My opinion of female medium armour

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sweetie.5897

Sweetie.5897

I’ve been checking out the medium armour (non pvp) sets for my thief, all of which are like trench coats or something the dog chewed. Whereas, the light armour sets look much more in keeping with what I thought a thief would look like.
What self-respecting thief would where clothes that would snag on everything and make lots of noise, let alone making movement difficult. I though mage-typers were supposed to be wearing dresses, not nice short tops that should be used by medium wearers.

Please please please do something about this, game-play is not everything when you play a game, how you look and identify with your character has a lot to do with it too and frankly, I’d be embarrassed to be seen in public with mine

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

Whispers Medium
Krytan Armour (gemstore)

both of these sets i find look amazing for medium.

Posted by: epics.9310

epics.9310

working as intended unfortunately.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

there are some more:
- human cultural t3
- human/ sylvari/ norn named
- human/ sylvari/ norn twilight arbor chest piece (myself would consider that one)
- sylvari cultural t1 – t3
- norn cultural t2 and t3

But there is indeed a lack of nice looking medium armor. Especially there is not one low level or mid level armor which has another style than the coat/ jacket ones. And the nice high level armors are not that easily affordable like a pretty armor for e.g. light armors.

I am not sure what they were thinking as they created the (low level/ mid level) style for medium armors. Hmmm..

(edited by Navi.7142)

Posted by: Kaspanova.7293

Kaspanova.7293

Warrior Heavy Armour is boring. I would much prefer to look like a Female Mage than a Knight that is typically… a Knight.

Caskia – The Small Norn

Posted by: Nyaochan.1756

Nyaochan.1756

I think there are a grand total of two leather chest pieces that aren’t coats. One is low/mid level drop (or possibly karma), I think. I’m personally using the priory chest, since

#1. I don’t want to look like every other thief out there rocking a long coat
#2. it’s…not a coat…XP
#3. it is svelt and more like something someone who tries to move in silence would wear, wouldn’t get caught on stuff, etc.

Looks pretty much the same on females (re: it doesn’t magically become skimpy).

Attachments:

Posted by: Shroom Mage.9410

Shroom Mage.9410

Medium armor class? Hope you like trench coats.

“Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don’t matter
and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Hideout.3579

Hideout.3579

i think each armor type has a really bad set somewhere, ive seen some really terrible male heavies but atleast the female sets seem to have alot more love put into them.

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

Grrr.. be grateful you’re not a Charr. At least the armour looks good on you, it’s not stretched, does have clown shoes or clips with most parts of your body.

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

Posted by: Sathla.7381

Sathla.7381

Asura rock the coats the best.. I wish there were some more steampunk goggles

Attachments:

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

Or … it would be nice if we could at least transmute any fashion we wanted regardless of class. For instance, as a ranger why shouldn’t I be allowed to wear light armor if i wanted to. Immersion couldn’t be the problem because if I was a ranger IRL there would be nothing to keep me from wearing what I wanted. I wouldn’t even mind if they applied a stat penalty for doing so. At least it would give us options. Options in a MMORPG are a good thing. Especially in GW2 where emphasis is placed on fashions and not stats.

We are not hamsters!

Posted by: Derek.9254

Derek.9254

this is basically the only one i liked for medium armor so kinda agree

Attachments:

Posted by: Sirevanac.3178

Sirevanac.3178

nice one Derek!

Yeah, i’m playing asura thief and the armor from dungeons arent really WOW like the light ones which are kitten 100% heh. I like TA armor though, i feel like a pimp.

Posted by: Edewen.8304

Edewen.8304

These threads make me giggle. You guys may as well be saying all females should wear is a combat bikini. To all you guys who really can’t seem to grasp why you make normal people laugh, I refer you to this wonderful video.

Armor does not need to double as a stripper outfit to be considered appealing. If that is your standard then get out more often.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

Nobody said it needed to be a leather bikini. Just something OTHER than a trenchcoat. Something that’s a leather top that doesn’t hang down past the waiste. Period.

BTW, there’s, you know, magic, dragons, and all kinds of stuff in fantasy games that BEND reality. So it’s not like armor has to actually look like we’re in the middle ages. “Armor” could have all kinds of magical properties giving protection. Your toon could be in a magic thong that projects an invisible defense field for all anybody knows and have more protection than someone in full plate.

Point is, toons can look good, there could be more variety, having almost all armor look alike for medium with long coats is sucks. Heavy armor suffers similarly – the only non-skirt/kilt looking stuff is so funkily adorned that I’d never wear it.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

this is basically the only one i liked for medium armor so kinda agree

Too bad it costs 100 gold… something similar but cheaper would help the variety imo.

Posted by: Dardevilmon.6702

Dardevilmon.6702

I aggre imo light armor looks the best and heavy has some decent looking pieces but medium just looks outright awful but still the game jsut came out we ill get a lot more armor and stuff to make you prettier in the future xD

Btw:Derek can you tell me what armor are you using :P?

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

Trenchcoats for all! I hope you love leather.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I actually like all the long coats honestly.

While I do agree there should be a bigger variety and not everyone wants or likes the long coat look, I personally enjoy them. They are some of my favorite armors.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

As a female player I’m not really interested in half-naked armor (either it doesn’t have to be a entirely covering armor), but we need more variety. If you have a look at rangers (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ranger_armor) or assas (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_armor) from the original gw, you’ll notice that there were not that high usage of coats.
For me it feels like a step backwards.

Hopefully they will add something different in the future. ^^

(edited by Navi.7142)

Posted by: spicytunaroll.7295

spicytunaroll.7295

What self-respecting thief would where clothes that would snag on everything and make lots of noise, let alone making movement difficult. I though mage-typers were supposed to be wearing dresses, not nice short tops that should be used by medium wearers.

hilarious. because self-respecting-thief-wear definitely includes nice short tops. this is a joke right? :c

Posted by: Alyssa.7254

Alyssa.7254

This a million times over. I love longcoats, I do, but seriously that is all there is. Longcoats….as far as the eye can see. Only 2-3 differ from that and like 2 of those is cultural armor. Its a serious step backwards in terms of armor design even when compared to GW1.

I get kinda mad when I see light armor classes sporting all these amazing looking outfits and my poor Engineer is stuck with longcoats. Please release more armor designs soon, and please PLEASE no more longcoats, we have plenty.

I’m not saying that all of it needs to be revealing leather (but you should atleast make a few like that), but just enough with the longcoats already.

Posted by: Wechsl.2907

Wechsl.2907

And longcoats tend to clip horribly with Charr tails… A-net sure made themselves alot of work with that decision.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

And longcoats tend to clip horribly with Charr tails… A-net sure made themselves alot of work with that decision.

And with daggers. If I want to preview daggers as a (Sylvari) thief, I have to undress first. When I’m standing still, my daggers are invisible (which kind of sucks, because now I see no point in looking for nice skins for my daggers)

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Medium armor in general is awful, the majority of them are trench coats, and that sucks……real bad.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Tier 1 Human Culture Armor for the Thief is pretty good.
Pirate coat is worn tight, so pretty good.
Legacy Armor from having played GW1 for medium armor is pretty nice. (especially once you play with the colors)

And, yeah, that’s about it for nice Thief armor what ain’ a trench-coat ah some sort.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Does nobody know about the duelist set? It’s not a longcoat

Attachments:

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

I actually like the trench coat look on my female thief, she looks sooo professional or classy, something I would wear in real life when I’m out Above all, it is not sleazy / kittenty like some, correction MOST, armor in TERA…

… … …

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Ah, what you’re looking for are lists like these:

http://dulfy.net/2012/08/11/skimpy-armors-in-gw2a-list/#3

You know, as someone wearing indistinguisable chainmail for the first few dozend levels, then scale mail for the next few and who as finally arrived at plate (heavy armor), I find your complaints… I dunno. While levelling, all that ever changed was the type, the looks were indistinguishable.

Oh, by the way, even as a male, I feel that the female light “armor” starter set is way too “stripper”. The best I’ve ever heared about GW2 and female “sexyness” is referring to charr and it’s “give us six or none!” I totally agree.

Posted by: Ireniicus.2167

Ireniicus.2167

Armour in this game in generally good to great but medium female is poor and needs work

Posted by: Ultima Thule.3950

Ultima Thule.3950

Awful? Au contraire, they are the best looking armors BY FAR. It was the general consensus when the game launched, that medium armor was the best looking by far. The long coats look really elegant, and adequate for being out there in the field you know. While way too many light armor outfits look like you somehow fled out of the circus in the middle of a performance, to the point of being humoristic… almost.

Please, MORE serious, elegant and appropriate for the task armors like medium (in particular those elegant long coats) I LOVE them.

And far LESS ridiculous outfits for females, all those “circus” and “stripper” look, aren’t elegant at all, (and that’s an understatement) and feel completely out of place in the field.

Male characters tho, are luckier most of the time — Almost not ridiculous looking outfits for them.

But all is right if we get coats for light armor (perhaps robes) and even for heavy armor, I love the look of long flowing coats.

(edited by Ultima Thule.3950)

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

Vigil and Duelist sets are both great.

I do like some of the trench coat looking sets as well, but not too many of them.

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

@Ultima Thule ~ I love elegant fashions, but I also love variety in fashion. Right now we don’t have much variety at all. Variety is everything when it comes to fashion. You can be the best dressed woman in the world, but if you’re always wearing the same linear fashion line it doesn’t speak well to your overall fashion sense. Anyways, I am confident (hopeful) that they will eventually give us variety. The game is still very new. Lot’s of room and time for fashion updates.

We are not hamsters!

Posted by: Thirst.5407

Thirst.5407

I don’t necessarily want bikini armor for a female character, but seriously, trenchcoats only? What about full-body leather armor, as so many other MMO’s have implemented quite nicely? Trenchcoats are NOT medium armor- they are light, no matter how you spin it. To be proper medium armor, you have to have actual thick leather encasing the body- with thicker, extra leather pads in the key parts. A floppy coat ain’t gonna cut it.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Depends on your race.

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

I’d love more variety in medium armor. Skimpy armor, not skimpy armor, whatever. As long as it’s not more long coats.

I have three medium armor wearing characters now. My thief is wearing Berserker Duelist. My ranger and engineer are both wearing the Krytan set from the gem store. The vast majority of my other options are… coats. Lots and lots of coats. I’m tired of coats. Give me some other option.

Posted by: nornh.9280

nornh.9280

I love the look of the Inquest Breastplate. It’s the perfect look for a thief, IMO.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ultima Thule.3950

Ultima Thule.3950

I don’t necessarily want bikini armor for a female character, but seriously, trenchcoats only? What about full-body leather armor, as so many other MMO’s have implemented quite nicely? Trenchcoats are NOT medium armor- they are light, no matter how you spin it. To be proper medium armor, you have to have actual thick leather encasing the body- with thicker, extra leather pads in the key parts. A floppy coat ain’t gonna cut it.

Man that would be if you ONLY were wearing the coat, the coat in many of the designs in this game, it is wear over the armor. Take for example the Mist Walker set, Rascal set, Gunner set etc.

Posted by: Bsquared.3421

Bsquared.3421

These threads make me giggle. You guys may as well be saying all females should wear is a combat bikini. To all you guys who really can’t seem to grasp why you make normal people laugh, I refer you to this wonderful video.

Armor does not need to double as a stripper outfit to be considered appealing. If that is your standard then get out more often.

That video is hilarious. Gotta love college humor…

Nerfedname – Elementalist
Legion of Anvil Rock [XXIV] – Anvil Rock

Posted by: liandral.3275

liandral.3275

Every MMO I have ever played in the last 15 years, this subject invariably crops up.

Female armor is too sexy, not sexy enough, not realistic…..ad infinitum.

Those rare games in which it hasnt, there has been one main factor – variety.

To create well designed armor for women (and the guys playing women, we know you do! ) give variety for us to choose from and the players are extremely happy.

I have my thief in Krytan, but not everyone wishes to use gem-store bought items

Though there are other sets, there are a large amount of trenchcoats out there ANet so you were lazy,

Posted by: gaelicvixen.6401

gaelicvixen.6401

Navi.7142 wrote:
“As a female player I’m not really interested in half-naked armor (either it doesn’t
have to be a entirely covering armor), but we need more variety. If you have a
look at rangers (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ranger_armor) or assas
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Assassin_armor) from the original gw, you’ll notice
that there were not that high usage of coats.
For me it feels like a step backwards.
Hopefully they will add something different in the future. ^^”

^THIS. I really wish they hadn’t scrapped profession specific armour.

Or at the very least I wish they’d designed more sets with Rangers and Thieves in mind. Those huge coats with the big collars, the thick gloves and boots, and the Rough Rider-style hats? They all scream Engineer to me.

The hats with the feathers, though, those scream “I am fabulous!” so they really ought to belong to the Mesmers. ^_~

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

This is my current look, I’m still unsure on those boots & gloves though and may change them if I find something better looking.

Attachments:

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: wumpusrat.4769

wumpusrat.4769

Looking at the variety of leather armor from GW1 in that link Navi posted, I’m saddened GW2’s medium armor seems to have a serious lack of variety.

I don’t want stripper-armor. I don’t want trechcoats. Why can’t I have normal leather armor? Pants, a shirt/tunic that doesn’t go down past my belt, etc?

I would LOVE something like the krytan faction armor (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Ranger_Krytan_armor_f.jpg) or the istani armor (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Ranger_Istani_armor_f.jpg) for my ranger in GW2.

Please, ANet, no more trenchcoats.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

There’s a few shorter ones: http://i.imgur.com/seo4E.jpg

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Not from what I’ve seen ^_^ some screens:

The girl to my left with the longbow… how could you call that awful?

Attachments:

Posted by: spicytunaroll.7295

spicytunaroll.7295

we’re not showing an acceptable amount of skin guys. there needs to be moar fleshydeliciousness so i can proudly and properly identify with my char!

seriously though .. i love my medium armors.

Attachments:

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Sorry, but there’s nothing awful about this armor. I think you meant “Fantastic.”

Attachments:

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I don’t think it’s ‘awfull’.
But I do think it’s an awfull lot of the same…

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

No need to throw the word “Female” in there; as it goes for both genders. ;/
Could at least make coats like this for meh veggie thief .-. http://imgur.com/zn7AW

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

there was a Pirate outfit you got on the storyline mission. It was your basic shirt/vest and pants. That is an outfit I would have loved, sadly shirts and vests do not exist for us.