My thank you to the developers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vyshe.7940

Vyshe.7940

I just wanted to take a moment to thank the developers for creating and maintaining a game that I actually WANT to spend money on. One of my previous favorite game companies (which shall remain unnamed) along with many other companies have resorted to this “free” model in which there are hidden pay walls.

I’m glad that I only have to buy the game and its expansions and that there are no hidden features that I will be forced to pay for.

Please keep running the game like it has been so that I actually want to spend money on it, rather than feeling forced to. There is a lot to be said for no hidden fees.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Welcome Vyshe. You are right. It is a pretty special game. You just have to be disciplined while browsing the gem store (I’m not) and you will be fine.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

No, there aren’t hidden pay walls. Just invisible walls in the oddest places. lol.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think the mostly did the cash shop right. I’m not in favor of some of the more RNG stuff that’s in the cash shop, but mostly it’s very good. Particularly compared to most of the other non-subscription games I’ve played.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Best cash shop, business model in general, that I have encountered since GW1.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

I agree, GW2 has an excellent player-friendly business model. Buy the game and you are good to go as there is nothing in the gem shop that is needed to enjoy the game or to remain competitive with the rest of the player-base. So refreshing.

The only criticism I have is the inclusion of RNG items in the gem store, the ethics of which are questionable in a game played by children but GW2 is not nearly as bad as most games in regards to this issue.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Ditto I probably spend way more than I should on this game, but I don’t regret any of it in the least. Kudos to ANet, and may they bring us many more years of gaming!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

No, there aren’t hidden pay walls. Just invisible walls in the oddest places. lol.

One could argue that there definitely are pay walls.
Anet locked a lot of content that was previously available to everyone behind HoT mastery gates, removed rewards from most non-HoT areas of the game (dungeons etc) and made elite specs so strong that you kinda need them to be able to participate in competitive PvP.

Sure, you can play the game without HoT, but there’s a lot of people that payed 50 euros for the game 2 years ago that suddenly get a lot of content taken away from them, and have to pay another 50 euros to gain access to new content to fill up the gap.

The PvP aspect of this where the HoT specs are a lot stronger is essentially the same as any other pay-to-win model where you buy upgrades or special weapons that have stat advantages over free-to-play ones