My problem with the new camera

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HighFail.9403

HighFail.9403

I’ve been sitting here for, like, 30 minutes, utterly failing to put my whining into an eloquent paragraph. So I’ll just be blunt about it.

What I’m asking for, summarized: When the option is DISABLED, have the camera as it was before the patch. When the option is ENABLED, have the camera be at EYE level, and not resting on top his head like a hat. This may only apply to humans.

Also, one of the changes introduced today makes me feel like I’m going to vomit at any second, but I don’t know which one. I suspect FOV, but fiddling with the slider has so far fixed nothing. It might be because everything seems “squished” now, like a giant squished the view with its fingers or something.

I’ve attached a comparison. On the left, “Adjust Camera to Character Height” is enabled, and zoomed all the way in without first person. In the middle, Character Height is disabled. On the right is a screenshot from before the patch.

Attachments:

(edited by HighFail.9403)

Posted by: Xuro.5861

Xuro.5861

Same, had to log off due to motion sickness, first time in 16 years I experienced that from a game.

That plus the new fps issues, very disappointing.

HighFail.9403

I’d hate for this update to be what prevents me from playing the game. I love this game, but I doubt I’d force myself to play it whilst retching.

Posted by: Makovorn.1706

Makovorn.1706

When I logged in, the camera view/feel was basically exactly the way I left it before the patch, until I started to adjust the various settings to my liking (which is great btw).

The idea with all the options and sliders, was to give players … options, so you can easily go back to exactly the way things were if you like to. In my oppinion, these are the BEST additions ArenaNet has ever done to GW2 … ever.

The camera height to character height check box, the vertical slider and extra FoV gives this game an amazing new look and feel (if you choose to use it).

HighFail.9403

You know that feeling when you put someone else’s glasses on for fun, then everything feels wrong and you might puke? That’s the feeling I get when I try to play now. And no matter how much one messes with the options, you’ll never get it to the way it was before.

I’m not saying “I feel like puking” just because I don’t like it. The way it is now makes me physically ill. I am unhappy with these changes.

Posted by: DingDon.9580

DingDon.9580

You know that feeling when you put someone else’s glasses on for fun, then everything feels wrong and you might puke? That’s the feeling I get when I try to play now. And no matter how much one messes with the options, you’ll never get it to the way it was before.

I’m not saying “I feel like puking” just because I don’t like it. The way it is now makes me physically ill. I am unhappy with these changes.

Remember to turn off the camera shakes. They’re much slower now and causing the dizzyness at the first place. But I also feel that something is not right when I start playing. It passes after couple of minutes as I get used to way the camera works, but in fact, the view is not intuitive and “stable” anymore.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, I get that wobbly feeling too. I can replicate the ‘old’ settings and things work fine, but yesterday’s experiments with greater FOV and character height led to a lot of shaky-cam. And first-person mode in combat was a blurb of WTF. I can people being amused by it, but it was just limbs and torsos everywhere.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Agree, I also disabled camera shaking instantly I was moving , It’s the firt time I got mtion sickness after I purposely stopped playing FPS, simulators and racers…. I hate FP-play to such a degree I returned games, or just threw ‘m away. toggling makes a difference I hope it’ll stay okay. The idiotic zooming and moving of the camera causes probles with lighting on screen as well causing problems due to my photo sensitive epilepsy, In cases I had problems with all flashes (read overdosis of particle effects) I tried to move the camera so could avoid this, I do not understand the camera at present but I do not manage anymore to avoid this.

Can we not get a checkbox for the CLASSIC CAMERA BEHAVIOUR?

I cannot play with this set, I dislike the camera, do not care for thee world completion being “easier”, I play necro anyways in WvW so I coudn’t care about stability
I do not care for the dmg nerf on low scale , it is useless as well, and I REALLY HATE ALL THE STUPID BUGS!

Maybe a full rollback would be better.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Just hit the reset to default button …

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

For those experiencing motion sickness. Turn off camera shake. BOOM – your problem is solved.

For most everyone else – if you set the FOV to roughly 3/4 of the slider, that gives what appears to be 90 degree FOV, which is what literally every other AAA game on the planet has as it’s default.

With those two done, camera and the vertical and horizontal sliders left alone, you have what is the default view for most games.

For those who want the “classic” camera back. Restore to default, then unclick the camera shake. That is exactly where the camera sat pre-update.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I don’t have a problem with the new camera adjustments. Some of the adjustments have been interesting to play with, but I am pretty much using a default view with a bit wider fov, and it works great. Not sure what these people who are complaining of motion sickness are doing to the camera view to cause that. Must have something to do with the camera shake, which I have turned to off.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Perhaps the nausea is from bigger field of view causing the lower FPS everyone’s having. That means when you rotate, things are more jumpy.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Honestly the only difference I’ve noticed is that the zooming in and out isn’t as smooth as it was, and the slight overall fps knock.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

For most everyone else – if you set the FOV to roughly 3/4 of the slider, that gives what appears to be 90 degree FOV, which is what literally every other AAA game on the planet has as it’s default.

90? Try 65.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I didn’t touch a thing, never even opened the Options yesterday, and everything seemed the same as prior to the update. I too get motion sick from games. Even the charr running does it for me. So by not fiddling with anything, I did not experience the queasiness.

So try like they say to return to default and turn off the shake, and see if that helps.

stale.9785

Fermi, it can’t be 65. That was the launch default FoV, which is essentially all the way left on the slider.

Were that the forced FoV, we’d be back to having everyone and their dog complaining about motion sickness, because such an unnaturally low FoV WILL cause problems for most people.

Aslo, Fermi – as in Enrique Fermi?

Later, eh?

Stale

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Hey all, been reading your feedback. I’m sad to hear that the camera changes are causing you some ‘queasiness’. While the default fov has not changed we have been receiving a few reports on some fps loss as well as an increase in camera shake. This may be a potential cause of said ‘queasiness’.

Disabling camera shake may help.

(edited by Branden Gee.2150)

Posted by: Tiscan.8345

Tiscan.8345

Actually, disabling the UI helps a lot more… FPS increases A LOT if you disable it.

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

Hey all, been reading your feedback. I’m sad to hear that the camera changes are causing you some ‘queasiness’. While the default fov has not changed we have been receiving a few reports on some fps loss as well as an increase in camera shake. This may be a potential cause of said ‘queasiness’.

So is the default option for the camera in this patch literally the exact same as the default camera pre-patch? I just want to know. I feel like the game is giving me a headache even with default options, and shake turned off. It seems like something changed.

Also, can the team look into separate options for camera shake on skills and in the environment? Pre-patch there was environment shake from things like falling rocks, which was fine. Post-patch added the shake on attacks which is nauseating. The problem is the camera shake option disables everything, even the environment shake that was fine.

(edited by Darmikau.9413)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So is the default option for the camera in this patch literally the exact same as the default camera pre-patch? I just want to know.

Also, can the team look into separate options for camera shake on skills and in the environment? Pre-patch there was environment shake from things like falling rocks, which was fine. Post-patch added the shake on attacks which is nauseating. The problem is the camera shake option disables everything, even the environment shake that was fine.

Attacks shook the camera before the patch. I remember mace #2 on guardian shook the camera. I vaguely remember someone saying that every attack shakes the camera now but I haven’t verified it myself as I wasn’t able to find where to toggle it since the update.

Darmikau.9413

Some attacks did, like Warrior’s Earthshaker. Most didn’t.

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I never play with camera shake on so that really doesn’t seem to be the issue for me. Guess I’ll have to play with the HUD off.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Fermi, it can’t be 65. That was the launch default FoV, which is essentially all the way left on the slider.

No, most AAA titles (eg CoD) are 65 deg horizontal FoV by default. GW2’s default before the update was 70 deg horizontal (50 vertical, calculated for a 16:9 monitor)

Were that the forced FoV, we’d be back to having everyone and their dog complaining about motion sickness, because such an unnaturally low FoV WILL cause problems for most people.

And even if it doesn’t cause queasiness (I never had issues with it, for example), it’s incredibly annoying because you just can’t really see anything.

Indeed

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

stale.9785

Indeed [/quote]

Awesome, sir!

Darmikau.9413

Okay, this will probably sound weird, but I’m having issues only when I have “Adjust Camera to Character Height” enabled. With that setting on, and everything else default, the game makes me motion sick when I move around. However, when I disable the option and tick the vertical camera position to the right (so that at the same zoom level it simulates adjusting to character height) it seems fine.

I could just be imagining things, I don’t know, but adjusting to character height seems to be doing something that’s making me nauseous.

(edited by Darmikau.9413)

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I am posting here to confirm that something is definitely amiss with “camera shake”. I`m a scepter dagger necro and the shake with such a rapid fire weapon is plain crazy in third person mode. Once turned off, all was well, but I was surprised that it was so disorientating. I didn’t even know scepter had that effect to begin with, as I only ever used to see shake when using my greatsword warrior.

HighFail.9403

Thanks for chiming in, guys. It’s good to know people are listening. It may look like I’m just whining because things aren’t 100% perfect right now, but I promise I’m not… or at least, I’m not trying to.

Now, I’m going to be incredibly anal and nit-picky about this. Someone has to, right? Before I go on about the motion sickness, I need to say this: the “restore defaults” button does not make it as it was before. Look at the image I attached in the first post. See the little lines at the end of his pant legs? If “restore defaults” really did change it to JUST LIKE before, the middle example would line up with the one on the right, right? But they don’t. The camera in the middle is lower. Like I said, nit-picky and anal. You can even see his shoes in the middle example. Turning the “vertical alignment” all the way up didn’t get the camera high enough, and then when I zoom out with that, the camera just flies away. While that looks very nice (especially in cities, with the camera as zoomed out as possible) I find it hard to navigate that way, and combat could get very strange.

With “adjust camera to character height” enabled, I was expecting the camera to be eye level with my characters, but it’s not. It’s at the eye level of someone a head taller than my dude’s. It’s like if the camera was a fancy hat sitting atop my character’s head. And forgive me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the camera already ‘adjust for height"? I know it wasn’t head level (More like upper-chest level, which I liked and want back) but it still changed. Maybe my opinion on this particular subject is invalid because I only have human characters….

As for Camera Shake, while that certainly was not helping my stomach, I was feeling sick even without it. I suspect it has something to do with the FoV, the way the background was [interacting or clashing or whatever the word for it] with the “center” of the frame, or/and how everything feels “squished” like a giant cosmic being pinched the whole of reality. I wish I could explain it better. Look at the image again and compare the middle with the right. A friend (I swear he exists) agreed with me that my character looked thinner in the left and middle examples. (That is such a petty thing to say, isn’kitten “My friend said I was right so I must be”)

Again, thank you for your efforts, everyone. Together, we may just forge a solution in which we are all happy. Look at me being all ‘cool’, typing with metaphors and stuff.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Without touching any settings except height that was ticked on and off (was curious)… it feel exactly the same as before. I cant tell any difference and I am usually quite sensetive to poor camera/unsynched movement in games. I have to see if I have any old character screenshots that I can replicate.