My misson: Level to 80 by HARVESTING!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cynnicade.2638

Cynnicade.2638

I know this sounds stupid, I really do. But i’m up for a challenge.

Starting tonight, I’ll be creating a character and leveling them by ONLY harvesting minerals, lumber and herbs. I’ll only be allowed to kill hostile creatures that attack me while harvesting.

I’ll keep this thread updated every time I log in and log out, adding screenshots as often as possible to prove my work.

Quest: Reach level 80 through harvesting.
Reward: Literally nothing, bragging rights I guess?

I might start streaming, but that could get boring.

Will edit this as soon as I create the character and get started! See you soon!

1st edit!!! Here we go! Just finished the “opening quest”. I made a Female Norn named: Mithraya! Will post updates soon

https://gyazo.com/edaeda5155a9c9515f6bd68945038129

(edited by Cynnicade.2638)

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Good luck. Sounds fun. I wish I had time to do that.

Cynnicade.2638

Recently gotten injured and I wont be able to work for a while. Bright side is, I can spend a lot of time relaxing on my computer. haha

….“relaxing”

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Recently gotten injured and I wont be able to work for a while. Bright side is, I can spend a lot of time relaxing on my computer. haha

….“relaxing”

Wow sorry to hear that. There’s always two sides to a coin eh? Have fun, get well ^^

(edited by Leohart.4610)

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

b-but wouldn’t you get exp by exploring too?

Cynnicade.2638

b-but wouldn’t you get exp by exploring too?

well, I guess i’ll get exp from exploring but no hearts, no vistas, none of that

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I did read about a player who levelled up a character without killing anything at all, as part of the character he was roleplaying. Many tasks and events have non-killing aspects to them, so those, along with gathering and exploring, was how this guy levelled.

I guess your journey will be somewhat similar- good luck and have fun!

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Wow, that will be even more of a grind than HoT!

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

I have 8 alts, one of each of the original 8 classes, and the last 3 got 95% of their experience by gathering. I was outfitting all of them in Ascended gear, which takes a lot of gathering. Since I hate wasting experience opportunities, I simply raised alts and sent them to gathering lower tier stuff. The problem is, they level too fast so you need another to step into the lower tiers. As they progressed upward, then next one down took over the lower tier and up they all went in the gathering tiers as they leveled enough to go for the next tier.

At the moment they all have Ascended weapons (both hands worth), Ascended coats, some have Ascended pants, and at least 3 pieces of Ascended jewelry each.

I’m now raising a Revenant and guess what her assignment is? You guessed it….gathering. After all, she’ll need ascended gear too….

You can gather even when you’re brain dead, so it’s something to do when it’s that time of night.

(edited by Michael.9403)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

You had me at “harvest”

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Teaniel.9052

Teaniel.9052

Sounds like a fun experiment.
On a much smaller scale, I leveled my guard 70-80 doing hero points and gathering what I found along the way. Really nice to get to 80 well on my way to a dragonhunter (and I made money, too!)

We’re going to devote our energies to sports, gardening, all the cultural pursuits;
in fact, we’re going to put the goons to sleep.
Meanwhile – we dig.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

A guy did something similar in WoW by levelling a panda to max level, and never leaving the starting area, a lot of what he did to level was gathering. As he has used up all quests and out scaled the mobs.

Good luck to you. Do you have any idea on how long it will take you?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Sounds like a fun thing. I leveld a character 1nce to level 17 by not doing any combat (basically ran around the starter areas and got vistas, waypoints and occasionally gathered). It’s definately doable. I think most people underestimate how much experience you can actually get in GW2 without any combat.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience

You would of get experience for uncovering the map, waypoints (unless you try really really hard to not get close) and the occasional dynamic event you pass by. Make sure to check how long it took you, would be interesting to know.

Posted by: The Animal.9364

The Animal.9364

I’m going to try lvl’ing only by reviving players/NPC’s.
The XP for reviving is about half the amount of XP for harvesting, but it’s doable in the starting area. I don’t think the Village of Shaemoor, Soren Draa, the Village of Smokestead, Snowlord’s Gate and the Village of Astorea have any harvestable nodes without exploring other parts than the exact area you started in.

Now I only need a way to get players or NPC’s killed there without touching them ;-)

EDIT: Players can’t die in the tutorial/starting area

(edited by The Animal.9364)

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

You all cannot be serious. -_-

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m going to try lvl’ing only by reviving players/NPC’s.
The XP for reviving is about half the amount of XP for harvesting, but it’s doable in the starting area. I don’t think the Village of Shaemoor, Soren Draa, the Village of Smokestead, Snowlord’s Gate and the Village of Astorea have any harvestable nodes without exploring other parts than the exact area you started in.

Now I only need a way to get players or NPC’s killed there without touching them ;-)

Make your way to the Asuran Thaumanova Reactor building that has the Elemental boss. Numerous dead Asura await your healing touch.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

You might consider outfitting your home instance with all the harvest nodes/node packs from the gem store. You can end up with a LOT of nodes in there.

Either way sounds like an amusing diversion. Pass that character a watchwork pick and a unlimited axe and sickle though. It’ll save sanity points along the way.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hmm, literally speaking it’d be pretty hard to get exp solely from gathering.

You’ll get a lot of experience just from getting place to place just for map exploration just to reach nodes though. Killing things not associated with hearts and events tends to not be a very large portion of your xp gained and it also doesn’t help that the first very low level areas don’t have any gathering nodes at all.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Michael.9403

You’ll get a lot of experience just from getting place to place just for map exploration just to reach nodes though. Killing things not associated with hearts and events tends to not be a very large portion of your xp gained and it also doesn’t help that the first very low level areas don’t have any gathering nodes at all.

I doubt anyone can solely get exp from harvesting.

OTOH, my quote of 95% isn’t a stretch. For ascended weapons, I needed wood and metals, and they are on known routes in known zones. You get about 25% of a level if you do every WP, Vista, and Point of Interest, and you only get about 1/3 of that running a route, since you miss most of the zone. You only get that once, while the gathering nodes renew, so you can get that XP once per hour at no further gain from the zone itself. You also don’t need to kill anything. You can harvest and run off yard trash, or skip the node.

You should also get out more. All the newbie zones have harvesting nodes.

(edited by Michael.9403)

Michael.9403

Good luck to you. Do you have any idea on how long it will take you?

A quick experiment yeilds harvesting slightly over 430 nodes = 1 level.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

They should have an achievement and title for harvesting many, many nodes.
“reaper of worlds”, cuz it fits, and will make you sound like a battle beast despite getting it from never doing battle.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Good luck! Certainly a unique challenge, although I expect it will take you considerable time.

But fear not, when you hit level 50, I’ll wave to you from Cantha and Elona after I finish those expacs

ArchonWing.9480

OTOH, my quote of 95% isn’t a stretch. For ascended weapons, I needed wood and metals, and they are on known routes in known zones. You get about 25% of a level if you do every WP, Vista, and Point of Interest, and you only get about 1/3 of that running a route, since you miss most of the zone. You only get that once, while the gathering nodes renew, so you can get that XP once per hour at no further gain from the zone itself. You also don’t need to kill anything. You can harvest and run off yard trash, or skip the node.

I meant the very first areas of the starting zones, Yes, I am aware that 1-15 zones have gathering nodes. That’s where most of my green wood comes from. But, the NPE did remove various nodes that were once there for the truly lowbie (about level 1-5). This is kinda important if the challenge is just to gain exp from gathering!

Maybe you should get out to the maps a bit more too. =p Start a new human character (Or go to Shaemoor WP) and see when the first gathering node shows up.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Just a flesh wound.3589

I meant the very first areas of the starting zones, Yes, I am aware that 1-15 zones have gathering nodes. I mean how else do you get copper and green wood? But, the NPE did remove various nodes that were once there for the truly lowbie (about level 1-5). This is kinda important if the challenge is just to gain exp from gathering!

Maybe you should get out to the maps a bit more too. =p Start a new human character (Or go to Shaemoor WP) and see when the first gathering node shows up.

I do some keyfarmer leveling over there and I’ve seen the first nodes appear between the Earthen Magic hero point past the Shaemore Garrison and the Scaver Waypoint. That area is a level 6 to 7 area.

ANet may give it to you.

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, that’s why I said area and not zone. But my thought was that it’d be a pain to be a level 2 or whatnot in a level 6 area and then level up only gathering. Certainly doable, of course.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yea, that’s why I said area and not zone. But my thought was that it’d be a pain to be a level 2 or whatnot in a level 6 area and then level up only gathering. Certainly doable, of course.

Doable, but difficult. There’s not that many nodes along that area and the areas increase in levels pretty fast. In addition there are a number of hostile mobs, including numerous centaurs and further down there are wolves that would be tough for a level 2 to avoid and still harvest.

ANet may give it to you.

ArchonWing.9480

Doable, but difficult. There’s not that many nodes along that area and the areas increase in levels pretty fast. In addition there are a number of hostile mobs, including numerous centaurs and further down there are wolves that would be tough for a level 2 to avoid and still harvest.

Yea, those wolves are annoying. But that’s why I have those concerns because I’d imagine that’d be more frustrating than challenging to start out with.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

I think someone fell in love with the movie ‘Castaway’. Will you be naming your harvesting tools and scratching marks on some driftwood to keep track as the days stretch into weeks, months and years?

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

To be fair, it probably isn’t the most insane thing I’ve ever seen anyone attempt to do in an MMO. That would go the the 1 billion agility xp runscaper.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Yea, those wolves are annoying. But that’s why I have those concerns because I’d imagine that’d be more frustrating than challenging to start out with.

You could use Edge of the Mists for the early levels …

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I have three questions, that come to my mind:

1. Why no other game?
2. Do you have one single male character?
3. Do you really have such a low screen resolution or is this just cropped?

Anyway, have fun and good luck ;-)

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Question: Will you be using infinite gathering tools or standard, level appropriate, consumable gathering tools?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

I have a sylvari that I created for my girlfriend who was super hyped for the chef profession. We used almost only gathering ( exception for some red peppers ) to up to lvl 400. So we ended up running in all tyria for gathering herbs and stuff.

So I can tell you get a lot of experience from only dicovering and harvesting.

If you want to optimise your time, go for rich nodes and high harvest herbs like salad, spinach, strawberries, grapes

Good luck on that one

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Question: Will you be using infinite gathering tools or standard, level appropriate, consumable gathering tools?

Doesn’t matter if you are only after the exp.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

less visits to merchant ^^

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

hahaha… IRONman challenge…

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

I think I’m going for max level in Pre. I’ll need to let the charr kill me so they get XP. When the charr reach upper levels I’ll kill them for XP.

Good Luck on yr quest. Remember start at the start and finish at the end. I’m envious…