My first level 80, now what?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Drox.4562

Drox.4562

I’m new to the game, came in with the f2p and bought the expansion to unlock full account after enjoying the game. Now that I’ve reached level 80 it seems the only thing left for me to do is random stuff. It doesn’t really feel satisfying to the point I’m kind of regretting spending money. Is there anything for endgame that keeps you coming back or is it more of figuring out your own enjoyment from being at endgame?

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

figure your own enjoyment out, just like any other game

spvp
wvw
farm gold/items
craft, dugeons
fractals
get map completion
Roleplay
Jump puzzles
Achievement hunt
troll map chat

Drox.4562

hmm I see, I guess I’ll just have to figure out what I want to do.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Like any other game a lot of people are aiming at: Gear / Skins.

Seems to be the drive for most. Getting 80 was hardly the games content though. Not sure what you were looking for the game to offer you when you dinged.

Posted by: spinudeci.8079

spinudeci.8079

as Zev said there are a loot of things to do in end game , fractals help you become better at understanding the classes and there uses , make you a better pve player , solo pvp ( spvp) if you like it , but will take you some time to find your pvp class . WvW if you like zerging with 20-40 ppl ( hope you have a good pc ) Silverwaste Farming is HOT right now if you in need of gold / materials .
Try getting some ascend gear on yourself , crafting not rly worth it since it is expensive ( but you can do daily tequez for drop chance , fractal high lvl run , drop chance for pvp reward track aswell )
But the most important thing you can do , the 1 thing that everyone dose after they reach Guild Wars 2 eng game is to play some FASHION WARS

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

The game lacks satisfying “endgame”. Luckily though you won’t have to wait long for new stuff with the expansion on the way.

CandyHearts.6025

The game lacks satisfying “endgame”. Luckily though you won’t have to wait long for new stuff with the expansion on the way.

Can you define satisfying end game?
Curious what people are looking for.

BrooksP.4318

Obviously what is satisfying to some isn’t the same for others. However having at least some form of either character development or world influence to provide goals for the player to seek is a start. Simply having everything you did while leveling as endgame is why these threads always appear. Also trying to sell the “fashion grind”, redundant world completion, or achievement grind as goals is why players burn through content so quickly.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

A good place to start is to look at the Achievements section. Work on these while doing your first world complete and you can’t go wrong. Mix in a bit of WvW and PvP too and you will have tons to do.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: El Psy Congroo.7965

El Psy Congroo.7965

You’ve got a lot of achievements to get,
if you are interested in PvP then you got 80 more ranks to “level up”.
Also if you decide to craft ascended gear or even Legendary weapon,
that will take a lot of time.

CandyHearts.6025

Obviously what is satisfying to some isn’t the same for others. However having at least some form of either character development or world influence to provide goals for the player to seek is a start. Simply having everything you did while leveling as endgame is why these threads always appear. Also trying to sell the “fashion grind”, redundant world completion, or achievement grind as goals is why players burn through content so quickly.

Was there ever a game that added more to endgame than gw2 though? I’ve played more than 4 handfuls of MMORPGs and never found a better time spent than in GW2. There are so many things to do that can appeal to just about anyone. PVE or PVP wise. While they aren’t all the “most rewarding” . . . playing just for rewards itself will get dull. It’s about the experience and having fun or why bother, correct?

Jump puzzles, wvw, spvp, world completion, dungeons, fractals, collections to complete, achievement points to complete, story upon story from open world to dungeons and fractals, gear grinding, craft grinding, instrument playing, player held events, holiday events. . . and these are just off the topic of my head. I’m sure if I wanted to spend time on the list it would be even longer.

If there was something in specific you could say that is obviously missing and would add to endgame I can understand. But a lot of playerbases are always seeking a feeling rather than the actual gameplay itself and don’t realize that there was a ton to do but they played it for too long to appreciate it anymore.

Posted by: Xetu.7341

Xetu.7341

Compared to other MMOs GW2 doesn’t offer that much for the later game.

You can’t achieve any reputation in the game, either with or without a guild. There is no competitive aspect where you or your guild is in the foreground and known by others.

All you can do it farming ascended and legendary gear which has better stats and some other features, but doesn’t make you any better than playing with exotic gear.

The end game in GW2 is mainly based on getting skins. You are not playing for anything to achieve except you just want to have the challenge to get all achievements.

Either you play the game because you like it, because you’re bored or you just don’t play the game at all.

(edited by Xetu.7341)

BrooksP.4318

If there was something in specific you could say that is obviously missing and would add to endgame I can understand. But a lot of playerbases are always seeking a feeling rather than the actual gameplay itself and don’t realize that there was a ton to do but they played it for too long to appreciate it anymore.

Make the zones dynamic and player driven. Have different zones have variables that if influenced in a certain ways change the gameworld, types of events, types of NPCs. Give incentive for players to localize in zones they find interesting without having the static nature. “Feelings” is what people play RPGs for, gameplay is one thing but sense of purpose and accomplishment can be more important. Simply doing a activity over and over without meaningful purpose just becomes redundant.

E: Dynamic quests do this to some degree however is short lived and cycled.

(edited by BrooksP.4318)

Drox.4562

hmm well thanks for all the feedback. I’ll probably try some stuff out and see where it takes me. I also haven’t got into a guild yet so that probably would also help to guide me a bit in what to do when I decide to join one.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

This is an interesting thread because its extremely common in many MMOs.
I have reached the level cap so what do I now do.
Another frequent question is how do I get to the level cap ASAP.
The general inference is that until a player reaches the level cap there isnt much to do.
Some games like WOW partially solve the problem by increasing the level cap over time , but it only stalls off the inevitable when everyone reaches the new level cap.
So I then wondered why have levels at all.
Since the aim of the game for many players is to get to the level cap asap and then play the "End Game " whatever that is , why not simply have an “End Game”
No levels.
The entire world is the “End Game”
No levelling needed.
This means that the game devs can put all their efforts into making “End Game” content, and woudnt have to waste their time making many other lower level zones where players are just trying as hard as possible to get thru them to reach the end game zones.
This game is a bit better than most in that there is stuff to do in the lower level zones for people who have reached the level cap, but I wonder just how many people do this.
The other alternative is that the “End game” means just that, you have reached the end of the game and its time to buy a new one.

These are just some ideas to throw around, as I have no views about the practicality / otherwise of any of this.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Since the aim of the game for many players is to get to the level cap asap and then play the "End Game " whatever that is , why not simply have an “End Game”
No levels.
No levelling needed.

That may be fun for some, maybe even a lot of people, but I can’t say it would be for me. There’s a satisfaction to starting powerless and working your way up, to pitting yourself against opponents tougher than you and eventually besting them, to building your character step by step. Giving away the ‘end-game’ would just kill the game, imho.

And what is the end game, in any case? Would you start new players with ascended stuff? Since you propose no levelling, I presume you mean no levelling in the crafting fields either, so anyone can craft ascended straight off.

Just my 2 cents

CandyHearts.6025

This is an interesting thread because its extremely common in many MMOs.
I have reached the level cap so what do I now do.
Another frequent question is how do I get to the level cap ASAP.
The general inference is that until a player reaches the level cap there isnt much to do.
Some games like WOW partially solve the problem by increasing the level cap over time , but it only stalls off the inevitable when everyone reaches the new level cap.
So I then wondered why have levels at all.
No levels.
No levelling needed.
This means that the game devs can put all their efforts into making “End Game” content, and woudnt have to waste their time making many other lower level zones where players are just trying as hard as possible to get thru them to reach the end game zones.
This game is a bit better than most in that there is stuff to do in the lower level zones for people who have reached the level cap, but I wonder just how many people do this.
The other alternative is that the “End game” means just that, you have reached the end of the game and its time to buy a new one.

These are just some ideas to throw around, as I have no views about the practicality / otherwise of any of this.

I would love a game with no levels, just content. Leveling is just something people rush through. Point A to point B then complain there’s nothing to do.

I feel like HoT xpac kind of does this. Instead of more leveling; we’re offered masteries. And they can continue to add to these masteries as time goes on. It was 1 of 2 things that really got me excited for Launch.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

No levels.
No levelling needed.

That may be fun for some, maybe even a lot of people, but I can’t say it would be for me. There’s a satisfaction to starting powerless and working your way up, to pitting yourself against opponents tougher than you and eventually besting them, to building your character step by step. Giving away the ‘end-game’ would just kill the game, imho.

And what is the end game, in any case? Would you start new players with ascended stuff? Since you propose no levelling, I presume you mean no levelling in the crafting fields either, so anyone can craft ascended straight off.

Just my 2 cents

Games with no levels work perfectly and are arguably way better. Ultima online was the first wildly popular MMO and had no levels(it was a sandbox) You leveled up your skills(there was balance so you couldn’t be OP). Skills like swordsmanship, magic, cooking, parrying, blocking, ect..(think elder scroll games).

you still had to farm/craft better gear, and had to levels your skills to be good at the things you wanted to be good at.

No levels work fine in mmos, just has to be incorporated well. but no, gw2 couldnt suddenly go no levels. that wouldnt make sense for the structure of the game.But some would say going to low level maps and being downleveled helps with the world feeling like no levels exist.

BrooksP.4318

You could easily remove levels and rely on the talent/mastery system to replace them. You would still have the appeal of growing as a character without dealing with artificial levels/zones. This would open the world up, since you wouldn’t have to worry about screwing up “newbie zones”.

The norm of a leveling system is really only good for a linear based game, GW2 doesn’t seem to be designed as one, which makes the discussion of “end game” difficult.

Posted by: Antonacci.6098

Antonacci.6098

Get to farmin’. This whole game revolves around farming, so if you don’t enjoy gambling your time into a game, I suggest you get another hobby

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Games with no levels work perfectly and are arguably way better. Ultima online was the first wildly popular MMO and had no levels(it was a sandbox) You leveled up your skills(there was balance so you couldn’t be OP). Skills like swordsmanship, magic, cooking, parrying, blocking, ect..(think elder scroll games).

you still had to farm/craft better gear, and had to levels your skills to be good at the things you wanted to be good at.

No levels work fine in mmos, just has to be incorporated well. but no, gw2 couldnt suddenly go no levels. that wouldnt make sense for the structure of the game.But some would say going to low level maps and being downleveled helps with the world feeling like no levels exist.

Ah, I see. Rather than one generic ‘level’ there are levels in skills, which creates flexibility and actually sounds more natural than an arbitrary level. I retract my earlier statement.

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

Being level 80 means you can equip the top level gears. Other than there is nothing special about being level 80 in GW2. If you haven’t unlock all traits, you need to collect hero points in the open world.

If you don’t like exploration, you can lookup the events and activities in each map through the official wiki. The event quest mark will only be shown just before and during the events. The event rewards will scale up to your character level.

If you like the skins and best gears, you can’t get away from farming.

By the way, PvP and WvW are open to characters at any level. Some players level up their character in EoTM. Players who speed run dungeons perfect players with certain achievement points. Being level 80 means nothing in looking for dungeon pug.

Among fans Guild Wars also known as build wars. Understand their builds and counter play is part of the meta game.