My honest thoughts on Guild Wars 2 so far.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: destram.3921

destram.3921

Hello there I will mostly give feedback on stuff that I dislike so in before you turn on your fanboy mode on read trough. I will accept every one else opinion on the game so I really hope you’re gonna be mature enough to stay away from trolling.

Alright…

End game~ There is simply lack of end game (yeah Anet thinks end game starts at level one this is false and reason behind all of this because questing is not that much different from other games .Difference between GW2 questing and other games is you get instant quest here once you enter specific area. And most of the time you’re forced to do every single quest to be able to progress further trough the game. Unless you want to craft which in my opinion is long and boring grind.

Guild wars 2 lacks proper Content at level 80: At current state of the game You got 4 options: Do PvP, Farm mats for Crafting, Do dungeons (Mostly CoF since it’s easy and yet long and boring grind and last Go AFK at Lion’s Arch which in my opinon is what most of the lvl 80 players do.

I had quite few conversations with different type of players and every one shares same opinions “No end game no pew pew”.

WvWpvp- It’s pretty much copy paste from Aion sieges… nothing new just boring and imbalanced groups.

Anet promised no Grind which was another misleading (crazy amounts of tokens requierment, boring quests (Decent story line) boring and long World dragon fights etc… If you don’t want players to grind lower amount of tokens needed for level 80 gear and increase difficulty of level 80 dunegons.

Poor impletation of Dungeon difficulty Low level dungeons are insanely hard (mob damage output is freaking ridicilous… also their HP scales way too much) While level 80 dungeons are faceroll Yes arrah too with decent group even oozes drop down in few seconds.

Combat is not melee friendly This is what every single melee is gonna agree on. Take Arrah for example or some of dragon fights. You get hit by spell damage for retardly high amount that I feel like my warrior is wearing cloth and not full heavy exotic body armor. At most of the fights I’m forced to pull out my gun and start shooting…

Class imbalance Warriors= way too high burst and hard to counter (My warrior can smash 25k+ crits. Yeah sure I’m a bit over geared but any decent warrior can faceroll around) Thiefs= HoS is way too op. Elementalist I won’t even mention anything further.

Crafting. Seriously what the hell did you think when you made crafting so complicated. Yeah sure, option to discover recipes on our own is fun and all that.. but at least make it easy to skill up (easy to learn hard to master- or something). I seriously went nuts when I spent time on skilling up cooking and armorsmithing to 400……

Overal I give GW2:
7.5/10

Obviously Anet wants to add more PvE content but that is gonna happen next expansion as we know gaming companies like to Milk down customers as much as they can with almost no effort put into game… But since then I bid you farewel also excuse my poor Grammar skills.

(edited by destram.3921)

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Just curious, since you think GW2 has no real end game…

Could you please tell us about an MMORPG that in your opinion had a good end game? And tell us what was so good about it?

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: endless.1376

endless.1376

I agree with you, and thanks for taking the time to post this. The game seems to lack that endgame feel for quite a few. What is sad is that they will likely desperately cling to whatever they feel acts as an endgame element and just grind that out. Question is how long will that last?

Longevity in regards to the game’s appeal comes into question. Once you have seen several zones and done full completion most of the others are the same with a different flavor. The only thing I have left to really experience is the personal story, but even then some encounters are just ridiculous. Were the personal story missions supposed to be very tough? It just feels like many elements of this game were not fully fleshed out before release.

destram.3921

Could you please tell us about an MMORPG that in your opinion had a good end game? And tell us what was so good about it?

Lineage2 had in my opinion best end game so far (yeah leveling was long and boring grind but eventually it paid off) (GW1 had lovely end game too) (WoW had nice itemization and decent end game when it was new~ not that many raids but still it was nice due properly balanced PvE) My point is pure PvP games simply can’t be sucesfull and fun without proper and balanced PvE content. GW2 currently feels like Counter strike 1.6 with leveling system.

Look at Aion it was pure pvp game for 2 years and it faild misreably now when they added PvE stuff game gained quite few milions of subs/players (even while it was pay to play players returned thanks to PVE content and less grind)

I’m not sure why do you bring your arogancy here… if you can’t accept my opinion please just leave. Once you get to max level at GW2 and after some farming you will realise how dull and boring “end game is”

I do know that not every one is bored but players are already drop like flies… I had full friend list of people that I played with and not it’s empty including my guild that had 223 people there are less than 18 peeps online at daily basis.

(edited by destram.3921)

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

There are a lot of different types of players that come to GW2 for different reasons. I personally like the style of the game, the action content, the interactions I see in the citys between the npcs are great, and it has a lot more to offer me, I am still just under level 40.

The games “longevity” depends on how the developers go about delivering content. Since the game is free, it is in the best interest of the company to frequently release content that people will return to the game to play.

The extra profit of the game relies on purchases out of their cash shop- how much money are you going to spend in the cash shop if you chew through the entire game in days or weeks? Im sure they will continue to add more “endgame” content, as they want people to stay in game and potentially buy some of the digital goods.

One thing I wonder, is how many of the people who devoured the games content actually bought something in the cash store? That group of people can take a break from the game, and its really no worries for them since they have no extra money riding on the game as they would in a subscription based game.

And for those content hungry players, they can take comfort in knowing there will be expansions for them to play, as well as free content updates.

Creslin.1758

Lineage2 had in my opinion best end game so far (yeah leveling was long and boring grind but eventually it paid off) (GW1 had lovely end game too) (WoW had nice itemization and decent end game when it was new~ not that many raids but still it was nice due properly balanced PvE) My point is pure PvP games simply can’t be sucesfull and fun without proper and balanced PvE content. GW2 currently feels like Counter strike 1.6 with leveling system.

Look at Aion it was pure pvp game for 2 years and it faild misreably now when they added PvE stuff game gained quite few milions of subs/players (even while it was pay to play players returned thanks to PVE content and less grind)

I’m not sure why do you bring your arogancy here… if you can’t accept my opinion please just leave. Once you get to max level at GW2 and after some farming you will realise how dull and boring “end game is”

I do know that not every one is bored but players are already drop like flies… I had full friend list of people that I played with and not it’s empty including my guild that had 223 people there are less than 18 peeps online at daily basis.

Not trying to be arrogant, I just honestly don’t understand why a lot of people feel like GW2 has an end-game inferior to other MMORPGs, and I’m trying to see your perspective.

Also, just for the record, I have never really played the end-game for any MMORPG, except for maybe UO (if it can be considered to have an end-game) because I normally get tired of them before I get to the end-game, or the end-game seems unappealing to me.

The only thing that I think WoW had for an end-game that GW2 doesn’t have is raiding…is that what this is essentially all about?

And in response to your statement about a “pure PvP can’t be successful and fun…” First off, GW2 isn’t a pure PvP game by any stretch of the imagination. And second off…League of Legends?

[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

I got to level 80 last week but I haven’t had that feeling that I’ve done everything yet. I haven’t finished levelling my crafting, I still need to finish my personal storyline, I’ve got a long way to go before I get a full set of exotic armour and weapons. I’ve only completed ~50% of the map (on all characters) and I love exploring. I barely have time to WvW right now. I still have my alt to level. I would also like to try more sPvP.

Idk if that all counts as “end-game” but I’m spending a lot more time in this game than I originally planned.

I only hope I am not required to grind a dungeon to get exotic gear because I tried one already and it was really boring.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

GW2 have enough to entertain me for 300h EASY.

i am at 25h, 3 weeks in.
and this game is superb! like a huge epic quest.
think of it as a single player game a la skyrim, but with way more content and multiplayer interaction.

great!

destram.3921

Not trying to be arrogant, I just honestly don’t understand why a lot of people feel like GW2 has an end-game inferior to other MMORPGs, and I’m trying to see your perspective.

Also, just for the record, I have never really played the end-game for any MMORPG, except for maybe UO (if it can be considered to have an end-game) because I normally get tired of them before I get to the end-game, or the end-game seems unappealing to me.

The only thing that I think WoW had for an end-game that GW2 doesn’t have is raiding…is that what this is essentially all about?

And in response to your statement about a “pure PvP can’t be successful and fun…” First off, GW2 isn’t a pure PvP game by any stretch of the imagination. And second off…League of Legends?

Seriously dude did you just compare Thug game to mmorpg… It’s like comparing Bf3 to bloody Eve…

Posted by: TwistedWarrior.8613

TwistedWarrior.8613

Eve Online. I’ve been playing for over 5 years. There are no levels, instead you train skills that can take anywhere from 5 minutes – 3 months, roughly. End game for some people in Eve is being able to fly all the best ships and just pew pew till you’re hearts content. For some it’s all about power and running big corporations or huge alliances. Some just prefer to be left alone and mine or get rich from running all the PvE content in the game to no end. Some like to play the market and get rich that way. Some prefer to just sit back and scam everybody else.

(edited by TwistedWarrior.8613)

Posted by: Avatar.1923

eve is a tour de force.
but its not for everybody.
endgame wise, they nailed it.

personnaly, i prefer to switch game once in a while.
and gw2 it is for now.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

Seriously dude did you just compare Thug game to mmorpg… It’s like comparing Bf3 to bloody Eve…

They’re worth comparing because they are online games, and they do have a substantial overlap in playerbase (there are tons of LoL players currently playing GW2). Gamers are more ecumenical in their tastes now.

Posted by: Venator.5780

Venator.5780

eve is a tour de force.

and gw2 it is for now.

EVE is the greatest game ever conceived – until you play it…

That the whole thing runs on a once-a-second server tick (in space) is highly annoying once you notice it. As is grid-fu.

That said, if you can get past the initial few months, it makes an excellent hobby, it had me from late 2005 until just recently. Thankfully GW2 is a game, not a lifestyle.

Creslin.1758

eve is a tour de force.

and gw2 it is for now.

EVE is the greatest game ever conceived – until you play it…

That the whole thing runs on a once-a-second server tick (in space) is highly annoying once you notice it. As is grid-fu.

That said, if you can get past the initial few months, it makes an excellent hobby, it had me from late 2005 until just recently. Thankfully GW2 is a game, not a lifestyle.

Yeah I tried Eve, and honestly found it incredibly dull. And this is coming from someone who started MMORPGs with UO and loved it.

Gameplay is very important to me, and I just felt like the Eve gameplay was lacking….for me. Just my opinion, I know many people enjoy it, and I’m honestly happy that Eve is out there because I love the whole sandbox concept of it…just not its implementation.

[Envy], [Moon]

Creslin.1758

They’re worth comparing because they are online games, and they do have a substantial overlap in playerbase (there are tons of LoL players currently playing GW2). Gamers are more ecumenical in their tastes now.

Exactly.

The poster I was originally responding to said that a “pure” PvP game would never be successful. But in reality, any MMORPG will almost by definition have PvE and PvP. So in order to bring up any example of a pure PvP game, I had to look outside the MMORPG genre.

And as KnightBlaster says, there is a lot of overlap between MMORPGs and MOBAs. Many of the concepts used in the two games are very similar…and MOBA games can almost be considered a form of PvP RPGs.

[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Moonpuncher.7250

Moonpuncher.7250

no one cares about some random idiot’s rating. Might as well tell me your top 10 fashion faux pas of 2012 while you’re at it, Kardashian.

Posted by: CrazyWozza.8527

CrazyWozza.8527

Gotta be honest, leveling up and following the storyline is probably the best part of the game, just like it was in guild wars 1, but what happens when you reach the end? You grind to level your crafting and you grind to get your gear. I guess grind is just hard to combat in MMO’s. My only major gripe with the game is the dungeons, they just arnt ballanced in my opinion, the mobs -do- have crazy output and hp levels. Right now the dungeons are more suited to the classic tank/heal/dps set up which GW2 just dosn’t have, it’s something that needs to be adressed. Have to admit once I hit 80, I just got bored quickly and pined for UWSC =p

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

I was gonna say “passive/aggressive troll”, but reading the thread can’t see much passive really…

Posted by: nvmvoidrays.2158

nvmvoidrays.2158

WvWpvp- It’s pretty much copy paste from Aion sieges… nothing new just boring and imbalanced groups.

Anet promised no Grind which was another misleading (crazy amounts of tokens requierment, boring quests (Decent story line) boring and long World dragon fights etc… If you don’t want players to grind lower amount of tokens needed for level 80 gear and increase difficulty of level 80 dunegons.

Combat is not melee friendly This is what every single melee is gonna agree on. Take Arrah for example or some of dragon fights. You get hit by spell damage for retardly high amount that I feel like my warrior is wearing cloth and not full heavy exotic body armor. At most of the fights I’m forced to pull out my gun and start shooting…

Class imbalance Warriors= way too high burst and hard to counter (My warrior can smash 25k+ crits. Yeah sure I’m a bit over geared but any decent warrior can faceroll around) Thiefs= HoS is way too op. Elementalist I won’t even mention anything further.

Crafting. Seriously what the hell did you think when you made crafting so complicated. Yeah sure, option to discover recipes on our own is fun and all that.. but at least make it easy to skill up (easy to learn hard to master- or something). I seriously went nuts when I spent time on skilling up cooking and armorsmithing to 400…

wat.

are you serious with this?

arenanet never said there wouldn’t be a grind; they said there wouldn’t be a NECESSARY grind, as in, a grind to level. did they fulfill that? so far, it seems to be based on players. i don’t feel like i’m grinding; that’s the important part. i’m having fun playing the game.

WvW a copy of aion? combat melee unfriendly? crafting complicated?

p.s. don’t play a glass cannon spec and you won’t die in two seconds.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

arogancy

I lol’d.

“Nice itemization” is an interesting way of referring to the process of doing the same dungeons and raids over and over again for slightly better gear so you can do the same dungeons and raids over and over again for slightly better gear some more. Sorry, but WoW, Lineage II, etc had crap endgame that was focused on grinding for gear after you got finished grinding for levels. This is the game we play to get away from that stuff, so you saying it’s bad that GW2 doesn’t have what you consider “good” endgame gives me a good chuckle. I also got a good laugh when you tried to call GW2 “a pure PvP game,” considering the PvE content vastly overshadows what the game offers for PvP right now.

But hey, if you don’t like this game, please just leave, like you suggested people do after reading your opinions. But know this: We’re playing the game ArenaNet has been saying we’d get for over 3 years, a game that isn’t going to change just because you picked it up thinking it was going to be something it’s not, making you an uninformed consumer of your own accord. Buying GW2 thinking it was going to be yet another WoW clone is like buying Unreal Tournament 3 thinking it’ll be just like Halo.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

-snip-

wat.

are you serious with this?

arenanet never said there wouldn’t be a grind; they said there wouldn’t be a NECESSARY grind, as in, a grind to level. did they fulfill that? so far, it seems to be based on players. i don’t feel like i’m grinding; that’s the important part. i’m having fun playing the game.

WvW a copy of aion? combat melee unfriendly? crafting complicated?

p.s. don’t play a glass cannon spec and you won’t die in two seconds.

Wait…but it’s so much easier to cry about imbalance on the forums! He should be able to spec full glass cannon and still be capable of face tanking the opposing realm!

BTW OP, there’s so much fail and misinformation in your original post it isn’t even funny. This has nothing to do with anyone being a ‘fanboy’…it’s fact. WvW just like Aion sieges??? LMAO!

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

(edited by crewthief.8649)

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

I’d like to say two things:

1. It is stated by ANet that expansions won’t be charged. So nobody’s milking nobody.

2. Grinding is only an option. Without grinding, you can still get good gear. There are lots of articles out there about how to do this.

Posted by: Mockra.2481

Mockra.2481

It’s incredibly easy to get a level 80 set. Yes you have to play the game to get the set, but the amount of options available makes your complaints silly. You won’t have the “coolest” skin available for putting in a mere 2 hours of playing. Anet never said you would.

At current state of the game You got 4 options: Do PvP, Farm mats for Crafting, Do dungeons

So it’s exactly like WoW/Rift/TOR/Aion/any current MMO?

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

I agree with OP, minus the crafting (but I haven’t gotten to 400 yet) I think the crafting is very well done.

At 80 there is nothing to do, and the people who are defending the “end-game” clearly haven’t even gotten to 80 yet. The people who get 80 are the ones finding the problems while the casual player who isn’t 80 yet hasn’t even come across them.

So far this is what you do at 80 – WvWvW. And how long till that becomes boring? For a lot, it already has because there is no balance. You can’t expect to have people do PvE for majority of the game than just shift them to PvP non-stop and for literally no reward once you get all your exotic.

End game – does not feel like you’re accomplishing anything, because you’re not; so why even play anymore? The people who are complaining want to keep playing, they’re complaining about how the game is forcing them to not want to play

Posted by: Lucazzy.1709

Lucazzy.1709

I’d like to say two things:

1. It is stated by ANet that expansions won’t be charged. So nobody’s milking nobody.

2. Grinding is only an option. Without grinding, you can still get good gear. There are lots of articles out there about how to do this.

Monthly content updates will be free. Full fledged expansion packs will require purchase. We won’t see a full expansion for a couple of years, most likely.

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

At 80 there is nothing to do, and the people who are defending the “end-game” clearly haven’t even gotten to 80 yet. The people who get 80 are the ones finding the problems while the casual player who isn’t 80 yet hasn’t even come across them.

I’ve been level 80 for a week and have been logging in every night with plenty of things to do.

Posted by: Rend.2047

Rend.2047

Even Runescape has more to do endgame.

And that’s Runescape lol

Posted by: kaboo.5194

kaboo.5194

1. you dont have to grind to get to lvl 80.

2. endgame – i still dont know what this word means. do you people expect to get to lvl 80 and then have what? 5000 dungeons so it doesnt get boring? 1000 lvl80 areas so you dont have to stay in one place? you say less is enough? i say less is too few because 200 areas youll finish in 2months and then cry for more endgame(that basically means that any amount of content is not enough in the big picture). i dont know why nobody can understand that if you dont want to play pvp then all mmos are the same as one single player campaign, just its multiplayer. the campaign ends once you get max lvl and explore everything, and thats game end. that means the game ends there and theres nothing more to do, except of you know, repeating stuff youve already completed, but thats something you dont like and call it grind. why do you even play mmo if all you want to achieve is to kill some lame AI and run around with your shiny sword? its good that mmos offer some pve content where you can learn the game and play through the story, but they are mainly about players competing with each other in either some arenas or in the open world sieges or so. and if you realy dont want to do pvp, then go and replay every single area in the game, im sure youll find there events you didnt find when you were there the last time. or start a new char and take a look at the main story from a different point of view, or go help other people. but i know i wont be doing any of this, because once i get to the end, pvp is the only way to go.

3. combat is different from any other game, so its more like you dont know how to play melee yet. and the same applies to dungeons, since combat is pretty new youre just not good enough.

4. crafting – i didnt have any issues so far, it seems pretty easy to learn and i realy dont see any way how anyone could be a better or worse crafter than someone else.

Posted by: Lord Jaguar.9504

Lord Jaguar.9504

1. you dont have to grind to get to lvl 80.

Don’t kid yourself. The curtain here is cleverly designed, but with dynamic events repeating themselves 5 times while you are in the same zone and heart quests being a mish-mash of pick up X object, kill Y monster there’s quite a bit of grind here. They are better than most, but to say the game is grindless is pretty much just fanboi talk.

2. endgame – i still dont know what this word means. do you people expect to get to lvl 80 and then have what? 5000 dungeons so it doesnt get boring? 1000 lvl80 areas so you dont have to stay in one place? you say less is enough? i say less is too few because 200 areas youll finish in 2months and then cry for more endgame(that basically means that any amount of content is not enough in the big picture). i dont know why nobody can understand that if you dont want to play pvp then all mmos are the same as one single player campaign, just its multiplayer. the campaign ends once you get max lvl and explore everything, and thats game end. that means the game ends there and theres nothing more to do, except of you know, repeating stuff youve already completed, but thats something you dont like and call it grind. why do you even play mmo if all you want to achieve is to kill some lame AI and run around with your shiny sword? its good that mmos offer some pve content where you can learn the game and play through the story, but they are mainly about players competing with each other in either some arenas or in the open world sieges or so. and if you realy dont want to do pvp, then go and replay every single area in the game, im sure youll find there events you didnt find when you were there the last time. or start a new char and take a look at the main story from a different point of view, or go help other people. but i know i wont be doing any of this, because once i get to the end, pvp is the only way to go.

Endgame means having meaningful activities available that keep your attention for a long time after reaching the level cap. It doesn’t have to be interpreted as anything else. Continuing to roam the world and redo all of the same PvE content you did to get to lvl 80 is nice(ish), especially since the downlevel system lets you continue to enjoy a bit of a challenge and play with friends. HOWEVER, it does not replace long term content like raiding. What does are activites like sPvP, tournaments and WvW.

But what about people who don’t want to play PvP all the time? Go ahead and explain what their options really are. A couple dungeons in a game with no structured class roles that you get to grind for gear reskins. This sounds like a good start to me, but I don’t know if will hold water in the long term. Guess we’ll find out.

3. combat is different from any other game, so its more like you dont know how to play melee yet. and the same applies to dungeons, since combat is pretty new youre just not good enough.

You are making a very judgmental and childish assumption by saying he is just bad. Melee classes get hit harder – because most damage output from mobs and bosses occurs at close range, and it is much harder to dodge attacks when you are close in. Ranged classes have it easier. There is no two ways about this.

1. Everyone is more or less equally squishable
2. Melee spend alot more of their time in the squish zone vs. ranged classes
3. Melee get squished alot more
4. Melee have harder lives
Refute this with logic. I’ll be waiting.

4. crafting – i didnt have any issues so far, it seems pretty easy to learn and i realy dont see any way how anyone could be a better or worse crafter than someone else.

TBH I agree with you. I haven’t done alot of experimenting with the Mystic Forge yet but otherwise crafting is very straightforward. If the Discovery tab is too hard for you then something is wrong, I’d suggest calling 1-800-555-1234 for Better Parental Education.

All rebuttals in bold.

(edited by Lord Jaguar.9504)