost coin based on skill level to change back though. Crafting is also much different in GW2, and takes some getting use to. Looking up a guide on crafting might be beneficial, once you get the hang of it I think you will find it very dynamic.

-I hope this helps you take a new look at GW2 so you can enjoy it as much as I do. I also work full-time and my wife hates video games too. I’ve found this MMO fits into my available playtime/style better than any other on the market right now.

Flett.1296

Thanks for some feedback guys.

Lvl 35 Charr Warrior

I have maxed everyone one of my weapons out, and what I use constantly is Great Sword always, my secondary is always a range which I switch back and forth between my rifle and long bow.

What I’m getting at is that I’m suppose to be a warrior run in and fight my butt off and be able to take a hit. But more then half the time when I fight champions, I’m shooting my bow and dodgeing. Then only times I run in to fight is when my health buff and invunerable buff is ready. That is just not warrior like, to run away when you get hit.

Guys, I do know that the levels do decrease when I change zones lol. But still my armor and stat buffs should be able to handle a lvl 8 champion. I also call bs on taking a champion down with 5 PC’s of the same level of the champion, unless we want to kite the whole time.

When I say fighting is hectic it’s because all I see everyone doing is range class on champ mobs. Which does not seem right to me. The game should let your up close charcter players do just that. If I go in and get hit by a champ mob I’m dead in 1-3 hits.

I like the story line so it’s always up to date with my level. The gear I get from that or the karma people, is never really as good as the gear I get at the AH.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Champions are meant to be HARD.. as in too hard to solo, even if you do out-level them.

They’re meant to be fought by groups, that’s why all their events are labeled [GROUP EVENT]

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Morrigan.2809

About the classes since you seem to like melee.
Warriors are very powerful but I can’t really play one at all-so can’t help you there.

If you like melee however there are other classes that can fight at melee range very very effectively. Dagger/ Dagger ele comes to mind.

Most classes have a gap closer and getaway skill anyway and you would use those rather than just stay in range combat for instance.

Each class have many different options and play-styles, maybe warrior is just not the class for you? Warrior in GW2 doesn’t really play like your classic warrior.

Sorry if this makes no sense but I play a Mesmer main, ele, mesmer, engi, thief- also it is late…

Gunnar’s Hold

Flett.1296

Champions are meant to be HARD.. as in too hard to solo, even if you do out-level them.

They’re meant to be fought by groups, that’s why all their events are labeled [GROUP EVENT]

But they should’nt be to hard for a group of CP’s the same level as the champ and we should be able to take more then 1-3 hits. I have only seen a champ go down because there where CP’s 10+ levels higher then it taking it down, can tell by the gear. I guess what this game needs is a healing class.

Posted by: Dantaeus Heardt.5730

Dantaeus Heardt.5730

Hey Flett welcome to GW2! I recently rolled a Charr Warrior and one thing I found very important in developing the character is toughness. If you don’t have good toughness you will be downed alot, I believe toughness falls under the Defense Trait line. Also the regen trait helps out in staying alive in battles. Check out different crests & medallions for your armor slots many of these can help improve power, crit, toughness, etc. As for champions GrandmaFunk has a valid point, they are meant for group activity not to say that it is impossible to down one solo but it’s generally easier with a group and even better when the group plays with a team mentality.

Dantaeus X Heardt Ranger Lvl 80
Zhaitans Tears Guild[ TWS ] NSP

Morrigan.2809

But they should’nt be to hard for a group of CP’s the same level as the champ and we should be able to take more then 1-3 hits. I have only seen a champ go down because there where CP’s 10+ levels higher then it taking it down, can tell by the gear. I guess what this game needs is a healing class.

You can’t tell by the gear because you can kit a lvl 1 character like a lvl 80 if you had the Transmutation stones. :P
You will never have anyone more than 1-2 lvls higher taking a champ because you get down leveled to zone level.
The other day I was in Queesdale on my 80 when the Shadow Behemoth went up- so I went- why not?
I was level 9 or so for that event.
We were about 10 -20 people and many of them went down- I could res them and it was great fun.

The other day my same level 80 was in the vicinity when Claw of Jormag spawned.
So I went.
We were about 10-20 people and many went down often, we ressed eath other and it was great fun.
See how it goes?
Dying is not the same stigma in GW2 as in other games. You die- it happens. That is why we can res anyone, anytime.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Flett.1296

I advise you to read through some popular topics in the class forums so you’ll get a general idea of what is what. Due to eliminating the holy trinity (heal, tank, damage dealer) this game has changed around classes which means that in theory everyone is capable of everything. Reality is that some classes perform in certain roles and situations better than other.

Warriors for example are (funnily enough) great ranged damage dealers. Better than Rangers actually. Necromancer have a sizeable health pool and good tanking capabilities despite being magic users and wearing cloth.[/quote]

When I read the class specific forums. No one talks about pve abilities lol. All about WvW and PvP. I heard we’re glass cannons in that, but I expected that because we run and get attack by a bunch of people and take a few out. just was’nt expecting to be a glass cannon in pve.

Thank you to most of you. To how you have approached the subject matter. Would like to add, I’m not going to stop playing the game. Because I am having fun. I just had some quips.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Not to turn this into “L2P”.. but it seems like you have a few misconceptions to unlearn.. and you need to get better at the game.

You state that champion mobs shouldn’t be able to kill you in 1-3 hits.. why? This is a very powerful opponent you’re fighting.. what kind of tension would that fight be if you could tank dozens of hits without caring?

Here’s a tip: Dodge. Champs are supposed to kill you in 1-3 hits because you are supposed to avoid/block those hits, not just stand there hoping to soak them up.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Dantaeus Heardt.5730

A suggestion for champions as a fellow warrior player, go with the shield and sword combo. Great for defending and the sword is great for bleed stacking. Two guildies and I took out a champion giant the, entire fight I tanked him and did not get downed once. Our Ranger dropped aoe heals on me while the other warrior fought with his rifle. Try out different strategies Flett and find a good guild that will play with you.

Flett.1296

Not to turn this into “L2P”.. but it seems like you have a few misconceptions to unlearn.. and you need to get better at the game.

You state that champion mobs shouldn’t be able to kill you in 1-3 hits.. why? This is a very powerful opponent you’re fighting.. what kind of tension would that fight be if you could tank dozens of hits without caring?

Here’s a tip: Dodge. Champs are supposed to kill you in 1-3 hits because you are supposed to avoid/block those hits, not just stand there hoping to soak them up.

I actually am pretty good at this, I think it’s really easy with the dodge ability. I am leveling up incredibly quick. You might be right about the unlearning process. I’m just not a big fan of being a ranged class. I do get the whole a champ being able to kill you in 1-3 hits. By my last sentence states it all, there should be a healing class. So I can go up there and get hit and not have to dodge and try and hold aggro on me.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

you should also know that being Tanky ((as you can never be an actual tank in this game)) is much easyer to do when you reach max level and can REALLY focus on your build and what you want to do , than get gear that fits that role. Mace and shield are grate for this as you get 3 stuns

also you should know that Healing Power is actualy GRATE for some one who wants alot of survivability, you kinda need to mix up your skills in this one Min Maxing is not optimal for everything in this game

(edited by UnderdogSMO.9428)

Dantaeus Heardt.5730

From the experiences have had with my guild Guardians and Eles make for the best healers, our rangers are pretty good at it as well. It all comes down to how the player decides to build their characters too, try asking in map chat for somone proficient in healing to give you a hand in PvE questing.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Yup, great thing about those champions is that you have to pay attention and learn their animations. This is what the dodging mechanic really is all about, learning the animations of the champion and dodging at the right time. Now on my Warrior and guardian I may take a big hit or 2 from a champion meeting them for the first time, but after that I learned their animations and avoid there big hits every time, and just take their normal hits.

UnderdogSMO.9428

I play more of a tanky build with Sword/shield for my main wepon set

I use Tough/Power/Heal gear ((with a little condition/vit mixed in)) 2 shouts (shake it off and for grate justice)) and my shouts Heal, the healing signat, Franzy for fast burst Dammage.
and i often use battle standerd when im in a group for the rez

basicly as I fight im also healing myself ALL THE TIME.

UnderdogSMO.9428

Oh also when you start Dungeon runs lern and understand what combo Fields do

I often run with a necro that sets down a field that Give’s me life steal when I go range. so if i need to heal up real quick and she puts that field on the ground, i role back use my rifle burst shot heal up real quick stealing health from my target ((by shooting through said field)) than jump right back in with my sword

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I feel like I am always playing by myself. Even when fighting something with a bunch of other people. I still feel by myself. As soon as what ever anyone is fighting is dead, it’s like magic everyone is gone. There is no dugeon for me to party up with people, no one want’s a low leveler in their group. The last mmo I played which was in 2007 was WoW and as soon as I hit 10 I could start running dungeons. Which I love running with partys and fighting bosses, for good drops.

My advice to this would be to find a good, friendly, social guild. Or even get a few like-minded people together and start your own! I know you don’t have the time to play, but there are plenty of people that do, and will be understanding of the limited time you can play.

When guesting is put in place, this will become a lot easier.

-Fighting just seems hetic with dodgeing, runing away, and dieing. Most of the time your just kiting harder mobs. At lvl 35 I can barely tank a lvl 8 champion in hand to hand combat, thats ridic. The only reason people can beat champion mobs is beacuse a higher level person is there trying to do their map completion. Then when you finally do beat a champion your level, the drop is crap. They need to make champs to be able to be defeated by PC’s their level.

There is no spoon.

Unlearn thinking you can ‘tank’. Unlearn watching the UI.

Keep a ranged weapon equipped in the event you need to get out of dodge because your heal is on cooldown and your endurance is refilling.

Try to keep Toughness as a Warrior (Toughness just plain scales better for us), but also don’t neglect Vitality, since Toughness doesn’t do squat against Condition Damage.

Personally, when leveling, I used Dual Sword and Dual Mace. This give me access to:

• Stacking Bleeds (Swords)
  • Two Blocks
  • A Stun
  • A Daze
  • A Ranged Attack
  • A Knockdown
  • A Gap Closer
  • Constant Weakness (Weakness is good, all hits deal 50% damage) (Mace)

Also:

• dump 15 trait points into Defense for Adrenal Health (passive health regen based on Adrenaline every 3 seconds), and equip the Signet Heal for Passive Health regen every second. The passive healing will at least help mitigate the damage, and reduce the damage from conditions.
  • Cull the Weak is also good if you decide to go with main hand mace (+5% to Weakened).
  • Then put the extra 10 into Power for Berserker’s Power (Increased Damage with High Adrenaline, 12% at highest), or 10 into Discipline for Heightened Focus (Increased Crit Chance for High Adrenaline, 9% at highest).
  • Try to keep your Adrenaline up at all times.

Don’t dodge everything. Instead, just move out of the way of the big attacks, and try to keep at least one bar of endurance in case kittenF.

-I’m lvl 35 and my gear is just now changing, it took me 35 levels for my gear to look diff from level 5.

-I took note from the forum and started mineing, cutting wood, collecting plants and keeping everything that can be crafted.

-I just used everything I had at lvl 35 and it showed no reward. Didn’t level me up much or make me money. And then I found out I could only learn 2 professions. For the love of god give me more thread.

If crafting, try to use the Discovery pane. Not only does it give you extra XP, but that’s how you create the various other amours.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Champions are there for group events. You shouldn’t be able to solo them, that’s the point.

Posted by: Kalrisver.2679

Kalrisver.2679

Personally I would take the time to read all the traits bonuses especially the ones that go into slots and find something that suits your play style.

I found Warrior to be the easiest to play out of the 5 classes I’ve played so far.
It’s only 41 but I found a ridiculous solo build (compared to other classes) just spending the time to read all the traits and what they do.

I’m currently 11/20/0/0/0
Strength 10pt: Berserker’s Power [Increased damage based on adrenal bar]
Arms 10pt: Deep Strike [+40 precision for each unused signet equipped]
20pt: Forceful Greatsword [Gain might boon on crit]

I have Healing Signet, Signet of Might, Signet of Fury, Dolyak Signet, Signet of Rage[E]

This build gives me about 78% crit chance (858 precision [320+487]), coupled with the passive healing of healing signet and might boon on crit, great sword 100blades pretty much shreds through normal mobs in seconds, even ones 3 levels higher than me.

Due to the static bonus of +40 precision/unused signet it probably won’t work very well or at all at higher levels but at 41-ish it works pretty well for me.

(edited by Kalrisver.2679)

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Have you considered talking to or offering to group with the random players you encounter? The game is only as lonely as you make it. Give players the opportunity to immerse themselves on a solo quest to 80 and they will do it because it is the path of least resistance, but that doesn’t mean you can’t socialise and group with the people you meet along the way.

Edit: Sorry I re-read my post and realised it was a little condescending. That isn’t the intention. Point being, make friends and talk to the people you meet along the way.

(edited by Elthurien.8356)