My random idea for end game gear progression

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DenimChicken.8639

DenimChicken.8639

PVE gear progression seems to be largely cosmetic once ascended gear is attained. In my opinion, it makes items feel less unique and worth attaining. I know Arenanet doesn’t want to have different tiers of armor/weapon strength so newer players aren’t at a disadvantage. But I had this idea that might make gear progression a little funner for people who want armor to have more than just a different skin.

I had the idea of having specific armor/weapons in the game with special combat effects that once attained, can be transmuted to other armor pieces that are lvl 80. Now these combat effects would be very minor, similar to how stats on ascended are only minor increases from exotic.

For example: Some gear piece like medium Gloves you get from doing events/achievements has the special effect: “increase pistol range by 20”, or “increase critical hit chance by 0.5%”

These effects would be minor, but would make people feel that urge to complete more pve content to attain these sought after items, without causing a huge imbalance like WOW gear did, and might even indirectly increase transmutation charge sales. It would keep the game newb friendly and also appease to those min/maxers out there.

Lemme know what you all think!

Posted by: LegACy.1296

LegACy.1296

No.

Also, there’s already that agony infusions with +5 stats if you truly want to max stuff.

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

It’s prety neat

I like it

(edited by Leohart.4610)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Wrong game.

Random generic MMO gear grinder is -> way

The current state of pve gear already has enough people complaining about the effort they have to put in to aquire it. Arenanet have state multiple times that they are happy with the current design.

Introducing any type of new grind or devaluing of gear would severly damage the game.

If you want to min/max your gear, go for what LegACy said:

No.

Also, there’s already that agony infusions with +5 stats if you truly want to max stuff.

Full set of +5 power infusions will cost you a good 2-3k gold. Getting multiple legendarys will also set you back 2-3k gold per legendary.

The core game was advertised as “no grind”. Now arenanet have taken quite a few steps away from that idea, and each one was followed by outrage from a big part of the playerbase. As is, big parts of the playerbase do NOT want an “urge” to complete more content for minor gear increases.

Always be aware of who your target audience is. Though I’m sure some players in WoW would be quite happy for Blizzard to slow down in their devaluing of gear, they’re at hyperspeed in shoving in new gear tiers.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I would like more gear attached to achievements but not with a stat increase.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I love how Blade and Soul does gear progression.

Costumes at higher levels offer faction allegiances. Makes NPCs either friendly or hostile to you and allows you to fight player characters wearing an opposing faction costume. There are many factions, so many costumes.

Weapons evolve by feeding them other weapons. Once you max a weapon, it requires being fed a specific leveled weapon in order to evolve. Upgrading it’s appearance.

These things are pretty time consuming depending on how much you want to explore them, and there’s always that excitement of what will come next.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Some kind of “Weapon Fusion System” is something I’d like to see for GW2 as part of Character Progression as an alternative way to obtain over time your character with maximized equipment.

Say for example every Equipment Rarity is linked to an Equipment Level.

Common = Level 0
Fine = Level 1
Masterwork = Level 2
Rare = Level 3
Exotic = Level 4
Ascended/Legendary = Level 5 / 5 plus Star

To refine your for exaample Lvl 80 masterwork weapon to a level 80 rare weapo,n you would have to fuse it with other masterwork weapons to increase weapon grade, which is basically an experience bar for weapons to be evolved by a fittign crafting job to its next rarity grade, or by its weapon level, if you want to refine a low level item to a higher level item to increase its worth this way.

This way would become all the blue and green trash in this game alot more valuable, because it would receive more meaning, as it could be used then as valuable fusion material to improve your equipment slowly, but steadily in either its weapon level, or its weapon grade to increase its rarity and this way its max stats, if the item already is an lvl 80 item and could get only this way higher stats to reach the maximum.

B&S has in many little aspects some better mechanics, than GW2 and personalyl i find it not surprising, that this game comes now finally after some years where it was extremely successful in the east now also finally to the west localized.
Its strong competition from basically the nearly own house, as it is a NCSoft development – a game that got developed and released in the same year as like GW2, where ANet was still not also self publisher of the game, but NCSoft instead.

However, more powercreep in equipment, regardless how small it is, is somethign that I don#t want to see.
GW2 needs to become finalyl again more alt character friendly my removing finalyl this stupid time gatign around crafting ascended equipment and adding more ways in how you can obtain ascended equipment, than through crafting, fractals and raids only.
The other parts of the game – especialyl dungeons, wvw and word bosses/achievements on the side of PvE need to become more reliable sources of income for ascneded equipment. Caftign should be only 1 reliable way, but not the only one and this than event under pointless time gates, that absolutely aren’t needed anymore by now…

If you are such a min/maxer, the terrible super grind of infusions will surely be the thign for you OP, if you need such tiny differences in power SOOOO MUCH, just to feel yourself better

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside