My first mmo, THANK YOU Anet.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Coin Flunk.3024

Coin Flunk.3024

A longish post, but i hope you read as i’m glad i’ve brought this game. (Call me a fan-boy or whatever the ‘in’ term is for someone who gives credit to Anet, i don’t really care.) :-) – Please excuse my grammar, etc… (Dev’s please read the end paragraph.)

This IS my first PC game i’ve brought in the last 6-7 years.

I’ve yet to post on these forums as they are extremely negative, the people having fun are those in game; anyway onto the topic on hand.

If you will note, I’ve gone down the route of picking out other people’s negatives and putting my positive swing on them, as this is the only way many people will understand what i’m saying.

I’m a casual player, i have 2 level 80’s and 1 lvl 6 and 1 lvl 1 and an empty slot i’m current debating which profession to use.

Am i bored?

No!

The first character i progressed with the story, i loved the story. My second character i progressed with a completely different story and done many hearts and DE’s, i love it! Now every evening i log on, i speak to my guild mates and ask what they want to do, often we do gathering events so we can gain money for the guild bank for a commander and WvW. But most of the time we just help each other out on dungeons, skill points and the like. Some nights i’m lucky to do anything i want, as i’m often helping others.

Am i annoyed by the bugs?

No.

(Hear me out!) Many people on here say if we don’t complain then they won’t get fixed. What i do is file a bug report rather than moan, as this is the primary source of information the dev’s will receive. Now i got to Arah story and it was bugged for a whole week, was i annoyed?… Not at all. I just put the story on hold and done some WvW, hearts, DE’s, skill points, just generally having fun with my guildies.
SO what if it’s bugged, i filed a report so Anet know about it. I know their working to fix bugs and will eventually see my submitted bug report. Why cry that it’s bugged, it won’t make them fix it faster. 2+ million people play the game, they have alot of issue to take care of.

Am i annoyed by botters?

No.

Yes they effect the economy and all that, i don’t know how and i don’t care, money to me has no real value and the dev’s themselves have said the game is not about money. Sure you need it for a legendary, but that will come with the years to come, there’s no rush. I will just enjoy the time i spend getting the money (whether you call it a grind or not, i call it having fun!) When i see a botter i report it as i awn to be involved in the progress of the game, it makes me feel involved.

Am i annoyed by the hackers?

No!

Those flying people in WvW, do they affect me?… Probably in some way, but i don’t give two hoots! I go into WvW with my guildies and if we take over a couple of supply camps and a keep/tower then each of those are mini achievements, give gold, karma and badges!
We all talk on a voice program, we all get real heated when playing WvW, it’s so much fun, sometimes i’m on the end of my chair. Surley a game is GREAT when your on the edge of your chair, dying to go to the w/c for a pee, but can’t because your chasing down a player with your bow!!!

I also have a nice long password with many numbers and letters + antivirus as recommended by Anet.

1) Love the graphics.

2) Love Vista’s

3) The story? OMG, there’s so many different story lines, i’ve done 2!! How can you be bored??? For sure if i eventually fill my character slots, i’ll buy another one and do another story path with a different profession and race. Sure there are some voice bugs, etc, but my personal opinion is that the story line is great. I do find it hard, sometimes i have to repeat a quest 5 or 6 times, but i eventually do it.

Am i annoyed by the economy?

Nope! Whether things sell or small amount of gold or alot, i’m making a decent amount of cash to by my armour/weaps, crafting materials and even some minipets!!! :-) I’m slowly building up some cash for WvW in the months to come. :-)

I’m afraid to say this post will either not get read, or my post will get analysed and critised, but if one dev reads it, please tell the people at Anet that there is a WHOLE community out there who love the game. I’m in a guild of +100 people, we have had 1 person leave for a different mmo due to the gw2 economy, but other than that, we have 99 happy people.

Regards,

‘Im a numptie norn’

(edited by Coin Flunk.3024)

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Great post! We need more positivity on these forums.

I really have no idea how people can be bored with this game after only a month and a half.

Also:

there’s no rush

I wish more people understood this.

(edited by Snow White.9680)

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

That you’re enjoying yourself is no reason to dismiss or make excuses for the game’s shortcomings.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good to see you’re enjoying yourself, but let the developers defend their shortcomings. You’re a paying customer; you’re under no obligation of loyalty to them. It’s quite the other way around, in fact.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

Great post, I love this game too. Thank you for posting this. I’m getting so sick and tied of the whining over little things and people not happy because they can’t get what they want. I hope to see more post like this one. I love mmo’s but it seems like most mmo players are the biggest babies on the planet.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Good ta see you’re enjoyin’ the game! As first MMOs go this was a pretty darn good choice – not going to find much that’ll live up to it. There were always two things I felt were holding GW1 back for me, and that was the lack of decent magic items and the mega instancing; with those two problems fixed I’m pretty happy with the result.

Sure there are some bugs, and people should talk about them, but yeah – some people get outa control. The most important thing is that you and yer friends are havin’ fun … I know I am.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Celine.3287

Celine.3287

3) The story? OMG, there’s so many different story lines, i’ve done 2!! How can you be bored??? For sure if i eventually fill my character slots, i’ll buy another one and do another story path with a different profession and race. Sure there are some voice bugs, etc, but my personal opinion is that the story line is great. I do find it hard, sometimes i have to repeat a quest 5 or 6 times, but i eventually do it.

I think the biggest “issue” (non bug/balance-related) coming from the whole story thing is how inconsequential your choices are later on. It doesn’t matter at all.
It just feels very rushed, like you were minding your own business developing a real personal story, then suddenly you’re being pushed to do the same as every other character cough Claw Island, etc…cough.

I understand this is the way they have made the story unfold, but I wish they’d have exploited those options more/better.

It’s all about the money~

Posted by: nivex.5863

nivex.5863

Great post. I remember my first MMO. It held my interest for 10 years.

Should ArenaNet implement a system to reset events after a certain period of inactivity, it would address many issues where specific content is not always available.

Overall, great work ArenaNet.

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

Original post,

Im happy for you that you are enjoying your return from a 6 to 7 year retirement ! =)

You’re not annoyed by bugs,hackers,botters or even if the games economy gets ripped to shreds !

Hoorah I say ! That’s the attitude of champions,see you in the next game !

Oh and you asked for it….fan-boy !

All the best

Temper

Posted by: capnflummox.3082

capnflummox.3082

shennanigans. i’m calling it on this one…

sure the game is great and all that. but it is also not-so-great.

rose colored glasses you have…

Am I bored?

Nope. But it is really beside the point. I have yet to try everything out. There is a lot of content and I have been taking my time a bit and trying my hardest to get into the storyline. However, I am not yet at lvl 80 (lvl 74 Ranger here) and I have no concept of the end-game GW2 has to offer as of this time. My focus is PVE, so that will have to hold up for me to remain entertained.

Am I annoyed at the bugs?

Absolutely I am. However, I am aware of the gargantuan effort that needs to go into a game like this. And that you cannot fully test a system until it is released to the masses. I get that. But there are also some oversights (not bugs) that should not have happened in a game that started development in 2007 (or before!).

Am I annoyed by the botters?

Ironically, I am MORE annoyed by people being concerned with botters than the actual botters themselves. Botters do not effect me at all. This is my opinion, and you can feel free to discuss this with me. But I am not going to go into detail in this post.

Am I annoyed by the hackers?

As I do not PVP, the short answer is: no.

The Economy?

If by “economy” you mean “the cost of Gems/Gold”, then the answer is: no. I have no plans to pay OOG money for IG content at this time. But, I would down the road a bit. But I want to discuss this a bit further.

For the short-term player, someone who plans to play this either on-and-off over a long period of time or just play it for a few months, the lack of a subscription fee is very nice. Having said that, a long term player will find it advantageous to purchase some “upgrades”, such as more bank and bag slots.

Now, I don’t think there is enough available bag/bank slots on an account to purchase (optionally) that will ever compare to what it would cost me to play a $15/month game for a year. Especially since I can use IGC (in-game currency) to obtain those upgrades. But, at the same time, a short-term player might find it a bit frustrating to deal with a “nerfed account”. Some might find it a bit inconvenient to have to deal with either paying OOGC or “farming” IGC just to get an additional bag/bank slot. Those people might prefer a monthly fee. Especially since (as of now) you may or may not have access to the BLTP (Black Lion Trading Post) to quickly get Gems to purchase those little niceties other games “give you for free”.

This is literally a situation of “some people pay the neighbor to mow the lawn; and other people do it themselves”. Some people might just want that fee to alleviate the headaches of having to log into each character to upgrade their banks and bags and other things. I know I get frustrated when I log into an alt that doesn’t have the extra 2 bag slots that my main does.

(edited by capnflummox.3082)

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that people here on the forum are only a fraction of the whole. And that only few comment on something that they like.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope