My review after playing for two weeks.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aih.6892

Aih.6892

I won’t speak about pvp here simply because i never pvp.
I also am a roleplayer, but i won’t take that into account, for the majority of players don’t roleplay.
In bold are the key sentences if you don’t feel like reading all

I will start with what i enjoyed so far :

- I like how the races look different, ie the Sylvary are not just classical elves, they have something different, i like how the cultures, the ambiances of these races feel different too. There is a lore, a background which makes you feel that you are not in another of these generic fantasy worlds.
- I find the world beautiful, the zones are quite various and fun to explore. I especially enjoy to reach the vistas, some are really tricky and it adds a very welcome change to the classical mmorpgs activities.
- I enjoy to gain xp not only for killing and completing quests, but also for exploring, gathering materials, crafting and even reviving npcs or other players.
- I like how the personnal story will vary, depending on which options you have choosen while creating your character (even if i must admit that this part has not much to do with an mmorpg, but more with a solo game).

Now here are the points i didn’t like, and which make me feel that i won’t last long in this game :

- After the first 5-10 levels (depending on which class you play) i have all my weapon skills. Then basically i will be playing all the same way until 80. No sens of progression for my character, which is one of the biggest incentives in rpgs, be they mmos or not.
- Really not much variety in weapons, armors and civilian clothes, meaning that my character will also pretty much always look the same all the way to 80.
- They have cheated us with the quests system. In fact the hearts are nothing else than a quest, except than you don’t have to talk to the npc before to start the quest. So basically there is 1 quest by level !!!
- The “dynamic” events are not changing the world at all, (wait, let’s be fair : sometimes a waypoint won’t be available, that’s all what it can change). They are just normal quests which are not always dispo. I like them, but they are nothing revolutionary. In fact this game is not different than the classical mmorpgs. But despite the way they present it, there is less content in terms of questing, and the higher you climb in levels, the worse it gets (to be fair, that is not really a surprise for a release, i must admit).

Posted by: Aih.6892

Aih.6892

- No sens of group while playing with other players. Each person has to take care for himself, and there’s no tool to organize strategies, to support each others concretly (i come from Lotro where teamwork means a lot in dungeons, and we really have there wonderful tools to create strategies and coordinate our actions).
- There are theorically some skills and combos for that, but their effects are usually ridiculously short and their cool down ridiculously long. so basically you can’t really CC for example.
- The way the agro is managed is a total mystery, so there’s no way to build any strategy on this aspect neither. It feels random.
- The fights feel messy, and the targeting system unfinished. For example “nearest target” often doesn’t select the nearest target, the camera is often getting mad when my char is fighting many ennemies, and then when i want to rotate, sometimes it rotates in the wrong direction, making me lose precious seconds to be again able to have a correct view of the battle. It all feels clumsy and not enough tested.
- When there are many monsters, many players, and many skill effects, it becomes impossible to see what in happening, or even to select the right target manually if the other targeting systems fail to select the right target.
Personally, the camera issues are a game-breaker for me. There should be at least an option to always align the camera behind the back of my character, and the rotation issue should be fixed asap. They give you skills which last 2-3 seconds, but you need more time to just have a correct view of what is happening…
- I’m aware that the game is not yet balanced in difficulty, some events/stories episodes/dungeons are easy and some very frustrating because unfair (sudden apparition of legions of mobs out of nowhere for no reason nor warning while you are already engaged in fight, larges zones of deadly conditions endlessly spammed by some monsters…), but i feel like it will take long before they can balance everything for every classes.
- They advertised a great number of skills, but in fact for each class, there is only a very limited number of them. The main difference after the baby levels will be in the traits, but it doesn’t make the gameplay richer. If there was not the exploration, i would have already given up.

And that will be my conclusion : i find the gameplay poor compared to the many mmorpgs i have regulary played since 1999. Of course compared to the F2P trash clones we are flooded with nowadays it may feel richer, but compared to the “real” mmorpgs, i’m sorry to say that i find the gameplay very shallow and boring, for after the few first levels nothing will evoluate.

This is just my opinion, my review. I’d be very glad to read your own experience and feelings about the game. But please, if you are going to write steril and dismissive comments such as “learn to play” or “go back to WoW” then just forget this threat, for it’s not the point and just a matter of taste.

Posted by: Rhoame.6917

Rhoame.6917

I like the game so far. I am not “in love” with the game the same way I was with D2, EQ or Wow, but I am not sure that I am not just burnt out on MMOs. I do like the world a lot. I love the jumping puzzles and the storyline quest. I do not like targeting even a little bit. I find combat to be somewhat cumbersome and repetitive…and I cannot imagine going through to level 80 using the same 5 skills over and over and over. This is a combat oriented game and yet the combat aspect of the game is deficient (to me at least). I really want to be immersed in this game and I just dont feel that it is happening at the moment.

Posted by: Fenrir.4915

Fenrir.4915

To be true, i liked the pve and levelling content.
After some levels gets really repetitive, but ok, it´s fine.
I agree with you, you will be the same guy, with the same skills, with the same looking from level 10 to 80.

But i think the fact is that Anet selled and build a image of revolution, and many people believed that, and theres no revolution.

The thing that most make me “mad” is the lack of 80´s content.
And the missing of a good PVP.

Compared to another mmos, like WoW ( haters and fanboys , please be reallistics ) GW is a big step behind.

You can play wow life FOREVER, you have so many things to do.
GW you basically will level from 1 to 80 and thats it.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Well of course everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but these kinds of reviews baffle me. It sounds like you’re playing a different game from the one I’m playing!

I feel that dynamic events do change the world around me a lot (not earlier on where zergs are beating everything and nipping things in the bud, but later on, when some events “fail” because there are fewer players to join in at key points, there can be quite lot of variation within in the zones over time). I think the gameplay is extremely rich and rewarding (combos are a major key to the added depth, I’ve only recently realized). The PvP is amongst the best I’ve experienced in any game, both from the poit of view of intrinsic fun and from the point of view of the way it’s organized and set up.

Posted by: Bigtimmbo.8409

Bigtimmbo.8409

I like the game, but it is by far not my favorite MMO. I think some of the ideas are great and progressive, but in the end its just the same old thing. Im not getting a great vibe from the social aspect either. You see some chatter in the chat window, but as far as gameplay, it just seems like its every man for himself. I wish there were more sense of community other than “Oooh there is an orange circle over there…..gotta run over and spam my abilities!!!”

The combat…..where to begin. Getting one shotted and having to do the downed combat thing is pointless. As soon as you are up, and throw on your heal….BOOM you are down again. Whats the point? A plate wearing warrior should not get downed in 2 hits. He should be able to stand his ground and fight without having to circle strafe in order to stay alive. You should not fear more than one mob around you.

Mob spawning…….AAAAGGGG! Why is it that you will kill something, bend down to get the loot, and sometimes the mob respawns instantly.

Ill keep playing for a while. Its not like Im having to pay for it. (thanks for that by the way ArenaNet). I just dont see how this can end up being a long term game for players.

Posted by: xyanide.4607

xyanide.4607

To be true, i liked the pve and levelling content.
After some levels gets really repetitive, but ok, it´s fine.
I agree with you, you will be the same guy, with the same skills, with the same looking from level 10 to 80.

But i think the fact is that Anet selled and build a image of revolution, and many people believed that, and theres no revolution.

The thing that most make me “mad” is the lack of 80´s content.
And the missing of a good PVP.

Compared to another mmos, like WoW ( haters and fanboys , please be reallistics ) GW is a big step behind.

You can play wow life FOREVER, you have so many things to do.
GW you basically will level from 1 to 80 and thats it.

You say this game lacks good PvP, and then go on to say that GW2 is a step behind WoW, you are clearly trolling

Posted by: pmiles.3489

pmiles.3489

I like how the social aspect it the developers fault. Like they have to go out and introduce you to their friends… spark the conversation for you. I will bet, with 100% certainty, that those complaining about a lack of community or socialization, don’t say a thing in chat. Don’t say “Hi!” to those passing by. Don’t engage in any conversation at all.

The funniest part of all is that even in their so-called dream land MMO where everyone says there is all this socialization… there’s none at all unless someone speaks to someone else… and not just to rant… but actually talk as friends.

You can spend 90% of your day on your phone, on facebook, in email, chatting it up about absolutely nothing… you get into game and expect everyone else to do the talking for you. The developer’s can’t prod you into making friends. You have to do that. It’s an epic challenge… one that few ever even try to attempt.

Bigtimmbo.8409

I like how the social aspect it the developers fault. Like they have to go out and introduce you to their friends… spark the conversation for you. I will bet, with 100% certainty, that those complaining about a lack of community or socialization, don’t say a thing in chat. Don’t say “Hi!” to those passing by. Don’t engage in any conversation at all.

The funniest part of all is that even in their so-called dream land MMO where everyone says there is all this socialization… there’s none at all unless someone speaks to someone else… and not just to rant… but actually talk as friends.

You can spend 90% of your day on your phone, on facebook, in email, chatting it up about absolutely nothing… you get into game and expect everyone else to do the talking for you. The developer’s can’t prod you into making friends. You have to do that. It’s an epic challenge… one that few ever even try to attempt.

Ok I can see where you are coming from, but the game just does not seemed designed for that kind of interaction. I rarely see actual groups of players out doing things. Mostly it is the lone wolf going from heart to heart and just getting xp. Pretty much the only chat bubbles I see are the ones where someone is thanking them for helping with a rez. Nobody sticks around a questing area enough to actually strike up a conversation.

I have actually tried getting a group started with others on the early levels and the response was either a complete snub and they run off, or “whats the point in grouping”. Im not asking for anyone to do the talking for me. Obviously there is no point in it.

Posted by: AstroCat.7628

AstroCat.7628

Sorry you didn’t like the game, good luck with your next one. Really not sure why you felt the need to publicly say all that but whatever, if you are not going to like the game, stop and move on, why bother with the post here?

It seems to be a waste of time to even counter your comments, who cares, you are done and gone.

Wardens of Destiny – Tarnished Coast
M: Aedan Nightshade (Sylvari Necromancer)

(edited by AstroCat.7628)

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

I cannot possibly disagree with the OP any more.
I am 42, been playing MMOs since Ultima Online. I have played it all.
GW2 simply has the best gameplay I’ve ever experienced in an MMO.
I am sorry you could not enjoy it.

Posted by: AstroCat.7628

AstroCat.7628

And for the record I’m 100% with @darkwombat.3695. Same experience level as well.

Wardens of Destiny – Tarnished Coast
M: Aedan Nightshade (Sylvari Necromancer)

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

Please stop saying there is no progression.

Every RPG, no every GAME does not use skill based progression, every game uses zone/level based progression. I cannot think of one game that doesn’t. Roguelikes use it, platformers use it, RPGs use it.

The progression is there, it isn’t even hidden away, it’s in plain sight.

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

- After the first 5-10 levels No sens of progression for my character, which is one of the biggest incentives in rpgs
Isn’t it better to have all your skills early, so you can choose the best skill set for a given situation, instead of being forced to play an inefficient build? The fact that you play the same build till level 80 is your own fault. You have every opportunity to change not only your weapon skills, but also your healing skill, utilities, your elite skill, and your major traits.

- not much variety in weapons, armors and civilian clothes
That’s because you need to use transmutation stones. In Guild Wars 2, great looking armor is equally valuable to great stats. So when you find or buy a good looking weapon/armor, don’t throw it away.

- there is 1 quest by level !!!
Heart events are not the primary quest system of Guild Wars 2, dynamic events are. Heart events were not even suppose to be in the game, but were put in later because players couldn’t find out what to do on their own.

- The “dynamic” events are not changing the world at all
The dynamic events we have seen so far aren’t everything there necessarily is to see. ArenaNet have been very busy trying to polish the game so far, so there haven’t been a lot of changes to the game. But when things start to settle down, we should start to see new and bigger dynamic events occur. Or at least, that’s what we’ve been promised..

- No sens of group
You just have to actually talk with people. You know, like in the real world. I have been playing the game pretty much solo all the way (level 58 now), and I have still had plenty of experience’s with random people that made me feel like I was part of a group.

- so basically you can’t really CC for example.
Yes you can, it’s just not as easy as other games. The Warrior, Engineer, and Mesmer are brilliant at control, if you build them correctly.

- The way the agro is managed is a total mystery
There is no holy trinity character system in the game, so it wouldn’t make much sense if agro was build up around a holy trinity system. The roles of each player is much more streamlined in this game, so therefor the bosses/mobs also has to reflect that. Strategy comes from everyone contributing equally. You need to get the holy trinity out of your head, and start thinking of Guild Wars 2 as co-op game, then it will make sense to you.

- Personally, the camera issues are a game-breaker for me. There should be at least an option to always align the camera behind the back of my character, and the rotation issue should be fixed asap.
If you hold your right mouse button down, the camera stays behind your character. Left mouse button moves the camera independently of your characters movement. Next to that you can also add keys for ‘look behind you’ and ‘turn 180’.

- but i feel like it will take long before they can balance everything for every classes.
Professions are constantly being balanced. Bigger issues takes longer time. If you really feel like this is a problem, then leave the game and come back in a few months. A lot of people do this.

- The main difference after the baby levels will be in the traits, but it doesn’t make the gameplay richer.
There are a ton of skills options, I’m not sure why you can’t see that? Traits only seem unimportant to you because you add one trait point at a time. Try and go into the Mists (structured PvP training area), and play around with the whole trait system and your skills. Make a few different builds for fun, and test them on NPC dummies. When you look at it as a whole, you will see that it makes a big difference how you choose to build your character.

i find the gameplay very shallow and boring, for after the few first levels nothing will evoluate.
I find it strange that even though you have played MMOs for so long, you still decide to judge Guild Wars 2 based on the first few levels? Surely you must know that an MMO can’t really be judge until you reach max level.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Zen.1740

Zen.1740

Every RPG, no every GAME does not use skill based progression, every game uses zone/level based progression. I cannot think of one game that doesn’t. Roguelikes use it, platformers use it, RPGs use it.

So you progress to level 80, by progressing through the numbered rectangle mountain zones, that’s very true. What other sense of progression is there outside of story?

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2,
no one enjoys that, no one finds it fun.” – Colin Johanson
R.I.P. in piece, Guild Wars 2, August 2012 – September 2012

Bigtimmbo.8409

Having expressed my negatives about the game, I feel its only fair to list what I do like about GW2.

Obviously the price is nice. A game of this calibur without a monthly fee is really nice.

The graphics are insanely good for an MMO. There have been more than one time where I just stop and go WOAH that is cool.

Voice acting – Top notch. I play an Asura, and I love the voice acting and the attitude of those guys.

Stability – I have very little lag, which is always a good thing.

Combat – I do like the combat. There are some aspects of it that I don’t prefer, but on the whole, it is nice to have something different than “stand here, shoot shoot shoot…mob dies” I play a Mesmer, and I really like the mechanics of the class.

Is Guild Wars 2 the game that will finally break my WoW addiction. Ill put it this way. I logged into wow for the first time last night in about 2 weeks. I queued up for an instance on one of my alts, and got about half way through it before just getting ultra bored and logging off. LOL I actually at one point tried to do a double tap dodge move in wow……it didnt work.

GW2 is off to a great start so far. I also get the feeling that the devs actually care about our gaming experience which is a big plus in my book.

Untouch.2541

So you progress to level 80, by progressing through the numbered rectangle mountain zones, that’s very true. What other sense of progression is there outside of story?

Content, like every game released ever.

Zen.1740

Which content?

How does seeing 2 clone Norn NPCs standing idly next to each other in a SW:TOR-level deserted Hoelbrak have to do with progressing your character?

How does looking at a vista or a point of interest of a shed in the middle of a map progress your character?

Outside of your story, or accumulating skill points that are required for legendary weapons or other League of Legend skills, which content are you talking about?

What does your character gain? How does your Necromancer distinguish itself from the others?

Untouch.2541

Which content?

How does seeing 2 clone Norn NPCs standing idly next to each other in a SW:TOR-level deserted Hoelbrak have to do with progressing your character?

How does looking at a vista or a point of interest of a shed in the middle of a map progress your character?

Outside of your story, or accumulating skill points that are required for legendary weapons or other League of Legend skills, which content are you talking about?

What does your character gain? How does your Necromancer distinguish itself from the others?

NPCs in hoelbrak are irrelevant to this, I mean going through the zones, seeing everything. If every zone was the same thing but you could unlock new skills (I mean you can already, but en more), would that be fine?

Zen.1740

NPCs in hoelbrak are irrelevant to this, I mean going through the zones, seeing everything. If every zone was the same thing but you could unlock new skills (I mean you can already, but en more), would that be fine?

If every zone was the same thing? But it is. A zone full of Ice Wurm standing still, waiting for a player to come in to aggro range. Followed by a zone full of Centaur standing still, waiting for a player to come in to aggro range. All inside a rectangle zone cut off by mountains. All with ‘go here’ points of interest required for exploration titles (note that there are no titles that my character has got, despite having most of the world map explored, where as there were in GW1).

What does that ‘content’ have to do with progression, except giving you XP to get to level 80 (a marketing number for Wrath of the Lich King players who think that higher numbers are better than lower numbers).

They said in their manifesto video that NPCs would be doing things, be involved in events and that you wouldn’t have to go out in the world in this, and I quote “boring grind”. Yet no, you have to fight through idle NPCs just like any other generic MMO on the market, just to get to places, and what’s worse is they respawn so soon after it and will probably get in your way again on the way back.

How does any of that “progress” your character? Please explain because I don’t see it.