My prediction is coming true (DEs and fewer people)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Archangel.1604

Archangel.1604

I’m seeing more and more DEs just be given up on because there aren’t enough people around to do them.

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

Yes it was to be expected; a huge world, many events – but by now the majority of players are doing endgame content. So only a few weeks after launch most of the world is already pretty much deserted.

In way it’s a shame that so much of the content is essentially rushed trough, and people end up repeating a small part of the content over and over again – but such is the design of the game.

Sure you can visit all those lower level areas that you haven’t seen yet, but you won’t be able to do most of the group events because there are not enough players there anymore.

And yes you can roll another character, but you’ll run into that same problem with low population areas. Also rolling another character as a solution to lackluster lvl 80 gameplay only proves that lvl 80 gameplay is lacking – at least so for casual gamers.

As easy as it was to find players doing group events in the lower level areas, so hard it is to team up after lvl 80. Lvl 80 gameplay only really works well for people who are in large active guilds, it’s not for casual gamers.

In spite of all GW2’s innovations, level 80 gameplay is essentially old-school tier treadmill that involves mandatory dungeon-specific grouping. That also brings back the limitation of timeliness; even if you are with a guild they might do any dungeon once or twice a day, if you miss out then you’ll have to find something else to do for the duration, which can be a few hours.

That is in sharp contrast with the gameplay at lower levels during the first few weeks after launch, when the lower level areas had sufficient population that you could go anywhere and participate in group events.

Posted by: Clay Ray.7140

Clay Ray.7140

^^
Or just WVW and problem solved

Posted by: muthax.4720

muthax.4720

I was getting worried, almost 20 days since Early Start and hadn’t see any doom and gloom (and gloating) thread

Now, this is a relief…. everything is back to ‘normal’

Posted by: Vivik.8259

Vivik.8259

Sorry but I don’t see it. After leveling my first character I’m back at it for round two with my second. I have yet to see any “dead DEs” on my server.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

/m is your friend (and perhaps /g). Call backup.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Torrance.8012

Torrance.8012

Sorry but I don’t see it. After leveling my first character I’m back at it for round two with my second. I have yet to see any “dead DEs” on my server.

Yep same. Also, I’ve always gone out of my way to find the less popular DEs, the zergs are just boring.

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

^^
Or just WVW and problem solved

WvW requires PC performance that’s a least twice of what is sufficient for PvE, is usually very unbalanced (one team r*p*ng another), and involves ridiculous long walking distances.

So no, WvW is not an alternative to PvE.

/m is your friend (and perhaps /g). Call backup.

That’s a workaround for a problem that used not to exist. It does not change anything about low population areas.

Which server is that?

Posted by: Vivik.8259

Vivik.8259

Which server is that?

Ehmry Bay.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

PIken Square is still busy as hell in the early to mid levels.

Plus, it’s when the zergs start thinning out that the DEs get really intersting and really … dynamic.

i.e. when the zergs are nipping everything in the bud in the early levels, the zones don’t change much, in the later zones, when not all DEs are cut off in their prime, the zones shift and change quite a lot.

Also, it gets more interesting later on in that you have to call for assistance if you’re the only one starting a DE – or you can be in a roving party looking for them.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

The interesting thing about the DE’s is they scale according to how many people there are around them. So even if there is just one person around, they can complete a DE with the help of the NPC’s. I have done that before in the early hours of the morning before most people are awake and playing.

Archangel.1604

I was getting worried, almost 20 days since Early Start and hadn’t see any doom and gloom (and gloating) thread

Wow…someone is feeling insecure.

I guess you’re right, the best way to deal with a problem or potential problem is to ignore it.

Archangel.1604

The interesting thing about the DE’s is they scale according to how many people there are around them. So even if there is just one person around, they can complete a DE with the help of the NPC’s. I have done that before in the early hours of the morning before most people are awake and playing.

And what class are you playing?

I’d certainly like to see you taking on 4 mobs with a mesmer solo. And those NPCs…yeah, they’re all face down in the dirt.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Gunnar’s Hold is still very busy. I was completing low level areas on my 80 last night and there were people everywhere.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

On Orr most events actually have too much people playing them. Scaling only works up to a certain point, resulting in 50-100 people bashing 20 monsters to death in mere seconds.

Make it viable for high-levels to go back to lower level areas. I’d love to kill anything other than Undead and Icebrood but at this point it’s just worth it to go to, for example, a lvl 40 zone.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Kana.6793

It’s not that bad really, I got somewhere between 200-300 karma for events in Plains of Ashford.

Archangel.1604

On Orr most events actually have too much people playing them. Scaling only works up to a certain point, resulting in 50-100 people bashing 20 monsters to death in mere seconds.

Make it viable for high-levels to go back to lower level areas. I’d love to kill anything other than Undead and Icebrood but at this point it’s just worth it to go to, for example, a lvl 40 zone.

I think that’s one of the problems, they demonstrably have not delivered on one of their “promises”. Old content is not rewarding. Players will go where the most bang for their buck is, and right now that’s a million people in Orr. Until other areas give equal rewards…noone will spend a lot of time in them. They may pass through for completion…but that will be one shot.

Also, to everyone telling me “I haven’t seen any problems”

It doesn’t matter if you have seen the issue, I have.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

after the initial millions of players zerg through the same zones-starting weeks it is natural that we will have less and less players on maps. But I think this is a good thing. Atm, DE are really, really easy (apart from the giant zone monster events which probably require rather a lot of partakers), so I´d say having only a few people working really hard – even playing in a group/party – for DE completion is the way these events are actually intended to be. Instead of 300 people bashing 1-5 wildly.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Uh, what? Are we playing the same game?

Archangel.1604

after the initial millions of players zerg through the same zones-starting weeks it is natural that we will have less and less players on maps. But I think this is a good thing. Atm, DE are really, really easy (apart from the giant zone monster events which probably require rather a lot of partakers), so I´d say having only a few people working really hard – even playing in a group/party – for DE completion is the way these events are actually intended to be. Instead of 300 people bashing 1-5 wildly.

So by this train of thought as the game ages it’s going to be harder and harder for people to level as quickly as previous generations.

Also, many of the Champs require more than 5 people at level.

And as you pointed out….just forget the zone end boss.

Archangel.1604

Just so people know, not everyone is playing at US prime time.

muthax.4720

I guess you’re right, the best way to deal with a problem or potential problem is to ignore it.

No, never. But hey whatever rocks your boat. Today is trolling here, tomorrow it will be somewhere else. Who cares?

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I think tweaking the scaling would really help – since as has been said in other threads, the higher cost of waypoints and repairs is making it hard for people to want to go back.

I’m not sure how repairs should be handled – because it would obviously be an exploit to just zap over to a lower zone for cheap repairs.

Waypoints are easier, I think – have them scale either by what level you are, or the distance you want to go.

muthax.4720

If it wasn’t that you need to purchase the game to post here, I’d say he doesn’t…

Unfortunately, there are people who are willing to part with a sum of money to get their favourite form of entertainment. Whatever that is.

Edited by moderator: Please avoid capital letters writing

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Nyxx.8316

Nyxx.8316

Understandable. On my server (Jade Quarry), at US prime time (and several hours before and after), there is absolutely no problem with DE’s. Can’t speak from 6AM – 3PM EST because I’m working or 12AM – 5 AM EST because I’m sleeping.

But honestly, to complain that no one is available to complete DE’s during non US prime time is just- well- silly. What do you expect? Most people go to school and work… how on earth are there supposed to be people online to complete DE’s if they’re unable to play because they’re experiencing real life?

Archangel.1604

No, never. But hey whatever rocks your boat. Today is trolling here, tomorrow it will be somewhere else. Who cares?

So now pointing out a problem is automatically trolling?

Rabid fanboyism is humorous to watch I must admit.

muthax.4720

So now pointing out a problem is automatically trolling?

Rabid fanboyism is humorous to watch I must admit.

And with that you just proved once more if necessary what you are really expecting out of this thread. Thank you!

PS Pointing out (perceived) problems while offering a solution is constructive criticism, while making up stuff with no solutions and calling rabid fanboys who disagree with you, that’s called in another way. What’s up? Down at mmorpg.com you finally decided to put money together so you could bu ya copy and come flaming the forum? Good choice, sir

Kana.6793

What time are you playing at then? I see no problems between 6pm-midnight.

Archangel.1604

Understandable. On my server (Jade Quarry), at US prime time (and several hours before and after), there is absolutely no problem with DE’s. Can’t speak from 6AM – 3PM EST because I’m working or 12AM – 5 AM EST because I’m sleeping.

But honestly, to complain that no one is available to complete DE’s during non US prime time is just- well- silly. What do you expect? Most people go to school and work… how on earth are there supposed to be people online to complete DE’s if they’re unable to play because they’re experiencing real life?

So the game should only cater to US prime time? That’s limiting your customer base…even in the US.

And before anyone gets any bright ideas, I’m an American currently living overseas.

Archangel.1604

5-11pm

JST

Nyxx.8316

So the game should only cater to US prime time? That’s limiting your customer base…even in the US.

And before anyone gets any bright ideas, I’m an American currently living overseas.

Nope- not saying that at all. There are plenty of other things to do other than DE’s in this game. The fact that you’re overseas is difficult, bur don’t they have EU servers that would better fit your time zone issue?

Fact is, your title says “My prediction is coming true (DEs and fewer people)” and I’m telling you that this isn’t the case during a large portion of the day.

It may be because of your time zone issue, but during the time when most people are on in the US, DE’s are not an issue. Could they be at some point, sure, but that’s not being seen now, at least, not on my server.

(edited by Nyxx.8316)

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

I’m seeing more and more DEs just be given up on because there aren’t enough people around to do them.

The only event I have seen any trouble with is bloodwitch and for one reason, its an underwater event that a lot of players seem to have difficulty finding. The second reason is I actually do think it needs a tweek. The vet mobs are respawning in under 30 seconds. I dont think that should be happening.

As for your prediction … well whatever helps you sleep at night. Your server may have an issue but mine is nicely populated across every area I have been in.

Kana.6793

5-11pm

JST

On a US server? That’s 1am US pacific time isn’t it? (Please correct me if I’m wrong there, I’m in Europe!) I think you definitely need to be on an unofficial Oceanic server if you aren’t already.

Posted by: barbour.3062

barbour.3062

If it wasn’t that you need to purchase the game to post here, I’d say he doesn’t…

Unfortunately, there are people who are willing to part with a sum of money to get their favourite form of entertainment. Whatever that is.

Uh? If you have purchased the first guild wars you can login and post w/o the second. Found this out b4 my purchase of the second.

Archangel.1604

5-11pm

JST

On a US server? That’s 1am US pacific time isn’t it? (Please correct me if I’m wrong there, I’m in Europe!) I think you definitely need to be on an unofficial Oceanic server if you aren’t already.

Yup, and I am…

Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

So by this train of thought as the game ages it’s going to be harder and harder for people to level as quickly as previous generations.

Also, many of the Champs require more than 5 people at level.

And as you pointed out….just forget the zone end boss.

yes, probably, but there are a lot of sources for xp. As for the rest, I think you are wrong, champs are beatable with 3 players, maybe less – still, are you telling me you do not expect to get 5 people together to play with? The game will change to a more organized form of grouping for sure, but the day you cannot find 5 people willing to partake in these events will be quite some time away – and that will be a day to worry about. But in the next months or even 2 years, I doubt that, given the obvious success just now.

muthax.4720

Uh? If you have purchased the first guild wars you can login and post w/o the second. Found this out b4 my purchase of the second.

Ah thanks, that would explain some things. I didn’t know.

Posted by: Tyrindor.5049

Tyrindor.5049

I hate to say it but I feel the game’s design is a bit flawed.

DEs just aren’t popping up in many zones due to lack of population, so just having fun in the dynamic world does not exist anymore. Everyone is in Orr doing events that i’ve done 100 times already and even Orr seems to be losing population. Dungeon grind is not worth the time because i’m not doing 50+ exploration runs of the same dungeon for cosmetics and no other rewards.

It only took me 130 hours (according to /age) to get 100% map. This was FAR less than expected (I was expecting 500+ hours). The problem is many zones just feel dead. There’s hardly any DEs in them. You do hearts and vistas, get your 100% map, and leave never to return. This is mainly due to population being so spread out over the world.

The best part of the content is rushed through or missed completely because it doesn’t trigger. The world is too big to have a steady population in every zone. They needed to just not have servers, and do the same thing as GW1 as they did in towns. If you want a packed zone, go to instance 1. If you don’t, go to instance 10, etc.

Here’s hoping they fix the system.

(edited by Tyrindor.5049)

Nyxx.8316

5-11pm

JST

Yup, and I am…

Isle of Janthir

Ok, but no one in the US would be playing at the time you would be on. Perhaps the server you’re on just doesn’t have a lot of people on it?

I’m sorry that there aren’t a lot of people doing DE’s when you are, but to head a post with “My prediction is coming true” just isn’t accurate and will cause an instant negative response. Instead, you should have said “My prediction is coming true on my server”…

I don’t know how many people play overseas, but I guess my question for you is were DE’s very popular and all of a sudden died off on your server, or have they always been kind of slow? On the servers here, the issue you’re seeing is just not happening, at least, from my perspective.

(edited by Nyxx.8316)

Kana.6793

5-11pm

JST

Yup, and I am…

Isle of Janthir

Hmm don’t know what else to suggest really, other than maybe starting a thread asking for an official Oceanic server to try to gather more people who will be out of bed during your play hours.

Archangel.1604

5-11pm

JST

Yup, and I am…

Isle of Janthir

Ok, but no one in the US would be playing at the time you would be on. Perhaps the server you’re on just doesn’t have a lot of people on it?

I’m sorry that there aren’t a lot of people doing DE’s when you are, but to head a post with “your prediction is coming true” just isn’t accurate and will cause an instant negative response. Instead, you should have said “My prediction is coming true on my server”…

I don’t know how many people play overseas, but I guess my question for you is were DE’s very popular and all of a sudden died off on your server, or have they always been kind of slow? On the servers here, the issue you’re seeing is just not happening, at least, from my perspective.

There are fewer people in the low level zones, and that is something that isn’t going to get better, it WILL get worse.

I know some will not like this, but I’ve been playing MMOs for something like 17 years. I’ve played pretty much every major one at least a little.

After playing them that long it gets pretty easy to see where the problems are going to be, especially when they begin manifesting early.

And some still seem to think the 4 timezones in the US are indicative of the other 20 timezones around the world.

P.S. Isle of Janthir is one of the unofficial Oceanic servers.

Nyxx.8316

5-11pm

JST

Yup, and I am…

Isle of Janthir

I’m sorry that there aren’t a lot of people doing DE’s when you are, but to head a post with “your prediction is coming true” just isn’t accurate and will cause an instant negative response. Instead, you should have said “My prediction is coming true on my server”…

There are fewer people in the low level zones, and that is something that isn’t going to get better, it WILL get worse.

I know some will not like this, but I’ve been playing MMOs for something like 17 years. I’ve played pretty much every major one at least a little.

After playing them that long it gets pretty easy to see where the problems are going to be, especially when they begin manifesting early.

And some still seem to think the 4 timezones in the US are indicative of the other 20 timezones around the world.

P.S. Isle of Janthir is one of the unofficial Oceanic servers.

I didn’t realize the Oceanic servers were unofficial. :-/ That’s kind of tough to work with.

See, I have two main characters- one’s a 10 and one’s a 30 and both never seem to have an issue with DE’s. I definitely understand what you’re saying with regards to the fact that some people don’t recognize that what’s happening in the US isn’t what’s happening in the rest of the world, but what I’m trying to tell you is that low pop DE’s are not happening here yet.

How popular is the game in Japan? When you log into the game, are there a lot of people doing PvP and WvWvW? If so, then you’re right in your concern that DE’s have issues on your server and could be a potential issue for others in the future. However, if the population of your server is just a low population, then your hypothesis isn’t 100% accurate.

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

I don’t subscribe much to the doom and gloom of the OP, but I definitely agree that waypoint costs scaling to the level of the zone (instead of character level) and event rewards scaling to character level (instead of the zone) would make it much easier for high-level characters to go back and enjoy any zone in the game, instead of being funneled all into one space.

I’m honestly not sure what advantage they get from doing it the way they’re doing it.

Posted by: LED Head.2439

LED Head.2439

The only event I have seen any trouble with is bloodwitch and for one reason, its an underwater event that a lot of players seem to have difficulty finding. The second reason is I actually do think it needs a tweek. The vet mobs are respawning in under 30 seconds. I dont think that should be happening.

As for your prediction … well whatever helps you sleep at night. Your server may have an issue but mine is nicely populated across every area I have been in.

I play on Sea of Sorrows and it is about the same here but people do actively broadcast for help all the time for this one. I play in Australia as well I don’t seem to have any issues in the lower zones in fact this thinning out business is actually making people not zerg so much and follow each other around in a group they met and did an event well with which is what I believe the point of the dynamic system was for.

I can easily under stand low pop server players complaining about the lack of players maybe even medium server pop but high and full I don’t think would have any such issues getting players to come around in any zone at anytime of play.

Edit:
This thread is both deceivingly titled and between the occasional opinion vs validation post it appears to be mostly one person enforcing his or her belief of an issue over and over again with out actually discussing what he or she could do to resolve the issue for themselves then when someone else post something they can do or try to change their mind they go back to spewing denial of self action. I currently see the solution for this one person and that is to migrate servers to one with more players that are on during the timezone he or she is playing. Unofficial oceanic server or not this does not mean that most of the oceanic players are not on another unofficial oceanic server and the current one they are on could be populated more with US residents.

While this will not solve the underlying issue that this person believes to exist it is a solution for the person in question and that should be enough for the for mentioned person stop enforcing an invalid prediction before trying out other servers to see if its a trend or just their server that has an issue with population.

While I can understand the frustration that this person must be experiencing coming here and calling foul without actually trying to resolve the issue is pretty foolish.

(edited by LED Head.2439)

Posted by: Deacon.6249

Deacon.6249

First I’ll say that I have no information whatsoever of good or bad news.

Second, It seems rather premature for one person on one server in one part of the world, to suggest a pattern or problem when all they see is what is happening at their play time.

Slug Nugget, Asura Warrior, Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: ZannX.4058

ZannX.4058

My alt is constantly in an overflow… on one of the lowest pop servers. I honestly don’t see what OP is talking about.

I think the player distribution is top heavy as well as bottom heavy. Maybe the mid level ranges are more scarce.

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

All i know is most of the time theres enough people around for any given DE.

Maybe only once or twice have i seen a DE with no one…and when you shout out in /m, ppl usually respond, given they want to complete their daily, or even monthly…

And when you’re less doing a DE, its even more fun.

Posted by: LED Head.2439

LED Head.2439

My alt is constantly in an overflow… on one of the lowest pop servers. I honestly don’t see what OP is talking about.

I think the player distribution is top heavy as well as bottom heavy. Maybe the mid level ranges are more scarce.

I vouch for this opinion whenever I leave any non instance zone I am put on overflow from 30 minutes to an hour. This happens every time I exit a solo instance or a grouped instance such as a dungeon even in the low level zones. However I can see what the OP is talking about I too have played mmo for over 14 years and tried multiple just like the OP has however I can only see the issue being minor and localized to the server they are on which happens with every mmo.

It cannot be as bad as the OP is trying to make this out to be if Anet only recently just re opened purchasing the game digitally from their online store, The digital purchase store was closed for a while due to servers being FULL constantly making it difficult for people who got the game a little after early launch to join the servers their friends were on.

In light of this issue they closed off the digital store which was the right move from the players point of view so that the current players could settle and migrate but it would have hurt Anet’s wallet a little as many of the people who wanted the game could not buy it online and they were on twitter and facebook feeds screaming about how they cannot even buy the game and being told to buy a boxed edition or wait for the re opening of the store.

(edited by LED Head.2439)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I am on Gunnar’s Hold and I have never seen a low pop- I am lucky if I’m not in the overflow and I play at various times during the day not just peak time.

I have found that I actively seek out the DE’s with less players because they are more rewarding in terms of fun for me.
I have completed DE’s by myself and I play a Mesmer- had to be more careful but it is not that hard- if it is too hard, I ask for help.
I think that a smaller pop is actually beneficial to DE’s because with a huge zerg the default setting of the DE stays on best outcome so the chain get’s nipped in the bud and the world stays static- this is when you repeat the exact same DE over and over.
You also get much more teamwork in smaller groups and people end up traveling together to do stuff- all in all a much more enjoyable experience than a giant zerg with seizure inducing effects that is over before you can target properly.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

I’m playing one character through level 20-30 areas and another through level 30-40 levels and am still always dumped into overflow and find people everywhere in these zones on my server.