My first impressions of Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yocchan.8902

Yocchan.8902

Well, the MMO I played before GW2 was Aion, but I never got to the level cap. I simply couldn’t stand how clunky the system was. It might have been good enough for me at the start, but after a couple of GW2 beta weekends I just couldn’t stand questing and farming mobs for xp, so I simply stopped playing altogether. What I love with GW2 is that I can actually survive around the game without a set of the top tier armor, it’s a really nice change from the usual elitism MMO games out there. Perfect for someone like me, seaching for immersion – it’s what this game provides the best.

Posted by: Zedex.3814

Zedex.3814

Well, the MMO I played before GW2 was Aion, but I never got to the level cap. I simply couldn’t stand how clunky the system was. It might have been good enough for me at the start, but after a couple of GW2 beta weekends I just couldn’t stand questing and farming mobs for xp, so I simply stopped playing altogether. What I love with GW2 is that I can actually survive around the game without a set of the top tier armor, it’s a really nice change from the usual elitism MMO games out there. Perfect for someone like me, seaching for immersion – it’s what this game provides the best.

True, the survive-ability is much more available for your character. You have utilities + you’ll get to “fight to survive”- waves. It’s not as dependent regarding gear compared to other games out there.

Posted by: Kirk Seeker.6497

Kirk Seeker.6497

after couple of weeks the voice acting will not disturb you. In Any case voice/music/sounds is good. But some times bugged.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I got almost to the end of the thread feeling that for once there is a positive thing here. Everyone has their own experience of course and no game is ever going to be perfect.

I just wanted to say that after 5 months and, let me check, age of 1469 hours, I still find plenty to do in game. Maybe it is because I haven’t ever been one to get great drops. Who knows? I do have three lvl 80 characters currently in exotic gear and three lvl 60 ‘contenders’ whom I have equipped with the best craftable armor and weapons. Even though people tell me it is wasting resources, it is my decision to make life a bit easier on the younger recruits. I’m also planning on recruiting two more characters as soon as enough gold gets saved.

Dungeons scare me right now after this patch, but I will have to try to get the monthly requirement done at least.

Enough about my oddities. This is just to say that people are different. Some get bored with the things others love to do. I hope all of you new ones will have a great time!

Posted by: Grumm.4359

Grumm.4359

So, as I see all fanboys has written their opinon about GW2. Now a couple true words about game. By the way I know how to compare, I have played in EvE more then 2 years, Warhammer Online – 3 Years, Fallen Earth – 1 year, AoC – 1 Year, and some small projects like Vindictus, WoT, Warthunder etc. Yes First expression is – WTH IT’S THE BEST GAME EVER… I’m playing in GW2 from beta.
So after I have reach max lvl on 2 chars, have completed my personal story, have opened full map, have received 5 dungeons sets (some twice on both chars), have made all story/expl mods in all dungeons and finally have made all jump puzles – all this has taken from me – 4 months of playing.
Now I have NOTHING TO DO in this game. Farming of dragons, not ingteresting yet, moreover nothing good is dropped from them. You will tell me about Legendary weapon? First drop chance is too small, and I’m borring to grind it, Second, for what? For receiving +4 strength? Legendary weapon – its one of too many fails of Anet.

For now my interes to the game near 20%. After patch, when dungeons was totaly ruined for PUG and casuals, I have nothing to do there at all.
WvW – is borring 2 maps- it’s lol! In WAR I have had too many RvR maps + Capitals + Forts.
Crafting is too easy, and you needn’t your craft, cause all sets you can receive from dungeons.

So now I receive only game with superior grafic, but without inner world and full of grinding. That’s why Anet has lost and continue loosing peoples. This game becomes not people oritiered.

So now I’m playing in SWTOR, and find it’s amazing, for 2 weeks I’m lvl50 sith, still I have too many to do there.

Why is it that people seem to think that merely having played other games somehow magically bestows upon them the ability to compare and contrast them in a meaningful, rational way?

I played SWTOR for a while, and fi anything it’s far more of a grind than GW2 ever will be. Sure, there’s a whopping 4 raids to go on, where loot is a crapshoot (even if the raid leader doesn’t hand it out to the people he or she likes). Sure, there’s a vouple of dozen dailies to grind out over and over again so that you can get some minor pieces of gear. And worse, it feels like a grind; it’s not like in GW2 where they hide it and even make it fun.

Honestly, you could probably grind out everything you needed or wanted in SWtOR in about a month if they didn’t limit you to running each raid once a week.

And now that they literally nickle-and-dime you to death on every single feature of the game since going F2P (you want to wear that top-tier armor? better break out your wallet) there is absolutely no comparison.

Posted by: phetaduck.9816

phetaduck.9816

What do you guys think about Vistas? Are they an absolute important part of the game?

Though I sometimes enjoy the view, most of the time I just like to find them and the way to them. I like exploration in general so the fact that I’m actually rewarded for exploring vistas, points of interest, etc is just icing on the cake.

Posted by: phetaduck.9816

phetaduck.9816

Well, I can admit that GW2 has a lot of top-gear grinding but not in comparison with SW:TOR. I can understend how one can love SW:TOR because he loves Star Wars universe. But to love SW:TOR as a game? To say that SW:TOR has less grind then something? Look, so far the only game that has more grinding then SW:TOR was Lineage 2. To those of you who haven’t played SW:TOR combat mechanics, abilities and talent trees was stripped from WoW and not from modern WoW but from 2005 WoW. Even so they did it wrong so combat was clunky and stiff just like they say “stand and press buttons and watch animations” though such words is mostly false for majority of the games, for SW:TOR in particular these words are true. Levelling in SW:TOR is also grindy. I remember one particular quest where I shoud go and kill 15 mobs they were standing in groups of three with one other mob that I didn’t need to kill. After that I was sent to blow some crates that was guarded by the those mobs I just killed and they have respawned already. After that I was sent to kill mobs that was in groups with previouse ones. Such quests aren’t exception they are rule for SW:TOR. And WAR is dead because besides WvW he has nothing to offer. Aion was dead right after birth. Tera has great visuals but they forgot add gameplay in their game. WoW is still great game but I had too much of it.

Posted by: Dantaeus Heardt.5730

Dantaeus Heardt.5730

Zedex welcome to GW2!!!! I’d like to give my opinion on the matter. I am also a former SWtOR player but the reason I left tOR was due to the community, maybe it was just the server I was on but they just weren’t helpful for the most part. Being that tOR was the second MMO I actually bought and had my own account on( First was DCUO but the gear grind after lvl cap was too much for me so I don’t play that much anymore either )I was discouraged and eventually dropped the game. Most of the MMO’s I played as a kid I played off older family or friends accounts with an alt so I was excited about tOR, it isn’t a bad game imo I love the story and class progression but it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Guild Wars 2 while not a wholly perfect is a game I thoroughly enjoy! There are things I’d like to see improved on such as different weapon skills that we could equip just like the utility skills and more lvl 80 zones in the same vein as Orr( no hearts, just events ). Other than that everything else I wish to see has been addressed by the devs in the coming months updates. Now what I do love about the game is I don’t feel forced to do any type of content, I waited until lvl 80 to start dungeons, do map exploration, and I’m slowly working on items for a legendary weapon. I play WvW, meta event chains, and create activities with my guild to keep things fresh and exciting. For myself it’s nice to be able to break my content up so I don’t feel like I’m endlessly grinding and become bored( but yes GW2 does have a grind it’s just not as punishing as other games I have experienced ). The latest thing I really enjoy is the Living Story I’m really hoping they continue to do things like this so that the world actually feels dynamic and always changing. Guild Wars 2 is an amazing game, it may not be for everyone but it suits me very well!!

Dantaeus X Heardt Ranger Lvl 80
Zhaitans Tears Guild[ TWS ] NSP

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Greetings, nice to hear folks having a good time. I certainly am.

My impressions of Guild Wars 2 to date have been pretty good. As someone who also played its predacessor, I find the world and lore very familiar. Everyday I run into little pieces of info about things that happened either during my playtime in Guild Wars or in the subsequent gap between that time and this games timeline. It’s a real treat.

It’s the little details in Guild Wars 2 that really blow me away sometimes. Hmm, last thing to really jump out at me was few days ago…
I was sitting near a vendor while compiling a list of certain armor pieces I wanted for my mesmer. Out of the corner of my eye an asura comes walking over the bridge and begins having this conversation with another npc. They have this long session of small talk where he finally asks for directions to a vendor. She points him in the direction of the crafting market place (in Lions Arch) where he then proceeds to. For some reason I felt compelled to follow him. He buys some items and then travels across a bridge and out through the nearby asura gate.

I was like wth, that just happened and began to describe it to guildies. Next, minutes later a group of travelers come through the gate and the Lionsguard stops them as if they were TSA checking passports. I thought, wow. It’s these sort of things that are really cool to me. Like I’m just a random in this world. Anet so far has fleshed out these little details that I seem to notice moreso than in other MMO’s, I should say in other themepark MMO’s in the past. I also can’t get enough NPC’s fighting each other. I can’t count on two hands how many times I have found deer fighting baddies and kickin butt.

The combat system on the ground floor is great. I’m not complaining about the lack of weapon skills mainly because I understand it’s a launch title, more to come I’m sure. I too think I was spoiled with the robust skill system in the first game. I just weapon swap a whole lot to equal what I would do in other MMO’s. Lets be honest, in other games you have 40-50 skills of which you probably only use around 10-15 with 5 more being situational. I liked the 8 skill setup with the first game. I like this set up also.

Spvp. I can see where this game type needs work, but such is the genre…it’s never really done. If Anet builds here, which I’m sure they will. I can see it doing well. I have fun with it currently, but the flip side is that the one game type makes me cringe.

WvW. There have been some huge battles, some long endurance test and ofc some frustration with culling. All in all though, great exp. This needs work too, but I have had a good time here in the Mist.

I have never once felt rushed to do anything in this game. I’ve taken my time. Other themeparks usually have me rushing to cap so that I could be on par w/the top end. I would then backtrack content from there. I don’t feel the need to do that here. Something I aslo liked about it’s parent.

I will say though, I am someone who likes to farm. I just haven’t had that chance due to all the things I hear about dreturns. Not sure about others, but farmingreally extends my time MMO’s. When I look at (specifically) the lodestones needed to craft some of these weapons, I want to farm them and not purchase them from the tp. But DR scares me off. The already poor droprates scare me off. This I think needs work.

(edited by Akari Storm.6809)

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Like many I have played a large amount of this game type, sand box and themepark. I too played SWTOR for the better of 6 months. I liked enough about SWTOR to keep me playing for even that long. I am a Star Wars and KOTOR fan so I had to give it a try. I didn’t like the fact that my maruader couldn’t wear robes, sith robes. That alone would have kept me playing. The class stories were good, I did them all. I liked Huttball and early on didn’t mind grinding Battlemaster Bags (before they chnged it). I liked skills like force leap, force pull, gotcha……force choke, death from above and sleep dart. The raid content wasn’t terrible. Gear was easy to get. I had huge problems with the games engine. Hero is supposed to be a great engine these days, but I guess the version used was modded out so much that they weren’t able to get updates or w/e from it’s creator. Well, if that was the case it showed. Overall the game felt very dated, but I stuck through atleast until I finished each storyline.

I even went back when it went FTP and can’t even look at that game after looking at this one. It’s wierd. I can go back and play atari games after playing pc and current console games, but can’t look at SWTOR after playing this. I think either this game looks that good or I am now Guild Wars 2 programmed. Then again, Aion, Rift, Tera and even the original Guild Wars still look good so I don’t know.

P.S. I think this game could use some version of boss drops, similar to green weapons found in GW.

Anyhow, need moar whiskey. Cheers!!!

(edited by Akari Storm.6809)

Posted by: Aisa.2817

Aisa.2817

I completely agree about the random NPC conversations. I forgot where it was, but I was just hanging out at a vendor, selling/salvaging crap. Then the golem nearby starts talking to a deer. It was pretty funny.

Give me coffee or give me…. Screw it. Just give me coffee.

http://epicstory.herobo.com

Posted by: Dantaeus Heardt.5730

Dantaeus Heardt.5730

Agreed on the random NPC convos are amazing!!! I never got really deep into GW1 I have it installed don’t my PC I just don’t play it :/ I do agree about Akari’s comment on weapon skills, I do believe we will see more in the future( at least I hope so ). GW2 is still a young game with plenty of time to grow I’m just glad one of my best friends told me about this game so that I can experience the growth!

Dantaeus X Heardt Ranger Lvl 80
Zhaitans Tears Guild[ TWS ] NSP

Zedex.3814

Thank you guys for keeping the glow in this thread!
Very sorry, I had to shorten down some of your quotes due to post length issues!

Zedex welcome to GW2!!!! I’d like to give my opinion on the matter. I am also a former SWtOR player but the reason I left tOR was due to the community, maybe it was just the server I was on but they just weren’t helpful for the most part. Being that tOR was the second MMO I actually bought and had my own account on( First was DCUO but the gear grind after lvl cap was too much for me so I don’t play that much anymore either )I was discouraged and eventually dropped the game. Most of the MMO’s I played as a kid I played off older family or friends accounts with an alt so I was excited about tOR, it isn’t a bad game imo I love the story and class progression but it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

…(My post is too long :x)

Hello Danta, and thank you so much for your kindness!

I’m sorry for the money you’ve spent on Star Wars: The Old Republic. I agree with you in your statements. The community became sort of filtered when the server merged, and many of the people that stayed were quite grumpy. People didn’t talk when you found groups in the Group Finder, and the general chat was nothing but “POST on the RIGHT channel!”.

As you pointed out, even though I had a good time and the game was amazing with 17 planets etc., it needed something. I don’t know what, probably balance. I just felt like the games properties were separated – in short, the puzzle needed to be solved. There were some things people did a lot of such as PvP, and sometimes I was the only soul in a space mission. That is obviously a sign of the lacking interest in certain areas of the game.

Guild Wars 2 is amazing. Many people talk about the weapon system and such, but I don’t find it quite problematic at the moment. I’ve only played it for one week obviously, so it’d be wrong saying everything is perfect for me, even though it really feels like it is. The more I get into the game, the more opinions I’ll have — but at this time being it’s stunning. Thank you Danta!

Greetings, nice to hear folks having a good time. I certainly am.

My impressions of Guild Wars 2 to date have been pretty good. As someone who also played its predacessor, I find the world and lore very familiar. Everyday I run into little pieces of info about things that happened either during my playtime in Guild Wars or in the subsequent gap between that time and this games timeline. It’s a real treat.

…(my post is too long :x)..

The combat system on the ground floor is great. I’m not complaining about the lack of weapon skills mainly because I understand it’s a launch title, more to come I’m sure. I too think I was spoiled with the robust skill system in the first game. I just weapon swap a whole lot to equal what I would do in other MMO’s. Lets be honest, in other games you have 40-50 skills of which you probably only use around 10-15 with 5 more being situational. I liked the 8 skill setup with the first game. I like this set up also.

… sorry! ..

I have never once felt rushed to do anything in this game. I’ve taken my time. Other themeparks usually have me rushing to cap so that I could be on par w/the top end. I would then backtrack content from there. I don’t feel the need to do that here. Something I aslo liked about it’s parent.

… post too long..

Greetings to you, Akari – welcome to the thread!

The story you’re telling is really reflecting what Role Playing is all about. Meeting people. Even though they’re strangers and NPC’s are developed, it’s the imagination and the creative world that makes all the difference.

It makes the game more alive, and you even start to care about your very own character. As you like this kind of stuff, I bet you’re also interested in your storyline? I never played Predacessor, so I cannot compare it – sounds great though.

Thank you for posting!

I completely agree about the random NPC conversations. I forgot where it was, but I was just hanging out at a vendor, selling/salvaging crap. Then the golem nearby starts talking to a deer. It was pretty funny.

This is the kind of stuff Role Players like. And by the way, I think even if casual and hardcore PvP players have a clear statement that they don’t like roleplaying, don’t you think the combination of artwork, NPC’s, players, Points of Interests, exploration and Events brought them something else?

Thank you guys!
This is an amazing way to spend my Saturday, really.

(edited by Zedex.3814)

Kirk Seeker.6497

Why is it that people seem to think that merely having played other games somehow magically bestows upon them the ability to compare and contrast them in a meaningful, rational way?

First of all, I wanna answer you, playing in differnt games you are receiving an experience. Experience is the main thing. That’s why it’s important how many and how long you play, and quantity and quality of the game you’ve played.

As for SWTOR, I do not use f2p, I do not like “half-accounts”, and in SWTOR, I’m just creating my own saga.

As for GW2 – it’s become to stupid korean grind for legendary or some badges from dugeons, with superior grafics, and from new patch stupid dungeon system. When you have done all this live event hundered times or this dragon was 1000 to you – and reward some stupid green/blue thing, but your char is TOP-dressed – I tell you it’s a kitten.
But dungeon system now – has killed in me any whishes to login at all.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: FLFW.3105

FLFW.3105

Well enjoy it till it last. This game does very good first impression. I remember first few days of gw2 myself i was completely amazed by this game.

Sadly the more you play and start to figure out things this ‘wow’ feeling is soon to be gone. Almost every aspect of game isint working as it is supposed and is haunted by bugs which Anet chooses to ignore releasing some useless ‘new’ content.

Class balance is terrible .. i mean this game has no balance at all. While its not so terrible in pve , forget about any pvp at all. Its ridiculous.

And i could ontinue this list until tommorow i believe but i guess you will soon figure out everything yourself… just saying that by running away from wolf you most likely jumped on a bear.

GuildWars 2 is good game with bad management.

Grumm.4359

First of all, I wanna answer you, playing in differnt games you are receiving an experience. Experience is the main thing. That’s why it’s important how many and how long you play, and quantity and quality of the game you’ve played.

As for SWTOR, I do not use f2p, I do not like “half-accounts”, and in SWTOR, I’m just creating my own saga.

As for GW2 – it’s become to stupid korean grind for legendary or some badges from dugeons, with superior grafics, and from new patch stupid dungeon system. When you have done all this live event hundered times or this dragon was 1000 to you – and reward some stupid green/blue thing, but your char is TOP-dressed – I tell you it’s a bulls@it.
But dungeon system now – has killed in me any whishes to login at all.

Ah, but simply playing a lot of different games does not make one able to compare them in menaingful ways. As an example, you’ve again stated how much of a grind that GW2 is. SWTOR is now, and forever will be, a far more grind-y game than GW2. Do you have legendaries to work towards there? No, but if you want the top-end gear, that nice big speeder, or anything similar, you’re going to be logging a lot of hours doing repetitive stuff.

Beyond that, in GW2, getting those legendaries is purely optional; you don’t need them to run anything with, because they’re no better than the high-end exotics. In SWTOR, if you want to run even the lowest level Op (EV) most groups won’t even look at you if you don’t have a full set of modable gear. And to run the higher ops you absolutely have to have full sets of tiered gear. You are forced to grind simply to enjoy all of the content.

As far as SWTOR and F2P, it doesn’t matter if you’re a subscriber or not, the fact is that unless you keep giving them money you are not allowed access to the full game. They make you pay for some of the silliest things imaginable (want to display that title you earned=$$$; want to play more than three space missions a week=$$$). And it doesn’t matter if you were a subscriber since they launched and sunk another $180 into it just to play before they went F2P in monthly fees; despite having spent at least $240 on the game, if you don’t keep subscribing you lose access to more than half of the stuff in it.

In other words, you’re paying more for an inferior product (inferior so far as things which can actually be compared goes; if you’re a die-hard SW fan and don’t like Fantasy, that’s something different altogether).

Closing statement: If you think that GW is a Korean grinder-game, then despite your self proclaimed mountain of experience in MMOs you do not have a clue as to what you’re talking about.

(edited by Grumm.4359)

Posted by: Ikcen.7518

Ikcen.7518

After WoW, Lineage 2, Aion, GW1, LoTR and Darkfall, I can say that GW2 is a crap, sry.

At first impression the game is good, but this feeling goes away fast. After lvl 80 you have nothing to do. At all, GW2 is not a real MMORPG, it’s a mishmash, with good RPG, and bad MMO. But if I want to play RPG I will play Skyrim. GW2 is very unsocial, guilds are pointless, raids too /and bigger ones are dump/, PvP is pointless, no real tournament /Like Olympiad in L2/, WvW is pointless – soon after the first time it becomes just incredible grind, with no reward.

GW2 lacks of most important futures for every MMO – fame, need of group, need of communication, group and individual competition. I like other players to know my name, to have respect and fear me. I like to win vs good opponents, to fight one vs many, to be in group vs scary, mighty and smart raids, to take good rewards for raids and quests, and to take good drop from players. I like to be a part of something bigger, like guild, and to help my guild to prevail over others. For me all this is essential of MMO. I think, ppl who like this game don’t like MMO’s at all, they want some RPG online, and with GW2 they have it.

Now I’m not playing, but I’m looking for one game, which will be released next year – Black Desert Online, which seems will have all I want from a MMORPG.

Kirk Seeker.6497

Closing statement: If you think that GW is a Korean grinder-game, then despite your self proclaimed mountain of experience in MMOs you do not have a clue as to what you’re talking about.

Man, I don’t want start a holywar about what grind is mean, believe me I know what is it, lookin on my experience in games and MMO.

Still all I have told is true, and it’s confirms by servers population. People leave the game because there is nothig to do after you have all, exept grind for legendary, and more over after stupid ideas from creators.

It’s a facts, so just relax and play if you want. I do not want play it now, but I’m still follow for the game, cause it was 4 month of fun, and I like it.

Grumm.4359

Man, I don’t want start a holywar about what grind is mean, believe me I know what is it, lookin on my experience in games and MMO.

Still all I have told is true, and it’s confirms by servers population. People leave the game because there is nothig to do after you have all, exept grind for legendary, and more over after stupid ideas from creators.

It’s a facts, so just relax and play if you want. I do not want play it now, but I’m still follow for the game, cause it was 4 month of fun, and I like it.

For the third time in as many posts, your having played several different MMOs does not, in any way, make your points valid just on its own.

When I look a the server pops, most of them are heavy or full, so I’m not sure what you mean by the pops confirming your point. Now, compare that to SWTOR having to merge more than half of their servers because people really were quitting and going elsewhere. Compare that with WoW hemorrhaging players.

What you’re saying isn’t ‘facts’. It’s opinion, and a poorly thought-out one at that.

Personally, I love the game, and I’ll be here for the duration. I don’t put it on a pedestal, I realize that there are areas that need work, but it’s still the best MMO out.

Kirk Seeker.6497

For the third time in as many posts, your having played several different MMOs does not, in any way, make your points valid just on its own.

When I look a the server pops, most of them are heavy or full, so I’m not sure what you mean by the pops confirming your point. Now, compare that to SWTOR having to merge more than half of their servers because people really were quitting and going elsewhere. Compare that with WoW hemorrhaging players.

What you’re saying isn’t ‘facts’. It’s opinion, and a poorly thought-out one at that.

Personally, I love the game, and I’ll be here for the duration. I don’t put it on a pedestal, I realize that there are areas that need work, but it’s still the best MMO out.

I can tell you only one, Play, play more and discover the world of MMOs, than probably, I’ll discuss with you.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I played swtor for several months. I thought they had nailed balance up until the time they redid the trees and invalidated two hybrid builds I really enjoyed playing on 2 of my level 50 characters. Yeah, there wasn’t a lot of interesting content at level 50 and the world was not particularly living , something GW2 has down. I finally ragequit swtor when I was infected by a virus in a world event and now had to buy and administer an antidote regularly to keep myself from blowing up and dying. Often there are final straws when a game goes downhill and that was it for me. GW2 is a better game all around.

Kirk Seeker.6497

Guys, are you cycled on SWTOR? Lets speak about EvE.

(edited by Kirk Seeker.6497)

Posted by: IceBlizzard.1054

IceBlizzard.1054

welcome Zedex I hope you have a great time. I really love this game, and find plenty to do. Some people find it hard to find things to do at level 80, but there are always things to do. It also helps that im a wvw player on a top tier server

Dragonslayer
GoF Commander

Posted by: Smelly Bookah.6957

Smelly Bookah.6957

I bought GW2 because I am, or rather was a Guild Wars 1 player.

To be perfectly honest, I had high hopes for this game, especially after they said it will be guild wars 1 with open world. I expected to see greatly improved mechanics from gw1. But did they manage to deliver? Umm, nopes, not really. I might say I am slightly disappointed with the game. By no means it can be called bad, it’s actually very good, especially compared to other titles on the market. But the thing is it misses alot of features from GW1, features that made the previous game so great and enjoyable. And if those features are there, then they are simply nerfed. Like guesting for example. In gw1 you could play with everyone around the globe, and here you are stuck with european or US playerbase.
Moreover, the game seems less social than it’s predecessor. it’s funny since gw2 has many solutions that should make it perfect for player interactions. What happened though is that everyone pretty much treats you like a bot.
My friend’s list in GW1 was full (and i really made so good friends) and here it’s pretty much empty.

Anyways, enough of complaining. The game is good, but I strongly hope it will get better with future expansions and that Guild Wars 1 players eventually get what they expected.

Posted by: jobah.7241

jobah.7241

Just to confirm the statement about population:
Colin Johansson has actually said more than once that since december the population is steadely increasing – more than they expected. And that is very positive for an MMO, because after about 4-6 months, this is usually whats distinguises the succesful MMOs from the dying ones.
First month theres a big increase of cause, and then during the following months there’s always a decrease, and then after half a year it shows if the game dies or not.

Now, you can go ahead and scream that its just PR talk and that he’s probably lying. But I don’t think that a developer could ever lie about such things.
(And if if your the kind of person who “don’t trust anybody but myself” then you have your own personal problems, i guess:)).

(edited by jobah.7241)

Zedex.3814

welcome Zedex I hope you have a great time. I really love this game, and find plenty to do. Some people find it hard to find things to do at level 80, but there are always things to do. It also helps that im a wvw player on a top tier server

Hello Blizzard!

Thank you so much for your kindness. I added you to my friendslist, would love to catch up in WvW sometime, even though I’m quite a noob atm.

Good day fellah!

Kirk Seeker.6497

Now, you can go ahead and scream that its just PR talk and that his probably lying. But I don’t think that a developer could ever lie about such things.
(And if if your the kind of person who “don’t trust anybody but myself” then you have your own personal problems, i guess:)).

about 5 guilds I know has left totaly from the game, and it wasn’t small guilds, there was guilds 40-50+ members. And yes, I’m a person who do not trust anybody :P Read this forum, and you will see more…

Noone tells thats GW2 is a bad or not. It’s superior, cool, awesome, still after you have done all tasks – its become borring. That’s the main speach. So it’s very good that new players come, but how for long?

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Noone tells thats GW2 is a bad or not. It’s superior, cool, awesome, still after you have done all tasks – its become borring. That’s the main speach. So it’s very good that new players come, but how for long?

I have yet to buy a game that I’ve played forever, any game, even a mmo, if it gives me a month worth of every day a few hours…. Satisfied, moneys worth. I can’t even imagine a game being developed that I think I could call home for years non-stop. Even my fav mmo, I play a couple/few months at a time, take a year off and repeat. This comes down to one’s brain, to be blunt. Some people have focus/addictive behaviors that allow them to attach to something for long periods. Some are always looking for the next new thing. The industry exists based on players not staying for loooong periods of time.

Posted by: jobah.7241

jobah.7241

Now, you can go ahead and scream that its just PR talk and that his probably lying. But I don’t think that a developer could ever lie about such things.

about 5 guilds I know has left totaly from the game, and it wasn’t small guilds, there was guilds 40-50+ members. And yes, I’m a person who do not trust anybody :P Read this forum, and you will see more…

People are always leaving MMO games after launch. And people are always making posts about the games dying. This is not an issue. This is how gamers game and flame.
Right now, nothing indicates that this game will go down like SWTOR and all the others. We will see.

You see, if there’s a type of person you can never trust, its the online gamer. Developers actually have to be trustworthy to some degree (because they have a name and a responsibility). Gamers don’t. They are just anonymous kids.

The ones who say they love the game might hate it tomorrow. The ones who are making walls of text about the death of the game might just have a kittenty life and now they have found a place to cry. Other haters might come back 2 months later. Who knows.

By the way, the funny thing is that a lot of the (same few) people who are hating the game seems to be the ones who have invested most hours in the game. The thing is, although the devs would like you to play forever, this game is already a succes when a player has played for 300-1000 hours within half a year (like most of the whiners have). The question is, will they come back? And will more players buy the game. It seems to be the case.
(Those who REALLY don’t like the game… just leave and don’t say a word. Just like the ones who llove the game just play and don’t say a word.)

Im not saying this because i love the game. I don’t. To me there has never existed a great MMO. I just find this one to be the best, despite all the issues; just like I found GW1 to be the best back in the days.

Grumm.4359

I can tell you only one, Play, play more and discover the world of MMOs, than probably, I’ll discuss with you.

Nice way to dodge the points I’m making, while assuming that because I’ve said I came over from SWTOR that that game and this one are the only ones I’ve played. I’ve played others, I just don’t think that this makes me an expert on them (as you seem to consider yourself). And those others that I’ve played are irrelevant to this discussion, which is about SWTOR and GW2 (and by ‘this discussion’, I’m referring to the one you and I are having).

(edited by Grumm.4359)

Posted by: byron.1627

byron.1627

To me what sets this game apart is that I don’t need to shout and beg someone to help me do things (If you ever played FFXI you always need help most of time). I just run, event nearby comes up and I join. We can kill anything anyone fighting and never have to hear, “Hey you stole my mob”, or someone who uses bots camp one mob all day. EVERY mob is fair game and everyone gets goodies. Best of all I can play solo, at MY own pace and don’t HAVE to depend on someone else.