My exit review of Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: theerrantventure.9185

theerrantventure.9185

Hopefully as more people like the OP leave and the populations do thin out a bit, this will mean fewer people to buy gold and hopefully the bots will move onto the next flavor of the month…

Trolls are like stray cats.
Feed them and they multiply.
Please do not feed them.

Posted by: krispydude.7198

krispydude.7198

Lmao, pinning your hope on a game being ran by SOE. I really hope your joking about that.

If not, you’re in for quite a shock.

Btw, I do agree with you on Anet. Tripping over themselves repeatedly since launch.

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

There are two types of games in this world.

The first one you buy, you see all you want to see, you have fun and then you toss it away. That is basically most PC and seemingly every console game.

The second type of game is what turns into a hobby, what attracts players over time instead of bleeding them out. Every game company in the world wants to make a game like that. GW2 is not such a game, no matter how good it is. Neither is it a f2p PvP game such as World of Tanks or LoL, nor is it a game with emergent gameplay, player agency, or world such as DayZ or Minecraft.

For what it’s worth ArenaNet know what they have and sell it right, but it comes as no surprise that GW2 is not snowballing into the next 20 million players phenomenon. It is what it is, a very good game. But as far as expectations go, that is not enough for the type of PC gamer who is rejecting anything that does not look like it is the only game he is ever going to buy until the day he dies. No matter how foolish that is.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

No money sinks?

Waypoints = Money Sink
Durability loss in WvWvW = Money Sink
Commanders badge = Money sink for those with the money since it dont do much except for a blue marker and a few other things not “100 golds worth” of features
Heck….always buying mining picks/sickles/axes = money sink.

Just MY opinion

Commander and Legendaries are the only two money sinks in the game. But neither is a must or something everyone wants. What you spend on WPs you earn back in a few kills or some random nodes/herbs/woods on your way to the big ones.

Deaths arent money sinks either, paying for WvW deaths just make you more aware and you lose a bit of something on death (would you prefer perma death or maybe a requeue before being able to participate in the fight again?).

I stopped playing for these reasons and simply that i’m having more fun playing MOP

Serious or troll? Enjoying MoP? I guess addicts need their fix no matter how filthy it is.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Vlaxitov.5693

Vlaxitov.5693

My biggest complaints have to be
1.) Exp modes – lack of the holy trinity is felt here

Felt by groups who fail at hand eye coordination.

Welcome to video games.

Posted by: GreenZap.1352

GreenZap.1352

I wonder exactly what Deth wonders, whats with the gaming community these days? When did people stop playing games to have fun and when did people start playing games to have a second job?

GW2 takes us back to how games were done when they were indeed good and fun without a carrot around every corner.

This game lets you focus on what you like, grinding new gear, RvRing, BGing, Crafting, farming or you name it. For me its great, there are no money sinks unless I really want legendaries, so I can grind a bit and focus on alt when I want. Just like it is with BGs, even if I slack for a week or two I wont fall behind because the gear is just looks, the way it should be, BGs are about having fun, thats the main point with the whole gaming industry. Something many gaming companies have forgotten about, A-net not being one of those.

You are aware of that old school games also had progression right? Sure there was no internet and there was no “gear treadmill” but what there was, was a high score. This high score system encouraged players to get better at the game they were playing. That you had 3 extra lives encouraged you to use less and less lives each time you were playing the game.

: Games have always had some sort of “progression” or “goals” but a lot of people today have their rose tinted glasses on and talk about “when did games stop being fun” because I can’t even begin to fathom how much money I have spent on a Arcade machine (Pinball or a fighting game) wasting both my childhood and my money to beat the last boss on my last life, fail and have to put in more money to contine playing. You know why I spend so much money on those arcade machines? Because I wanted TO WIN.

And the arcade games was designed to punish children who didn’t know better so they would be so hard that you would keep on playing, keep on spending money on the game because you could not save your progression and they were so kitten unfairly designed but you just didn’t want the game to beat you!

Don’t you even remember that there was “King of Nintendo” titles? Players who had high scores like speedrunning Super Mario or beating all levels on that god kitten forsakly difficult game?
If you had a Nintendo Power subscribtion back then you were the man because you knew a lot of tips and tricks that noone without subscription to the magazine could know of unless they by a miracle were so good at games that they figured them out because there was no internet where you could look up cheats and solutions.

Games: Have always had a carrot attached to them, been about getting better, even board games has this you want to win you want to beat your opponents that is what makes games fun. If you remove the competitive part of any game then that game would be boring.

Oh yea… yathzee would be really fun if you couldnt beat your opponents… no wait it wouldn’t. I don’t mean this as a paralell to the GW 2 discussion but talking about “just having fun” games have NEVER been about “just having fun” NEVER.

You want to talk about Pong ? Ok, we’ll talk about Pong. It didn’t take long until Pong got a high score attached to the new series of Pong systems that you could buy. You and your pals competed about both beating each other in points but also getting the highest high score and of also save as much goals as possible.

Game is a competitive hobby., If you don’t like to compete then you shouldnt play games. Although games can have “friendly competition” where you don’t play with money and where everyone is friends you can bet your kitten of that everyone on a game night will go full out to beat their opponents.

That is how humans works. We want to win, we want to beat others, we want to get the rewards. The rewards of beating someone in yathzee and then rubbing it in their face the whole evening is enough of a carrot for people to get motivated.

Games without any carrot = won’t last. There is a reason that basic card games is still played because the challenge is to beat your friends or play chess against a good player because then the challenge is to try to outsmart and beat that player . If everything is easy all the time you won’t continue doing it because its not only the game itself that is funny but the challenges and the satisfaction of winning.

Zayn Al’Sabaan
Elonian sword-dancer, poet and bard
Greatsword Chronomancer

(edited by GreenZap.1352)

Posted by: Uchi.2419

Uchi.2419

Since quoting is broken….

“For people who don’t know it takes about 2 days to farm enough gold to buy a full set of exotics in any stat configuration. It takes about the same time running dungeons to get 1 piece of exotic gear from a dungeon in the same stat configuration. "

Ugh. No?

Unless you just straight up buy gold through the TP, farming takes significantly longer to acquire one piece, much less a “full set”.

A dungeon run comparatively has a pretty good shot of giving you some kind of exotic, if not that, badges for armor skins that are arguably worth more than exotics.

Posted by: Ubung.7423

Ubung.7423

Lack of raiding even without the gear grind is whats bothering me. There isnt anything difficult in this game for groups of over 5. Anything in the outside world just gets zerged after 6+ people join in.

Any mmo that really wants to crack the mmo market has to appeal to a wide variety of people. And some type of raiding would widen the games demographic.

I aint played WvWvW too much yet so I cant comment on that. As for the holy trinity, im actually not sure. Id have to see my whole guild in action in a explorable which we havnt managed to do yet. Done them myself but my guild needs to catch up in levels.

I dont need the gear grind I just need a challenge for me and my guild to take on together.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

I wonder exactly what Deth wonders, whats with the gaming community these days? When did people stop playing games to have fun and when did people start playing games to have a second job?

GW2 takes us back to how games were done when they were indeed good and fun without a carrot around every corner.

This game lets you focus on what you like, grinding new gear, RvRing, BGing, Crafting, farming or you name it. For me its great, there are no money sinks unless I really want legendaries, so I can grind a bit and focus on alt when I want. Just like it is with BGs, even if I slack for a week or two I wont fall behind because the gear is just looks, the way it should be, BGs are about having fun, thats the main point with the whole gaming industry. Something many gaming companies have forgotten about, A-net not being one of those.

You are aware of that old school games also had progression right? Sure there was no internet and there was no “gear treadmill” but what there was, was a high score. This high score system encouraged players to get better at the game they were playing. That you had 3 extra lives encouraged you to use less and less lives each time you were playing the game.

: Games have always had some sort of “progression” or “goals” but a lot of people today have their rose tinted glasses on and talk about “when did games stop being fun” because I can’t even begin to fathom how much money I have spent on a Arcade machine (Pinball or a fighting game) wasting both my childhood and my money to beat the last boss on my last life, fail and have to put in more money to contine playing.

Games: Have always been about getting better, even board games has this you want to win you want to beat your opponents that is what makes games fun. If you remove the competitive part of any game then that game would be boring.

Oh yea… yathzee would be really fun if you couldnt beat your opponents… no wait it wouldn’t. I don’t mean this as a paralell to the GW 2 discussion but talking about “just having fun” games have NEVER been about “just having fun” NEVER.

can you get a higher score in monopoly?, can you progress at tick tac toe? can you play a game like metal gear solid 4 or any mario 64 and worry about higher score?. or what about basket ball or football do you play to win or just ot see a higher number on the score board each time? these are vidoe game and real life examples of games that are about loving the simple playing of them rather than your imaginarry carrot progression.

Posted by: flyinpoons.6481

flyinpoons.6481

Since quoting is broken….

“For people who don’t know it takes about 2 days to farm enough gold to buy a full set of exotics in any stat configuration. It takes about the same time running dungeons to get 1 piece of exotic gear from a dungeon in the same stat configuration. "

Ugh. No?

Unless you just straight up buy gold through the TP, farming takes significantly longer to acquire one piece, much less a “full set”.

A dungeon run comparatively has a pretty good shot of giving you some kind of exotic, if not that, badges for armor skins that are arguably worth more than exotics.

Quoting works fine, and my Warrior had full exotics in less than an hour after hitting 80, It broke me, by I did it with only the gold I made from selling crafting mats I gathered as I leveled.

Posted by: Saruba.7124

Saruba.7124

can you get a higher score in monopoly?……

Do you honestly think people would even know what “Monopoly” the game was if the only thing you did was roll dice and move your cool little car around the board, and were told to just have fun moving your 8 spaces?

GreenZap.1352

can you get a higher score in monopoly?, can you progress at tick tac toe? can you play a game like metal gear solid 4 or any mario 64 and worry about higher score?. or what about basket ball or football do you play to win or just ot see a higher number on the score board each time? these are vidoe game and real life examples of games that are about loving the simple playing of them rather than your imaginarry carrot progression.

Yes, you can get a “higher score” in monopoly. The first time you play it you will suck. You will make the wrong plays, buy the wrong streets, invest your money at the wrong times of the games.
The more you play the game the better you will become at it and the better you become the better plays you will do each time you play the game and that is the progression.

When you have played enough you will prob be better then your parents and lay waste to them. Punish them through the whole game, buying everything exactly as you should, outsmart them and get more money then them and then you will continue to rub it in their faces and laughing at them.

Mario 64 there is ongoing world high scores where you have I think its 3 best in the world players who compete at getting all stars the fastest by manipulating the game mechanics. It have a huge stream following. They try to beat each others scores all the time.

If you don’t want to win at football or whatever real sport then I don’t know why you would be playing them. Ofc I also play on summers with friends “for fun” but you still want to win badly when playing and you will do everything you can to win the game except ofc hurting someone but you get the point.

Talking about MGS or Hitman which have similar mechanics ofc you try to get better. First time you will alarm everything and die. After that you will start to study the game more. What should I do here? What is the patrol routines? Can I get away with this or will I get discovered? The more you play Hitman or MGS the better you will become at making huge plays.

Games is all about progession, if you are at the same level of skill after 3+ hours as you were when you picked up the game the first time then the game is a terrible game. Challenges is what makes games funny, esp against other players where a lot of mindgaming and outsmarting/outthinking/better reaction is involved. Why do you think ppl like watching MoBA or Starcraft tournaments? Because that’s what happens in those games.

If you’ve played DnD for 3 years do you really believe you will still be as bad as it as you were the first time? No you won’t your imagination have evolved and your understanding of the rules, what is possible, how to make good and big plays have evolved.

The first day at your new job you might be a little unsure about your responsibilities but after 2 weeks you will hopefully feel safe there, you understand the rules, you have evolved and your skills have evolved.

Everything in life is about evolving your skills and games is no different. What we like as humans is to get better to evolve ourselves, if we can’t find what we do evolving we won’t continue doing it for a very long time. Most ppl don’t work at MC Donalds from 18 until 65 because as humans we need constant new challenges to feel good about ourselves

Zayn Al’Sabaan
Greatsword Chronomancer

Posted by: Uchi.2419

Uchi.2419

Not for me.

And I craft so I don’t sell my mats. I guess you can rephrase it as “Making gold is significantly easy if you don’t take part in most aspects of the game”

which can me turned into

“The game sucks when you only play one narrow way of it”, which is what the OP was doing.

Attachments:

GreenZap.1352

funny that u used mario 64 as a argument xD you do understand that every game that can be turned into a competitive thing has a competitive following right? literrary ANY GAME.
That’s how hardcore ppl is and that’s how much ppl enjoy winning and that is how much ppl like watching other ppl who like to win and be the best and that is the reason that games is fun.

PvP = defeating other players

PvE = defeating the game then maybe compete against others (find all achievements, solve all puzzles, get all costumes, get all secret weapons, time limit etc etc)

Games that is easy mode from the start and automatically hands you the “I win button” = not fun and won’t last very long

Why do you think ppl watches sports? Because they like the game, yes ofc they like the game but what is the other reason…?? Because they like when their team, the team they are rooting for beats every other kittening team in the league! Because then the supporters get the satisfactionly feeling of winning!

Zayn Al’Sabaan
Greatsword Chronomancer

Posted by: Alexnssilent.3690

Alexnssilent.3690

waves you’ll be back…because guess what? the game is free to play…how about that, its like skyrim…you go back to play it and whoa, theres dlc for it…so u play that and the game consumes more of your time.

Deth.4109

Yes, you can get a “higher score” in monopoly. The first time you play it you will suck. You will make the wrong plays, buy the wrong streets, invest your money at the wrong times of the games.
The more you play the game the better you will become at it and the better you become the better plays you will do each time you play the game and that is the progression.

When you have played enough you will prob be better then your parents and lay waste to them. Punish them through the whole game, buying everything exactly as you should, outsmart them and get more money then them and then you will continue to rub it in their faces and laughing at them.

Mario 64 there is ongoing world high scores where you have I think its 3 best in the world players who compete at getting all stars the fastest by manipulating the game mechanics. It have a huge stream following. They try to beat each others scores all the time.

If you don’t want to win at football or whatever real sport then I don’t know why you would be playing them. Ofc I also play on summers with friends “for fun” but you still want to win badly when playing and you will do everything you can to win the game except ofc hurting someone but you get the point.

Talking about MGS or Hitman which have similar mechanics ofc you try to get better. First time you will alarm everything and die. After that you will start to study the game more. What should I do here? What is the patrol routines? Can I get away with this or will I get discovered? The more you play Hitman or MGS the better you will become at making huge plays.

Games is all about progession, if you are at the same level of skill after 3+ hours as you were when you picked up the game the first time then the game is a terrible game. Challenges is what makes games funny, esp against other players where a lot of mindgaming and outsmarting/outthinking/better reaction is involved. Why do you think ppl like watching MoBA or Starcraft tournaments? Because that’s what happens in those games.

If you’ve played DnD for 3 years do you really believe you will still be as bad as it as you were the first time? No you won’t your imagination have evolved and your understanding of the rules, what is possible, how to make good and big plays have evolved.

The first day at your new job you might be a little unsure about your responsibilities but after 2 weeks you will hopefully feel safe there, you understand the rules, you have evolved and your skills have evolved.

Everything in life is about evolving your skills and games is no different. What we like as humans is to get better to evolve ourselves, if we can’t find what we do evolving we won’t continue doing it for a very long time. Most ppl don’t work at MC Donalds from 18 until 65 because as humans we need constant new challenges to feel good about ourselves

being new to something and then learning the ropes is totally different from progression when you all ready know the ropes and are chasing a new goal. "Evolving your understanding is not the same is Evolving your streangth, when you win a championship the only thing left to do is defend your title you cant “progress” any further you must simply face new challenges as they appear in your plataeu and thats guild wars 2s philosiphy same as in guild wars 1 no gear treadmill just new content and once you reach your personal plateau you are now at liberty to do with it what you like.

Deth.4109

funny that u used mario 64 as a argument xD you do understand that every game that can be turned into a competitive thing has a competitive following right? literrary ANY GAME.
That’s how hardcore ppl is and that’s how much ppl enjoy winning and that is how much ppl like watching other ppl who like to win and be the best and that is the reason that games is fun.

PvP = defeating other players

PvE = defeating the game then maybe compete against others (find all achievements, solve all puzzles, get all costumes, get all secret weapons, time limit etc etc)

Games that is easy mode from the start and automatically hands you the “I win button” = not fun and won’t last very long

Why do you think ppl watches sports? Because they like the game, yes ofc they like the game but what is the other reason…?? Because they like when their team, the team they are rooting for beats every other kittening team in the league! Because then the supporters get the satisfactionly feeling of winning!

thats the good part about this game theres no win lose button, you have a choice of either playing to compete with your self or others( for example killing the hardest bosses in this game with out dying once, or going into spvp/wvwvw and executing a flawless victory over your foes.) or you can go casual and play casually with only fun and no sport in mind, so i ask you where does your complaint even stand here?

Posted by: ZedX.6427

ZedX.6427

Runescape > this game

GreenZap.1352

being new to something and then learning the ropes is totally different from progression when you all ready know the ropes and are chasing a new goal. "Evolving your understanding is not the same is Evolving your streangth, when you win a championship the only thing left to do is defend your title you cant “progress” any further you must simply face new challenges as they appear in your plataeu and thats guild wars 2s philosiphy same as in guild wars 1 no gear treadmill just new content and once you reach your personal plateau you are now at liberty to do with it what you like.

The things is if you already knwo the ropes then if you are talking about competitive games its done. The reason MoBas, Starcraft and WoW PvP is still going strong is because they all are evolving. Players find new ways to manipulate the mechanics and new crazy ways to handle their characters.

And I don’t agree “with defending is the only thing left” no it’s not because if you are talking about for example Boxing.. lets take that there will come a champion that are hungrier, younger and maybe want to win more then you. How will you as a older champion beat him:

1.) ofc using your longer experience against him, but if your opponent are stronger, faster and hungrier then you what do you do:

2.) You look at what he does when fighting his opponents, what stance is he using? When does he jab? When does he go for the KO? And what is likely that he will do against you? What is your weaknesses that he that is stronger, and faster and more hungry will try to use against you?

You evolve your game, the only way to keep on winning is to evolve, when you are too old and too tired and can’t evolve anymore that’s when you will lose your title unless we are talking about random occuring things like, dehydration or lack of sleep.

The bottom line is as long as you keep evolving you will do great things. Look at musicians you got oldies like BB King, 87 year old man and still rocks the sock off everything.

Yes he has the rare gift of having talent but so does everyone who are great at something. If you don’t have “talent which makes things easier for you to learn” then you have the talent to take a bigger beating then everyone else to achieve your goals. If you are hungrier then everyone else then you still have that talent.

Now compare BB King, Steve Vai and whatever you want against a musician who does a great album that sells big and then just fall to obscurity. Is this just random? No, ofc you can be unlucky and get signed to a scumbag record studio but the reason BB King still is so great after playing for kitten 87 years is because he still are evolving his way to play, always finding new ways to play better.
People who want something very much and works much harder then everyone else often are rewarded for it, not everyone (because you need luck as well in this world) but most are.

A champ that “only defends his title” won’t be a champ for long dude because if you have that attituted someone will beat the crap out of you. The minute the glow in your eyes fades then you are done. Look at Tyson, he was older but not that old he just didn’t have the fire anymore and he got wrecked.
The moment you can’t run after the antelope and kill it with a spear anymore then you are done and someone new will replace you, someone that is hungrier and want it more then you.

If everything is handed down to you for free then you will never get challenged and thigns would be boring very quickly. Think of it like this; If I gave you 100 million euros tomorrow for free how long before you got bored? Ofc you would travel around the world like 10 times, buy cars, houses, party whatever but sooner or later you would get bored because nothing challenged you anymore.

We humans need challenges and one of the challenges is that 0.0000001% of all ppl (fake stats) are economical independant while all other of us are dreaming about being independant, dreaming of not having to worry about studies, education, getting a job.
All the others of us are chasing a dream of someday be able to support ourselves and our families without having to worry about the bills in the end of the month. We don’t have to be rich but we want this. We want to not having to worry but having to worry about it is also one of the things that balances us.

No worries at all != not how humans work

When we have this we want our children to have it, then we want our grandchildren to have it, life is a constant struggle and trust me without that struggle (yes this is non poverty fortunate struggle) we would be bored and then depressed and prob ended up killing ourselves by alcohol or heavier drugs sooner or later just to feel anything at all.

Life is about challenges and overcoming them and games without constant challenges gets old quick

Zayn Al’Sabaan
Greatsword Chronomancer

Deth.4109

The things is if you already knwo the ropes then if you are talking about competitive games its done. The reason MoBas, Starcraft and WoW PvP is still going strong is because they all are evolving. Players find new ways to manipulate the mechanics and new crazy ways to handle their characters.

And I don’t agree “with defending is the only thing left” no it’s not because if you are talking about for example Boxing.. lets take that there will come a champion that are hungrier, younger and maybe want to win more then you. How will you as a older champion beat him:

1.) ofc using your longer experience against him, but if your opponent are stronger, faster and hungrier then you what do you do:

2.) You look at what he does when fighting his opponents, what stance is he using? When does he jab? When does he go for the KO? And what is likely that he will do against you? What is your weaknesses that he that is stronger, and faster and more hungry will try to use against you?

You evolve your game, the only way to keep on winning is to evolve, when you are too old and too tired and can’t evolve anymore that’s when you will lose your title unless we are talking about random occuring things like, dehydration or lack of sleep.

The bottom line is as long as you keep evolving you will do great things. Look at musicians you got oldies like BB King, 87 year old man and still rocks the sock off everything.

Yes he has the rare gift of having talent but so does everyone who are great at something. If you don’t have “talent which makes things easier for you to learn” then you have the talent to take a bigger beating then everyone else to achieve your goals. If you are hungrier then everyone else then you still have that talent.

Now compare BB King, Steve Vai and whatever you want against a musician who does a great album that sells big and then just fall to obscurity. Is this just random? No, ofc you can be unlucky and get signed to a scumbag record studio but the reason BB King still is so great after playing for kitten 87 years is because he still are evolving his way to play, always finding new ways to play better.
People who want something very much and works much harder then everyone else often are rewarded for it, not everyone (because you need luck as well in this world) but most are.

A champ that “only defends his title” won’t be a champ for long dude because if you have that attituted someone will beat the crap out of you. The minute the glow in your eyes fades then you are done.
The moment you can’t run after the antelope and kill it with a spear anymore then you are done and someone new will replace you, someone that is hungrier and want it more then you.

If everything is handed down to you for free then you will never get challenged and thigns would be boring very quickly. Think of it like this; If I gave you 100 million euros tomorrow for free how long before you got bored? Ofc you would travel around the world like 10 times, buy cars, houses, party whatever but sooner or later you would get bored because nothing challenged you anymore.

We humans need challenges and one of the challenges is that 0.0000001% of all ppl (fake stats) are economical independant.
All the others of us are chasing a dream of someday be able to support ourselves and our families without having to worry about the bills in the end of the month. We don’t have to be rich but we want this.

When we have this we want our children to have it, then we want our grandchildren to have it, life is a constant struggle and trust me without that struggle (yes this is non poverty fortunate struggle) we would be bored and then depressed and prob ended up killing ourselves by alcohol or heavier drugs sooner or later just to feel anything at all.

what you described is not progression its only change, if i every time i do the same thing and my opponent learns to combat me shifting what im doing is not progress at all its literally re-tooling im not getting any better for it, sure ill be better off but ive improved very little if at all. infact if ive made any improvment its only in becoming used to my new method of play.

GreenZap.1352

This generation of “getting something for nothing” is something new. I’m not old but I’m still from the generation that was teached that we have to work to accomplish, we have to strive to prosper.

This attitude of “getting it for free” is very weird and it sound very dangerous as well. So what you basically are going to do nothing in your life and expect to get the same rewards as ppl who bust their kitten off?

I can honestly say that I’m not busting my kitten off in life but doing so I am fully aware and fully agree on that when I’m making the choice to not bust my kitten of I am not entitled the same rewards as people who are working as crazy to reach their goals.

And that is how it should be. You work your kitten off you get rewarded, if you don’t then you have made your choice and won’t get the same rewards thats just how it is, its the basic nature law, ppl who are providers are more important then ppl who leech.

I worry that your attitude of gaming reflect your world opinions. If you don’t believe that you should work hard to get better at a game then how can I believe that you actually are trying to accomplish anything at all with your life?

Zayn Al’Sabaan
Greatsword Chronomancer

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

The third thing I thought was going to be good but turned out to be bad was no Raids and Dungeon gear being cosmetic only.

Did any of you complaining even play Guild Wars 1? Every dungeon looted item was COSMETIC as well. I could get a COLLECTORS weapon and have just as good of stats as anything that came out of FOW, Underworld, The Depths of whatever and every dungeon in Eye of the North.

Of course for those that are VAIN the cosmetic portion of that part of the game is what they played and paid for. Just like this game. I knew that COMING IN because it was stated many times GW2 would be a lot like GW1 in cosmetics respect and equipment stats.

Don’t get me wrong though even though I KNEW what it was going to be like I secretly hoped they would add something that would give us that like character progression in the game. I like weapons that are more powerful than the norm myself. I’d like Legendary weapons to be what we got in the deepest depth of the dungeons and only the bravest and most skilled players would get them BUT and this is a big BUT I didn’t want them to be so powerful that they made the casuals or those less skilled cry about it.

You know a weapon with maybe +5 more points of power all around. Or a weapon that has a skill we can use in our skill choices that others can’t, stuff like that. It wouldn’t make us super humans but it would give DRIVE to the game for those that like better stat loot instead of COSMETICS.

Please don’t say “Go Play WOW” I don’t want to PAY $15 a month for what I’m stating above I/WE want. I want a NO MONTHLY FEE MAJOR MMO like this game to do that for us. I don’t know why ANET is soooooooooooooooooooo adamant about every body gets the same stats but everybody doesn’t look the same in their design decision. They are losing players fast because of this after they came and played and are now finding out this is just a cosmetic MMO game.

I got to level 40 and now I am even bored because I know once I get to 80 there’s only going to be cosmetics to earn and then what? In GW1 I NEVER bought a 15K armor set as I just thought it was ridiculous to spend that kind of money on LOOKS when my 1500 gold set of Kurzick armor on my female character looked hot enough and that’s all I ever bought for her except the cheap stuff getting to the level 20 stuff.

Also you wouldn’t believe all the comments and ewwws and ahhhhh I got from my 1500gp suit I made for my Necro from Nightfall stock. She looked like a bumble bee in yellow and black.

Cosmetics is ok for those that are into vanity but it’s not for me either.

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

I disagree with pretty much everything the OP said.

The removal of the trinity has nothing to do with being able to rez and return to dungeon fights that are already in progress.

The example of why the OP thinks the downed state is bad is a perfect example of why I think the downed state is great. The downed state obviously adds strategy and objectives to combat. Flocking to a downed player and then being AoE’d down is the result of good or bad strategy (depending on if you were the one giving or taking the AoE damage).

You can’t farm enough gold in 2 days to get “enough gold to buy a full set of exotics in any stat configuration”. It’s a dishonest assertion.

WvW was never meant to be perfectly balanced.

Commander Tome? Pay 100g if you want a blue arrow to get pugs to listen to you, don’t if you don’t. It could’ve been done better but you don’t need this in order to tell your guild members who to listen to.

50% of the people you know quit a game that, like first person shooters, has no monthly fee? How long do I have to stop playing Borderlands 2 before I should create a post on their forums informing them that I quit?

The rest of the post was mostly flaming.

Glad you had fun. Enjoy PS2!

GreenZap.1352

what you described is not progression its only change, if i every time i do the same thing and my opponent learns to combat me shifting what im doing is not progress at all its literally re-tooling im not getting any better for it, sure ill be better off but ive improved very little if at all. infact if ive made any improvment its only in becoming used to my new method of play.

Either we have two very different perspectives of the world progression or we want two very different things from life.

I’ve been kick boxing for about 2 years now I’ll give you the advice to check out any contanct sport because what you are talking about is kinda far out the wrong direction of how things in the ring actually works.

Dictionary entry overview: What does progression mean?
• PROGRESSION (noun)
The noun PROGRESSION has 3 senses:
1. a series with a definite pattern of advance
2. a movement forward
3. the act of moving forward toward a goal

Time for me to go to bed NN

Zayn Al’Sabaan
Greatsword Chronomancer

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

Only read the comments lol

Deth.4109

This generation of “getting something for nothing” is something new. I’m not old but I’m still from the generation that was teached that we have to work to accomplish, we have to strive to prosper.

This attitude of “getting it for free” is very weird and it sound very dangerous as well. So what you basically are going to do nothing in your life and expect to get the same rewards as ppl who bust their kitten off?

I can honestly say that I’m not busting my kitten off in life but doing so I am fully aware and fully agree on that when I’m making the choice to not bust my kitten of I am not entitled the same rewards as people who are working as crazy to reach their goals.

And that is how it should be. You work your kitten off you get rewarded, if you don’t then you have made your choice and won’t get the same rewards thats just how it is, its the basic nature law, ppl who are providers are more important then ppl who leech.

I worry that your attitude of gaming reflect your world opinions. If you don’t believe that you should work hard to get better at a game then how can I believe that you actually are trying to accomplish anything at all with your life?

this made me laugh im sorry, but #1 why are you worrying about what im doing in my life based off my opinion of video games??? it says your either self righteous or just obsessive. #2 theres and important destinction to make here, in this GAME<< you are at liberty to play the way you wish and every one is on eqaul footing. in real LIFE your kinda arent at liberty to live how you would like, there are benefical and and unbenefical choices, smart ones and deadly ones. in real LIFE every one is not truely equal so you must progress progress progress but games were and are meant to be an escape from that thats the point im trying to make.

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

All the complaints stem from 1 thing imo:

The combat and classes are incredibly shallow and the game simply isn’t that much fun to play.

That’s why people are struggling to find reasons to keep going. The game is boring.

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

The entire two-post-wall-of-text OP summarizes as:

I can’t figure out how to play without a Tank and Healer.
I like endless Pavlovian Raid Grinds.
Bugs make me cry; devs: push ‘insta-fix’ button NAO.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

flyinpoons.6481

Your post summarizes as:

I’m terrible at playing traditional MMO’s.
I want things with little real effort.
I hate anyone that thinks any other way, but enjoy criticizing them for criticizing.

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

So, basically…

1. The PvP is unbalanced.
2. You feel people are too used to the ‘Holy Trinity’ and don’t want to wait for them to learn to play better.
3. You feel like ANet’s not listening at all.

That’s all understandable.

I, on the other hand, don’t really mind all the kinks. It’s the selling-points like the personal storyline, dynamic events, and general feel of a high-quality non-P2P MMO that keep me playing.
Stuff like PvP and Gear are just side-notes for what I look for. (Presuming they’re aesthetically acceptable)

The only (non-aesthetic) thing I really want is a Dungeon Finder / Queue, so finding groups will stop being a tedious chore of map-chat spamming.

Maybe in a future patch, we’ll both get some of the things we want.
But until then…

Cheers, man. Have fun with Planetside 2.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

I respect your opinion, I just don’t agree with any of them.

Raids didn’t require teamwork it required classes. Although some elements of GW2 has that currently do to some of the “solutions” to stop players from cheating through dungeons (blame those players, not ArenaNet), I can do a lot of dungeons with just everyone as one class. Dungeons do require teamwork. Not sure which you’ve been doing, but I play dungeons a lot and see lots of teamwork involved. When there isn’t any communication, we normally wipe.

This “You can just continue to run back” BS really needs to stop. A vast majority of the waypoints aren’t even near a boss. If a group wipes, the boss resets. All it really takes is one person to stay alive to keep the boss going, but you still get that wipe feeling if you can’t take down a boss and get killed. There are hardly any elements to the game in which you can just continue to run back in dungeons.

Guild Wars 1 was also about cosmetics. I’ve said this a bunch of time but GW2 isn’t a gearscore game (that ruined WoW) nor is it a leveling game. Guild Wars 2 is about the journey and about balanced attack. If people want unique sets by doing dungeons, then that is fine. I also know the best farming methods currently in the game (as do a lot), and it actually is about equal. You can get a full set from a dungeon in a day, it’s just that the update which lowered the “badge” reward for doing a dungeon twice a day discourages players from constantly running it. Get a good guild or party, and you can easily get a full set in 2 days.

The only thing I even come close to agreeing with you is that things like the “grub” should be taken out of WvW. There isn’t much of a need. But the NPCs and what not work. It’s just these champions that drag teams away. But, organized guilds can take out an entire zerg. I know, I’ve done it multiple times.

Night capping is something that happens because the game is online for 24 hours. Do you seriously expect ArenaNet to take out a major piece of content for those that can only play at night? I work graveyard on the pacific coast. Am I not allowed to play WvW on my weekend because your server doesn’t have as many players? We still haven’t gone to 2 week long battles in WvW. Balancing is still happening. People are still trying to find a world for themselves. Once it’s balanced, this “night capping” issue will be fixed. But it’s not a “oh my bad” by ArenaNet. I’d be kitten if I couldn’t WvW because you guys cry about me having a different playing schedule.

People that complain about PvE ruined the game for themselves. The PvE element works and there is a sense of endgame. The only problem is fools rushed the game. Some people got to 80 before the game officially launched. Some got to 80 in the BWE in which the highest level zone was 25-35. People rushed the game and ruined it for themselves, or rushed to get a stupid title for doing 100% completion.

Sorry you didn’t like it, but ArenaNet shouldn’t change anything to what you suggested. Oh, the worst part is you actually think Blizzard communicates to their community. I lol’d when I read that. I’ve been waiting for this game for 5 years, and even tried WoW during that course. It was god awful and a terrible game design. Was literally meant for people with no lives that only play games for kitten or progression. I tried D3 as well, which was full of problems. Never heard a word from Blizzard. Meanwhile, ArenaNet communicated with us daily (and still does) during the process of release to launch. Sure, that communication has become a bit more quiet, but that is likely because they’re done showcasing their game and are working on improvements. We still have 2 more continents to go after the next 4 Elder Dragons are released. Lots of room.

Have fun with your WoW or whatever game you were going to play. But don’t tell them to change their game when you’ve already decided to leave it. It’s fine the way it is.

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

Your post summarizes as:

I hate anyone that thinks any other way, but enjoy criticizing them for criticizing.

I literally LOL’d. Let’s revisit that list:

Being terrible at traditional MMO’s is impossible for anyone who’s nominally functional (and yes, been there and ‘succeeded’ at that).

Grind != Effort

Criticism for unrealisitc expectations/lack of patience does not imply hatred for anything. You do seem to be in a hurry to demonize me though.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

flyinpoons.6481

Your post summarizes as:

I literally LOL’d. Let’s revisit that list:

Being terrible at traditional MMO’s is impossible for anyone who’s nominally functional (and yes, been there and ‘succeeded’ at that).

Grind != Effort

Criticism for unrealisitc expectations/lack of patience does not imply hatred for anything. You do seem to be in a hurry to demonize me though.

Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

tldr: gw2 isn’t enough like wow. it’s too different in its metagame and i can’t take it. 50% of all the people i know left the game. that’s me. i’m the 50%. sure, everyone says nigel is a figment of my imagination, but he’s not. he’s real. i’ve seen him. he drinks my gatorade.

this game is unplayable because other people are playing it and loving it. that means it’s no longer cool. i’m going where all the cool kids are at. all 1 of us. nigel’s staying with you.

bah. humbug.

p.s. bumcapes are silly.

Posted by: Xocolatl.6890

Xocolatl.6890

- I really wish that the WvWvW resource nodes would have special function, giving your team’s NPC a boost, etc, reinforcement, more supplies to boost your constructions, etc. That’d be kinda fun.

- Level scaling is nifty.. but if my gear doesn’t scale, I’m screwed anyway. It’s not fun or productive to fight someone when I have 200DPS on them, and they have 600DPS on me. In old WoW BGs, lowbies contribute by running around being cannon fodders, gathering resources, or acting as intelligence units. Granted it wasn’t the best system, but it does give you a sense of contribution. In GW2…since there is none of the little subquests in WvWvW, you can’t do anything at all.

- What I would like most, is a complete tutorial of WvWvW—-OUTSIDE OF THE INSTANCE. A LOT of people end up standing around trying to get a hang of the thing and clogging up the queue instead of fighting. I do that too, honestly. And I still feel guilty to this day. (Worse yet, I haven’t even read the whole tutorial, because I know I was clogging up the queue for way too long)

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

I think it is safe to say that there are many types of mmo players. I don’t think there will ever be a game that will satisfy everyone. As such, there will always be a percentage of dissatisfied players who will have something to complain about in any game. In this particular game it happens to be those groups of players who want the holy trinity, gear treadmills, raids, some of the more hardcore elements of mmo gaming, and game hoppers (elitist?) who are, for whatever reason, hard to satisfy.

That is not GW2.

GW2 does not have, and has never claimed to at any point implement the holy trinity, gear treadmills, raids, or any sort of those hardcore elements of mmo gaming.

However, because of GW2’s popularity, many players accustomed to playing many other mmo’s have been introduced to GW2 and Anet’s vision for their mmo. Will they all like it? No. That would be an unreasonable expectation. So they come on the forums and express their opinion.

Let them.

Ultimately, Anet will just do it’s thing and continue developing and adding to this wonderful game. It will find its niche, just as GW1 did, and achieve success with the large corps of casual gamers who do not like, or are not beholden, to the holy trinity, gear treadmills, raids, or any of the more hardcore elements of mmo gaming.

… and we will all live happily ever after

We are not hamsters!

(edited by Curlybaby.6258)

Posted by: Xian.5204

Xian.5204

I completely agree with the OP on all counts.

Posted by: IomegadriveOne.5291

IomegadriveOne.5291

I want people to take notice of what Cayden posts. Click his name and read his messages. This guy is a walking ad for Planetside 2. Never has anything nice to say at all unless it is someone who agrees with him, and has an overall holier than thou attitude. I thought I recognized him from somewhere. Yet in this post he tries his best to come off as civil and respectful. Just another troll. It also seems that this negative attitude started to occur when his server started to lose in WvW. He goes from being supportive, helpful, and encouraging to complete rage in no time.

(edited by IomegadriveOne.5291)

ravinhood.3981

this made me laugh im sorry, but #1 why are you worrying about what im doing in my life based off my opinion of video games??? it says your either self righteous or just obsessive. #2 theres and important destinction to make here, in this GAME<< you are at liberty to play the way you wish and every one is on eqaul footing. in real LIFE your kinda arent at liberty to live how you would like, there are benefical and and unbenefical choices, smart ones and deadly ones. in real LIFE every one is not truely equal so you must progress progress progress but games were and are meant to be an escape from that thats the point im trying to make.

Why must or do you think games are MEANT to be an ESCAPE from the real world? I’m not trying to escape from the real world when I play a game I’m trying to do something else I’d LIKE to do in the real world and PROGRESS in the fantasy world as well.

All my life I’ve always been taught and seen that accomplishment and achievement is more REWARDING than just trudging along doing the same thing just for a paycheck. I’ve always looked for ways to BETTER myself (stats of my life) and learn something new. I guess some of the people today are more LAZY and LAID BACK and don’t want to accomplish anything or achieve anything or really WORK for anything. Those on UNEMPLOYMENT in this country and sucking up the EXTRA weeks they’ve been getting and begging for more are a PRIME example of the laziness and lackadazical attitudes many have today.

But, in fairness games should have a bit of BOTH worlds in them where those that like to PROGRESS and ACHIEVE can and those that just want everything on a lazy playing silver platter can get their cheap reward too.

Posted by: Drake.7952

Drake.7952

I do not think these are game changingly bad features…. Just issues… I’m sure these things can be fixed. The game at its core is still impressive and I won’t leave it anytime soon. If you do, I hope you find your dream game! Good luck!

“I used to be a hero, but then I took a Trahearne to the knee.”
– Vick Frayn- Elementalist.

ravinhood.3981

Yep for me the dream game would be the MAINSTREAM MMO that has PROGRESSION and NO MONTHLY FEE. Still waiting on what would be the best MMO evah. No, I don’t want to go play Maple Street or any of those other independent games because their graphics suck for one thing. lol

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

GW2 isn’t different, it just didn’t include basic things. Not sure why some people pretend that heavily restricting what you can do, how you do it and how much you can do it is a good thing but this is the only innovation GW2 brings other than some shallow UI changes to how quests are portrayed.

Group PvE play is terrible, worst in the genre.

This is so completely and utterly true. The ONLY thing they did was:

- remove rewards

- remove trinity (coordinated play)

- trivialize leveling

- ship the game with no end-game

- recycled the few boring dungeons with 3-4 “paths” each which is more of the same old

- removed any interesting/challenging mechanics from both DEs and dungeons

- mask the classic quest style with “DEs”

AND advertised all those as FEATURES. Yay! Not… :/

It could fly until the game was released, now most of us can see it’s real face. And it has FAIL written all over it.

Posted by: Cataclysm.7491

Cataclysm.7491

I disagree with most of the OP’s points and i’d like to simply focus on the OP’s last paragraph.

Quote from OP “CCP/Blizzard/SOE all have one thing in common, they talk to their players, listen to them, and aren’t afraid to make the big decisions when something needs real fixing. It was an unfortunate ride that was filled with more hope than fun. Take care ANet maybe in another 5 years you will put out another game that will be better managed.”

They all have 1 thing in common… their games have been out 6-8 years longer than GW2. ANet handled their previous GW well which gives no reason to doubt them with GW2 at present time.

WoW for example had so many things wrong with it when it was released and they still stuggle expansion after expansion with major flaws in their game. Players describe the whole Cataclysm expansion off as a poor, boring expansion.

I for one am enjoying GW2 and i’m interested to where they take it.

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

I disagree with most of the OP’s points and i’d like to simply focus on the OP’s last paragraph.

Quote from OP “CCP/Blizzard/SOE all have one thing in common, they talk to their players, listen to them, and aren’t afraid to make the big decisions when something needs real fixing. It was an unfortunate ride that was filled with more hope than fun. Take care ANet maybe in another 5 years you will put out another game that will be better managed.”

They all have 1 thing in common… their games have been out 6-8 years longer than GW2. ANet handled their previous GW well which gives no reason to doubt them with GW2 at present time.

WoW for example had so many things wrong with it when it was released and they still stuggle expansion after expansion with major flaws in their game. Players describe the whole Cataclysm expansion off as a poor, boring expansion.

I for one am enjoying GW2 and i’m interested to where they take it.

WoW has the QUALITY and CONTENT to keep people interested for 8 years. GW2 doesn’t have the aforementioned to keep players interested for 2 months.

Ouch.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

It’s obvious that the OP can’t live without and end game gear grind. ANet has always been very clear on this, since the very first announcement of GW2.

And about Blizzard listening to players… that’s the most funny thing I’ve read lately. I’m what you could call a WoW fan, I’ve played the game for 8 years (since US beta), but Blizzard devs have become utterly arrogant, certainly due to their success, and they definitely don’t listen to the players. Ghostcrawler is possibly the most arrogant “know it all” of the industry.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Fenes.6013

Fenes.6013

I hate the holy trinity. I don’t want to wait for that class we need to do a dungeon -or worse, like in EQ1, to do anything at all. I especially hate the way only one class/spec usually is accepted for a single role in the trinity, leaving the other classes/specs technically meant for the same role out of luck. Even without the trinity you can and should work together, it’s just less obvious, and feels more organic. You feel more like a character in a world, and less like a piece of a puzzle, or a cog in a machine in GW2.

I like the downed state. It gives you a way out, even in solo pve you sometimes can get up again. In WvWvW I found it only helped to get up again in fights where enemies could not DB you, otherwise you were dead.

I love dungeon gear being cosmetic only. Nothing worse than a big gear grind just so you can grind for more gear to get more gear, just so you don’t fall off the threadmill and get left behind of new content. I don’t need nor want that kind of motivation, I do Dungeons for fun when I want to, and I like not having to do them to advance. I like not having to grind dungeons in a certain order just to get to a point where I can do the “endgame”.

Posted by: Gabi.5264

Gabi.5264

@Korrigan

It’s pretty obvious you didn’t even bother to read the post, it’s a well written post without any attack or insult to anyone (company or players), things are like that, but like most people you can’t accept the fact that the game is bad while you still play it (and not because it’s revolutionary, but because you got nothing else to do).

Anet has a lot of issues, managing forums is one of them, people complaints should NOT be deleted, they should be HANDLED, we are customers since we bought the game, i for one because of their marketing department, they sure did a hell of a job advertising and pointing out the good side of the game, they hid the other side though, which makes the good one look like a tiny little brother.

Korrigan.4837

@Korrigan

It’s pretty obvious you didn’t even bother to read the post, it’s a well written post without any attack or insult to anyone (company or players), things are like that, but like most people you can’t accept the fact that the game is bad while you still play it (and not because it’s revolutionary, but because you got nothing else to do).

Anet has a lot of issues, managing forums is one of them, people complaints should NOT be deleted, they should be HANDLED, we are customers since we bought the game, i for one because of their marketing department, they sure did a hell of a job advertising and pointing out the good side of the game, they hid the other side though, which makes the good one look like a tiny little brother.

I perfectly read the post, and I definitely didn’t insult the OP either. It’s not a major insult or flaw to prefer games with an infinite end game gear grind (the famous carrot). Hell, I also enjoy that play style (WoW for 8 years, including hard mode / heroic raiding). But I can also enjoy the GW2 style which doesn’t require a gear grind to be competitive and then play the game just for the fun of it (I also played AC1 for 6+ years).

And about my comment about Blizzard, I know how they manage their game very well, as I said I play it since US beta 8 years ago (still have an active account). At the beginning, they were pretty good at customer service and developer communication, but it’s over, they have become arrogant. The team which was managing WoW at release is long gone, replaced by people like Ghostcrawler.

But you seem to display an extreme intolerance for people who happen to like this game, to the point of being insulting. “but like most people you can’t accept the fact that the game is bad while you still play it”. I beg your pardon? So because you say the game is bad, I wrong for liking it and I can’t accept the ultimate truth you are holding? You got to be kidding me, right?

Next time you lecture people, be sure you are not worse than them in your post.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

Posted by: Gabi.5264

Gabi.5264

I would very much love to repeat what i just said, but you can just as well read it all over again.

Intolerance: it’s a fact you can not like all the bugs in the game, all the lack of content, all the class “tweaking” post launch (take thief for example, i play ranger as a main, but ever since the start they did nothing but nerf that class, even the auto attack for rangers short bow “fix” where they nerfed dps for an animation glitch). How in god’s name are you soposed to like that?

Korrigan.4837

I never said you had to like the bugs. I dislike bugs as much as anyone else. Mind you, I still have 100% world exploration on my main, despite the bugs, so while there are bugs, I have yet to find a game breaking one.

What I don’t accept is that you tell me I’m wrong for liking a game, that I can’t accept it’s bad, that I play it just because I’ve nothing else to do. That is insulting. Keep posting YOUR opinion, don’t try to assume what is mine and why I’m wrong to have it, thank you very much, I’m no kid but a 44 years old adult and I’m old enough to know what I enjoy and what I do not, I don’t need you to tell me ;-)