My opinion of home instance.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i think that this was bad from the start nobody goes there ever its not fun like housing sistem what is their point they where bad implemented discussion for this pls

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

i think that this was bad from the start nobody goes there ever its not fun like housing sistem what is their point they where bad implemented discussion for this pls

I wish they’d add a housing (W/ the option to design) system in the home instance

Although, I kind of go to the home instance every now and then to check out with the NPCs that are present from the choices I made It feels immersive and rp-ish

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: LinkR.6190

LinkR.6190

Home instance? What the heck are you guys talking about?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Technically you have a home in GW2, it’s pretty much just an unfinished project at the moment. Lots of empty space. Unless you’re a Sylvari, then you have a lot of strange people loitering around your home instance.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_instance

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Breytes.6901

Breytes.6901

There is a zone point in each racial city that when viewed on the map has HOME in quotes below its name, that is your personal home instance. In the BWE’s there was more interaction with them and more changes inside of them based on your decisions during the completion of your personal story.

Now they are just used as a back drop during your personal story and they will have some of the NPC’s you have saved or worked with in them as you complete the story. That is it in a nut shell, nothing overly drawing you back to it other than to see the NPC’s you helped along the way. They do not do anything special o interact differently than the other NPC’s at that point but it is a neat bit to celebrate your triumphs while in Tyria.

Breytes Rondoure 80 Guardian of the Blood Legion

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

It’s clearly largely unfinished.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

I miss guild halls.

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

I like the home instance

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

The home instance was one of those cornerstones of game design that people took an immediate interest in. It’s description made it sound quite inventive. Somewhere along the way though, the idea died and it became a bit of a joke. Almost none of the plans we’d heard about ended up being implemented and it become nothing more than a place you had to go to a couple of times as part of your personal story. It really didn’t change according to your actions at all, and nothing about it reflected the uniqueness of each character.

Sadly, people with a Hall of Monuments tend to find it a more personalized experience than their home instance, and the HoM was dedicated to a player in a different game, who has been dead for more than two centuries. This makes the home instance a rather significant failure.

Maybe they’ll do something with it in a couple of years.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I would love to see this fleshed out. It had such promise but it fell away..
we can have player housing in the home instance and it would be awesome if the instance actually reflected our story.. there is so much possibility there.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I was just wondering about this on Saturday night while 100%ing Black Citidel. I wasn’t in BWE so I didn’t know there was actually stuff going on in them at one point, but I was thinking it’s kind of silly to have to instance in to a part of the city that’s really no different than the rest.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I was just wondering about this on Saturday night while 100%ing Black Citidel. I wasn’t in BWE so I didn’t know there was actually stuff going on in them at one point, but I was thinking it’s kind of silly to have to instance in to a part of the city that’s really no different than the rest.

The only thing different in the BWEs really was that you collected seeds to make dyes, and gave them to an NPC in your home instance to grow them. And you had to come back the next day to collect the dye.

Needless to say, that didn’t survive long in the beta. I don’t think it even made it to BWE2.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s an amazing idea that has led to an amazingly sterile place. I have at least one of each race, gone into the home instance for each, and there is nothing there to hold your interest for longer than a few minutes. You can’t customize it in any way. Can’t add NPCs to it like you could to Guild Wars 1 guild halls. Can’t waypoint to it for free from anywhere in the world, which at least would give you SOME reason to go there. Can’t interact with it. All you can do is wander around and look at it. It’s heart is hollow and it has no “soul”.

Maybe if they made it into this games equivalent of the Hall of Monuments.
1) store (and show off) armor and weapon skins with mannequins there that you could reuse as you wants.
2) store amor and weapon stats there so you could switch builds/stats without carrying multiple sets in your inventory
3) have a place to show off your minipets
4) have a way to place statues to show off the titles you earned. If you have dungeon master for example, you get a statue commemorating this which you could place there.
5) store and show off your town clothing and costumes/armor/weapons you got from the gem store.
6) have an inscribeable place where you could tell about your character that you could update at will.

TL:DR
It needs to have something that personalizes the instance to you. Things you can take people to and they can look at or you can look at and remember, I did that.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I must say if my googling is any indication ANet was always rather mute on the importance of home instances, what little I found was technically accurate and appears in game, but I think the big problem was more a matter of the playerbase over hyping them and ANet not calming said hype. But that said I really don’t like the implementation of the hope instance, it doesn’t feel particularly home-y, or more accurately I don’t feel it accurately reflects my character. Probably because I don’t have much direct capacity to affect how it looks and feels.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Home Instance is very unfinished. Also, i would take a Guild Hall way before more home instance stuff

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

The most strange thing in my home instance are the NPCs that hang around there. Maybe I’m really oblivious but there are some who I’ve never seen before. oO It might be that some did appear in my personal story but I think I had so few interaction with them that I never became really familiar with them. Some of them I know by name at least, but what are they doing in MY place? oO

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Home instances are, in my opinion, a complete waste of time. They could have been a nice addition to the game, but the execution of whatever concept they originally had for home instances fell very flat.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The most strange thing in my home instance are the NPCs that hang around there. Maybe I’m really oblivious but there are some who I’ve never seen before. oO It might be that some did appear in my personal story but I think I had so few interaction with them that I never became really familiar with them. Some of them I know by name at least, but what are they doing in MY place? oO

They are stalking you and now they know where your home is. Be afraid, be very afraid. :P

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

sigh seems like I got to go to the arcane council to get an injunction to get them out. Oh wait, they don’t like me anymore since that incident with the golems. My home got squatted.

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

Apparently actual player housing is on the drawing board for future updates. It’s still quite a ways away though, I’d imagine.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

things that would make the home instance better:

travel to and from is free from anywhere, or a simple flat rate not based on distance.
contains trading post, bank, guild storage, merchants, armor / weapon vendors and various karma merchants.
vendors in the area that represent your advancement in your respective crafting discipline, race, profession, story choices and so on.
rename them Guild Halls.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)