My exit review of Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

As civilised as your post is, it does not belong on these forums. Forums are a place of discussion and by your own statement you are not interested in a discussion. This would be much better as a review/blog post.

Anyway, I don’t find your arguments convincing. I like this game much more than any other MMO I ever played. Sure, tastes differ. But many issues you describe (first and foremost, the WvWvW) are initial problems which will inevitably appear during the first days of the game. How long has GW2 been out now? A month and a half? Basically, the game is still in beta and overgoes many changes. In a complex system like this, not every initial decision will turn out to be a good one. ANet have shown on multiple occasions that they keep improving the game and they are not afraid to make unpopular decisions to do this.

P.S. The reason I don’t play WvWvW much is that I am waiting for the population to balance itself and players learn how the game works. These things need time.

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

By Zutroy
So far, Anet has done an amazing job at bringing what’s cool in solo games into an MMO. But it’s also done a great job at removing the good things that were already included in the genre…

I don`t think you could get any more accurate then that.

Posted by: Cayden.4587

Cayden.4587

As civilised as your post is, it does not belong on these forums. Forums are a place of discussion and by your own statement you are not interested in a discussion. This would be much better as a review/blog post.

That is why it is titled “My Exit Review of Guild Wars 2”. Sadly your definition of forum is not accurate and Webster’s dictionary agrees,

Forum
1c: "a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas "

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

As this is an expression of my ideas I believe it fits forums perfectly.

Back to Planetside 2 beta. Where 500 v 500 v 500 happens everyday with no invisible armies.

Posted by: InfiniteRetro.9865

InfiniteRetro.9865

That is why it is titled “My Exit Review of Guild Wars 2”. Sadly your definition of forum is not accurate and Webster’s dictionary agrees,

Forum
1c: "a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas "

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

As this is an expression of my ideas I believe it fits forums perfectly.

or to be put another way, if your review was nothing but praise im sure he would have said ‘excellent review i agree 100 percent’. and im kitten sure he wouldnt be telling you not to post it.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

The only real issue I have with the game is after lvl 80 waypoint costs are too high to be able to “enjoy the world” as they said we would.
Unless you farm, you’re going bankrupt if you are a person who likes to play with others around Tyria.

The rest of the game is miles above anything.

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

To each his ow I suppose, but I have to ask, if no discussion or input for the Anet team was desired out of this post then why bother? It seems like an attempt to get people to feel the same way or to justify leaving. I wont say lots don’t feel the same on many of these issues but if we are talking, expressing feelings/ideas, it seems far too many want instant gratification and when something isn’t exactly as expected within its launch time then it’s terrible. Sometimes you gotta stick things out and wait, it will get better, but overall this game has had a better launch then many other MMO’s. Anet does listen and is continuing to fix the game, the changes however will not happen overnight and not everyone will be happy with the state of the game for a while as they get hung up on certain points. I mean this one skill point and various bugged events have bothered me, the changes to guardian, the balancing for PvP, but it’s not gonna make me leave when the over all product is great, evolving, and still being fixed up from day one. This game is never gonna be the ‘killer of WoW’(besides WoW is doing that to itself) but it’s a game worth playing, unique in what it brings to the MMO world and is recognized as a game changer, an evolution, not a revolution, it does a hell of a lot more right then it does wrong and a lot of the ‘wrong;’ is being worked on. Additionally a lot of these issues really are just that, personal issues that do not reflect any actual game breaking issues such as a few of the WvW complaints. Whatever the case I clearly disagree effectively with almost the entire post, but despite both our opinions what matters is the player base still in the game, and despite the amount complaining on the forums about x and y and wanting to leave because of it thousands more just play the game and ignore the forum. Forums are always the vocal minority.

(edited by Trock Bronze.9625)

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

I agree with OP on every point

Ive had people stop playing becouse they cant tank, which is their favorite way of playing. Theres no organization and many dungeons are about dying and running back..
Holy trinity is a much better mechanic.

WvW on my server has done exactly as you said, people flocked to it, and now its totally useless, from best server in EU during daytime to 6-7th.
And the PvE stuff in WVW, also true.

And i also agree with Character and Gear progression

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

I agree with OP on every point

Ive had people stop playing becouse they cant tank, which is their favorite way of playing. Theres no organization and many dungeons are about dying and running back..
Holy trinity is a much better mechanic.

WvW on my server has done exactly as you said, people flocked to it, and now its totally useless, from best server in EU during daytime to 6-7th.
And the PvE stuff in WVW, also true.

And i also agree with Character and Gear progression

i strongly disagree with the holy trinity after playing mmos for nearly 5 years now, and besides arena net is not catering towards people who want to play the trinity way so your freinds who quit obviously did not know what they were getting into before buying this game.

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

While i cant say i 100% agree with everything that was said. I think generally this is a real issue for many players. The biggest one for me is the last part about the companys communication. We see other companys who have learned to adjust to todays market and how things work. Companys have evolved to being more transparent in the game community. Directly speaking to players often and doing podcasts explaining design changes and balance in the game. (riot, soe both doing this very well, havent looked at blizzard lately) The lack of this from arenanet makes them feel more distant from their player base, the direct result of this is A) they’re a cold hard corperation who doesnt care about my needs and B. they dont actually care about what i want or dont want in their game.

Sadly over half my guild has already quit many of my more hardcore RL friends are in planetside 2 beta ranting about how much fun they’re having. My friend (probably HUGEST fan of this game) who did nothing but rant rant rant everyday about it and held out the longest just last night told me he signed up for the planet side 2 beta and began discussing it. All i can say is Age of Conan had record sales as an mmo, followed the same pattern in regards to peoples anger and died within 3 months. This game is doing a good thing by having this major update…i honestly beleive if it fails to deliver many people (including myself) will go from putting this game on the backburner to the trashcan. With that said despite my dissapointment i’m hoping it does deliver, but if all my friends go to planetside 2…i probably will too.

(edited by Zinwrath.2049)

Posted by: Vlaxitov.5693

Vlaxitov.5693

First off I am leaving Guild Wars 2 and going back to Planetside 2 and probably won’t bother coming back to comment on this.

Not only do you let us know that you’re a mmo addict by naming what game you’re “going back to” as if its an ex wife, you do come back here to comment.

The first thing that seemed like a great idea and turned out to not work for me was the step away from tank/healer/dps or the “unholy trinity” as ANET liked to call it. Unfortunately it has become painfully clear to players that it is actually the “holy trinity” and allows for organized and streamlined game play that can focus on teamwork and environment without the need for a lot of groups to end up resorting to face rolling through dungeons by just having a constant stream of people dying and running back.

This widely depends on the group and if you’ve ever been in a good group which it sounds like you haven’t, that constant stream of people running back is more like a trickle.

The second thing that seemed like a great new feature and turned out to be disastrous is the downed state. While the idea of this was interesting and effectively made everyone a “healer” it ended up not working that way in game. The biggest effect of this was in WvW where the ability for people to rebound because someone they had hit was killed caused fights to just become ridiculous. In PvE this was also not really a great feature as it just added another phase of dying. It didn’t really make the game easier and also caused people to flock to the downed person to heal them which would often result in an aoe wiping the party.

Most of this is just a rehash of your first complaint really. Since you can’t find people who can bring people up and dodge aoe at the same time, the downed state is “just another phase of dying” to you. Well if you play with people who CAN bring other people up and still time their double taps its not.

The third thing I thought was going to be good but turned out to be bad was no Raids and Dungeon gear being cosmetic only. For people who don’t know it takes about 2 days to farm enough gold to buy a full set of exotics in any stat configuration. It takes about the same time running dungeons to get 1 piece of exotic gear from a dungeon in the same stat configuration. This made two problems, 1 there was no real motivation to run dungeons and 2 it only took 2 days to go from fresh 80 to fully geared 80(minus legendary but come on w/e). The lack of raids added with this lack of gear progression made it so that people had literally zero motivation to run PvE other than to farm different currencies.

I would like you to explain to us all how it takes 2 days to farm enough gold for 30 ectos along with all the other mats it takes to make a full set. (actually 60 ectos if you included jewellery) Then once I’m convinced you can do it in two days, I wan’t you to convince me that you ever would.

In addition to that, I don’t understand the necissity for gear rewards that are strong enough to belittle content other than instances as being the inspiration you need to do things like running dungeons in an online game. Why would you request raids if you struggle to get through dungeons as you described to being with? The mind boggles.

While I do have grievances with the game myself, this concludes the time I have for your “exit review” as I feel that you demonstrated ignorance and or dishonesty in your first three points of this post.

(edited by Vlaxitov.5693)

Posted by: Torgrim.3642

Torgrim.3642

Now this is a propper goodby thread even If I don’t agree with most of what he sead I still respect his feelings about GW2.

Posted by: Grakor.3450

Grakor.3450

I don’t find this to be a real “review” so much as it is a list of complaints. Complaints that, in the grand scheme of things, come down to personal preference. People can say “This seemed like a good idea, but in the end it turned out to fail!” without actually looking at the bigger picture, and realizing that it’s not that it failed, but that the game has a different intended direction.

The best example I have: the gear treadmill. I’ve seen people say that there’s no reason to dungeon for gear because it’s not better and that this will ruin the game, and so on and so forth. They completely miss that there was another game that was wildly successful and it didn’t have a treadmill either: Guild Wars 1. You can’t say the lack of a treadmill is an objective flaw when there was a very successful game that worked just fine without it.

Posted by: Battousai.7586

Battousai.7586

@Cayden Ps2 held my attention for 30 minutes before it hit the recycling bin, its clear we share different opinions on what enjoyable games are, remember i said “opinion”, like your OP is opinion base, dont claim it for fact even for a second

Posted by: Coin Flunk.3024

Coin Flunk.3024

Thanks for your review, good bye. =)

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

OP just give it up, I’ve also considered writing my own “exit review” but what is the point? You’ve summed up a large majority of my own feelings and your experience mimics my own.

Yes it is my own fault for having such high expectations and seeing the massive potential the game had. I invested every minute I could for each beta weekend and stress test and like your friend I screamed “GW2 will rule” to anyone who bothered to listen. But everything post-launch has been too much for me, too much Jeckyl and Hyde from ArenaNet.

I’m content to leave the future of the game to the “casuals” and “it’s good enough’s” but it does make me sad that the community looks down on anyone who applies some critical thinking to the current incarnation of the game and finds certain aspects lacking.

Good luck to you getting your gaming kicks, it’s back to some single player action and possibly back to The Secret World for me.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

Posted by: Pictish.3410

Pictish.3410

I do actually agree with alot this guy said, but I think it may also depend on what world your on.
PVP- I have tried PVP a few times, it would actually be a fun system if it was balanced but right now all our maps are dominated by 1 world and have been since the start, there is never enough players around to do anything on my side. meaning youa re trapped in those areas.
Bots- the last week I can say I have seen more bots/multiboxers whatever you call them than people, a big event might bring in maybe 20 players in a lrea, but more frequently I am coming across groups of 15 bots running minor events. I have a mixed range of levels on my chars and this is the same thing in all the areas. It makes questing and events no challenge or fun when there is a massive line of bots constantly looping through the area killing everything. It certainly was not like this in the first few weeks of the game, bots were rare in my world, seeing maybe 1 or 2 not lines of 10-20 was the norm.
Number of players, I am certainly not seeing the same amount of talk in areas(covering my 1-80 chars), and certainly not the same number of Pugs for dungeons, even at peak times. Possibly everyone is doing guild runs. But the amount of general chat has dropped.
Bugged quests, skill points ect have been fixed pretty quickly, certainly quicker than quest problems in WOWs release.
Forums , very heavy handed control, rather annoying that they respond to posts around game issues quicker than they actually respond to the issue itself, maybe they should retask some of their Mods to ingame GMs that would certainly help resolve the bot infestation, as they can jump on posts within a few minutes, yet the bots and sites of issues people are talking about are there for weeks after. This type of handling has been done in the past by other companies, all it led too was reviewers, other forums and magazines and blogs picking up on the issues leading too ill will and a sense of nothing being done from the community.
Things to do- My level 80 still has got loads left to do, although I have multiple toons, I have been playing every day sometimes all day. I also picked cooking which although the other trade skills are not that great, it has an amazing huge system. Although i would like to see an ability to create your own recipes , where you mix components to give certain buffs. Example take a pizza base and add toppings or loaf of bread and add fillings, with each one adding a certain type and amount of buff.

As for the way class system works, i still need to maybe look at certain builds for group play which really defeats the making everyone a jack of all trades in the first place as I really did not enjoy the dungeon runs as it really was a case of facerolling, death runs even with a mixed group. that could easily be a lack of understanding of tactics and possibly bad gearing and chosen skills(wrong type of stats) on the groups part.

In the end the game itself is rather good, loads to do, plenty that could be added, gameplay is fun. It simply needs tweaked in a few places and more management of ingame issues. But then I have not charged through the game trying to hit 80, nor am I a PVP/PVE only person. Still enjoying it, but the lack of people I am meeting in world is worrying.

Posted by: Coin Flunk.3024

Coin Flunk.3024

You say anet don’t bother communicating with use… I private msg’d a Dev today and got a response back within a few hours + they said any futher questions, feel free to ask. If this isn’t communicating i don’t know what is.

Deth.4109

OP just give it up, I’ve also considered writing my own “exit review” but what is the point? You’ve summed up a large majority of my own feelings and your experience mimics my own.

Yes it is my own fault for having such high expectations and seeing the massive potential the game had. I invested every minute I could for each beta weekend and stress test and like your friend I screamed “GW2 will rule” to anyone who bothered to listen. But everything post-launch has been too much for me, too much Jeckyl and Hyde from ArenaNet.

I’m content to leave the future of the game to the “casuals” and “it’s good enough’s” but it does make me sad that the community looks down on anyone who applies some critical thinking to the current incarnation of the game and finds certain aspects lacking.

Good luck to you getting your gaming kicks, it’s back to some single player action and possibly back to The Secret World for me.

i love how people like you with a bone to pic come to the forums and assume only your ideas and opinion was applied with critical thought. people are well aware of what the game is lacking but we are also aware that MMOs are games that must evolve into the massive cash cows they have the potential to be, but instead of coming here saying “the sky is falling so im leaving” we accept it will take time to change.

Posted by: issacTheMarker.8530

issacTheMarker.8530

Sadly Op you make some very good points. And i agree with all of them. I haven’t done WvW since i really can’t afford to die 20 billion times thanks anet for your lousy economy and your DR. I haven’t played since i farmed enough mats to make a zerker set. I wanted to farm more DE’s to grab more ectos but its not really working anymore in Orr. I made more money farming potent bloods.

My biggest complaints have to be
1.) Exp modes – lack of the holy trinity is felt here
2.) Economy – again i am going to guess the reason income does not scale up from 1 – 80 is because gems can be bought with gold so the more gold you have the less real money you need to use. And again the DR system discourages botting but it also discourages other players.

3.) End Game – the game doesn’t need raids but it needs something De are like dailies in other games but they give out far less rewards again risk!= rewards. (not equals) or time put in != rewards. Like the OP said once you get your exotic gear, there’s no point in doing dungeons.

I played WoW from the start of BC til around dec 2011. Quit WoW for tortanic. I quit tortanic around June july. I wanted something different not a wow clone. This game looked like it was what i was looking for until i hit 80 that is. The fixes for the game have been mostly band aids and ignores the major issues.

(edited by issacTheMarker.8530)

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I don’t think the holy trinity is really a bad thing either.

Some MMO’s (like WoW) just did a terrible job with it. I think Vanguard is a good example of a good trinity.

The trinity shouldn’t be (3 part mindless DPS to 1 part good healer and 1 part good tank), it should be (1 part good DPS/CC’er to 1 part good healer and 1 part good tank).

I don’t think a lack of the trinity is necessarily bad either, but you’re content needs to be well designed for it to still be fun and require teamwork.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Posted by: poiuy.3907

poiuy.3907

Some good points OP. I would also add that something about the combat mechanics makes for a bit of a spamy/jerky/random feel. I can’t quite put my finger on it. I guess I was hoping more for a no tab target combat system or more of a vindictus / tera or Darkall type combat.

Posted by: Bohannan.2069

Bohannan.2069

Glad you’re leaving Cayden. Remember how you and your guild transferred servers multiple times and nobody liked you an any server?

Deth.4109

Sadly Op you make some very good points. And i agree with all of them. I haven’t done WvW since i really can’t afford to die 20 billion times thanks anet for your lousy economy and your DR. I haven’t played since i farmed enough mats to make a zerker set. I wanted to farm more DE’s to grab more ectos but its not really working anymore in Orr. I made more money farming potent bloods.

My biggest complaints have to be
1.) Exp modes – lack of the holy trinity is felt here
2.) Economy – again i am going to guess the reason income does not scale up from 1 – 80 is because gems can be bought with gold so the more gold you have the less real money you need to use. And again the DR system discourages botting but it also discourages other players.

3.) End Game – the game doesn’t need raids but it needs something De are like dailies in other games but they give out far less rewards again risk!= rewards. (not equals) or time put in != rewards. Like the OP said once you get your exotic gear, there’s no point in doing dungeons.

I played WoW from the start of BC til around dec 2011. Quit WoW for tortanic. I quit tortanic around June july. I wanted something different not a wow clone. This game looked like it was what i was looking for until i hit 80 that is. The fixes for the game have been mostly band aids and ignores the major issues.

the point in doing dungeons is simply to aquire the sets from them, there is no reason to play this game or any other beyond simply wanting to. im seriously questioning gamers mentality these days with Games purpose=rewards. like seriously does EVERY game need a tredmill to be good or only mmos???

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I stopped losing interest at the trinity part. But it is a well written opinion without attacking anyone, something rarely seen in here.

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

They need a tredmill, a big majority wants it, and most single player games goes towards it

Deth.4109

They need a tredmill, a big majority wants it, and most single player games goes towards it

do you have Graphs?, charts stats percents?? what proof do you have that a majority wants the treadmil beyond random forum opinions and assuming many share your opinion?

Posted by: Gambit.7836

Gambit.7836

OP’s post is fantastic. I agree with it completely. Great job!

We were told that the MMO would be reinvented, that conventional components would be removed – and they were – but they weren’t replaced with anything thus leaving a huge void.

(edited by Gambit.7836)

Posted by: Hughs.6549

Hughs.6549

MarzAttakz.9608

I hear you man ….

Posted by: Overunity.4273

Overunity.4273

I do understand why a lot would leave after one playthrough .

There are issues and one of the main things I believe a live mmorpg needs at release is a live in game customer service team and a fully functional and well implemented way to way to gather groups together .
These are in this game non existent .
There is no way currently to have a two way live conversation with customer service .

We just want to have fun

Posted by: Zarazakzr.2076

Zarazakzr.2076

OP, thanks for posting this review. It summarizes nicely my own thoughts about this game. I’m still playing though but I’m hoping and expecting improvements before I dish out anymore money on future expansions/gems.

Posted by: Jogyn.1370

Jogyn.1370

There is nothing wrong with the current non trinity system. It emphasizes individual player skill over standing in the fire being held up by a main healer. I can understand why a lot of people seem to be having trouble with this concept.

The WVW part I partially agree with, they need to keep observing the meta and keep an eye on exploits and fix the rendering issue. Otherwise I pretty much disagree with everything else mentioned in your post.

You want raiding, holy trinity and no downed state … yeh this game was so not made for you.

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

I am still playing. I am trying my best to ignore the Bugs and Issues that have been Plauging it for months.

The weird sound bug that sounds like an alarm…still not fixed…it is actually causing my systems BIOS to reset when it happens.

sPVP…my most anticipated part of the game…only 1 game mode…terrible pvp browser lobby etc etc ….downed state should NOT be in sPVP. Kind of a slap in the face to fight someone “kill” them then as you stand there trying to “finish” them you get zerged and loose out on “actually” making the kill.

Legenderies are skins only… why not just a nice 5 – 10 percent boost….It wont cause in imbalance since only a few will still have them…for me a stat increase will make it worth farming for… Same goes for legendary armor when it comes out.

Arenanet claims no grind but in fact it is a massive grind. Honestly though this is unavoidable in any game with “farming” and “leveling”.
Diminishing returns also kills things. Its like saying “thanks you played for an hour or 2 and no more badges for you until 24 hours pass… so go play something else now”

WvWvW I fully agree with the OP on. It should not have all the extra “fluff” in it. If they remove or reduce that I bet they could squeeze more players in…Id rather be playing then waiting in a queue. This will also have players focus on WvWvW PVP rather then spending hours (like I do) running around trying to get POI’s, Vistas and skill points…I’m benefiting myself by getting this but honestly this is WvW I should be benefiting my team. This is no place to be doing my own thing getting completion points…there are many player that do this and this isn’t helping the server cause half the force is out “questing” and not fighting.

I still love GW2 but with some things it makes loving it “hard”.

I still have faith and I will give it time.

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

Another person who bought a game that doesn’t play the way he likes and so everybody is leaving?

Ok….

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

I am still playing. I am trying my best to ignore the Bugs and Issues that have been Plauging it for months.

Hasn’t the game been out just a month and a half?? Or were you talking about another game?

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Wall of text crits you for 9001.

Seriously, why bother writing up these reviews or even calling it a review. No one really cares if you are dissapointed or leaving, besides maybe your guild and some few people you’ve gotten to know in-game. What exactly do the rest of us have to do with this? We cant change anything of what you feel is bad. You would be better off posting suggestions instead of bashing the game, if you have any better ideas how it could be made.

You also say something about how people leave game and never go back later on and instead keep playing an older game… How is that NOT going back to another game? They must have left that game, even if its for just a short moment while testing the new game.

You also answer way to often for a guy who will probably not look at the thread again since hes quitting. You’ve already been back to the thread 6+ times since you posted it today.

Also the fix to the invis bug was patched a few days ago, shortly after it was detected.

And IMO the absence of the trinity works great, same as the downed system.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Drok Kindleshot.1496

Drok Kindleshot.1496

First disagree with this….

The first thing that seemed like a great idea and turned out to not work for me was the step away from tank/healer/dps or the “unholy trinity” as ANET liked to call it. Unfortunately it has become painfully clear to players that it is actually the “holy trinity” and allows for organized and streamlined game play that can focus on teamwork and environment without the need for a lot of groups to end up resorting to face rolling through dungeons by just having a constant stream of people dying and running back.

Key words are “worke for me” because it’s working out really good for me as a ranger…
for the first time other than GW1 because rangers rocked there also, I am able to join dungeons without getting snubbed by elitist tanks and healers…the LFG 3 tanks 2 healers…is over, thank god its over…so tired of that. The no trinity gameplay gives every class a chance to play by skill not by class and I for one thank Anet very much for that….so I disagree with your take on holy trinity….It promotes teamwork? yah maybe in your realm of what you want. You can LFG in the dungeons and not worry about what classes your taking into the dungeons. I have run Arah dungeon 11 times and completed it 10 times and not once did I worry about what classes we were throwing into the dungeon. I’m sure lots more agree.

Angelus.1042

Hasn’t the game been out just a month and a half?? Or were you talking about another game?

My bad should have mentioned the betas which count from press in Feburary… Theres your “months”

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

I wonder exactly what Deth wonders, whats with the gaming community these days? When did people stop playing games to have fun and when did people start playing games to have a second job?

GW2 takes us back to how games were done when they were indeed good and fun without a carrot around every corner.

This game lets you focus on what you like, grinding new gear, RvRing, BGing, Crafting, farming or you name it. For me its great, there are no money sinks unless I really want legendaries, so I can grind a bit and focus on alt when I want. Just like it is with BGs, even if I slack for a week or two I wont fall behind because the gear is just looks, the way it should be, BGs are about having fun, thats the main point with the whole gaming industry. Something many gaming companies have forgotten about, A-net not being one of those.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Angelus.1042

I wonder exactly what Deth wonders, whats with the gaming community these days? When did people stop playing games to have fun and when did people start playing games to have a second job?

GW2 takes us back to how games were done when they were indeed good and fun without a carrot around every corner.

This game lets you focus on what you like, grinding new gear, RvRing, BGing, Crafting, farming or you name it. For me its great, there are no money sinks unless I really want legendaries, so I can grind a bit and focus on alt when I want. Just like it is with BGs, even if I slack for a week or two I wont fall behind because the gear is just looks, the way it should be, BGs are about having fun, thats the main point with the whole gaming industry. Something many gaming companies have forgotten about, A-net not being one of those.

No money sinks?

Waypoints = Money Sink
Durability loss in WvWvW = Money Sink
Commanders badge = Money sink for those with the money since it dont do much except for a blue marker and a few other things not “100 golds worth” of features
Heck….always buying mining picks/sickles/axes = money sink.

Just MY opinion

(edited by Angelus.1042)

Posted by: darkehawke.1269

darkehawke.1269

who are people kidding themselves with 50% retention.
that is still an awful statistic

Posted by: NBlitz.9083

NBlitz.9083

who are people kidding themselves with 50% retention.
that is still an awful statistic

If memory serves me well, the 900 pound gorilla boasts a retention rate of 30%. For any game that would mean great numbers.
Any other title in recent memory has had wayyy less than 30%.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Planetside 2? Well there’s a game I’m not interested in. Might be superfun, not trying to knock it or anything, but I don’t think it’s the same type of game.

Anyways, good luck!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

For me, the bottom line is this:

If you were NOT expecting anything from GW2, like, never heard about GW2 before you bought it, then its a solid game.

If you were following GW2 since the beginning….then its a MASSIVE disappointment. Not because its complete garbage, but because the underlying game is THERE, Anet just needs to refine it, change what doesnt work, and add stuff. Their after launch support has also been completely dismal. Sometimes i question whether that same team that was responsible for making the game are in charge of fixing, adding content, changing content, etc.

Or it could be as simple as….we put too much faith and expectations on Anet. Maybe this is the best they can do.

Posted by: AlexanderFaust.4518

AlexanderFaust.4518

If you were NOT expecting anything from GW2, like, never heard about GW2 before you bought it, then its a solid game.

If you were following GW2 since the beginning….then its a MASSIVE disappointment. Not because its complete garbage, but because the underlying game is THERE, Anet just needs to refine it, change what doesnt work, and add stuff. Their after launch support has also been completely dismal. Sometimes i question whether that same team that was responsible for making the game are in charge of fixing, adding content, changing content, etc.

Or it could be as simple as….we put too much faith and expectations on Anet. Maybe this is the best they can do.

+1

That’s actually a good way to summarize it.
Kudos ~

Posted by: Jalliah.7862

Jalliah.7862

I think the OP has valid complaints for him which is why he’s leaving. Don’t see an issue with that it doesn’t seem to be the game he wants.

Of course peoples opinions vary. I like the game. There are things I don’t like. The one thing I do really, really like about this game is the getting rid of the holy trinity. Yep it sure is different if a person is used to tank, heal, dps. I am as I have been playing mmos for years that use that system. I still do play one.

Contrary to some of the comments from people that don’t like its removal I don’t find that it makes dungeons just a die, run back repeat affair. It just needs a different playstyle entirely which is great. No doubt the trinity is easier to play with pugs. With the trinity as long as the tank holds aggro and the healer heals and the group does the mechanics it’s easy. Without it everyone in the group has to pay attention and do bits of everything. I find it makes the fights way more interesting and challenging (if you don’t want to do the die and repeat thing). It also makes a situation where people really need to know their class, spec and skills and be able to think more on the fly.

It’s less forgiving then trinity fighting overall and a different mindset to get it done without a whole lot of death.

For me this is a good thing because it’s different.

Posted by: Crunch Rest.2945

Crunch Rest.2945

I stopped playing for these reasons and simply that i’m having more fun playing MOP

Posted by: Hughs.6549

Hughs.6549

SneakyErvin.3056

Seriously, why bother writing up these reviews or even calling it a review. No one really cares if you are dissapointed or leaving,

If you don’t care, don’t answer, thanks. Some do actually care, because lots of us feel exactly the same way and we’re still playing the game, had a strong faith in ANet and are now dissapointed.

“hardcore” gamers are a huge part of the mmo-market, lots of potential customers here and ignoring them would be the worst mistake that ANet could do.

So, is his review important ? yes, it is.

(edited by Hughs.6549)

Posted by: Psy.6153

Psy.6153

Translated:

My noob guild , after server hopping 7 times , could never get any success. Therefore im going to blame the game and ragequit putting all the blame on Anet.

Portal Bomber of
Sea of Sorrows NA

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Ratnacage, it’s more a case of taking a step back, stating your own experience and why you’re unhappy with the results (especially if you took the time to bug report and provide feedback during beta) and hope that your feedback will provide insight to further diversify the game and reach a broader audience.

It’s people like the OP you actually want to stick around because despite our negative opinions we actually care about the game and honestly want it to succeed. Positive feedback is good and all but without any criticism the game will eventually stagnate.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

Agreed.

I’m not quitting and I don’t hate the game. But it is disappointing. I heard this game ANet describe during the years of hype, the teasing us with trickles of information and class reveals. And… I can see it. I mean, I can see how this current game could be what they described, but it isn’t. Not yet. To echo others, their support since August 28th has been dreadful. Things seem to get broken more than fixed, and things that were broken before seem to remain broken.

I’m hoping they’ll pick it up. I’m sure they will, but my question is: How long?