My opinion of the game.

My opinion of the game.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

250 t6 mats + 50 gobs (later you’ll require 250 gobs for another upgrade) or 1850 relics isnt exactly fun to gather. It is a plain a simple grind.

Why not make a very hard boss that requires COORDINATION and learning a fight that rewards you those items? You know, loot table?

The way it is now, we only have an insane grind.

I dont mind having those 2 ways to get gear, after all, some people that wants to grind or cant take down that hard instance but tries a lot (thus getting 1850 relics) could achieve it.

But game should favor skill and coordination. Not running fractals over and over till you puke. That’s grinding.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

But grind is such a bad word and we don’t make grindy games, it’s progression and in a fun way, too!
Oh in case you missed it, collecting dyes on your characters is also a progression, don;t forget to collect them all (preferably using out store, hint hint, unless you missed the hint of us lowering the drop rate!).

Yes, it’s grind but it seems that at the moment grind is the only idea Anet has to keep players in-game.
Which makes little sense in a game advertised as not grindy.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Chris.6105

Chris.6105

I am not grinding and i have to say, i will make enough money without grinding to pay my exotic equipment before i ever will see a 400 through using the mats i find without grinding…

And i never were in fractals, but the whole “go fractals, get descended”, i totally dislike it…

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Llywellyn.4635

Llywellyn.4635

Why not make a very hard boss that requires COORDINATION and learning a fight that rewards you those items? You know, loot table?

oh this one is easy.

its because people come straigt to the forums and pretend to be “the voice of the community” after they die just once with a random group in a dungeon they entered for the first time…
and “the voice of the community” knows exactly what the community wants…

this is why they cant make any hard bosses… unfortunately

sorry for any grammer and/or spelling mistakes
english isnt my native language

(edited by Llywellyn.4635)

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Looria.8019

Looria.8019

This game is the most grindy and farmy game I have ever played.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Primal.9513

Primal.9513

Don’t worry, that’s only ONE piece, there are 10+ more to come!

But it’s fine, since they will probably be available in WvW and for Karma.

My wild guess would be 1500 Honor tokens and 750k karma each.

“We don’t make grindy games!”

Then GW2 is either not a game, or made by you.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Don’t worry, that’s only ONE piece, there are 10+ more to come!

But it’s fine, since they will probably be available in WvW and for Karma.

My wild guess would be 1500 Honor tokens and 750k karma each.

Mmmm, realistically I’d say 480k Karma, and available from the end of a DE chain which is 3 long and requires a concentrated effort to pass.

Either that, or seeding in a dozen or so DEs which drop special tokens, and a new Token NPC somewhere who will exchange them. I wouldn’t be surprised if Modus Sceleris turned out to be where that gets chosen, given what I’ve found them being up to in places.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: voidelysium.7285

voidelysium.7285

During the AMA it was stated that these ascended pieces will eventually be obtainable by other methods, which I believe is the right direction to take. The problem is those of us who fall foul of the RNG gods who do not get any ascended rings and whatnot, get left behind in fractals, which, right now, is the only way to farm good loot and ascended items.

I believe that the fixes will come too little too late in regards to making the game feel less grindy, or repairing the fragmented community.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

250 t6 mats + 50 gobs (later you’ll require 250 gobs for another upgrade) or 1850 relics isnt exactly fun to gather. It is a plain a simple grind.

The way it is now, we only have an insane grind.

I dont mind having those 2 ways to get gear, after all, some people that wants to grind or cant take down that hard instance but tries a lot (thus getting 1850 relics) could achieve it.

But game should favor skill and coordination. Not running fractals over and over till you puke. That’s grinding.

Since those items are only needed for running high lvl fotm…what exactly is your problem? To even need them, you need to like grinding fotm. If you don’t…just look at all the other things you can be doing….

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Grav.4790

Grav.4790

At least you can get back with stats you need. You will probably never get a ring you want with all that RNG.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Gotta have more grind! Extreme grind is the only type of gameplay. Oh wait, I mean “vertical progression” since “[they] don’t make grindy games”. After all, grind is the only type of gameplay that can exist and is super fun and difficult.

Have to please the Nexon overlords by making the game as unfun to play as possible!

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Games are supposed to be an escape from reality, just like drugs. at least drugs doesn’t require you to farm 250 ectos and 250 vials of powerful blood to get high.

My opinion of the game.

ChairGraveyard.2967

Games are supposed to be an escape from reality, just like drugs. at least drugs doesn’t require you to farm 250 ectos and 250 vials of powerful blood to get high.

If drugs required you to mindlessly mash 5-10 buttons for 300+ hours (or more) before you could use them, there probably wouldn’t even be any drug users.

Same thing applies to GW2… if you have to do something mindless and unfun for 300 hours just to get the point where you can continue to do what you actually want to be doing…well. Sooner or later there won’t be GW2 players either.

But I guess that goes against their “new manifesto” which amounts to “grinding mindlessly boring stuff for absurd amounts of hours in return for junk rewards is the most fun thing ever to be invented in games in the history of games.”

ArenaNet: “We love to make extremely painfully grindy games.” <———— Should be their new tagline.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

Go play Aion, or any Eastern style MMO. Grindy grindy grindy.

Unfortunately I think ANet had to knuckle under to the publisher(s). It’s a trend, and a bad one.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

My opinion of the game.

ChairGraveyard.2967

Go play Aion, or any Eastern style MMO. Grindy grindy grindy.

Unfortunately I think ANet had to knuckle under to the publisher(s). It’s a trend, and a bad one.

GW2 at release (pre-DR, pre-nerfing all the loot and income etc.) was less grindy than Aion and other Korean-style super grinders. Now? It’s not quite as bad, but it’s nearly there. Anyway, I do agree that it’s not the grindiest game by a large stretch, but they are making into one of the grindiest Western MMOs ever made.

Also, they seem to be dead set on increasing the grind (whether via making more items that require huge amounts of rare materials, or by nerfing drop rates into the ground) with every single patch.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I agree, but Chris Whiteside said they are taking steps to reduce the grind for some of the new stuff.

But folks, bigger picture: Take out the grind and what do you have? What are you left with? Will you still log in? Grinding is what keeps people playing. If you took out grinding, theres no reason to play GW2 other than wvw or spvp. You wouldnt be working for anything new. Youd have it all, already.

With that said, I am against gear treadmills of any kind. Grinding out dungeon sets for weeks or months on end for cosmetics was fine to me.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: GrapeGatsby.6937

GrapeGatsby.6937

Yes, but the argument is that you don’t “have” to grind nudge nudge wink wink*

My opinion of the game.

GrapeGatsby.6937

I agree, but Chris Whiteside said they are taking steps to reduce the grind for some of the new stuff.

But folks, bigger picture: Take out the grind and what do you have? What are you left with? Will you still log in? Grinding is what keeps people playing. If you took out grinding, theres no reason to play GW2 other than wvw or spvp. You wouldnt be working for anything new. Youd have it all, already.

With that said, I am against gear treadmills of any kind. Grinding out dungeon sets for weeks or months on end for cosmetics was fine to me.

And that’s why GW1 focused more on PvP than PvE, it’s difficult to keep people interested in PvE without some kind of grind or continual progression.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

If you took out grinding, theres no reason to play GW2 other than wvw or spvp.

True, but if they stuck to their strengths and really pushed out a dynamic environment where personal, guild, and server actions (or lack of actions) have real consequences (a true sense of horizontal progression), then you wouldn’t actually need so much grindy filler to keep people playing.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

True, but if they stuck to their strengths and really pushed out a dynamic environment where personal, guild, and server actions (or lack of actions) have real consequences (a true sense of horizontal progression), then you wouldn’t actually need so much grindy filler to keep people playing.

Look at all the contested waypoints on Orr. Tell me they’re not the real consequences of player inaction.

My opinion of the game.

GrapeGatsby.6937

Not sure how they would do this but it sounds nice in text, but so does a lot of other things, implementing it is the problem.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Legendary weapons provide no benefits over exotics other than appearance. It seems there’s a widespread opinion that the appearance for most of the legendaries are not as appealing as they had hoped except for the greatswords.

The ascended accessories in the game are only slightly better than exotics and will likely not provide you any noticeable advantage. The other feature with ascended, infusions, currently are only used in fractals.

None of these are necessary to enjoy 99% of the game. You made the choice to make the game seem like a grind.

My opinion of the game.

ChairGraveyard.2967

Look at all the contested waypoints on Orr. Tell me they’re not the real consequences of player inaction.

They aren’t. They’re the product of ANet obsoleting open world content by nerfing drop rates into oblivion and making FotM the only place to get (ridiculously grindy) Ascended gear.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

They aren’t. They’re the product of ANet obsoleting open world content by nerfing drop rates into oblivion and making FotM the only place to get (ridiculously grindy) Ascended gear.

I’m confused. But they are, by your own logic. Going by what you said, nerfed drop rates → Most players run FotM – > less players playing in Orr → wp contested in Orr.

I think we’re in agreement.

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

That only affects the zone…. that’s hardly dynamic. Whereas, say, by helping the Pact in other zones, it increases their presence in Orr (since that’s where the main focus of the story’s campaign is and they can now allocate more resources to it). Points now become less likely to be captured because there’s more NPCs or they’re more robust making them harder to kill and easier for them to essentially hold the point on their own. Flipside, by doing nothing in other zones it thins the Pact out (because they have to “reinforce” those areas), making it more likely for points to be steamrolled over. Not saying this example wouldn’t require some fanagling of how DEs currently work… but to me dynamic extends beyond a captured point.

It’s like saying Skyrim is dynamic because you can choose to join Imperials or Stormcloaks; which dethrones certain Jarls in order to appoint those more sympathetic to whatever cause you joined… yet taking these actions have no real impact on the world other than potentially pissing off the Blades leader and blocking the main story progression (depending on whatever point you’re at in it).

My opinion of the game.

Reihert.1509

Gm ediited my post thead name….
At least leave the word grind iin there (in my opnion gw2 is too grindy).
I feel fooled by devs by tje amount of grind and lack of challenge Im seeing in game.

My opinion of the game.

ChairGraveyard.2967

I’m confused. But they are, by your own logic. Going by what you said, nerfed drop rates -> Most players run FotM – > less players playing in Orr -> wp contested in Orr.

I think we’re in agreement.

Right, I’m just saying it’s not a product of players’ actions in an organic sense. Instead, everything is contested because ArenaNet disincentivized playing in PvE zones in favor of shoe-horning everyone into FotM.

In any case, yeah I agree :p

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

But folks, bigger picture: Take out the grind and what do you have? What are you left with? Will you still log in? Grinding is what keeps people playing.

Doesn’t keep me playing.

Engaging and varied content with replay value keeps me playing. Robust support for the social aspect of the game keeps me playing. Customization options, user generated content—things that impart a sense of ownership—keep me playing.

If grind was an attraction or motivation, there are other MMOs I’d’ve started playing a long time ago. And I’d still be there.

My opinion of the game.

ChairGraveyard.2967

But folks, bigger picture: Take out the grind and what do you have? What are you left with? Will you still log in? Grinding is what keeps people playing.

Doesn’t keep me playing.

Engaging and varied content with replay value keeps me playing. Robust support for the social aspect of the game keeps me playing. Customization options, user generated content—things that impart a sense of ownership—keep me playing.

If grind was an attraction or motivation, there are other MMOs I’d’ve started playing a long time ago. And I’d still be there.

This. Grind is not the only gameplay that exists despite what the no-life grinders keep repeating.

Also, there are thousands of grind-centric MMOs that do grinding better than GW2 does. GW2 was supposed to be an anti-grind game, and was basically the only one that exists.

If you love grind, congratulations! The entire MMO industry is catered specifically to your love of grind.

GW2 was never meant to be yet another grinder. If you want that, go play one of the thousands of MMOs that caters to your love of grind.

(Using the impersonal “you”, not aimed at you cesmode).

My opinion of the game.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

It is very unfortunate that it ended up this way. Anet saw a bleeding of player retention in sept and they scrambled. The only thing they could come up with was to grind and add in VP and reduce the drop rates of loot. This was an effort to retain and keep players long term and to stem the flow.
However this has had a horrific effect on population (and numbers) and now that normal players are seeing what is involved – they are getting irritated with it. In order to monetize what is left of the population they are forcing the grind and the casuals to purchase gems in order to continue gearing up or catching goal posts.

I dont think it was a good decision and it has had serious consequences. I hoped that they would have had more HP in the pipe but didnt and short term quick retention is grind. It is cost effective and quicker to create from what I have been told.

My opinion of the game.

Reihert.1509

It is very unfortunate that it ended up this way. Anet saw a bleeding of player retention in sept and they scrambled. The only thing they could come up with was to grind and add in VP and reduce the drop rates of loot. This was an effort to retain and keep players long term and to stem the flow.
However this has had a horrific effect on population (and numbers) and now that normal players are seeing what is involved – they are getting irritated with it. In order to monetize what is left of the population they are forcing the grind and the casuals to purchase gems in order to continue gearing up or catching goal posts.

I dont think it was a good decision and it has had serious consequences. I hoped that they would have had more HP in the pipe but didnt and short term quick retention is grind. It is cost effective and quicker to create from what I have been told.

I’m surprised no big MMO site has talked about it yet.
They only reacted to bots when that guy posted about the balant amount of bots on a certain website….